Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/17/2024 6:44:25 PM EDT
I bought a new truck yesterday.  When I got home I noticed that dealer logo was stuck on the tailgate.  It was also crooked.  I wish I would have noticed it before I drove off because I would have had some fun telling them that I wanted my money back and they could keep their vandalized car.

Today I got a phone call asking me if I was satisfied with my car buying experience.  I told the woman that I wasn't happy that they stuck a metal logo on the tailgate.  She then told that in her 9 years of working there, she has never had anyone complain about the logo.  

There are billions of things that annoy me, but I find it hard to believe that I'm the first person that has complained about having something stuck to the paint on their new vehicle.

Pulling with my fingernails and some dental floss got it off without too much trouble, it would have been easier with two people.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#1]
it's just stuck on with some 3M tape.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Had a bitch of a time removing that crap. I used plastic pry tools from an old laptop kit I had to get the stickers off carefully. Apply heat first.

Hot water, dish soap, and one of those blue no scratch sponges worked pretty well. YMMV since all paint/clear coat is different. Be gentle with it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chokey:
it's just stuck on with some 3M tape.
View Quote

This it's not like they used J B WELD  OP

You can remove it
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Heat gun and fishing string, pretty simple to remove.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Dental Floss works easily.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd have asked her what she did at the dealership for 9 years, because it could not possibly have been surveying customers.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ranging-by-zipcode:

You can remove it
View Quote

I did remove it.  My problem is that it was there in the first place.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:54:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GRIFFIN2:
I bought a new truck yesterday.  When I got home I noticed that dealer logo was stuck on the tailgate.  It was also crooked.  I wish I would have noticed it before I drove off because I would have had some fun telling them that I wanted my money back and they could keep their vandalized car.

Today I got a phone call asking me if I was satisfied with my car buying experience.  I told the woman that I wasn't happy that they stuck a metal logo on the tailgate.  She then told that in her 9 years of working there, she has never had anyone complain about the logo.  

There are billions of things that annoy me, but I find it hard to believe that I'm the first person that has complained about having something stuck to the paint on their new vehicle.

Pulling with my fingernails and some dental floss got it off without too much trouble, it would have been easier with two people.
View Quote

As said, it's 3M tape usually. Dental floss and heat are your friend.

The front plate brackets that require drilling the bumper are the spawn of Satan.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#11]
My auto mechanics teacher said “it’s not your car anymore” and made the dealer take the sticker off. (That’s what he told us)
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Dealer applied badges and license plate sorrounds/brackets are disgusting and are to be removed before I take delivery.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:56:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#13]
Dental floss and goo gone, warming it up helps too.

I’m old enough to remember dealerships riveting those on.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Wow...either you're 3, or you've never purchased a car before? Seriously, that's pretty normal and has been since like the start of the automotive sales experience in the world. How are you only now finding out that dealerships do this?

Have you never driven on a public road behind a car before? If you have, you'd have seen this before.

Did you not notice the other cars that were sold from this dealer with a similar placard placed on the rear of their vehicles? Including the shit on their lot?

Of all the shit to get twisted over...
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Braided fishing line
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#17]
A hair dryer and its off in a couple of minutes.

Of all the stuff to get your panties in a twist over.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#18]
All dealer stuff comes off my new vehicles. This most recent one I just went grey and took off everything, Ford stickers included.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Most of my vehicles over the years have come with a dealer badge of some sort.  Never considered it anything to complain about.  Never had an issue pulling them off.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Always make the dealer take that shit off before you buy. I have done so with every vehicle I’ve ever purchased

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:05:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BikerNut] [#21]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This stuff works great.

First thing I do with any new or used car purchase is remove the dealer shit from the back of the car.

I remember back in the 1950s/1960s, dealer logos were cast in metal and riveted to the car's trunk lid.

ETA: Beat by another member who's also ancient.

Originally Posted By Pallas:

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Here’s a fun exercise for everyone.
Next time you’re driving, take notice of how many people leave dealership stickers, badges and license plate frames on their car. It’s damn close to 99%
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

maybe if you weren't such an uptight asshole, you'd have a friend, and he could have helped?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I know they put crap on cars, but I just didn't notice it when looking at the car.  I was looking for dents or scratches.  I was probably more pissed at myself for not noticing before I drove it off the lot than I was for them putting it on there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:10:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I ordered a truck from ford. When it came in, I went to pick it up and refused to take “delivery” of it because they put their license plate brackets on the front and back, plus stuck a giant logo on the bumper.

I said take it off or pay me $350 a month to advertise for you.

They took it off. When they brought the truck back there was a distinct oval where they peeled the logo off. I told them that was unacceptable for a brand new vehicle, so they had their bodyshop guys buff it out.

