Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
(As a corollary to the 'would you split if she got fat' thread.)

We've been together eighteen years; raised our collective seven kids; we're in our fifties.

The first ten years alone saw me go through about nine surgeries and chronic pain that made me an asshole to everybody. My wife was there for every doctor appointment, nursed me through after every surgery. Just had another in March - she was there for that one as well.

She was slender and had an ass like Siamesed apples when we met, and always took good care of herself. Until a year ago.

She has a bulged C5-6 disc, aftereffect of an injury when she was eighteen. She just rolled over in bed one morning last July and went into spasm that's never really stopped; her left arm is atrophying quickly, with a burning stripe all the way down into her thumb and index finger. Batteries of Prednisone helped some, but not much, over the months. She aggravated the problem back in March, and is worse now.

Between the steroids and reduction in activity, she's about sixty pounds overweight. This is especially alarming given that both of her parents died from diabetes-related health issues; she had gestational diabetes during a pregnancy.

my wife had a bulging c5-c6 6 years ago had it removed. The only thing it has done is stabilize her neck. Prior to that she was a vibrant ginger who had been a ballerina. She has put on weight doesnt like it cause she had always enjoyed exercise. Its agony watching someone who had been so active turn into what she has but considering she has been my wife for the last 25 years.

Trying to get the surgeon's office to interface with the insurance company while she's on painkillers (that don't) is wearing her out. I took the day off work today, just to help her with the endless, fruitless phone calls and emails. The surgery is common and simple, and she needs the relief badly.

But so do I. I'm standing here helplessly, watching her life slip away in endless pain and sorrow.

She's never gonna stop traffic in a bikini again, and nobody's gonna ask me to pose for a fundraiser calendar again, either. We got old, see. Knew it was gonna happen.

She is no longer physically attractive. An acquaintance we had not seen for a couple years remarked that she had really "let herself go"; I had to walk away, didn't know whether to cry or kill.

I sorta get the "let yourself go" thing and all - not sure how the physical appearance can be such a deal-breaker if you've given your life to someone. But this is not that, not at all, and if she ever ends up in a gutter it'll be while I'm holding her hand.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#2]
God be with you; you are good people. I didn't marry my wife for her looks, but for her kindness and decency. She has put up with me for 21 years, and we love each other. Yes, with age her looks have faded...until she smiles. Me, I never had any "looks" and never will. She wanted me anyway.

Now you want good looks, just go Hollywood. Aren't the beautiful people a bunch of daisies? Anyway, the lawyers love 'em.

We aren't them. Remember that and stay sane.

I'll keep you guys in my prayers. Hang in there.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm so sorry for your wife's pain and the horrible ordeal you both are going thru... Hang in there OP, you sound like a trooper!  
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to all who have contributed to the thread.

Heartens us to know others have navigated these shoals.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The effects of a debilitating injury isn't really "letting yourself go". Should've smacked that guy.

Beyond the fact that it's from an injury, that's something that polite people just don't say.
View Quote

This

My wife was stunning when I met her.
After three kids, then a back injury, she got...... chubby. Alot.
Well hell, I did too.

A couple years ago, She got the opportunity to get her back worked on.
It worked wonders. She hit the gym, started living healthier.
Now she is gorgeous again.
If I would have ejected when she was large, I'd have missed her beauty now.

Besides, I'd like to think our marriage is based on something other than physical beauty.... Cuz I'm an ugly SOB

BTW. Since she is living healthy, I am too. I've never felt better.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay....after on two cell phones and the laptop all day long...we are told insurer will be sending confirmation of coverage to surgeon within next 72 hrs.

I'm nearly afraid to hope this is getting settled, but she could get surgery as soon as a week from Friday if this comes together.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Okay....after on two cell phones and the laptop all day long...we are told insurer will be sending confirmation of coverage to surgeon within next 72 hrs.

I'm nearly afraid to hope this is getting settled, but she could get surgery as soon as a week from Friday if this comes together.
View Quote

Sweet, I hope it works out for you two!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#9]
great news OP...pray all goes aas planned..
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
wheres that thread.  id love to fuck my fat wife if she got fat. what a dick.

