Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

FPNI
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing that a regular civilian can't own.

FPNI

It's funny how that whole FPNI thing works isn't it? Oh and just for the record, FPNI!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:32:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

To be more specific, nothing that a regular civilian can't acquire that didn't have to be on a registry before 1986.

Basically, if I can buy it on a 4473, cops can have it too, otherwise, they should not.

Just because I might be able to legally buy a registered M-16 for $30K, doesn't mean LE should get to buy one for $1000. (or whatever real mfg cost is)
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:34:31 AM EDT
[#3]
A winning smile and a can-do attitude!!  
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

FPNI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI

This.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Oh and the kicker for NFA weapons would be if the sheriff doesn't sign off on NFA weapons for civilians he isn't able to get ones for his people.
View Quote

My Sheriff got rid of our FA M14s and MP5s. FA is rarely, if ever, needed in LE as well as the increased ammo/training cost and liability issues.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nothing at all.

Why help the enemy?
View Quote

The AVERAGE working cop is not the enemy.

The enemy is generally further up the chain of command.

(Yes there are a few exceptions)
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing at all.

Why help the enemy?

Don't take the bait.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Whatever is legal for the average citizen.
View Quote

Should have put this as an option.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm more concerned about cost than what class of weapons they use. Milsurp guns are fine, if not more desirable, due to cost. Pretty much anything that's not going to make my taxes go sky high. The only real reservation I have is making sure they get enough range time and ammo to be effective with their weapons. I've seen too many pictures of LE carrying the latest and greatest with optics or mags mounted backwards.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#10]
What ever is legal in the state they are in for the serfs .  If your state has a 5 round magazine limit then you get 5 rounds
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Don't take the bait.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing at all.

Why help the enemy?

Don't take the bait.  

You think Cops are out there to protect and serve?  More like violate your natural rights and collect a pension.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI, this
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

My Sheriff got rid of our FA M14s and MP5s. FA is rarely, if ever, needed in LE as well as the increased ammo/training cost and liability issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh and the kicker for NFA weapons would be if the sheriff doesn't sign off on NFA weapons for civilians he isn't able to get ones for his people.

SBRs
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

FPNI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI

First Three Posts Nail It!

I would have voted machine guns, but not until I can easily own one too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Whatever citizens can own.
If a cop wants to carry his RDIAS on patrol, then full auto is fine. Otherwise, no dept issued M4s etc.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#17]
I think most police officers would be adequately armed with a 38 revolver in their holster and a pump 12 gauge in the car.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You think Cops are out there to protect and serve? More like violate your natural rights and collect a pension.
View Quote

Nah, just collect the pension. I would have had zero contact with the public if I could have arranged it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think most police officers would be adequately armed with a 38 revolver in their holster and a pump 12 gauge in the car.
View Quote

More than I had.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:51:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Whatever they need, but I should be able to own whatever they do.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I want to say gladius, but mostly this:

Also police shouldn't be permitted to wear masks except for when needed for physical safety.  i.e., riot gear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Also police shouldn't be permitted to wear masks except for when needed for physical safety.  i.e., riot gear.

Yep.  Unless you're undercover, masks only serve to muddle liability/personal accountability if there's a screwup.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Whistles and sticks.  They should also pay for their fuel they so unashamedly waste.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

SBRs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SBRs

We have SBRs for our SWAT team, but semi-auto.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:07:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yep.  Unless you're undercover, masks only serve to muddle liability/personal accountability if there's a screwup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Undercover wear masks?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#25]
A pen and a pad of paper so they can hand out stern letters.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Based on this thread

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1649642_Why_British_Police_do_not_carry_firearms.html
View Quote

Sling shots and BB guns

jk jk I think they should be allowed anything a citizen is allowed to have.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

+1

Because their civilians

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Undercover wear masks?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Undercover wear masks?

Yes, if they partake in obvious police action.  Say an undercover guy has been hanging out with a gang, and he later goes in on the raid of the gang's hangout.  He'll wear a mask.

I don't think they should be allowed to wear masks though.  Just don't put them in the raiding party.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Undercover wear masks?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Undercover wear masks?

I think he's talking about normally undercover cops participating in a bust that wear masks so as not to reveal their identities to the people they're arresting.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Rifles, shotguns, pistols.  Maybe something a little heavier for barricaded suspects, but no select fire weps.

Actually, I don't even really care about the weps so much as the mindset.  I don't think cammies, Level IV body armor, armored helmets are necessary and go a LOT towards creating a sense of militarization.

