Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
@Samal

I can only speak for me, but freedom always comes with risks.  Nobody is going to track me and I am ok with paying the risk of the very remote chance that I am in an actual emergency and that I would need that help.  Much like I don't hide in my home because I know that there are criminals in the world who mean me harm.

Given the choice, younger me would have choose the same.  My mom didn't know where I was every waking second when I was old enough to drive.  I might have been at a friends house, maybe I was at the store or headed to the bowling ally to meet my friends.  She had a general idea most of the time at least what the plan was, it wasn't secrets but she couldn't point at a device and know my exact location.  That was part of the fun...part of the freedom and independence that we got back then and I think there was something special about it.  It wasn't devious or ill intended, but a fun happen stance that turned out to be kind of important.

I know my parents didn't really have a choice because this tech didn't exist, but I am also glad they were cool about it and didn't feel that they "needed" to pinpoint my location at all times.  It made that time in my life better than it would have been otherwise.  I am glad they were ok with allowing that more than reasonable "risk", of not knowing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Burnsy:
Originally Posted By Samal:
has nothing to do with trust issues.... but useful when shit happens and I don' have to guess where are my children and how to get to them in shortest time in case of emergency... same goes for my 87 years old mother who still drives
@Samal

I can only speak for me, but freedom always comes with risks.  Nobody is going to track me and I am ok with paying the risk of the very remote chance that I am in an actual emergency and that I would need that help.  Much like I don't hide in my home because I know that there are criminals in the world who mean me harm.

Given the choice, younger me would have choose the same.  My mom didn't know where I was every waking second when I was old enough to drive.  I might have been at a friends house, maybe I was at the store or headed to the bowling ally to meet my friends.  She had a general idea most of the time at least what the plan was, it wasn't secrets but she couldn't point at a device and know my exact location.  That was part of the fun...part of the freedom and independence that we got back then and I think there was something special about it.  It wasn't devious or ill intended, but a fun happen stance that turned out to be kind of important.

I know my parents didn't really have a choice because this tech didn't exist, but I am also glad they were cool about it and didn't feel that they "needed" to pinpoint my location at all times.  It made that time in my life better than it would have been otherwise.  I am glad they were ok with allowing that more than reasonable "risk", of not knowing.
Well. it's up to me as a parent to not abuse my children's freedom, regardless of the technology available to me.  my son is 22, and he can remove the app from his phone at any time... he chooses not to because he trusts me not to snoop on his life, and I sure don't... I never looked at where he was since he was in his mid-teens, and I never abused his trust and his freedom. The only time I used the app in last few years - was when I woke up at 5:00 am, and his car was not in our driveway.  I looked at the map and recognized that he was at his GF place and went back to bed.  Turned out he was too shitfaced after the bar crawl to drive and crashed at her place and didn't want to wake us up with a text or a call.  if I didn't have the app, I would've been worried and probably initiated the contact that was unnecessary.

My almost 17-year-old daughter has the absolute freedom to stay up and out as long as she wants as long as I know ahead of time about her plans. If she tells me she will be home after 11, and she is not home after midnight, I do want to keep a closer track of her whereabouts. She is a teenage girl and I am a little more risk-averse in her case for now.  

My 87-year-old mother drives herself and my 93-year-old dad to their appointments and gets groceries... they don't speak much English, and sometimes they can't hear the phone ringing, ... so I do keep track of them with alerts when they leave or arrive to their usual destinations (grocery store, dr offices, my sisters place, my place and their place) saved in the app.  and I know that if they left one saved destination and did not arrive to another saved destination in a reasonable time, I need to initiate contact

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top