BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 441
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Variable556:
I keep trying to see stuff on Starship Cam, but that place seems to get a lot of fog.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53338/6C14E146-DBF3-47CD-AF97-E5630491946D_png-874254.JPG

I keep expecting King Kong or a T Rex to pop out.
View Quote
It’s south Texas. It’s foggy like half the time.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Raptor has arrived to the launch pad

Link Posted: 3/15/2019 3:19:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1tP2XAXcAAKAJ8.jpg
View Quote
They should launch the SpaceX Winnebago on the first orbital launch of Starship
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

They should launch the SpaceX Winnebago on the first orbital launch of Starship
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 6:14:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Variable556] [#5]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1tP2XAXcAAKAJ8.jpg
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Starship Cam live view

The fog is gone.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#6]
IT’S ALIVE!!!! Hopper’s first breath!
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#7]
While SpaceX is doing this. NASA is full speed ahead with this....

WASHINGTON DC: The first person on Mars is 'likely to be a woman', NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine has said.

"It's likely to be a woman, the first next person on the Moon. It's also true that the first person on Mars is likely to be a woman," CNN cited Bridenstine as saying on a science and technology radio talk show "Science Friday".

The NASA administrator did not identify a specific person but said women are at the forefront of the agency's upcoming plans.

I could care less who the first person on Mars or back on the moon, as long as they are American. But Nasa just can't help themselves. How about worry about building something capable of getting there, not the gender of the crew.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

Unlikel SLS, I believe STARSHIP/BFR will actually fly ... and I cannot wait to see it!  
View Quote
Oh it is going to fly. And probably be what gets us back to the moon Suck it Elon haters!
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By bullet3:

WASHINGTON DC: The first person on Mars is 'likely to be a woman', NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine has said.

"It's likely to be a woman, the first next person on the Moon. It's also true that the first person on Mars is likely to be a woman," CNN cited Bridenstine as saying on a science and technology radio talk show "Science Friday".

The NASA administrator did not identify a specific person but said women are at the forefront of the agency's upcoming plans.

I could care less who the first person on Mars or back on the moon, as long as they are American. But Nasa just can't help themselves. How about worry about building something capable of getting there, not the gender of the crew.
View Quote
At the pace they're going NASA may not put the first person on Mars...
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
I actually have no doubt about this. Well it most likely will be NASA Astronauts, but literally everything to get them there could be Space X.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 1:32:26 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

WASHINGTON DC: The first person on Mars is 'likely to be a woman', NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine has said.

"It's likely to be a woman, the first next person on the Moon. It's also true that the first person on Mars is likely to be a woman," CNN cited Bridenstine as saying on a science and technology radio talk show "Science Friday".

The NASA administrator did not identify a specific person but said women are at the forefront of the agency's upcoming plans.

If they fuck around completely enough, the first words could be “One small step for me, one giant leap for Spacex!”

Attachment Attached File

(Parody- I know Elon doesn’t expect to be the first person setting foot on mars)
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 1:34:49 AM EDT
[#12]

WASHINGTON DC: The first person on Mars is 'likely to be a woman', NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine has said.

"It's likely to be a woman, the first next person on the Moon. It's also true that the first person on Mars is likely to be a woman," CNN cited Bridenstine as saying on a science and technology radio talk show "Science Friday".

The NASA administrator did not identify a specific person but said women are at the forefront of the agency's upcoming plans.

View Quote
not unless either Elon or the Chinese get there first.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 1:50:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Walkure:
Pretty sure you mean inconel - they had announced development of a new superalloy in the inconel family earlier this year, IIRC. (Inconel alloys aren't anything like stainless steel, BTW. They aren't even steel - they are Ni-Cr based.)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Walkure:
Originally Posted By Neotopiaman:
Apparently during development of the Raptor rocket engine SpaceX discovered a new super-strong cryoformed Stainless steel type alloy that allowed them to skip building it out of composites and accelerate development.
Pretty sure you mean inconel - they had announced development of a new superalloy in the inconel family earlier this year, IIRC. (Inconel alloys aren't anything like stainless steel, BTW. They aren't even steel - they are Ni-Cr based.)
SpaceX will be using a lot of good-old stainless in the BFR body.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:39:05 AM EDT
[#14]
If they fuck around completely enough, the first words could be “One small step for me, one giant leap for Spacex!”

