Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Emt1581:

Hearing safe indoors in short configuration??

Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
Rugged Mustang is the way to go. Great sounding, very lightweight. I dont bother with my Mask any more

Hearing safe indoors in short configuration??

Thanks!
In short config? Ahh, not sure I rarely run it short. Its so damn light theres no reason to to be honest.

Here it is in long mode on the S&W M&P 22 Compact

Short mode:

And for bonus points, long mode on the Sig 365 9mm

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:20:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sixgunner45] [#2]
About the only things I like to shoot anymore is my .22's with cans.

Cheap, movie quiet and a whole lot of fun.

I've seen tons of videos (even recent ones) and the DeadAir Mask still seems to be the top of the .22 cans.  From decible tests, first round pop and blind tests.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#3]
In short config? Ahh, not sure I rarely run it short. Its so damn light theres no reason to to be honest.

Here it is in long mode on the S&W M&P 22 Compact

https://i.imgur.com/87V4eCJ.jpg

Short mode:

https://i.imgur.com/9iJX4Bo.jpg

And for bonus points, long mode on the Sig 365 9mm

https://i.imgur.com/CA7sMv6.jpg
View Quote

You put a .22lr can on a 9mm?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:42:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThrustMyStoma] [#4]
mask. i have a first year release one. literally everything else except suppressd 22 is basic bitch feeling to shoot. if i added up my 2023 round counts from my shooting pleasure journal i will probably have 6k or less centerfire rifle and pistol and around 30k rimfire pistol and rifle.

do it.  be forewarned everything else will become boring

eta:  i also have a first year sparrow. skip that one unless rifle use only.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By smokie:
'09 aac prodigy here, it gets the most use over my sparrow just on weight alone.
Does any other can come close in weight/diameter? I'd be interested in getting a backup, the sparrow lives on my savage, bu the prodigy is my go to if I do anything but shoot off a bench esp with pistol.
View Quote
For that matter, I'd like to see an M4-2000 stacked against a modern suppressor of comparable duty.

I'm sure it's out there, I've just not looked.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve got an old Spectre II as my only Rimfire can.

Similarly the switchback has my attention. I’d like a shorter lighter option.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:
I've got an old Spectre II as my only Rimfire can.

Similarly the switchback has my attention. I'd like a shorter lighter option.
View Quote
That's a Silencerco, correct?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#8]
sub'd

I am also on the look out to see what is good.  

From my memory the Dead Air Mask was like tier one stuff but I thought I saw a thread where quality now is lacking, not sure if true so take that as a rumor and not a fact.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes

Older cans aren't typically rated for more powerful rimfire rounds.  Like 17hmror 22mqg

I shot a suppressed 17hmr with a Mask and was sold.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#10]

You put a .22lr can on a 9mm?
View Quote
Oh yeah, the Mustang is that good. I put it on my 9mm, sometime the 556.

Course I sure as hell dont pull the trigger.....
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:03:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Sixgunner45:
About the only things I like to shoot anymore is my .22's with cans.

Cheap, movie quiet and a whole lot of fun.

I've seen tons of videos (even recent ones) and the DeadAir Mask still seems to be the top of the .22 cans.  From decible tests, first round pop and blind tests.
View Quote
Time marches on. I won't say there's better options.... But the mask is outdated imo.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By smokie:
'09 aac prodigy here, it gets the most use over my sparrow just on weight alone.
Does any other can come close in weight/diameter? I'd be interested in getting a backup, the sparrow lives on my savage, bu the prodigy is my go to if I do anything but shoot off a bench esp with pistol.
View Quote

the el camino is pretty light, but not sure about lightest.  its a little long compared to some of the others.  not shot it, but was looking at one attached to a gun. felt good.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:09:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scoobysmak] [#13]
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:

I've been accused of being hired to pitch These Cans

They are That Good.
I DO NOT NEED hearing protection when shooting sub-sonic ammo

https://i.postimg.cc/mD6MLZkw/The-Twins.jpg

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/40561/5F58AEB3-A198-4191-B6A5-A25A2F6EF7E9_jpe-2479315.JPG
View Quote

ETA...damn clicking hot links is hard.....
Not likely, if many here are like me they may not know what they are looking at if they are just getting into them and don't already have enough cans to swing a dead cat and hit one...

