Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 56
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:43:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Houstons_Problem:
The first photo you posted where it looked like the bow of the ship almost hit the bumper shows how a telephoto lens compresses depth perception.

It's common on arfcom to be completely unaware of camera angle and telephoto lenses presenting distorted perceptions.

Photos in this post make it clear that the ship is pretty far away.

Also, I have no idea what those bumpers were actually supposed to accomplish. Pinball bumpers serve no purpose against marine traffic.
View Quote
No much considering the taper of the hull from the water line to the prow was wider than the base of the pillars.  Prow probably hit before the hull at the water line.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:03:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Sebastian_MacMaine:
https://i.imgur.com/b93Fyfy.jpeg
View Quote

Typical GD mouthbreathing ignorance..
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By DonKey153:

And anybody who claims responsibility in a remotely credible way will be hunted for the rest of their lives. If they don't, it kinda defeats the purpose of a high profile attack.  

View Quote
I'm not saying this was an attack. But I see no reason to claim responsibility for an attack.

State actors don't necessarily function and attack targets the same way as terrorists.

State attacks can be successful by targeting things where destruction of the target alone is enough

Nordstream pipeline comes to mind.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By LoBrau:

They won't. It'll be a triumph of brutalist utilitarianism. No matter how much time and money they throw at it.
View Quote
It's hard to build a cable stayed bridge that looks ugly.

Bridges aren't buildings. Going to be difficult to apply style terms like brutalist to a bridge.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#5]
The first photo you posted where it looked like the bow of the ship almost hit the bumper shows how a telephoto lens compresses depth perception.

It's common on arfcom to be completely unaware of camera angle and telephoto lenses presenting distorted perceptions.

Also, I have no idea what those bumpers were actually supposed to accomplish. Pinball bumpers serve no purpose against marine traffic.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I've said it before in this thread: the last time this happened, this is what the new bridge looked like:

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting picture above showing the new cable-stayed bridge, and you can see the older bridges next to it being dismantled.

I looked it up, that's the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Tampa Florida, built in 1987 after the previous bridge had the same incident with a ship destroying the earlier bridge.

The newer 1987 bridge has very substantial structures all around the towers to help prevent an impact (called dolphins - I had no idea that's what they were called when reading earlier posts). Clearly this protection is an item that we've realized is a necessity for bridges in shipping channels.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By wwglen:

Hazardous materials are generally not allowed in tunnels.
View Quote

Eisenhower, Johnson tunnels, closes to regular traffic, in bad weather, to allow hazmat trucks to go through the mountain.  IIRC, once per hour, tunnels are 1.7 miles long, under the continental divide in Colorado on I-70.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Dboy11:

I’m on 2 tunnel projects right now.  It will cost more and take longer LOL
View Quote

Thanks, pretty much ship proof though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:13:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Jack_Of_Some_Trades:

but think of the local marine life.  probably not a fun day if people start popping off detcord in the water nearby.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jack_Of_Some_Trades:
Originally Posted By fox2008:
Originally Posted By G-lock:
Originally Posted By realwar:
They said the largest crane there can pick up a max of 1,000 tons. The piece of bridge laying on the ship they say weighs around 3,000 tons, so they are going to have to chop it up with torches and remove it piece by piece.

Det cord cutting charges seem like they would be more efficient/faster??

It would also seem safer to me.  When you have that much material mangled like that, it can be hard to predict what will happen when you cut a piece….even more so when a significant portion is underwater and can’t be seen.  Using cutting charges would let the workers be away from the mess when a section is “cut” away.

I also don’t do this type of work, so I’m just guessing here.

but think of the local marine life.  probably not a fun day if people start popping off detcord in the water nearby.  

Honestly…don’t care. It’s not like they’re in a pond and trapped….sure the first couple booms might kill a few fish but  rest can swim either direction to get away.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
I've said it before in this thread: the last time this happened, this is what the new bridge looked like:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/86/Skyway_Bridge_old_and_new.jpg/1920px-Skyway_Bridge_old_and_new.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By HikerB:
Interesting picture above showing the new cable-stayed bridge, and you can see the older bridges next to it being dismantled.

