Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2024 12:26:52 PM EDT
Daughter will be mobile in about 6 months... Or less.. Her mother is trying to get her a hardship license so it may be sooner.. Im currently looking at vehicles and prices, which is a swift kick in the taint. Is it as easy as putting an air tag on the vehicle? (I have never used an airtag but I feel like they have some limits) Or for the folks that have done this, what did you use? Safety is the biggest concern. Any chance that some of these track speed? I know newer cars have apps for the cars to monitor some things like this...
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Life 360.

Apple pick as back up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
Life 360.

Apple pick as back up.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m so glad I grew up before any of this crap.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:10:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1mitch1] [#4]
life 360 or find a friend
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Don’t track the vehicle, unless you are worried about it being stolen, track her phone.

Life360 will give you all the driving information you want to need.  

But don’t use it.

Let your snowflake make mistakes.  Let her do stupid shit and survive.

If you notice a trend in stupidity, talk to her about it, but try not to fly your helicopter over her just because you can.

Park your snowplow and let her grow.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:15:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HoodyHoo21] [#6]
Make her put Life 360 on her phone. You can track location, speed, etc.

My Son has Life 360 on his phone...it's not an option.

Edit:
And I agree with Clarinath above. We don't bird dog my son.....it's used mostly to figure out when he'll be home.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:22:14 PM EDT
[#7]
lol. we won't track our kids.  they know and are not stupid.  my son's friend would stay over with another fren and toss phone in bushes before going out.  

trust and communication is best you can ask.  that's a trust level you have to achieve, and once they see others lose for being stupid, you gain a little bit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Just placed an Air Tag in a cheap AR I leave by my bedside.

Not sure I’d ever track a person unless there was a really good reason.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Kids aren't old enough yet to drive, but we put trackers on their school backpacks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Life 360 is good for everything BUT I utilize the T-mobile tracker. OBD plugin that relays vehicle info and driving, you can set up alerts and boundaries, AND it gives them a hotspot in the car. $10 a month.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:
Don't track the vehicle, unless you are worried about it being stolen, track her phone.

Life360 will give you all the driving information you want to need.  

But don't use it.

Let your snowflake make mistakes.  Let her do stupid shit and survive.

If you notice a trend in stupidity, talk to her about it, but try not to fly your helicopter over her just because you can.

Park your snowplow and let her grow.
View Quote
I'm in this camp.

Don't use it unless you have a reason, checking in every so often perhaps.  In my experience, kids soon forget that you can theoretically see what they are doing.  Don't remind them you can with nagging questions like "why are you at....?" or "what took you so long to leave....?"

My parents had none of that, so it isn't necessary.  It's just a tool that can be abused or used.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#12]
No. Better. Their phones.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I put an Optimus tracker on my son's vehicle after he fucked up - badly - and was grounded indefinitely. He was allowed to go to school and swim practice until further notice. It monitored speed, location, and I could set a geofence to let me know if he got outside of a certain area. There was a monthly fee, but the tracker itself was relatively inexpensive. It functioned as advertised.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:35:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: klinc] [#14]
She have a phone?

Track the phone...

Originally Posted By mikNtx:
lol. we won't track our kids.  they know and are not stupid.  my son's friend would stay over with another fren and toss phone in bushes before going out.  

trust and communication is best you can ask.  that's a trust level you have to achieve, and once they see others lose for being stupid, you gain a little bit.
View Quote

Our kid tracks us way more than we track her... God damn nosey!!! ...and yeah that one time I/we forgot to turn off the wife's location when we were somewhere daughter doesn't need to know anything about yet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#15]
GD:

GODDAMN USELESS TIT SUCKING SNOWFLAKES

Also GD:

I homeschool my children to completely shield them from the real world and track their every physical movement via an automobile tracker and internet history via spyware.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
The number of kids who would willingly go without their phone approaches 0.02%.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By wpsharpshooter:
Daughter will be mobile in about 6 months... Or less.. Her mother is trying to get her a hardship license so it may be sooner.. Im currently looking at vehicles and prices, which is a swift kick in the taint. Is it as easy as putting an air tag on the vehicle? (I have never used an airtag but I feel like they have some limits) Or for the folks that have done this, what did you use? Safety is the biggest concern. Any chance that some of these track speed? I know newer cars have apps for the cars to monitor some things like this...
View Quote

Caterpillar has a gps unit you can have put on her car that will tell you everything you want to know. It can see when it was started and shut off, Location, speed, ETC. it requires subscribing to their program.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Torf:
View Quote

Lol

Yeah, teens are no longer interested in sex/alcohol and are too stupid to outsmart their parents.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:47:54 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Life 360 app on phone
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:52:10 PM EDT
[#21]
https://gpsandtrack.com/car_tracker/

I have one of these in my RV
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Although some kind of tracking device on vehicle itself isn't a bad idea for car theft
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By H1Mech:

Lol

Yeah, teens are no longer interested in sex/alcohol and are too stupid to outsmart their parents.