Probably better to browse the suppressor forum but I would like to see them compared like this:

Brand / Model
Length / Width / weight
Materials used (more to determine if it is ultrasonic safe or what cleaning solutions that can be used)
Comes apart or not to clean
Actual dB level if known and ammo used
Personal opinion of sound: harsh, smooth...etc
Comparison of other cans if they have personally used multiple types/brands (maybe rank them and reason for ranking)
Company reputation
Normal cost

Probably missing something but a start

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:10:17 AM EDT
[#14]

They are That Good.

http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/40561/5F58AEB3-A198-4191-B6A5-A25A2F6EF7E9_jpe-2479315.JPG
View Quote
There we go, narrow enough to use the sights.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:15:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AzzFaceKillah] [#15]
If theres any reason, it is for the .22lr.

I held off the 5.56 because it's still gonna be loud. But .22. shit yeah. Depending on the gun it's gonna sound like a bat shitting on the cave floor.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:08:29 AM EDT
[#16]
2019. Aac prodigy

Lives on my 10/22 and ruger prs

Late 2020

Sparrow

Lives on my tx22's

Been a few years since I need something new
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:40:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DMG-LDS] [#17]
Originally Posted By SeanTX:
OB2D is solid.
Most all 22 cans with subs are very good.
Gemtech used to offer a service to convert your OB to a removable baffle. Not sure if they still do that.

@hater did this a few years ago.
View Quote

I had mine done a few years ago

I also have a Mask,Oculus, and a switchback
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:48:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Cans don't last forever. I have spectre II which gets used far more than my 9mm can or my rifle can.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:09:44 AM EDT
[#19]

They are That Good.

View Quote

If you are posting the manufacturer's link instead of just naming the brand, I can see why they smell a shill.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:17:04 AM EDT
[#20]
No.  

Unless you've got a specific reason that you need a moderately quieter can.  

Even bad cans are good enough to be fun.  If you want a new can, just get a new can.  But you're only doing it because you want one.  Not for much of the benefit.  

You're mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:21:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Are your bills paid? Are you in good financial condition? Then you should do what you want with your remaining disposable income
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:26:05 AM EDT
[#22]

But the aluminum isn't Ultra Sonic safe?

Thanks!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Glocked:

Titanium is Ultra Sonic safe. I coat my rimfire baffles in dielectric grease. 95% just wipes off with a rag, the little bit left usually comes after 30 minutes or so of ultrasonic and warm solution.

I believe it is safe to use CLR soak with titanium too. I don’t use CLR, someone that does can probably say for sure.

But the aluminum isn't Ultra Sonic safe?

Thanks!

I’ve always been told not to use aluminum in ultrasonic.

Not sure if they still do but when the did it was the price of a new can to do it.  Fuck that.  I'd rather have 2 cans.  Looking back I wished I'd gone with the Tac 65 that no one probably remembers anymore but I do.  The OB2 was supposedly quieter so I went with that.  The Tac 65 was able to be taken apart to clean.

I remember the Tac 65. Those and the Tac 67 were our 2 most popular sellers back in the day. The SOT I worked at back then actually bought the last couple hundred of the 67s made back when they stopped making them. My first can was their Tac 16 back around 20 years ago. Their lowers were awesome too, they had a lot of the premium features without the premium prices. I’ve got several of them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:29:18 AM EDT
[#23]
It would be worth reading the tech thread about the Breakthrough Suppressor Cleaner
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Glocked:

Titanium is Ultra Sonic safe. I coat my rimfire baffles in dielectric grease. 95% just wipes off with a rag, the little bit left usually comes after 30 minutes or so of ultrasonic and warm solution.