Oh yeah, no surplus military vehicles like MRAPs or MAT-Vs, just police-specific armored vehicles.
View Quote

Level IV armor is nice when the guy might have 30-06 AP from the gun show in his Garand. NO issue with protective equipment. MRAPs? No issue.... your solution is to spend MOAR tax dollars buying NEW armored vehicles instead of simply re-tasking what are effectively FREE vehicles? YOU wanna pay the extra taxes? No problem with utility uniforms of whatever shade or pattern. Easier to move in. Helmets are good for preventing HEAD INJURIES. Thrown bottles, sticks, baseball bats, even the occasional bullet. Militarization can BENEFIT agencies when facing barricaded suspects. Why? Think about it... are you more likely to surrender your AR and Glock-toting self to guys who are well-equipped and working as a unit, or a bunch of guys with shotguns and six-shooters? Too many sociopaths here -everyone is NOT like you. Lots of REAL criminals around, and they have the same opportunities to gear up as YOU do. I see LOTS of thugs buying anything that looks "tactical" at the gun shows. I see lots of that "tactical" gear on the street, too. Do I believe in restricting the right to own that stuff? Only for convicted felons (they've proven they can't play well with others). Other than that, my only concern is being able to 1+1 what I'm up against. Otherwise, don't expect me to even TRY to effect an arrest or go through the door.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Same thing we are.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Whatever the fuck they want.  No restrictions whatsoever.

They're the ones who need to balance public perception, service to the community, image, etc. and they'll decide what image they want to portray.

If they look like a bunch of shitdicks that just want to play with machineguns and screw people's lives up, then the proper course of action would be for the people to fire their asses and take the toys away.

That's the way it's supposed to work, anyhow.

All this bitching about corrupt police, or militarized police, or whatever...  it's 100% a leadership and organizational cultural issue.  And ALL of that gets controlled purely by elections.  If the people don't care, and they keep voting for shitty leaders, then corrupt and irresponsible police is what you get.

There should be no safeguards to protect voters from the consequences of their own bad decisions.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes, if they partake in obvious police action.  Say an undercover guy has been hanging out with a gang, and he later goes in on the raid of the gang's hangout.  He'll wear a mask.

I don't think they should be allowed to wear masks though.  Just don't put them in the raiding party.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Undercover wear masks?

Very few LE are "undercover". Most are plainclothes. SWAT wear nomex balaclavas (mine does) for protection from fire and glass. Port/cover teams face flashbangs and glass hazards at close range.

Yes, there is an intimidation and deterrent factor in covering teams faces, that's the point.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:21:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Well said.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Equipment isn't the problem with LE malfeasance any more than the 2nd Amendment is the cause for violent crime in the US.

The "problems" stem from the employment of this stuff, not the stuff itself.  

The only potential trouble I see with all the "military-type" equipment is that might work to attract the sort of people to the LE field that just want to kick in doors and play with cool toys.... and I don't think that's the type of people that need to be doing the job.

Well said.

I'll second that. Pay enough to attract the good-quality guys with an interest in the community -you know, family, kids in school, able to afford a house, same kind of guy that businesses try to hire into management. Smart, educated.... oh, wait, we don't want to pay that much. We'll hire the power-tripping thug, then complain about quality of service while the good cops who can barely make it on their checks tell us EXACTLY what's wrong.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Semi autos and handguns.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#39]

I'll second that. Pay enough to attract the good-quality guys with an interest in the community -you know, family, kids in school, able to afford a house, same kind of guy that businesses try to hire into management. Smart, educated.... oh, wait, we don't want to pay that much. We'll hire the power-tripping thug, then complain about quality of service while the good cops who can barely make it on their checks tell us EXACTLY what's wrong.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Nah, just collect the pension. I would have had zero contact with the public if I could have arranged it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You think Cops are out there to protect and serve? More like violate your natural rights and collect a pension.

Oh, if only. Having to deal with the public is what ruined that job.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Like the Bobbies in London.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#42]
A Police Positive with one 158 gr. LRN in the cargo pocket of his BDU pants.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:

+1

This.
I always love the people who complain about their local cops who they pay $11/hour.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#44]
They should be equipped with whatever is legal for the rest of the citizens in their jurisdiction to own.  And personally responsible for every round fired.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Undercover wear masks?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Undercover wear masks?

Only on Halloween.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This.
I always love the people who complain about their local cops who they pay $11/hour.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

This.

It's the primary reason I abandoned it as a possible career. The pay is shit. There are exceptions, but it's always in agencies I have less than no desire to work in, or they're too far of a commute from a town I would actually live in.

I'm all about jacking the salaries WAY up, and paying for it. I'm convinced it'll attract better candidates.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#47]
F3PNI.

I didn't vote because of not having that option.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed but I would add ...without paying the bullshit NFA tax.  Get rid of the tax, let LEOs have SBR, SBS, etc...

Edit:  I was beat, several times.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#49]
the weapons they have isn't the problem, I say let them use whatever they want, even man pads, drones and such..but put a stop to QI and make them legally/criminally responsible for every single thing they do while on the clock...everything...this would stop 99% of the issues we the public have with their current performance................
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#50]
I chose "military weapons" just to fuck the poll up.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top