BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 444
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:44:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: theskuh] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By macpherson:
I get that it's a prototype, but that thing looks really really rough.  Buckled sheet metal, rust, the whole thing looks slapped together, and they just "decide" not to use the nose cone after it gets damaged? That sounds more to me like Musk saying "build it anyway" and not a decision they arrived at by thoughtful analysis.  There's doing it better faster smarter, and there's being needlessly reckless.  SpaceX is not out of the woods by any stretch; I bet the SJW's at NASA would love to see SpaceX sidelined.
View Quote
Its just the hopper. It is a test vehicle for throttling and hovering the raptors. Could be a school bus with legs. They will get the data that they need and be able to calculate the rest from the tests.

now it will be interesting how the orbital test vehicle looks.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I strongly suspect that during the design of Falcon Heavy, it became obvious that a unitized booster/spaceship was really the way to go.

Elon musk repeatedly said that getting 3 boosters to play nice together was "crazy hard".
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#3]
SpaceX is not out of the woods by any stretch; I bet the SJW's at NASA would love to see SpaceX sidelined.
View Quote
SpaceX is steamrolling the rest of the world when it comes to launches, not just NASA. That's already a ridiculous accomplishment.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I've yet to be disappointed with the Space X Program.
Reminds me of growing up in the 1960's and closely following the 'Space Race' with my Father.
Really inspired me, led to a great career in electronics technology.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:10:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I understand that using some flavor of Inconel makes sense for Starship due to the need to survive orbital reentry, but why not make the Super Heavy booster out of composite? Is Super Heavy going to be hitting higher reentry speeds than the Falcon 9 booster?  Maybe they are planning a future Super Heavy Heavy?
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:

I understand that using some flavor of Inconel makes sense for Starship due to the need to survive orbital reentry, but why not make the Super Heavy booster out of composite? Is Super Heavy going to be hitting higher reentry speeds than the Falcon 9 booster?  Maybe they are planning a future Super Heavy Heavy?
View Quote
I would say commonality for manufacturing.  Only one material to develop production processes for vs two.  Economies of scale are better using a common material on both Super Heavy and Starship.  Development times should be shorter as well.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:
I would say commonality for manufacturing.  Only one material to develop production processes for vs two.  Economies of scale are better using a common material on both Super Heavy and Starship.  Development times should be shorter as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I think another item would be that the whole ship (booster and orbiter) are designed for reuse at a high tempo.

Repair on stainless will be much easier than repair of composites.

I imagine a properly designed stainless booster (with the new alloys that they hinted at) will wear better, be more easily repairable, more easily upgradeable and easier to build right.

Composites are not as rare or unknown as they once were, or as expensive, but stainless is simpler.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Atmospheric Reentry temp. is what, thinking on the Shuttle was around 3000* F?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Starhopper may go for a hop today...
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote
Composites aren't often as great as they're made out to be.

A Stainless booster would also gain performance because it wouldn't even need to perform an entry burn like the current SX boosters do.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I get that it's a prototype, but that thing looks really really rough.  Buckled sheet metal, rust, the whole thing looks slapped together, and they just "decide" not to use the nose cone after it gets damaged? That sounds more to me like Musk saying "build it anyway" and not a decision they arrived at by thoughtful analysis.  There's doing it better faster smarter, and there's being needlessly reckless.  SpaceX is not out of the woods by any stretch; I bet the SJW's at NASA would love to see SpaceX sidelined.
View Quote
It looks a little silly, but bolted on the bottom of it is the most advanced rocket engine ever made.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Neotopiaman:

It looks a little silly, but bolted on the bottom of it is the most advanced rocket engine ever made.
View Quote
If it leaves the ground today it will be the first "flight" of a full flow staged combustion rocket engine.  Hell even if they fire it up it'll be the first times one has ever fired that wasn't on a test stand.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:03:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Super fast travel using outer space could be $20 billion market, disrupting airlines, UBS predicts

UBS believes there will be very lucrative ramifications from the space flight efforts currently led by Virgin Galactic, SpaceX and Blue Origin.