I looked it up, that's the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Tampa Florida, built in 1987 after the previous bridge had the same incident with a ship destroying the earlier bridge.

The newer 1987 bridge has very substantial structures all around the towers to help prevent an impact (called dolphins - I had no idea that's what they were called when reading earlier posts). Clearly this protection is an item that we've realized is a necessity for bridges in shipping channels.

View Quote

You would think a system could be retrofit? , don't see why it couldn't .  They assumed there would never be a modern ship collision ? ,  lot of blame being thrown around ,  don't leave out Government.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
My Danish ship captain friend living here in Pattaya sent me this video in which a ship engineer expert gives his explanation of what happened, and my friend agrees with this experts opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEzDh4RwpaM

View Quote

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Morlawn66:

You would think a system could be retrofit? , don't see why it couldn't .  They assumed there would never be a modern ship collision ? ,  lot of blame being thrown around ,  don't leave out Government.
View Quote

It's not assuming it will never happen, it's assessing that it's extremely unlikely and the cost doesn't offset the benefit.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Chesapeake 1000 Arrives for Salvage Operations

Chesapeake 1000 Arrives for Salvage Operations

DonJon Marine's massive Chesapeake 1000 arrived in Baltimore for the dangerous salvage work set to begin soon at the Francis Scott Key Bridge.  This heavy lifting crane will be part of the assembling armada of floating lifting equipment used to clean up the collapsed bridge.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Curious, what about running a long cable from shore and winch the steel pieces closer to land and out of the channel?  I'm sure there are a few thousand jeep owners who can rig up their winches.    
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:47:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#18]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 7:
Curious, what about running a long cable from shore and winch the steel pieces closer to land and out of the channel?  I'm sure there are a few thousand jeep owners who can rig up their winches.    
View Quote

That whole area west of the bay between Armistead Park and Curtis Creek is basically industrial/abandoned run down and would be perfect for scrapping out the old bridge remains. Then again, based on its size it will probably be cut up, loaded on to barges and then taken down and out of the Chesapeake and sank offshore
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Did they start torching that shit out of the channel yet?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:

That whole area west of the bay between Armistead Park and Curtis Creek is basically industrial/abandoned run down and would be perfect for scrapping out the old bridge remains. Then again, based on its size it will probably be cut up, loaded on to barges and then taken down and out of the Chesapeake and sank offshore
View Quote
sank?  Nah, that will get recycled.  10K tons of steel at 3 cents a pound!  It's half a million bucks in scrap.  Does baltimore have tweakers?  They'd have it cleaned up in no time.

It'll be car bodies or structural beams in a year or two.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:03:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Socio] [#22]
Originally Posted By Poodleshooter:

It took 5 years to build it in the 70s, FWIW. Given that this will require removal of wreckage and probably a complete redesign of the busted bridge piers, it's not too surprising.
View Quote

They were taking about this on the radio this morning; that back then people knew how to build bridges, today not so much, that with the dumbing down our education system, going from a meritocracy based education and hiring system to a DEI  based system, and the massively increased government regulatory system they speculated at least 20 years before the new bridges completion. That as a result the construction of it will be plagued with failures and flaws far after it is finished.

To me that makes sense, just looking at road work/construction today, at least around where I live,  I bet it is taking easily 5-10 times longer for jobs to be completed than it did 20 years ago even with all the technological advancements since then.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Who's got the good-quality pics?

Someone on this forum always comes up with the good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#25]
They need to public webcam the site from multiple angles.  High res, night vision.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By brass:

... The video above from the Danish captain meshes with the video and the track. When they got power back and turned the engine to reverse, that pushed the rear to port, making the first 5° turn in path, then the power went out and when they got the power back the second time they went full astern again which is all the black smoke belching out and the propeller pulled the stern of the ship further to port making the second 10° turn in the path which aimed it straight at the bridge pylon.  If they'd have left it in forward the whole time, it would have missed but they didn't know that until hindsight.  I think that puts all conspiracy theories to rest as it makes senses and matches the track and video side by side showing when the turns happened to make it around the single bumper  and still hit the pylon.  