View All Quotes

Lol

You'd be surprised.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By xerxes2695:

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/7eb54b39-8008-4506-9e24-71ade6af9da9.fa51250b17732a7173161a2e47fb00ac.jpeg?odnWidth=1000&odnHeight=1000&odnBg=ffffff
Teens Everywhere Agree: No Snapchat, No Care
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:59:17 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

I'll never forget my father's words to me: "I know a lot of people, and if it gets back to me that you were horsing around with the car, it'll be a long time before your drive again".
I was ready to give the keys back right then and there.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#26]
We used Bouncie after our daughter was pulled over doing 85 in a 55.  $8/month, plugs into the computer port on the car, sends alerts over the cell network.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#27]
SpyTec if you want the best
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Life 360 on my kids and my mom's phones.

Wife refuses to install it on her phone... should I worry?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#29]
No, they had earned my trust way before they were 16
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:30:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By UV18:
Life 360 is good for everything BUT I utilize the T-mobile tracker. OBD plugin that relays vehicle info and driving, you can set up alerts and boundaries, AND it gives them a hotspot in the car. $10 a month.
View Quote

I was going to recommend something like this along with Life360.  We use similar devices in my company's vehicles and they give us location, mileage/house, speed, direction of travel, aggressive driving alerts, and check engine lights/codes.  We install them on a Y-cable and bury the unit up under the dash to prevent location/removal of the device in case of vehicle theft.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#31]
The kids and I share our phone loacations at all times.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:44:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Who's paying for car and insurance?
Location and other restrictions are good parenting.
They can speed and drive like shit when they are paying.

I guess parenting and rules stop at 12 for some parents.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#33]
We use Clearpath. Super accurate down to the parking spot.

accross the US

uses google street view

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

yep.  I wont be putting trackers on my kids or any of their stuff.

let them figure it out just like we had to.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Seriously.....and we paid for our jalopies, but it was worth the fulfillment  and dignity of doing it on your own and being trusted.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#36]
shows speed. you can kill the ignition too.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:21:05 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm glad none of this tech was around when I started driving in the mid-1990's, LOL.  That said, we installed a Bouncie device in my son's car when he started driving a couple years ago.  It's useful.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:22:29 PM EDT
[#38]
GD:

Also GD:

I homeschool my children to completely shield them from the real world and track their every physical movement via an automobile tracker and internet history via spyware.

View Quote
Gee Dee is quite bipolar.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#39]
I use 360 for my kids, works great…also has accident alerting, etc.

For my elderly dad with no smart phone we used air tags…put them in the vehicle and my cell number in the description so if any comes across it, works well when he is out and about.  Anytime he drives near an iPhone it checks in…
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#40]
yeah when their credit sucks...gotta be sure they pay their first months
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Nope, not trying to stalk my kids
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
View All Quotes
GD:

Also GD:

Well, it's made up of a lot of people.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By HoodyHoo21:
Make her put Life 360 on her phone.  We don't bird dog my son.....it's used mostly to figure out when he'll be home.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote
Wouldn't that make it multiple personality disorder instead?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#45]
has nothing to do with trust issues.... but useful when shit happens and I don' have to guess where are my children and how to get to them in shortest time in case of emergency... same goes for my 87 years old mother who still drives
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

No shit. If I found out my mom put anything in my car when I turned 16 I would have played so many pranks it would have given her a heart attack.

OP,

I have a 23 yr old daughter and a 16 yr old son. I trust them enough to not need to know where they are all the time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:02:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Burnsy] [#47]
Originally Posted By Samal:
has nothing to do with trust issues.... but useful when shit happens and I don' have to guess where are my children and how to get to them in shortest time in case of emergency... same goes for my 87 years old mother who still drives
View Quote
@Samal

I can only speak for me, but freedom always comes with risks.  Nobody is going to track me and I am ok with paying the risk of the very remote chance that I am in an actual emergency and that I would need that help.  Much like I don't hide in my home because I know that there are criminals in the world who mean me harm.

Given the choice, younger me would have choose the same.  My mom didn't know where I was every waking second when I was old enough to drive.  I might have been at a friends house, maybe I was at the store or headed to the bowling ally to meet my friends.  She had a general idea most of the time at least what the plan was, it wasn't secrets but she couldn't point at a device and know my exact location.  That was part of the fun...part of the freedom and independence that we got back then and I think there was something special about it.  It wasn't devious or ill intended, but a fun happen stance that turned out to be kind of important.

I know my parents didn't really have a choice because this tech didn't exist, but I am also glad they were cool about it and didn't feel that they "needed" to pinpoint my location at all times.  It made that time in my life better than it would have been otherwise.  I am glad they were ok with allowing that more than reasonable "risk", of not knowing.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#49]
I did it. Never lost her.
But she still turned gay.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes
GD:

Also GD:

It's ok. Only 1% are legit psychopaths, statistically speaking.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top