A lengthy UBS report published on Sunday found that, in a decade, high speed travel via outer space will represent an annual market of at least $20 billion and compete with long-distance airline flights. Space tourism will be a $3 billion market by 2030, UBS estimates.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:23:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rebelcovehunter] [#17]
There is a live video camera watching the Starship Hopper

STARSHIP CAM - SpaceX Boca Chica Texas Live View of Starship Hopper Launches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7zia2HqOOc
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:
SpaceX is steamrolling the rest of the world when it comes to launches, not just NASA. That's already a ridiculous accomplishment.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MadMonkey:
SpaceX is not out of the woods by any stretch; I bet the SJW's at NASA would love to see SpaceX sidelined.
It is and I hope they continue, but they are also making government agencies like NASA and the ULA look like the inefficient and bloated and ineffective programs that they are (first astronaut on Mars WILL be a woman? ).  Government agencies, especially leftist ones, HATE to look bad; they would jump at a chance to drag down a successful capitalist venture for the slightest misstep.

So far SpaceX has been nailing it, but the stakes are getting higher and higher; they can't afford to get sloppy at this point.  Also, I'm more concerned about anything Elon Musk is involved with, he's become a loose cannon and a potential liability for anything he's associated with and I don't have confidence in his decision making anymore.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Rumored to be TUFROC

NASA has a new innovation that represents an exciting leap forward in reusable thermal protection systems (TPS) technology. The Toughened Uni-Piece Fibrous Reinforced Oxidation-Resistant Composite (TUFROC) allows for much more affordable and sustainable operations involving Space Launch Services and other systems that utilize Earth re-entry vehicles. TUFROC has an exposed surface design and appropriate materials combination that will allow a space vehicle to survive both the mechanical stresses of the initial ascent and the extreme heating and stress of re-entry. It provides a thermal protection tile attachment system that is suitable for application to a space vehicle leading edge and for other uses in extreme heating environments (up to 3600 degree F., and possibly higher, for short time intervals)

Benefits

Flight tested
Survives high heat fluxes 3600 degree F. and above
Light weight
Modular, therefore easily replaceable
Low cost to fabricate and maintain
Easier to design - can be fabricated and tested in various configurations
Reusable thermal protection system
Provides a composite insulating structure
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Rumored to be TUFROC
View Quote
It doesn't look like TUFROC. It looks metallic, you can see the reflections of the torches because of how shiny it is.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Roads will be closing at 10am CST, for a possible test.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:34:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#23]
something happened around 10:17am

venting LOX?

STARSHIP CAM - SpaceX Boca Chica Texas Live View of Starship Hopper Launches
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
explain, in detail, why any of the things you point out matter in the context of the test to be done. It isn't going into space, it isn't going to fly very high. All it is going to do is lift off and land.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#26]
another live feed with sound

Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#27]
It kinda looks like a giant R2D2

Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Neotopiaman:
It kinda looks like a giant R2D2

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c1/99/9f/c1999fedf88288fb6ac2fd87e342d575.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:29:23 PM EDT
[#29]

It is and I hope they continue, but they are also making government agencies like NASA and the ULA look like the inefficient and bloated and ineffective programs that they are (first astronaut on Mars WILL be a woman? ).  Government agencies, especially leftist ones, HATE to look bad; they would jump at a chance to drag down a successful capitalist venture for the slightest misstep.

So far SpaceX has been nailing it, but the stakes are getting higher and higher; they can't afford to get sloppy at this point.  Also, I'm more concerned about anything Elon Musk is involved with, he's become a loose cannon and a potential liability for anything he's associated with and I don't have confidence in his decision making anymore.
View Quote
Elon Musk is the dreamer for SpaceX. He and the engineers come up with innovative things to try that are so far outside of the box that NASA bean counters are to afraid to even look at. Gwynne Shotwell is the "saner" head that translates the dreams to reality.
The speed with which SpaceX can pivot from what seems like a good design at first but isn't, to a better design makes goverment bureaucrats run for their safe space.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:44:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Element94] [#30]
Wait, so they are actually going to fly that thing? In the air?

