Suggest double muffs if unsuppressed.

18Z50

View Quote

WHAT!!??
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think with a 16" upper it needs a stock spacer to hit the legal Title 1 length?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What’s the OAL with a 16” upper? This could be pretty fun with my .22.

I think with a 16" upper it needs a stock spacer to hit the legal Title 1 length?

That was my thought
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That was my thought
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  What’s the OAL with a 16” upper? This could be pretty fun with my .22.

That was my thought

Go 18"?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:58:19 PM EDT
[#5]
How are mag changes?

I think that's the biggest thing keeping me from doing a bullpup, but I've wanted a brn180 and I've also wanted a bullpup. Best of both worlds? Compromises? How's the trigger?

It's cool af. Didn't know that lower existed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Will work fine w/ a regular AR upper.

Remove upper, load the chamber, cock hammer,  put safety on, install upper.

Safety off.

Fire.

Remove upper, eject the round, load next round, cock hammer, put safety on, install upper.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  So this wouldn't fit together with regular AR upper?

Would be cool for AR22

Safety off.

Fire.

Remove upper, eject the round, load next round, cock hammer, put safety on, install upper.  

Huh?

22LR dude
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:09:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Hmmmm. That's hawt
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Huh?

22LR dude
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would be cool for AR22

Safety off.

Fire.

Huh?

22LR dude

Be a LOT easier w/ a .22 LR upper.  But it will work with a normal AR upper.  Only a little faster than a cap & Minié ball muzzle loader w/ Pyrodex pellets, but it'll work.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:16:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How are mag changes?

I think that's the biggest thing keeping me from doing a bullpup, but I've wanted a brn180 and I've also wanted a bullpup. Best of both worlds? Compromises? How's the trigger?

View Quote

There's a utube video of a guy shooting one, he makes mag changes look easy but I could see it being pretty awkward.

What I did notice is that you're pretty much huffing exhaust gasses with your face right there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:20:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Be a LOT easier w/ a .22 LR upper.  But it will work with a normal AR upper.  Only a little faster than a cap & Minié ball muzzle loader w/ Pyrodex pellets, but it'll work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would be cool for AR22

Safety off.

Fire.

Huh?

22LR dude

AR22 is normal AR upper. IDK WTF you're talking about
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:22:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would be cool for AR22

Safety off.

Fire.

Huh?

22LR dude

You asked if this would work with a normal AR upper.  Yes.  It won't work well, or very easily, but it will work.

An AR 22 isn't a normal AR upper, but yes, it will work quite well with this bullpup system.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#12]
OST.. got to build me one.. bet it would be a hoot with a FRT in it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No way would I have my hand that close to the muzzle of a short barrel rifle round.  Especially when you have no way to properly hold the gun when firing (unless you only have one hand).  Wear a glove and send pictures of your future ER visit.

View Quote

Are you unaware of the ove glove?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Huh?

22LR dude
View Quote

Can't have a conventional buffer/tube.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:59:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Can't have a conventional buffer/tube.

View Quote

Or rear charging handle
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No way would I have my hand that close to the muzzle of a short barrel rifle round.  Especially when you have no way to properly hold the gun when firing (unless you only have one hand).  Wear a glove and send pictures of your future ER visit.

That, and this is little different than thr P90, which doesn't seem to cause a lot of problems.  That, and OP apparently intends to run it supressed, which pretty much takes care of that.

That said, I don't think I would have gone any shorter than 10.5" personally.  Once you go as short as he did, the difference between 5.56 and just way milder 5.7 or .22 magnum, start getting closer.  

To me, ideal SBR bullpup is a 12" 6.5 Grendel.  That is a combination of the most optimized small Frame round, with the most optimized small barrel length for it (12" Grendel ballistics are tidy), in the most size optimized gun configuration of a bullpup.  That's a package you deliver 1000 ft-lb at 100 yards, accurately shoot out to 600+ yards, in a tiny small frame package.  That's what I want.

But this particular model approach apparently requires an exotic non-standard gas system that you have to cobble together,  as a conventional DI won't make any sense in it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Anybody tried the Reap Scy system?