Might be too late for you, since you drove it off the lot.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:10:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Every new vehicle I bought had their sticker or metal emblem put on during make ready.

when they brought the vehicle out and I saw it, I asked that it be removed. They would drive it off to the shop and bring it back. Emblem gone.

Never have I drove off the dealers lot with it on there. Sure I could remove it at home but if I screw up the paint it's one me.

The last 2 I bought I told them do not put that on there during make ready. And they did not do put it on there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Use floss or some thick fishing line to cut behind the emblem. Then use goo gone and some elbow grease.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Pallas:
Dental floss and goo gone, warming it up helps too.

View Quote

Rivets? Ha, they used to engrave it in the rear bumper of trucks. Granted , those trucks did not come with a rear bumper from the factory. If you asked and paid for the bumper at the dealer it would have the dealer name and town/city on it.

But to me , that is different. I would accept that.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Cape_hunter:
dental floss
heat gun
/thread
View Quote

This.
It's the first thing I do anytime I buy a car from a dealership.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TresOsos:

A hair dryer and its off in a couple of minutes....
View Quote

This!  On high, or a heat gun on low.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine gets me a lot of benefits so I leave it on.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I can't believe how many people drive around with "localcardealership.com" accross the fucking rear windshield in my area.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By RamaSita:
I can't believe how many people drive around with "localcardealership.com" accross the fucking rear windshield in my area.
View Quote

Those are courtesy loaner cars and usually say so right under the “local car dealership.com”
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Ironic timing.

Just closed on a new 4Runner - and my only stipulation was no dealer badges.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Pokernut:
View Quote

Explain.

It’s pretty easy, really. Let them know during negotiations that no dealer “stuff” should be attached. I also request they don’t install the front license plate bracket.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I can see being pissed if it was fresh off the truck and you told them upfront you didn't want a dealer sticker on it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#37]
I rip off every fucking dealership logo put on my cars. Hell. Most of the manufacture logos have come off my current car so I could put different color ones on. Or eliminate some I deem unnecessary.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#38]
My parents talk about a car they special ordered straight from the manufacturer with the dealer only doing delivery. Said dealer drilled holes in the tailgate to install their badge. Parents refused delivery and had manufacturer send another vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By sledhead907:

Explain.

It's pretty easy, really. Let them know during negotiations that no dealer "stuff" should be attached. I also request they don't install the front license plate bracket.
View All Quotes

Explain.

It's pretty easy, really. Let them know during negotiations that no dealer "stuff" should be attached. I also request they don't install the front license plate bracket.

Here you go.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By RamaSita:
View Quote
Those around here are usually loaner cars.

Some dealers here wont take them off if you ask them. They "claim" its company policy that they have to be on when the customer leaves. Place I bought my Sonoma refused to takeoff the decal. Told them to take another $1500 off the truck then. Off it came ricky ticky.

Moms van came with a license plate frame on it when we picked it up. It covered the state name on the top and half of both reg stickers on the bottom. Thats a big no-no in WI. Sales guy got mad when I walked behind the van with a screw driver and removed it and handed it back to him. Mom went inside again to have a chat with the sale mgr. Salesman got chewed out.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:39:11 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

Like what?

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

Send them a bill for advertising on your truck.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Al Packer Ford here in Palm Beach put some kind of decal on my F150 when I picked it up in 98. It was impossible to remove. I think they used marine epoxy or something I don't know LoL. I ended up messing up the paint where the sticker was.  Almost 30 years later and there is still traces of that damn sticker on the truck. :/
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Here you go.
View All Quotes

Explain.

Here you go.

Step 1: rip that shit off you car.
Step 2: put a magnetic backing on the logo thing.
Step 3: put the damn thing back on when you need something.
Step 4: profit????
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By 1badf350:

Those are courtesy loaner cars and usually say so right under the “local car dealership.com”
View Quote

Nope.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By mjohn3006:

View Quote
 Its tiny and my luck I would lose it or forget to put it back on.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#47]

She then told that in her 9 years of working there, she has never had anyone complain about the logo.  

View Quote

She's fuckin lyin to you. We just got a new Explorer and all the dealers around here put those free advertising decals on the back. I told em unless they're willing to pay me a monthly fee, don't do it on ours. Fuckin guy said the same exact bullshit line.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:47:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bravo_Six] [#48]
I never make an offer of a vehicle without making it contingent on no stickers or emblems.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mjohn3006:

Fair enough.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ranging-by-zipcode:

You can remove it

No, your problem was you didn't notice it at the stealer ship so they could have taken care of the removal.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top