BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So all the talk of "will not comply" and "molon labe" from the CT folks was all bullshit?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Will not end well for said gun owner .
Air rifle man . One should use an air rifle whenever shooting in the backyard

So all the talk of "will not comply" and "molon labe" from the CT folks was all bullshit?

I think even the staunchest of 2A defenders are ok with regulations against shooting in the backyard in the suburbs and inside city limits.

Again, if I have a rifle inside my house that the state has deemed "illegal", i'm going to do my best to avoid confrontations with the man around said homestead.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I think even the staunchest of 2A defenders are ok with regulations against shooting in the backyard in the suburbs and inside city limits.

Again, if I have a rifle inside my house that the state has deemed "illegal", i'm going to do my best to avoid confrontations with the man around said homestead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This isn't about shooting the squirrel.  This is about them seizing his legally-owned rifle and magazines and charging him with a crime.  Apparently everyone here is okay with that.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
shooting a squirrel is cruelty to an animal?
View Quote

Its not if there's a season on them. Many cops are ignorant though
Gr
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
When guns are outlawed, 50% of ARFCOM will stand in line to turn in the other 50% of ARFCOM.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So is this the Rosa Parks of CT AWB?
View Quote

If so then I hope the NRA throws cash at this case.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Registered squirrel?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This isn't about shooting the squirrel.  This is about them seizing his legally-owned rifle and magazines and charging him with a crime.  Apparently everyone here is okay with that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not ok with it. I think it's bullshit.

Am I gassing up the car and packing up my rifles to go defend his 2A rights?  No. Are you?

Everyone who chose not to register accepted the risk that they may become the test case for this absurd law. This poor fellow just happened to be the one, and apparently (barring more info not contained in the article), he brought it on himself with some reckless behavior that brought the man to his doorstep.

Hopefully, it ends appropriately and allows some court to strike down the law. But that will be a long process and his life won't be much fun in the meantime.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is about them seizing his legally-owned rifle and magazines and charging him with a crime.  Apparently everyone here is okay with that.  
View Quote

How would you feel if he'd shot both of the cops in the face?

We can talk all we want about not complying, but the last step of not complying is forcing people to stop making you comply by hurting or killing them. We're all law-abiding people, it's a hell of a long walk for us to get from "This law is bullshit" to "I'm going to shoot that cop."
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:30:22 AM EDT
[#9]
My baby squirrel didn't do nuffin'

ETA:  Did this guy willingly "not comply" or was he just ignorant of the law?  I"m voting the latter.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We can talk all we want about not complying, but the last step of not complying is forcing people to stop making you comply by hurting or killing them. We're all law-abiding people, it's a hell of a long walk for us to get from "This law is bullshit" to "I'm going to shoot that cop."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is about them seizing his legally-owned rifle and magazines and charging him with a crime.  Apparently everyone here is okay with that.  

Agreed, but the attitude of most people here appears to be:  "He shot inside of city limits.  Therefore, zero fucks given about his constitutional rights."
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Agreed, but the attitude of most people here appears to be:  "He shot inside of city limits.  Therefore, zero fucks given about his constitutional rights."
View Quote

I think you're extrapolating too much, or maybe reading too much into people who are talking about the wisdom of the original act. I think they're saying it is unwise to shoot inside city limits if you intend to avoid the attention of the police (say, if you're breaking the law by owning illegal guns).

Saying that it is unwise to walk alone in the park where the creepers hang out at night is not the same as saying it's your fault if you get stabbed by a creeper at night in the park.

If the article and the police are telling the truth, this guy did something unwise that led to much more serious consequences because of a shitty law we all oppose, but that doesn't make his original action wise.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#12]
So this idiot discharged inside city limits, shot a squirrel (which cab be illegal in some areas) and then is surprised that they arrested him for his weapon not being registered among many other charges.

Reminds me of the people who are wanted but end up being caught because they were speeding excessively or blew through a stop sign.

Even if they can't throw the AW charges at him, a discharge charge will stick pretty well, registered or not.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  According to GD:

"You're complying with a law that would otherwise make you a felon and have you flush all your gun rights forever?" = Sheep

"Shooting a gun in your backyard" = Prepare your anus
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe because he broke the law?  Peoples reactions may differ if he had done nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sounds like he was shooting in the burbs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

What crime was committed?

Sounds like he was shooting in the burbs.

Google earth shows his house surrounded by other houses very close by.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#16]
You know, if I had some unregistered shit under my bed or in the back of the closet, I wouldn't be shooting anything off my back porch.