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53338/02A7BE36-9599-4DE7-8733-0534C5A60F69_jpeg-879182.JPG

(Parody- I know Elon doesn’t expect to be the first person setting foot on mars)
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/53338/02A7BE36-9599-4DE7-8733-0534C5A60F69_jpeg-879182.JPG

Or to really fuck with the haters, "Dude, where's my car?"

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

Then again it is his vision and the SEC couldn’t do much to him there...
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 1:58:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#16]
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, I hadn't thought out those numbers.  That equals about $45 per pound, into orbit...  Holy shit.

If accurate and successful, that'd enable a whole lotta shit to start happening.  A pretty staggering concept to envision where that could lead.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ludder093:

Sea Dragon is cool, but BFR/Starship will easily beat it on economics because it is fully re-usable. Fuel is cheap, aerospace equipment is expensive (EDIT: fucking ARFcom keeps auto deleting what I try to write here)

With BFR/Starship you should be capable of >100 tonnes to orbit for <$10 million.
That would enable us to build things in space that we wouldn't be able to launch.  Like a space station capable of supporting missions to Mars and maybe even a moon base.
Yeah, I hadn't thought out those numbers.  That equals about $45 per pound, into orbit...  Holy shit.

If accurate and successful, that'd enable a whole lotta shit to start happening.  A pretty staggering concept to envision where that could lead.
God willing, I will see this in my lifetime.

$9,000 for a 200lb man.  At $45/lb, some seriously cool stuff will happen.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Tolip:
It seems so bulky
View Quote
It's an engineering prototype, not a spaceship.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Unlikel SLS, I believe STARSHIP/BFR will actually fly ... and I cannot wait to see it!  
View All Quotes
Starship/BFR will be the largest, most powerful rocket ever built
No bureaucracy, no added costs due to senators and reps turning the contract into a pork and jobs program for their states/districts. It’s an R&D dream program with a “get it done better, faster” attitude.

World changing. Can’t wait for the materials and process technology spinoffs start filtering down.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 3/16/2019 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#22]
It's amazing how much new tech is going into the starship. I wish they'd eventually look at ion or VASMIR engines.... That stuff would be game changing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#23]
In response to being asked about the new nosecone being built.

Link Posted: 3/17/2019 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
... being built using equipment from JoeBob's Crane Rental, an old Winnebago, and nailed-together 2x4s. Love it
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#25]
That would enable us to build things in space that we wouldn't be able to launch.  Like a space station capable of supporting missions to Mars and maybe even a moon base.
View All Quotes

Sea Dragon is cool, but BFR/Starship will easily beat it on economics because it is fully re-usable. Fuel is cheap, aerospace equipment is expensive (EDIT: fucking ARFcom keeps auto deleting what I try to write here)

With BFR/Starship you should be capable of >100 tonnes to orbit for <$10 million.
Or that 72-foot particle beam weapon that someone mentioned in another thread...

Link Posted: 3/17/2019 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
Fucking A just go for it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 4:56:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: theskuh] [#27]
Originally Posted By EastcARstle:

... being built using equipment from JoeBob's Crane Rental, an old Winnebago, and nailed-together 2x4s. Love it
View Quote
Dont forget trailer jacks.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 5:01:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: somaliskinnypirate] [#28]

View Quote
NASA and their shell org (ULA) are retarded. I watched the Delta launch the other day.... amazing how much bullshit and delays they still have. Love em or hate em, but Musk just shrugs his shoulders and says 'fuck it..sounds cool let's do it'.

Not A Space Agency....Then they so the whole SJW thing...  wonder if they've picked the crew for the first warp 1 event?
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By theskuh:

View Quote
Again, fitting:

Link Posted: 3/17/2019 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Video at link in tweet.