View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1772388_Would_you_leave_your_wife_if_she_let_herself_go_.html
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm so sorry for your wife's pain and the horrible ordeal you both are going thru... Hang in there OP, you sound like a trooper!  
View Quote

Thanks and all, but the wife is the hero here.
I made at least 20 phone calls, even more emails today...and I am rung like a bad bell.
She's been in pain and doped up for the last three weeks, trying to get the insurance to come to heel. Every day's been like this for her.

Turns out some important emails came from the doc's appointment girl - she's trying to straighten this out on her end - and they went to wife's spam folder.
Wife had thought appt girl was dropping the ball....yeah, not so much.

Appreciate everyone's prayers, keep them coming please.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, sooooo....after a hellish and stressful day of calls and runarounds, my wife is more at peace now than she has been in months.

I'm just really hoping this isn't a false hope. We'll get her the surgery if we gotta sell the damned house, but I really want her to get some non-pharmaceutical relief.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Best of luck.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:09:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We've been together eighteen years; raised our collective seven kids; we're in our fifties.

The first ten years alone saw me go through about nine surgeries and chronic pain that made me an asshole to everybody. My wife was there for every doctor appointment, nursed me through after every surgery. Just had another in March - she was there for that one as well.

She was slender and had an ass like Siamesed apples when we met, and always took good care of herself. Until a year ago.

She has a bulged C5-6 disc, aftereffect of an injury when she was eighteen. She just rolled over in bed one morning last July and went into spasm that's never really stopped; her left arm is atrophying quickly, with a burning stripe all the way down into her thumb and index finger. Batteries of Prednisone helped some, but not much, over the months. She aggravated the problem back in March, and is worse now.

Between the steroids and reduction in activity, she's about sixty pounds overweight. This is especially alarming given that both of her parents died from diabetes-related health issues; she had gestational diabetes during a pregnancy.

Trying to get the surgeon's office to interface with the insurance company while she's on painkillers (that don't) is wearing her out. I took the day off work today, just to help her with the endless, fruitless phone calls and emails. The surgery is common and simple, and she needs the relief badly.Yo

But so do I. I'm standing here helplessly, watching her life slip away in endless pain and sorrow.

She's never gonna stop traffic in a bikini again, and nobody's gonna ask me to pose for a fundraiser calendar again, either. We got old, see. Knew it was gonna happen.

She is no longer physically attractive. An acquaintance we had not seen for a couple years remarked that she had really "let herself go"; I had to walk away, didn't know whether to cry or kill.

I sorta get the "let yourself go" thing and all - not sure how the physical appearance can be such a deal-breaker if you've given your life to someone. But this is not that, not at all, and if she ever ends up in a gutter it'll be while I'm holding her hand.
View Quote

You 2 will be in my prayers.  
Been there, done that.  Know the hurt all too well.
May God hold you both in the palm of his hand.

Much more ... that I just don't know how to say!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:12:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Many times...there is always more to the story than we know.
God bless OP...
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:13:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Best of luck.
View Quote

Thanks so much.

I just gotta get up there to shoot some Chinee rifles n such.

I assure you the HouseWench is in good hands here.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:36:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice sigline.

Glad to hear that insurance is getting off their ass and doing the right thing.  I'm praying for you to get the call that the letter has shown up and that the surgeon gets the go ahead.
I didn't even click on the 'Would you leave your wife..' thread, last time I was in one of those, I got a warning.   I don't like sharing oxygen with shallow people.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:41:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Check with your wife's surgeons....see if they can install the  coflex Interlaminar stabilizer http://www.paradigmspine.com/  if they can't do your research and find one who can...these little things work miracles, I've got 2 of em...

My surgeon is one of the top 100 in the world and his assistant is right up there with him, they have people flying in from all around the world to have him cut them open and fix them while inserting these little devices. So much better than the standard fusion...
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:08:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Trying to get the surgeon's office to interface with the insurance company while she's on painkillers (that don't) is wearing her out. I took the day off work today, just to help her with the endless, fruitless phone calls and emails. The surgery is common and simple, and she needs the relief badly.