Sadly, this is the new reality for CT residents.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They don't say that's what he used, only that they "found" an "assault weapon" in his possession.  Although, based on CT's legal definition, an "assault weapon" could be a Ruger 10/22 center fire rifle or a 10/22 obtained after a certain date in a folding Butler Creek stock (semi-automatic, accepts detachable magazines and has two one "bad" features - e.g. any one of folding stock and pistol grip, etc.).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did he really use a 5.56mm rifle to shoot a squirrel inside city limits?!?  

They don't say that's what he used, only that they "found" an "assault weapon" in his possession.  Although, based on CT's legal definition, an "assault weapon" could be a Ruger 10/22 center fire rifle or a 10/22 obtained after a certain date in a folding Butler Creek stock (semi-automatic, accepts detachable magazines and has two one "bad" features - e.g. any one of folding stock and pistol grip, etc.).

FTFY - The law changed evil feature count from 2 to 1.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Maybe because he broke the law?  Peoples reactions may differ if he had done nothing wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What level of law breaking on the non AWB would be minor enough to get you pissed about the violation of his 2A rights?

Smoking pot?  Speeding?  Jaywalking?

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:45:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I would have loaned him my ASSAULT BB GUN.  It holds about 50 rounds and is a lot quieter for squirrel hunting.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yep.  According to GD:

"You're complying with a law that would otherwise make you a felon and have you flush all your gun rights forever?" = Sheep

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  According to GD:

Tell you what... try this experiment.

Walk through a crocodile pit on your tip toes and quietly sneak past all the sleeping crocodiles.

now..

Walk through a crocodile pit with tap shoes on, covered in blood, and make sure that you have loud music playing, and bells hanging from you.

Guess which scenario is going to definitely end up being bad for you?  Both scenarios have the same subjects, both can have the same result, but one is drawing attention to yourself guaranteeing failure  and the other is keeping quiet with reasonable expectation of success.

The thing I've always been told is that when you are the squeakiest wheel, you get the lube first and this would be no exception.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But he and many others are breaking the law by not registering said "assault" weapons.   So these same people should STFU then if someone gets busted just for a violation of non-registration because well...they did something wrong and broke the law.....right?  Just like discharging a firearm in city limits is illegal, so are "assault" weapons.  If you state otherwise the above argument in red I will label as "hypocritical"  

By the way, I think the registration shit is stupid and non-constitutional. I also believe an old dude shooting a squirrel in his backyard is pretty fucking harmless, but yes probably not legal if in city limits.  When did this country devolve into being such a bunch of pussies.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:50:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Removing the reason why this confrontation started and focusing on the illegal weapons seizure.....

None of us agree with that law or the fact that his 2A rights were trampled on.

BUT WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE US DO ABOUT IT OP?

You seem to think that everyone here doesn't care and you do. So what are you doing that we aren't?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your all fired up . Go there and do something .
Get up there and help him .
Report back your results .
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Sucks to be him. A good friend of mine told me long ago, "Never break more than one law at a time". As in, if you drank a few beers, don't run any lights....
I am wholeheartedly behind the efforts to overturn Cts bullshit bans, but this guy should have known better.
Hopefully, he's got deep pockets, gets a good lawyer, and gets the laws repealed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:19:04 PM EDT
[#25]
wow, didn't take long for us to start eating our own here.

'dude killed a squirrel in city limits, fuck him'

REALLY?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Who here said "Fuck him"?  Shooting a squirrel in your backyard in a gun unfriendly state is ringing a dinner bell for JBTs and, if you're in a densely populated area, unsafe.  So it's dumb, which means he either set himself up to be a test case or he's really stupid.  Doesn't mean I think he should swing for "assault weapon" bullshit.  But who is doing what?  Is there a legal defense set up?  Or shall we just ride in, guns blazing, and bust his ass out of jail?

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:33:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I didn't have time to read through all the posts but HOW THE HELL do they know it wasn't registered? CT isn't through all the paperwork including mine....
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Who here said "Fuck him"?  Shooting a squirrel in your backyard in a gun unfriendly state is ringing a dinner bell for JBTs and, if you're in a densely populated area, unsafe.  So it's dumb, which means he either set himself up to be a test case or he's really stupid.  Doesn't mean I think he should swing for "assault weapon" bullshit.  But who is doing what?  Is there a legal defense set up?  Or shall we just ride in, guns blazing, and bust his ass out of jail?

View Quote

I'm in for either option.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I question how do they know if it was registered or not.
Most of the forms aren't even back yet from the state.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
FIRST ARREST? Connecticut Man Faces Charges For Unregistered “Assault Rifle,” Standard Capacity Magazines

Is it happening?