I remember this also being a problem with the bridge collapse in Tasmania back in the 70s when this bridge was being built (video and details somewhere in first 10 pages).  Isn't that "paddle wheel effect" known well enough t keep them coasting instead of trying to slow down from 8 knots in a quarter mile?  

Still, all explained now, he lays it out clearly how the big prop pushes/pulls the ship when spinning because of the large size it's not a perfect forward vector
View Quote

A few pages back, I was told that theory was unpossible since they ship never regained propulsion power. The "experts" said it was the wind that pushed the stern to port and the bow to starboard.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#27]
It’s sad (and concerning) that people think this was a conspiracy.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Watch these illegal aliens eyes (1:12)

Victims of Baltimore Key Bridge collapse honored by construction workers
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#29]
A container ship in Turkey, on Saturday, March 3, toppled three cranes causing extensive damage

Dockworker Sprints For Safety as Container Ship Collision Topples Cranes at Turkish Port
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Socio:

They were taking about this on the radio this morning; that back then people knew how to build bridges, today not so much, that with the dumbing down our education system, going from a meritocracy based education and hiring system to a DEI  based system, and the massively increased government regulatory system they speculated at least 20 years before the new bridges completion. That as a result the construction of it will be plagued with failures and flaws far after it is finished.

To me that makes sense, just looking at road work/construction today, at least around where I live,  I bet it is taking easily 5-10 times longer for jobs to be completed than it did 20 years ago even with all the technological advancements since then.
View Quote

lol…the knowledge to build bridges is well beyond what it was historically. I would guess regulation & permitting has gotten significantly worse…which also ties back to corruption. The other thing that can’t be dismissed is risk aversion…11 people died building the Golden Gate Bridge, if half that died rebuilding this bridge the lawsuits would double the cost of the bridge and the project owners would be drug in front of congress and crucified in the media. Being safer is great but it normally means more people, more time and more money.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 5:57:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OregonShooter] [#31]
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/corporate-profiteering-destroyed-the-baltimore-bridge/ar-BB1kNLtw?ocid=msedgntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=350972b7aa1746b3f9cb5b33f6c4ba65&ei=60

Corporate Profiteering Destroyed the Baltimore Bridge

The incident is a symbol of how unfettered capitalism has resulted in safety concerns becoming secondary to profits.

The Dali, operated by shipping giant Maersk, was carrying more than 800 tons of corrosive and flammable materials. Transportation secretary Pete Buttigieg likened the 95,000-ton ship to an aircraft carrier and the New York Times explained that “When the bridge was built, cargo ships were not the size they are today.” In fact, such ships have grown steadily in size over the past few decades. One economist told the Times that shipping companies “did what they thought was most efficient for themselves—make the ships big—and they didn’t pay much attention at all to the rest of the world.” This in turn has forced nations to expand waterways to accommodate the behemoths, often at the expense of the public.
View Quote

The Times explained that, for years the company “put too much emphasis on increasing profits and enriching shareholders with dividends and share buybacks, and not enough on investing in engineering and safety.”

It’s worth stating the obvious: An unsafe aircraft is not an aircraft, it’s a death trap. And yet, within a capitalist framework, everything boils down to a cost-benefit analysis. If the cost of safety for companies like Boeing or Maersk outweighs the financial benefits, it’s simply not worth it for executives and shareholders. While the Alaska Airlines flight thankfully did not result in any deaths this time, hundreds of people on board 737s in 2018 and 2019 were not so lucky. Workers at Boeing factories in Washington and South Carolina where aircraft are assembled are required to work at breakneck speed and compromise on safety in the interest of churning out planes as fast as possible.

Who pays the price for such corporate hubris? Vulnerable workers and the public. In the case of the Baltimore bridge accident, all 22 workers on board the Dali were of Indian origin and their quick thinking in notifying authorities that the ship lost power helped ensure that casualties were minimized. As of this writing, they remain trapped on board the ship with one worker having been treated at a hospital for minor injuries.