I guess I thought it was just going to be pad tests?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Whippet06:
Elon Musk is the dreamer for SpaceX. He and the engineers come up with innovative things to try that are so far outside of the box that NASA bean counters are to afraid to even look at. Gwynne Shotwell is the "saner" head that translates the dreams to reality.
The speed with which SpaceX can pivot from what seems like a good design at first but isn't, to a better design makes goverment bureaucrats run for their safe space.
View Quote
Seriously, imagine how many years it would have taken NASA to decide to move from composites to a type of stainless steel.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Element94:
Wait, so they are actually going to fly that thing? In the air?
View Quote
This one is supposed to go up to 5 km in altitude, eventually.  The next one is being built at the site and will be orbital.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#33]

This one is supposed to go up to 5 km in altitude, eventually.  The next one is being built at the site and will be orbital.
View Quote
Just straight up and back down, or all over?
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By rebelcovehunter:

Seriously, imagine how many years it would have taken NASA to decide to move from composites to a type of stainless steel.
View Quote
SpaceX doesn't have any issues with the sunk cost fallacy
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote
No idea
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#36]

No idea
View Quote
If SpaceX says that during the flight there is a problem.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 2:59:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j_hooker] [#37]
1) is there only 1 raptor engine on the hopper?
2) Do they plan to land it like the boosters?
4) if so that would imply guidance systems right?
3) any side thrusters to control pitch and yaw stabilization? ( I think I’m using the terms correctly)
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 3:00:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pavelow16478] [#38]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
If SpaceX says that during the flight there is a problem.
View Quote
Ariane 5 had that happen last year.  Was only 20 degrees off course

Its called the Pelosi Maneuver.  You have to launch it to find out where it's going.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Ariane 5 had that happen last year.  Was only 20 degrees off course

Its called the Pelosi Maneuver.  You have to launch it to find out where it's going.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#40]
I am VERY PROUD that the heavy open die forging, heat treating, machining plant where I retired from, young, Master E-Tech, EE, hosted a 'tour' of Elon's engineers, came through and we are producing 'parts' for them.
EGI has many specialty divisions, one of which is EQS, make specialty super high grade steel and alloys.

Also sole producer producer of every penetrater bomb made, the 30,000 # was being made when I retired, sister companies do all the machining, ready to go minus the 'charge'.
Loved working with the .mil-.gov folks.
Know this as Wife is still there, in charge of ISO 9001 compliance, sure miss work, paid to have fun.
Don't miss all of the check-the check of the check paper work.
Awaiting 'lift off'.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:21:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3Trip] [#41]

View Quote
One major Reason for using stainless steel for the booster not mentioned yet, is it’s stronger under cryogenic tempatures, so a fully fueled rocket is stronger when it’s needed, that means they can use less material & save weight.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes

It depends if they have a RUD or not.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 5:31:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RhinelandArms] [#45]
Originally Posted By 3Trip:

One major Reason for using stainless steel for the booster not mentioned yet, is it’s stronger under cryogenic tempatures, so a fully fueled rocket is stronger when it’s needed, that means they can use less material & save weight.
View Quote
Another reason is that Graphite fibers, boron fibers and epoxy resins are really nasty stuff. Long term exposure to those as well as what to do with the waste or end of life product is a nightmare.   There are a lot of lawsuites about DOD contractors being exposed to that stuff.

A metal one just goes to the scrap heap to be recycled.
Link Posted: 3/21/2019 5:41:09 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
Looks like there was some venting today though, They probably had a wet dress rehearsal.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By RhinelandArms:

Another reason is that Graphite fibers, boron fibers and epoxy resins are really nasty stuff. Long term exposure to those as well as what to do with the waste or end of life product is a nightmare.   There are a lot of lawsuites about DOD contractors being exposed to that stuff.

A metal one just goes to the scrap heap to be recycled.
View Quote
Its also much easier to repair if you're stuck somewhere with limited tools (like Mars).
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 5:17:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Neotopiaman] [#49]
More venting spotted again today...

Link Posted: 3/22/2019 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Tim Dodd is livestreaming like a mile away, he can hear it fueling up, hopefully they go for a hop today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd1mXhWicjk
Page / 444
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top