I believe it is safe to use CLR soak with titanium too. I don't use CLR, someone that does can probably say for sure.
It would be worth reading the tech thread about the Breakthrough Suppressor Cleaner

I’ve kept up with that thread, that stuff looks great. I just haven’t used it yet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:45:03 AM EDT
[#24]
The Mask and TBAC Takedown 22 are my favorites, I find it so much easier to pop the baffles out and toss them in the wet tumbler.  They get spotless with no work and sound amazing.  They are more than light enough for my uses.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:53:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AJE] [#25]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:24:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#26]
Originally Posted By somedude:

the el camino is pretty light, but not sure about lightest.  its a little long compared to some of the others.  not shot it, but was looking at one attached to a gun. felt good.
View Quote

At least in my limited experience with mine, the El Camino is so light (rated at 4.3 ounces) I didn't notice it on my .22 conversion Beretta M9 (factory top-end kit) and I don't notice it on my kid's M&P15-22. It's sufficiently quiet to get smiles from everyone at the range, too.

I want to try a Mustang or Mask next, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with aluminum baffles or another material (the El Camino is stainless steel with a titanium tube).
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I would, but primarily to gain the ability to switch configs (short v long).  Although my cans are quiet, that is something I lack.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:44:15 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a ryder 22a and an osprey 22 but i always seem to go back to my spectreii most of the time.

Shit now i'm going to get on silencershop and see what they have lol. I hate GD sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By HKPDW:
Just bought another AAC Halcyon.  It disassembles as well as you can remove 1/3 the length and make it a super short suppressor.

Very quiet with CCI standard velocity ammo.

https://i.imgur.com/EEHzDdr.jpg
View Quote

Side question: who makes Beretta threaded barrels if you don’t mind me asking? I have a Cheetah .22lr and was curious.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#30]
The cheapest factory or even Form 1 suppressor is going to make .22 sub (which is all I shoot and what most of the good stuff is) hearing safe.  Spend your money on centerfire cans.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:53:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#31]
Originally Posted By macman37:

Side question: who makes Beretta threaded barrels if you don’t mind me asking? I have a Cheetah .22lr and was curious.
View Quote

Depending on your model of .22 Cheetah, you can thread the barrel. Apparently, there was a long and short version of the barrel on the model 87.

Really Old Silencertalk thread on threading a Cheetah .22

I'll see if I can find something else for you.

Tornado Technologies Beretta 87 Threading Service

Allegheny Arms used to thread the .22 Cheetah barrel for silencers and offers threaded .32/.380 barrels, so they could be another chance for threading.

Allegheny Arms Gunsmithing Service

Everywhere I look for the .22 Cheetah barrels it's been discontinued, so I don't think you'll find an off-the-shelf solution.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#32]
My Dead Air Mask is amazing.  

So, yes
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

Depending on your model of .22 Cheetah, you can thread the barrel. Apparently, there was a long and short version of the barrel on the model 87.

Allegheny Arms used to thread the .22 Cheetah barrel for silencers and offers threaded .32/.380 barrels, so they could be another chance for threading.

Everywhere I look for the .22 Cheetah barrels it's been discontinued, so I don't think you'll find an off-the-shelf solution.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

I’ll have to see which kind I have. I know the barrel doesn’t protrude from the front of the slide, but if they were able to thread it and I could get an adapter in there, it could work… 🤔

Thank you for shagging down that info!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#34]

I’ll have to see which kind I have. I know the barrel doesn’t protrude from the front of the slide, but if they were able to thread it and I could get an adapter in there, it could work… 🤔

Thank you for shagging down that info!
View Quote

You're welcome and good luck!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ThrustMyStoma:
mask. i have a first year release one. literally everything else except suppressd 22 is basic bitch feeling to shoot. if i added up my 2023 round counts from my shooting pleasure journal i will probably have 6k or less centerfire rifle and pistol and around 30k rimfire pistol and rifle.

do it.  be forewarned everything else will become boring

eta:  i also have a first year sparrow. skip that one unless rifle use only.
View Quote

just ordered a mask, so we can be twinzies soon!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#36]
ATM torn between the Mask or a switchback.
Mostly going to live on a tx22 or my 10/22 for furry intruder dispatching.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By DocBull:
ATM torn between the Mask or a switchback.
Mostly going to live on a tx22 or my 10/22 for furry intruder dispatching.
View Quote