Meanwhile, the six people who are presumed dead and two who were rescued from the frigid waters were all immigrant workers from Mexico and Central America, working on the bridge as part of a construction crew.

These are the same sort of people who suffer racist attacks and ridicule from white supremacist forces in the U.S. A right-wing outlet posted a virulently racist cartoon of the Dali’s crew on social media. And only weeks earlier, Georgia’s unhinged ultraconservative Congressional representative Marjorie Taylor Greene heckled President Joe Biden during his State of the Union address about a white woman who “was killed by an illegal,” in an attempt to whip up anti-immigrant frenzy.

Greene appeared utterly unconcerned about the fact that construction workers in the U.S. hail disproportionately from Latin American immigrant communities and many die from work-related injuries. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2022, “Foreign-born Hispanic or Latino workers accounted for 63.5 percent (792) of total Hispanic or Latino worker fatalities (1,248).”
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:02:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: realwar] [#32]
Salvage operations halted

*Nevermind just saw this.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Maniobra mal realizada daña mercancia en Contenedor
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:09:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#34]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By -SkyRaider-:
Did they start torching that shit out of the channel yet?
View Quote

Yea, seeing some big flames on the live cam.
Thermal lance melting it like butter.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By eolian:

View Quote

@eolian

Got a link to the webcam?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#37]
3/26/24 - Baltimore City Fire - Francis Scott Key Bridge Collapse - Radio Traffic - First 90 Minutes
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#38]

@eolian

Thanks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eolian:

@eolian

Thanks.

Baltimore, Maryland USA | StreamTime LIVE
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:

The rule back in the 80s was never to eat lobster in a restaurant in Boston. I used to run all over that filthy harbor in a little runabout and it was all I could do to avoid the lobster traps that were everywhere. Disgusting. I went along one time with a buddy from TN that wanted to fish the Charles river. He pulled up huge catfish but they were covered in lesions. He got over the urge to fish in Boston.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:
Originally Posted By brass:
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:

Probably not a lot of marine life in Baltimore Harbor.

Yeah not really. One of the guys on my boat fished Curtis Creek every single day we were in the yard and didn't catch shit. You get lower in the Chesapeake and they're all about the cobia and stripers though. Might be some good ones in the deep channel making the steel structure their new home though

Wasn't Baltimore ranked near Boston Harbor for most polluted Harbors back 30 years ago?   I know Boston had the Chlorine production factories discharging into the harbor and their combined sewer/runoff dumped untreated sewage into the harbor when it rained, not sure if Baltimore had a similar setup and factories just dumping water into the harbor so there weren't really any fish to catch and the scavengers of the water that were there had essentially toxic meat and there were signs not to eat anything caught.   That didn't stop the people from the orient who would catch and eat anything.

The rule back in the 80s was never to eat lobster in a restaurant in Boston. I used to run all over that filthy harbor in a little runabout and it was all I could do to avoid the lobster traps that were everywhere. Disgusting. I went along one time with a buddy from TN that wanted to fish the Charles river. He pulled up huge catfish but they were covered in lesions. He got over the urge to fish in Boston.

Love that dirty water!
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#40]
AP just posted this - Barge collides with bridge in Oklahoma

Barge collides with bridge in Oklahoma

The Oklahoma State Patrol says it closed a highway south of Sallisaw after a barge struck a bridge over the Arkansas River.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:49:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Houstons_Problem] [#41]
Originally Posted By 7empest:

Just seeing car bombings in pictures and news clips from the last 20 years is enough to tell me it was a bomb

engines do not separate from the frames from car crashes like this

https://i.imgur.com/yhQyg1o.jpeg
View Quote
The car was filmed going very fast, crashing and becoming airborne.

Engines certainly do separate from frames in car accidents. I was driving home to Virginia from Maryland after a Who concert in 1982. Pretty sure it was that concert.

Anyway we were passed by a couple of cars racing. One of the cars was a late 70's Camaro and the engine was screaming.

We caught up to them a bit later on the elevated highway leaving the Capitol Center. Camaro was broke in two pieces. We saw the back part first. Don't remember seeing the front part. I remember the engine laying all by itself in the middle of the road. Not part of the car anymore. There was various debris strewn about.