View Quote

You're a damned good man! Me and my wife celebrate our 23rd anniversary August 28th and are still deeply in love. Neither of us look like our wedding photo and so frigging what? We all age. It's a fact of life that many of the children here have no understanding of, especially this latest generation.
Some of us take pour vows before God and our families seriously.

Prayers sent for your and your wife's health to improve. You are lucky to have each other.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:29:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Folks - I really appreciate the support you've all shown.

But this thread was kind of a selfish move for me. I needed to vent this, because I got pissed that someone would just split from their vows over fat.

I know there's more to it than just that, but I needed to know there's more people out there that see commitment as paramount. While a nice ass and perky boobage is pretty bitchin', those aren't what changed my dressings and kept me fed after surgeries.
View Quote

Don't sweat it, you are exactly right. Most people suck and it's getting worse.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:21:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Excellent.  Keep us posted of her progress.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:56:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
if she ever ends up in a gutter it'll be while I'm holding her hand.
View Quote

...That is love.

God bless you and your wife, and I pray her health can improve.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#25]

OP, something to consider is a "TENS" unit.  (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation
About the size of a cell phone, electrode pads are placed on the patient, and the unit provides electrical stimulation to the nerves.

Your wife would wear this unit through out the day, I had a supervisor who used one, claimed it helped his back pain....I never knew his level of injury / pain severity.

I read about them back in the '80's.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Best of luck with the insurance company and I hope the surgery fixes your wife's back. My wife was by my side through chemo, radiation, surgery, and more chemo. There is nothing that would keep me from being there for her.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I share your pain OP, I love my wife more than anything. As a result of many many abdominal surgeries the poor woman had a total hysterectomy at 25. Years of follow up surgery has left her a slave to meds. Some type of morphine twice a day and Oxy as needed which seems to be everyday. It's led to several suicide attempts, one very close to succeeding. Not to mention the alcoholism and the massive depression. Over thirty years together a d this has been going on since she was 12. I'm with you OP. I am helpless to help her. I will always be here for her and sadly I will probably out live her. I would trade my soul if it would heal her.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You are a good man and Husband. You made a vow and you're keeping it. Fuck what others say.

A lot of people just don't get it, wun.

Anyone who makes a comment like that should be bitch slapped, flapping their jaw without knowing all the circumstances.

My wife is suffering from MS and is slowly going downhill, but is somewhat stable. It's frustrating for her when she can't keep up, or when her right side is numb and acting up. Being outside in the heat only makes things worse. We're outdoor people. Snowmobiles, ATVs, Motorcycles, camping, etc. Sometimes she feels like she is holding up my fun and/or holding everyone up if we are in a group, but she knows I'll always wait for her no matter what.

"For better or worse" means just that. Too many people are shallow, selfish douchebags only concerned with appearances. I'm relatively confident that some of the members here who complain about their wives "letting themselves go" are no fucking Adonis themselves.
View Quote

Good Man OP!  Praying for your wife & you.. & IM inbound
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#29]
wunbadwheel, Prayer sent.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#30]
After living through a C6-C7 injury, I can relate to what your wife is going through.  I don't know what I would have done regarding the loudmouth making comments about your wife, but I'm certain that he would know that he crossed a line, and it would be wise to give me a wide berth in the future.

Hopefully your wife will have an easy recovery post surgery.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:03:52 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, you're a good guy and I wish you and your wife all the best.

I sincerely hope she gets effective help and gets better.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You're a good man - a real man.
View Quote

This about sums it up. Good luck to you guys.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You are a good man and Husband. You made a vow and you're keeping it. Fuck what others say.

A lot of people just don't get it, wun.

Anyone who makes a comment like that should be bitch slapped, flapping their jaw without knowing all the circumstances.