ETA: For TL;DR crowd:  65 year-old guy shoots a squirrel in his back yard.  JBTs show up, search his house, find "large capacity" mags and an "unregistered assault rifle."  Charge him with violating new AWB.
View Quote

Thats less than a mile from my current home and One block from my old home. If he was shooting in that area he's stupid. The houses are no more than 100 feet apart. If he's on the marsh side its still stupid because everyone and their brother would have heard it. And the MPD is not far removed from the SS IMHO. That Dept is hardcore. Hell one time I shot a potato gun off when I lived over there and within 5 min Patrol Cars were all over looking. And this was in 1998. Now? They'd probably roll a  tank if they had one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The thing I've always been told is that when you are the squeakiest wheel, you get the lube first and this would be no exception.
View Quote

Yeah dude, I get it.  I'm making the point  that owning a firearm the state knows you purchased and not registering it isn't much smarter, but few had sympathy for that position.

Yes, you've got to be more careful if you possess unregistered AWs here in CT, but I'll bet this guy had no idea he owned an illegal gun (could have been a .22 pistol with a threaded barrel, etc.)

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:55:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Fucking commies.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#33]
It seems stupid to discharge a firearm in a tight neighborhood like that.  Houses look like they're 20~30ft apart.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It seems stupid to discharge a firearm in a tight neighborhood like that.  Houses look like they're 20~30ft apart.  
View Quote

So you're anti-2nd amendment?

(am I doing it right?)
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Surrounding states militias need to get involved like in NV.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

(am I doing it right?)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

(am I doing it right?)

I see what you did there.  

CT's ban was stupid.  But's it's just as stupid to blast squirrels in a crowded neighborhood.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

CT's ban was stupid.  But's it's just as stupid to blast squirrels in a crowded neighborhood.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(am I doing it right?)

Supreme Court cases do not occur because the defendant is a choir boy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#38]
What I'd like to know is, did they walk up and find him with the "assault rifle"

or,

Did they walk up and find him with a bolt action 22 and decide that was good enough reason to toss the entire house?

Because that's a big difference IMO.  And if the later, it's pretty damn Stasi like.
"We stopped you going 50 in a 35 sir, we'll need to be searching your house now."

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
wow, didn't take long for us to start eating our own here.

'dude killed a squirrel in city limits, fuck him'

REALLY?
View Quote

You have a point.....we really should be out by this guys side regardless of him breaking the law by shooting at a squirrel, yes it was a dumb move but he is the first of the arrest of this AW ban and if everyone feels as strongly as they say they do this guy shouldn't just get thrown under the bus. I'm sure a lot of you didnt  register your "AW" as an FU to the CT govt but by hiding anonymously its not helping our cause because they still know we are some what afraid of the consequences of getting caught. I think this may be a chance to take a stand like Nevada
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:22:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sucks to be him. A good friend of mine told me long ago, "Never break more than one law at a time". As in, if you drank a few beers, don't run any lights....
I am wholeheartedly behind the efforts to overturn Cts bullshit bans, but this guy should have known better.
Hopefully, he's got deep pockets, gets a good lawyer, and gets the laws repealed.
View Quote

See, that's the bright spot here. There's now someone with standing to make an appeal constitutional grounds.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:39:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ya mean like NY, and RI?  Don't hold your breath.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Police knock on door

Sir, have you been shooting a firearm in your back yard?

Me? Nope.

Can we come in and have a look around?

Nope.

We'll get a warrant if we have to.

Good, that should give my lawyer time to get here.

Would a conversation like this not have at least bought him some time to "properly dispose" his allegedly illegal  stuff?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I didn't have time to read through all the posts but HOW THE HELL do they know it wasn't registered? CT isn't through all the paperwork including mine....
View Quote

Your (registration) papers, Citizen?

No papers?  ... "Come with us."
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Did he really use a 5.56mm rifle to shoot a squirrel inside city limits?!?  What did he think would happen.

To me the first rule of ignoring a law is to NOT invite the man into your life....I guess I am just weird that way

ETA: This is where a suppressed 22LR is needed.  I really should get on that sooner rather than later.
View Quote

This.  Rather than the "evil suppressor" I'd go with a high power air rifle like a Gamo or Beeman break action.  Technically it's not a firearm.  Cops can go fuck themselves without a warrant.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:50:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I wonder if he'll challenge it on 2A grounds.
View Quote

I hope he does, and that it runs up the chain of courts, so they can find that law unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
WTF?

View Quote

Their state, their rules.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Careful. I was at the last Hartford rally. I was surrounded by others from RI, and NY. I'd have zero problem going back, were it warranted.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#50]
God, I feel sorry for you people. Get the hell out of there.........
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top