But that engine was laying in the road by itself like it fell apart off the back of a junkyard truck.

Basically, it looked almost exactly like the scene from the Bentley engine block pic you posted.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:01:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Nah it was a quote from one of the special people in the thread on the event.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Niagara-Falls-USA-Canadian-border-closed-Possible-Car-bombing-/5-2688348/?page=6

View Quote
Somewhere on arfcom, someone can't understand why a bridge crash didn't cause a giant 2 stroke Marine diesel to fly out of the ship and land somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Engines certainly do separate from frames in car accidents. I was driving home to Virginia from Maryland after a Who concert in 1982. Pretty sure it was that concert.

Anyway we were passed by a couple of cars racing. One of the cars was a late 70's Camaro and the engine was screaming.

We caught up to them a bit later on the elevated highway leaving the Capitol Center. Camaro was broke in two pieces. We saw the back part first. Don't remember seeing the front part. I remember the engine laying all by itself in the middle of the road. Not part of the car anymore. There was various debris strewn about.

But that engine was laying in the road by itself like it fell apart off the back of a junkyard truck.

Basically, it looked almost exactly like the scene from the Bentley engine block pic you posted.
View All Quotes

Just seeing car bombings in pictures and news clips from the last 20 years is enough to tell me it was a bomb

Don't bother with the conspiracy people. Videos of the crash and moments leading up to it are all over YouTube. It's a sad situation and nothing nefarious. Some people lean on conspiracy theories to help understand things they cannot grasp, scary but I get it.

I've seen a Prius crash with the engine laying on the road. I've also seen some others with engines outside of the vehicle but there was some of the vehicle with the engine. None of those were at the speed of that Bentley.

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#44]
When dudes are flame cutting the steel members, how do they know that a massive amount of stored energy won’t be released when they complete the cut and unalive their asses?

Or do they use expendable/disposable type guys for this type of work?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:25:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#45]
My Danish ship captain friend living here in Pattaya sent me this video in which a ship engineer expert gives his explanation of what happened, and my friend agrees with this experts opinion.

View Quote

Good video.  Thanks.  Follow up video:

Mv Dali Baltimore crash follow up video.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:06:00 AM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Thanks for quoting that post. I want to point something out. That kind of ignorance breeds conspiracy theories. He’s never seen an engine separate from a car frame so it must be a bomb blast. New safety standards and engineering actually WANTS the engine to separate from the vehicle to reduce its mass/inertia and lessen impacts. Modern vehicles have aluminum or hollow engine mount bolts that shear extremely easily in crashes so the engine can yeet free of the vehicle. The vehicle’s already totaled, might as well make the occupants as safe as possible,

I didn’t know that until one of the bolts was handed to me. I was shocked by how light and weak it seems. Anyways it’s still hard to see how somebody who didn’t know that might make the leap to government conspiracy to cover up a terrorist bomb blast at a customs checkpoint. But here you are, tin foil and all
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Sailboat:
Don't bother with the conspiracy people. Videos of the crash and moments leading up to it are all over YouTube. It's a sad situation and nothing nefarious. Some people lean on conspiracy theories to help understand things they cannot grasp, scary but I get it.

I've seen a Prius crash with the engine laying on the road. I've also seen some others with engines outside of the vehicle but there was some of the vehicle with the engine. None of those were at the speed of that Bentley.
View Quote

Because they’re designed to. The engines come out STUPID easy in a crash, or a bomb blast
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:08:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:12:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Riter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIEo8CCd--Y
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Riter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIEo8CCd--Y

Another very informative video. Thank you.

I know this fellow says going astern (in reverse) may have been the wrong way to go - in hindsight. HOWEVER...it may have been the only defensible (as in a courtroom) choice because just imagine if the pilot decided to go with more power forward AND still hit the bridge. They'd have the pilot's head on a Pike - maybe literally.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 1:18:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Key Bridge Baltimore: No Collapse Guards Like Sunshine Skyway
Page / 56
Top Top