Reddit discussion on it

Link Posted: 3/17/2019 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote
A response to this

Link Posted: 3/17/2019 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#33]
SpaceX is doing great with Falcon 9 but this venture seems ill-advised to me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
View Quote
Why?  Very similar to the approach they took to developing reusability on F9 with the Grasshopper.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Again, fitting:

http://i.imgur.com/wprdbnp.jpg
View All Quotes

Again, fitting:

http://i.imgur.com/wprdbnp.jpg
That’s Starship Block 87

Re heat tiles:  That’s a new one on me.  I guess a recent change?  I thought it was heat shield, then stainless with transpirational, and now it’s stainless w/tiles and partial transpirational?
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 1:04:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Why?  Very similar to the approach they took to developing reusability on F9 with the Grasshopper.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86377/75AFD646-598E-46A5-900A-E7257FA159A6_jpeg-881510.JPG
View Quote
I still can't get over how much this looks like the Three Stooges ship in "Have Rocket, Will Travel", which I laughed at for lack of realism when I was a kid (it landed vertically).
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I hope they have a better way to deal with the wind for the new orbital test vehicle.

Also does it flood at the boca chica site? Seems awful close to a lot of water.
Link Posted: 3/18/2019 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#38]

Also does it flood at the boca chica site? Seems awful close to a lot of water.
View Quote
You ever been to Kennedy Space Center? Or Wallops?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 6:48:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Plumber576:

You ever been to Kennedy Space Center? Or Wallops?
View Quote
Yes I have been to Kennedy. I get it that they are close to water. I guess they are a vunerable as anywhere else. I just got surprised by this pic and realized how really exposed the Boca Chica site is.

Attachment Attached File

Totally without buildings to protect from wind and really close to the ocean. Obviously way smarter people have thought about this but how much are they risking building rockets on a launch site than somewhere even slightly more inland.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:35:01 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
Why?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:37:00 AM EDT
[#41]
That’s Starship Block 87

Re heat tiles:  That’s a new one on me.  I guess a recent change?  I thought it was heat shield, then stainless with transpirational, and now it’s stainless w/tiles and partial transpirational?
View Quote
They do a LOT of very high-accuracy simulations. It lets them test engineering alternatives much faster. This is what smart, agile companies do.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 8:40:06 AM EDT
[#42]

That's Starship Block 87

Re heat tiles:  That's a new one on me.  I guess a recent change?  I thought it was heat shield, then stainless with transpirational, and now it's stainless w/tiles and partial transpirational?
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By webtaz99:
They do a LOT of very high-accuracy simulations. It lets them test engineering alternatives much faster. This is what smart, agile companies do.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By webtaz99:
That’s Starship Block 87

Yeah, I hope so.  I just get nervous because I realllllllly want them to knock it out of the park.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Any idea when the first hop will be?
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By DCV_117:
View Quote
Supposed to be this week
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Supposed to be this week
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DCV_117:
Supposed to be this week
My body is ready.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote
and SLS, is likely dead... as they couldn't figure out how to re purpose and update the rocket system from the shuttle program without waisting billions of dollars.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

and SLS, is likely dead... as they couldn't figure out how to re purpose and update the rocket system from the shuttle program without waisting billions of dollars.
View Quote
This is where you are wrong, the entire purpose of SLS was to waste billions of dollars... As long as those billions of dollars went to the right companies (mostly Boeing) and congressional districts (mostly Alabama) that's all Senator Shelby needed to keep funneling money to it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote
This venture is the reason SpaceX was created.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#50]
I get that it's a prototype, but that thing looks really really rough.  Buckled sheet metal, rust, the whole thing looks slapped together, and they just "decide" not to use the nose cone after it gets damaged? That sounds more to me like Musk saying "build it anyway" and not a decision they arrived at by thoughtful analysis.  There's doing it better faster smarter, and there's being needlessly reckless.  SpaceX is not out of the woods by any stretch; I bet the SJW's at NASA would love to see SpaceX sidelined.
Page / 441
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top