Flip a coin, I own both and they are both amazing.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#38]
I currently use a serviceable 9/45 can on my .22s which is very quiet.  Been considering a dedicated but just not sure if it is worth it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a 12 year old YHM.. Does the job. But hell.. as cheap as they are and as quick as they are coming back... I might get another one
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:51:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bikedamon] [#40]
Originally Posted By speedball:
The cheapest factory or even Form 1 suppressor is going to make .22 sub (which is all I shoot and what most of the good stuff is) hearing safe.  Spend your money on centerfire cans.
View Quote

How are the terminal ballistics of .22 subs?  While I adore my .300blk subs, they can lack punch and that has me hesitating on getting into suppressed subsonic .22.  Which size critter can I kill with .22 subs?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#41]
at current wait times and relatively low prices, yes. lighter, easier to clean, sound better.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:

How are the terminal ballistics of .22 subs?  While I adore my .300blk subs, they can lack punch and that has me hesitating on getting into suppressed subsonic .22.  Which size critter can I kill with .22 subs?
View All Quotes

Up to an elephant if you shoot it 87,000 times from a helicopter. Not terribly sporting.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:00:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: walldj45] [#43]
22 cans are the best.  

Can't go wrong with a Mustang (light but aluminum and 22lr only)

Oculus is great.

My OCL titanium is still on order but appears to sound even better than an oculus and much lighter.  

CAT SR has no backpressure but is a sealed unit and hard to find.  Best sounding can tested by pew science.  

If I were you and only getting one I would get the OCL titanium, if not that then the mustang.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:01:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HKPDW] [#44]

View Quote

@macman37

I believe I had Tornado Technologies thread the existing barrel.

It’s been about 20 years so, I really don’t remember now

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:05:56 AM EDT
[#45]
I was looking for either a DA Mask or TBAC 22 can and saw the TBAC in-stock and ordered it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

I use my suppressed Buckmark with subs for gopher kills to 50 yards and skunk, coon, and beaver to 25 yards. One shot to the noggin is plenty for the furbearers.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Maybe I need to add this to the OP??

Since the technology has changed I would like to get one that is optimal for me....

1.  Quietest
2.  Can be dropped into an Ultra Sonic cleaner (assembled or disassembled)
3.  Modular
4.  Lightweight

None of them are ridiculously expensive that I've seen so cost isn't an issue.  But they all seem to have small differences that set them apart.  I WAS heading toward a Mustang but I genuinely HATE cleaning guns and even more so suppressors.  So being able to grab an ultra sonic cleaner (HF has them cheap)....and just dropping it in there after blowing 500rds (or now the 325) bulk ammo through it would be amazing!!!  I typically run Remington subs in my can but bolt-clacking quiet with bulk ammo would be mind-blowing.  Not sure if the technology has come quite that far though.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Maybe I need to add this to the OP??

Since the technology has changed I would like to get one that is optimal for me....

1.  Quietest
2.  Can be dropped into an Ultra Sonic cleaner (assembled or disassembled)
3.  Modular
4.  Lightweight

None of them are ridiculously expensive that I've seen so cost isn't an issue.  But they all seem to have small differences that set them apart.  I WAS heading toward a Mustang but I genuinely HATE cleaning guns and even more so suppressors.  So being able to grab an ultra sonic cleaner (HF has them cheap)....and just dropping it in there after blowing 500rds (or now the 325) bulk ammo through it would be amazing!!!  I typically run Remington subs in my can but bolt-clacking quiet with bulk ammo would be mind-blowing.  Not sure if the technology has come quite that far though.

Thanks!!
View Quote
So my post above about Breakthrough Cleaner. You dont need an ultrasonic anymore, the shit is that good. That link is to the post in the silencer forum reviewing the cleaner. The shit works.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:

They are That Good.

Go to about 3:00
THAT'S how quiet they are

Freedom Armory Machine Works Suppressors

Page / 3
Top Top