My wife is suffering from MS and is slowly going downhill, but is somewhat stable. It's frustrating for her when she can't keep up, or when her right side is numb and acting up. Being outside in the heat only makes things worse. We're outdoor people. Snowmobiles, ATVs, Motorcycles, camping, etc. Sometimes she feels like she is holding up my fun and/or holding everyone up if we are in a group, but she knows I'll always wait for her no matter what.

"For better or worse" means just that. Too many people are shallow, selfish douchebags only concerned with appearances. I'm relatively confident that some of the members here who complain about their wives "letting themselves go" are no fucking Adonis themselves.
View Quote

That's right. I've always been sort of a "true believer" in most vows, constitution included etc. Nail was hit on the head when referring to shallow douchebags.
I didn't enter into this union lightly, nor do I plan on breaking a vow. OP & trashy biker y'all both sound like great men, no homo.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

A younger wunbadweel would have likely done something stupid. I'm better than I used to be, largely because my wife has made me better.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
An acquaintance we had not seen for a couple years remarked that she had really "let herself go"; I had to walk away, didn't know whether to cry or kill.

It'd be a long damn time till I saw them again, too, after a good verbal dress down.

A younger wunbadweel would have likely done something stupid. I'm better than I used to be, largely because my wife has made me better.

Did someone actually say that?      I can't picture the scenario or the context that would lead to that comment.  

I Hope she gets better.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:47:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

OP, something to consider is a "TENS" unit.  (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation
About the size of a cell phone, electrode pads are placed on the patient, and the unit provides electrical stimulation to the nerves.

Your wife would wear this unit through out the day, I had a supervisor who used one, claimed it helped his back pain....I never knew his level of injury / pain severity.

I read about them back in the '80's.
View Quote

I actually have an implanted neurostimulator in my hip for the RSD nerve damage in my foot. They work well; for me, a sanity/marriage/life saver.

Her issue is right within the spinal cord channel itself; safer to remove the damaged piece of disc than any implantation.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#36]
OP, reading posts like this one is a needed breath of fresh air on this site. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Did someone actually say that?      I can't picture the scenario or the context that would lead to that comment.  

I Hope she gets better.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
An acquaintance we had not seen for a couple years remarked that she had really "let herself go"; I had to walk away, didn't know whether to cry or kill.

It'd be a long damn time till I saw them again, too, after a good verbal dress down.

I Hope she gets better.  

Yes, unfortunately, it happened. The wife was out of earshot....or maybe she would've whipped his ass.

The guy's kind of a friend of a friend; we've done a little shooting together but that's about all. He was TDY to TX IIRC for work for about the last 18 mos., and we ran into him at the supermarket.

He asked how the wife was; he didn't recognize her standing 20 feet away, possibly due to the weight gain. I pointed her out, and he said, "Wow, didn't see her...she's kinda letting herself go?"

I just walked away, joined my wife and continued shopping. Like I said, didn't know whether to shit, cry or shoot. Obviously, it isn't something I'd share with her.

If y'all will indulge me, let's please talk about anything else. Douchebag's gonna douchebag.

She's having a decent day today pain-wise, though kind of hard to really tell over the phone. The progress - hope it's progress - we made yesterday with the surgeon and insurance is something of a relief for us both.

Still, I don't want her to get her hopes up too high to have them crushed by another delay. The drain upon her is obvious and heartbreaking.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Could you get the surgery done overseas and just pay out of pocket??
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, but not by this particular surgeon.
We know him, and the facility, from the work they did on me 15 years ago.
The wife pretty much wants him alone to do this, and I cannot blame her.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Your wife is everything and anything a man could want or ever need in a woman. She is the kind of woman that men die for.  You chose wisely.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#41]
We are going through something similar with my wife but its the onset of tremors. The doctors are still running tests. One of the med's she has been put on to help the depression has a very common side affect of weight gain. It was very nice to have my wife back depression is a hell of a existence. She says all of the time I wont lover if she gets fat. She has put on 15 lbs in 6 weeks, its a major stresser for her. Just support her and things will work out great. It sucks being in chronic pain as you well know.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good news all-in-all.

PLEASE keep us posted.

