Page / 5
Posted: 5/21/2024 11:33:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 11:41:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent Post!!

Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 11:47:41 PM EDT
[#2]
California definitely getting cancer from that, but no malaria or Zika.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 11:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Talstar cheaper on amazon

Everything else you said is legit.  Talstar/ bifenthrin is the shit
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 11:50:32 PM EDT
[#4]
You can also fog talstar at 2 oz/gal if you are looking for tick control in the yard
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 11:51:14 PM EDT
[#5]
And people wonder why bees are dying  ..
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 11:52:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I mix up This permethrin for the recommended % and spray around my house. I spray out about 10-15 feet from the house, all the windows and exterior lights, a stream on the foundation and all the deck posts. It cuts down the exterior bugs a whole lot. The surprise was spraying the windows and lights, most of the flying bugs go to the windows and lights and it kills em.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate mosquitoes with a passion, but I want to keep good bugs, like bees and lightning bugs, around and healthy.  Does that juice kill off everything?
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 11:54:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 11:55:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 11:57:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#10]
I use the Milwaukee M18 sprayer and Bifen I/T (Identical to Talstar P) 4x a year.

Harmless to family, deadly to all things buggy.

I spray the entire yard.

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:02:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kbi] [#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:
I mix up This permethrin for the recommended % and spray around my house. I spray out about 10-15 feet from the house, all the windows and exterior lights, a stream on the foundation and all the deck posts. It cuts down the exterior bugs a whole lot. The surprise was spraying the windows and lights, most of the flying bugs go to the windows and lights and it kills em.
View Quote

Every 3 month at my house exterior

15 gallons of that stuff diluted

European hornets

Carpenter bees

Spiders

Die die die

And I've been burning leaves and brush to cause a smoke affect to help keep them away
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Hate skeeters but I don't even like spraying glyphosate in the driveway.  I don't like spraying myself with bug spray either... But... Damn that seems excessive. I like most bugs. They're beneficial.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:37:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I just ordered some talstar along with an igr on sunday.  The skeeters are so thick in the backyard it's like a mosquito blanket in the mornings and I take the dog out on a leash everytime.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Invatech Italia 868 backpack mister blower.  It is a couple of years old. It works great. As someone said before, spraying around light a draws the bugs in and kills them on the spot. I mist my travel trailer before trips. It takes out a lot of bugs in our RV spot when they are attracted to the lights. We also don’t have big problems in or the travel trailer.

You can get a backpack mister for under $400 that will be reliable and do the job. I use mine on my home and lake house.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 12:49:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Murderer!
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 1:18:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Jayne_Cobb:
View Quote

Yep, and it's shitty.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 2:37:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Cardplayer:

Yep, and it's shitty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Cardplayer:

Yep, and it's shitty.
As someone mentioned earlier, show me an alternative that spares the bees, but kills the mosquitos, and I'll be all for it. Nothing like this has been presented.

So, for now, I'm going with the option that allows me to actually go outside and enjoy my yard.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 2:50:00 AM EDT
[#18]
This stuff seems to work well for me.

https://www.domyown.com/demand-cs-p-46.html
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 3:57:10 AM EDT
[#19]
How does this stuff affect pets?
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 4:14:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 15jonshoot:
View Quote

Supposedly safe for pets after it dries.

I have the same setup as OP and use a combination of talstar and archer for mosquito and carpenter bee control in a backpack blower. Once the mosquitoes start up I spray the house eaves and non-flowering vegetation around the house monthly. I'm not a fan of killing anything/everything in the insect kingdom but mosquitoes make outdoor in the evening pretty much unbearable around my house at the lake during the warmer months.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 4:18:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Everyone body be spraying neurotoxins like it’s going out of style.

This won’t cause any problems in 50 years…
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 5:58:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Meh we usually just stay inside the screened lanai around the pool.  No bugs and no worries.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 6:14:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Do you need a fogger for this stuff or will a weed sprayer type device work?
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Nature be scary, but not so much when you poison the shit out of everything in sight. Maybe you should get a screened in porch.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 6:51:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Meh, I'll just wear a head net and some bug juice instead of nuking the whole area.