Can use a standard upper, or a bufferless upper, but requires and MLOK or KEYMOD rail handguard.

Looks interesting, but two things, the LOP looks crazy long and can't tell if the FCG is fully enclosed within the clamshell, or open to the slots in the rail, where heat from the barrel and contaminants could get in.

Reap Weaponries Scy Install

REAP Weaponry SCY - General Overview

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:33:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Dammit OP, you're going to cost me money.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:59:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Dude, that's cool. You always have fun things to share.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:10:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Anybody tried the Reap Scy system?

Can use a standard upper, or a bufferless upper, but requires and MLOK or KEYMOD rail handguard.

Looks interesting, but two things, the LOP looks crazy long and can't tell if the FCG is fully enclosed within the clamshell, or open to the slots in the rail, where heat from the barrel and contaminants could get in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2Zv3X4g3nU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92IVCZlLHD4

View Quote

The problem with these AR-Conversion based systems, is they don't actually achieve the goal if it's a conventional AR with a buffer tube.  They get goofy and stupid.  So you have to have some kind of exotic system with a completely different operating system that has very little length extending back.  Which can be done, but often expensive, goofy, and not all work right.  

In the end, these tend not to be the way to go, vs just buying a purpose built bullpup.  It would be better if they sold a complete conversion package, but that site's website is very difficult to navigate, and there's no "Click Here For Complete Conversaion Package" option, that includes whatever gas, bolt, and recoil system forced onto the AR platform they need, to make it work.   But OP's is interesting because he was willing to cobble all of that together himself along with some customization, to make it all become that package - which is pretty neat.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How are mag changes?

View Quote
If memory serves, that converts a standard lower.

This thing  is a standalone lower that would give your BRN-180 upper the benefit of looking like an L85.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Next to a 5” AR pistol and an 11.25” SBR.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#23]
An intact FM-15 11.25” 5.56 with stock folded is only 21.25” long with flash hider. I would expect the bull pup version balances better (especially suppressed) but adds weight overall. I think with an 11 oz folding stock, 4 oz red dot, and empty 20 round mag I weighed the conventional configuration at 6.25 lbs. What do these two bull pups weigh without ammo weight?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The problem with these AR-Conversion based systems, is they don't actually achieve the goal if it's a conventional AR with a buffer tube.  They get goofy and stupid.  So you have to have some kind of exotic system with a completely different operating system that has very little length extending back.  Which can be done, but often expensive, goofy, and not all work right.  

In the end, these tend not to be the way to go, vs just buying a purpose built bullpup.  It would be better if they sold a complete conversion package, but that site's website is very difficult to navigate, and there's no "Click Here For Complete Conversaion Package" option, that includes whatever gas, bolt, and recoil system forced onto the AR platform they need, to make it work.   But OP's is interesting because he was willing to cobble all of that together himself along with some customization, to make it all become that package - which is pretty neat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Anybody tried the Reap Scy system?

I mean, the Iranians got an AR based bullpup to work, can't be that hard, man.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don’t think the Foxtrot Mike buffer less operating arrangement is that exotic. The Stoner style bolt keeps carrier tilt forces minimal and the upper receiver as guide coupled with the nested recoil springs & guide rod telescope into both the gas key and cocking tube make the off axis recoil spring seem positive in function.

Where I would have a concern is suppressed ejection port gas and port pop over something like a Keltec RDB, as well as safety in the event of a kaboom.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don’t think the Foxtrot Mike buffer less operating arrangement is that exotic. The Stoner style bolt keeps carrier tilt forces minimal and the upper receiver as guide coupled with the nested recoil springs & guide rod telescope into both the gas key and cocking tube make the off axis recoil spring seem positive in function.

Where I would have a concern is suppressed ejection port gas and port pop over something like a Keltec RDB, as well as safety in the event of a kaboom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feed it .300 Blackout, the side of the receiver gonna bop you in the nose.  AR failure mechanism is well known - and relatively safe.  We've not seen a lot of overpressure events in bullpup platforms.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top