Some of you all should stay in the city.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes

GD don’t listen to no science man.

Originally Posted By cfcw:
Supposedly safe for pets after it dries.

Unless science man hired by pesticide company says what they want to hear, then it is all about the science.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#28]
We use Permethrin like God intended.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 6:56:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Yep,  We were paying like $700 a year to have a service come out and spray for skeeters,  the backpacking blower paid for itself immediately.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 6:58:16 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

My dog has lyme,  I'd rather kill local bees and fireflies than have my kids get Lyme disease.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 6:59:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:

My dog has lyme,  I'd rather kill local bees and fireflies than have my kids get Lyme disease.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DirkericPitt:

Sounds like you should move somewhere safe.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:02:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lorax] [#32]
Originally Posted By Scott_S:
I hate mosquitoes with a passion, but I want to keep good bugs, like bees and lightning bugs, around and healthy.  Does that juice kill off everything?
View Quote

Yes, the synthetic pyrethroids like Talstar/Bifen kill off everything. So do a lot of other products with different modes of affecting insects.
As a service, I don't do mosquito treatments. For that reason, and also around here, people usually don't have the correct setting and environmental factors to do it correctly and have it do anything. It fails 90% of the time here. I just won't waste my time.

It's why I laugh every year I see yard signs for the latest and greatest mosquito control companies. Our last Mosquito Joe franchise here lasted 1.5 seasons. And our seasons are short here.

I can look at a property and instantly tell if it will work......or not. I can also mitigate the killing off of the beneficial bugs and adjust treatment with other alternative products or going another route.
However, I will do only two homes for existing customers. They have the type of landscape that is perfect for taking a treatment. I only do it for events at their places. Nice big properties where they have family weddings and office party type stuff.This year, they both have Grad parties. What I do there works great. But I can't get even near the result at my own house despite all the equipment, chem, technique and know how.

Nope, the guy with the amazon account just "gives'er a little more" or does it 4 times to get the result desired. And sometimes, that doesn't even work.
Results will vary by a lot. It's NOT a cure all if you don't have the correct setting. Because the environmental factors around where skeeters harbor up and hide is way more important than anything else. If you don't have that, it's not going to work. No matter how much you spray.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:02:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#33]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
Since it is that time of year, I thought I would bring up the issue of skeeters/ticks/wasps again. I said this last year, but I'll say it again: IT IS WORTH THE MONEY.

Get yourself a backpack sprayer (I have a Stihl 400 series, but you don't need that fancy) and get some of this and kill the little blood sucking bastards.

I've tried ALL the  natural stuff. Some of it works meh, some not at all. I've tried the skeeter traps, poison traps, zappers, everything. Nothing really works. I got so fed up, I decided it was them or me. I went all in, and got the kit. 100% night and day. We have nearly no ticks, skeeters, wasps, ants, spiders, any of those bugs that are either dangerous or annoying, and our cabin is in the woods by the river!!!! Our house is next to a 1000 acre swamp! All I do is spray the yard once to kill what is there, then just spray the perimeter every 4-6 weeks until the end of bug season. By perimeter, I mean I use the backpack sprayer to get as far into the woods as it will go, covering everything up to about 20' high. Sure, I can't eat the wild edibles, but it's a small price to pay. I also spray the eves of the house/garage, and the perimeter of the buildings along the ground.

As a "gift" offer to spray your neighbors' yards. Helps them, but also makes a bigger buffer zone for you.

I now think about a much larger blower system that is either on a trailer or I can put in the UTV so I don't have to go back and refill so often.
View Quote

I spray concentrated pemethrin.

Everything crawls out of the ground to die.

For me it's more ant control than mosquitos though. I had a carpenter ant issue when I moved in. None of the terro/traps/granules seem to affect them. But pemethrin gets rid of them instantly.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:02:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By FDC:
Meh, I'll just wear a head net and some bug juice instead of nuking the whole area.

Some of you all should stay in the city.
View Quote

Nuisance animals get killed.  Nuisance plants get killed.  Bugs are no different.  They attack me ;unprovoked) so I will attack them back.

If I wanted to be forced to tolerate nuisances and be powerless to deal with them I’d live in town.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:03:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: makintrax73] [#35]
View Quote

The reality is that damn near every single kernel of seed corn and soybeans are "treated" with neonicotinoids.  That stuff stays in the plants and soil for 5 years, and it is effectively applied every year.  That is 180,000,000 acres with insect and bee killing chemicals applied to it, and honestly I have no idea whether wheat, canola, cotton, etc are also treated or not.  The farmer that farms my farm does not use them, and says he sees no economic benefit to the treatment, but you have to go out of your way to get untreated seed because it is not readily available.

So the reality is that OP and his yard aren't even a drop in the bucket.  He might as well enjoy his yard.  My problem is whether those chemicals are safe for the people that apply them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:13:40 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

I think this is the stuff I sprayed on my screen porch years back. I let the cat out a few hours later and he was acting lethargic and drunk.  Had to take him inside and kept him off the porch for a day. I’d say give it 24 hours.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#37]
One cannot go outside here at dusk without any cajun cologne lest they risk anemia due to blood loss. The mosquito population is huge and the parish has used its annual budget for control in March.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

Sounds like you should move somewhere safe.
View Quote

Why,  I can make the bugs leave.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:26:57 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Yeah, that's going to kill everything in the yard and probably isn't good for the birds either.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#40]
This is just a part of natural selection.  The bees will have to get tougher.

Murder Hornets was just the next step in evolution.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:31:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Hanging empty gourds on a line will bring in purple martins.

They eat mosquitos like they're being paid to do it.

I'm surrounded by 500 acres of field and woodland with 2 ponds 40yds from the house.

I have zero issues with mosquitos.  

No need for the pesticides.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:37:46 AM EDT
[#42]
I won’t use that shit around my kid

Also won’t carpet bomb every bee, butterfly and spider either
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:40:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Lorax] [#43]
Originally Posted By rob78:
Hanging empty gourds on a line will bring in purple martins.

They eat mosquitos like they're being paid to do it.

I'm surrounded by 500 acres of field and woodland with 2 ponds 40yds from the house.

I have zero issues with mosquitos.  

No need for the pesticides.
View Quote

I have many birdhouses in my backyard for flycatchers. I also run a fan across my patio. Skeeters and gnats hate moving air. No chem needed. I also trim back my trees and bushes to allow more sunlight down deep where they hide during the day.
But that's "work'.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:45:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hillcountry] [#44]
I remember as a kid in the 1950’s my family was as at a cookout at a family acquaintance’s house. all was well and then at dusk the guy pulls out some kind hand- crank sprayer and starts covering the yard in DDT! I remember all the people standing I. This “fog” of poison shit and nobody cared…🤣
I can still smell and taste that shit 70 years later…😳
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:55:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Reaper] [#45]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
I use the Milwaukee M18 sprayer and Bifen I/T (Identical to Talstar P) 4x a year.

Harmless to family, deadly to all things buggy.

I spray the entire yard.

View Quote

[tinfoil hat]

harmless like the Covid Vax, or like Roundup, or like???  

[/tinfoil hat]
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:56:10 AM EDT
[#46]
14 years ago when my wife and I were getting married we had an outdoor summer wedding planned. We got some of that and mixed it up in a large tank that we pulled with a Jeep. Hooked a power washer up to it and went all around the property blowing that as far up in the trees as 3500 psi will reach. We even got permission from the neighbors and went across the creek and did the woods on the other side. I don't think we had any problems with bugs.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Good job OP. Nuke your yard and kill every beneficial living thing that feeds and supports other beneficial living things like bees and birds.

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:
As someone mentioned earlier, show me an alternative that spares the bees, but kills the mosquitos, and I'll be all for it. Nothing like this has been presented.

So, for now, I'm going with the option that allows me to actually go outside and enjoy my yard.
View Quote

Use BTI granules or dunks in standing water. Apply DEET or Picaridin repellant to yourself if necessary. I prefer Picaridin.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 8:02:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Lawn Mower Fogger (DIY/Homemade with parts explanation)
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:
Everyone body be spraying neurotoxins like it’s going out of style.

This won’t cause any problems in 50 years…
View Quote

But, just think of all the fun you can have in your yard now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top