A little fervent prayer that day can't hurt.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#43]

I blew out L5/L6, L6/S1 on the job in 2004, fused those three vertebra together in 2005 with not much pain improvement.

I've lost most of my friends over the years because for the cops, its a reminder they are not Superman, shit can turn quickly on the job no matter how good a cop you are.

Other friends, it pains them to see my condition to continue to digress, the Rx effects, seeing me in pain so bad it looks like I'm just pissed off all the time, clenching my teeth from the pain as I try to walk.   Put on about 15-18lbs over my fighting weight.  Two more discs above the fusion site gone to shit now waiting on VA to get me in for two artificial discs ASAP.    

So I look at the friends who have stuck around the past ten years, and you know who your real friends are, forgive the rest and try to get on the best you can until the Good Lord calls you home.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Your wife is everything and anything a man could want or ever need in a woman. She is the kind of woman that men die for.  You chose wisely.  
View Quote

Truth be told: she isn't, actually.

She's as opinionated as a person can be, succumbs to visceral response instead of thinking stuff through.
When we first met, she could not allow another human being to finish a spoken sentence. Just. Could. Not.
She loves too much - overlooks the errata and risk of heartbreak too easily - and compensates by holding grudges to the grave.

She didn't know she loved lamb or beef tongue until we met. Now she won't even share.
She would not eat corned beef hash if otherwise deprived of food.
Her third glass of wine beckons drama/tragedy.
She likes a Glock trigger better than that of a 1911.
She cannot be compelled to check the oil or maintain fuel in her own vehicle that nonetheless gets washed every week.

She puts different-shaped pillows on the bed, and has to have them arranged just so.
Wall anchors are her anathema; when moving out of a house, it appears a drug-fueled porcupine orgy took place, based upon the nail holes in the walls.

Garden hoses must be left across the lawn after use, to leave a big blanched stripe for all to see.
She has no "side" of a closet, bed, couch or garage. Her part is where she decides.

All of the above are a gnat's pissing into the ocean of personality flaws and undesirable traits I have, myself.
So is she the perfect icon of feminine pulchritude and desirability? Hell no, she ain't.

She's just orders of magnitude better than I've ever hoped, or deserved, for myself.

But the part about me choosing wisely, I'll agree with, no question.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#45]
You sound like a stand up  guy op
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

You're a good man - a real man.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#47]
If you have the means and option, go for a disk replacement rather than fusion. Fusion just kicks the can down the road, putting more strain on the adjoining disks. At least at the cervical area, it's not as dicey as lower back but a replacement is the better option.

That said, even in pain and being inactive, there's nothing stopping someone from eating right and adjusting portions - work with your wife to do this, it's important...especially during recovery from disk issues. Diet is important, so is being at an ideal weight. It's part of caring for each other. It's part of recovery, and should be part of her getting better.

I've been through this with my back and my wife too, i've been down this road and there's light at the end you just do what it takes.

I admire your devotion to your wife, and we love them through the thick and thin.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#48]
wunbadweel - you've made this famous song obsolete.

Stay the course.

"Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend"

The French are glad to die for love.
They delight in fighting duels
But I prefer a man who lives
And gives expensive jewels.
A kiss on the hand
May be quite continental,
But diamonds are a girl's best friend.

A kiss may be grand
But it won't pay the rental
On your humble flat
Or help you at the automat.

Men grow cold
As girls grow old,
And we all lose our charms in the end.

But square-cut or pear-shaped,
These rocks don't lose their shape.
Diamonds are a girl's best friend.

Tiffany's!
Cartier!
Black Starr!
Frost Gormham!
Talk to me Harry Winston.
Tell me all about it!

There may come a time
When a lass needs a lawyer,

There may come a time
When a hard-boiled employer
Thinks you're awful nice,
But get that ice or else no dice.

He's your guy
When stocks are high,
But beware when they start to descend.

It's then that those louses
Go back to their spouses.
Diamonds are a girl's best friend.

I've heard of affairs
That are strictly platonic,

And I think affairs
That you must keep Masonic
Are better bets
If little pets get big baguettes.

Time rolls on,
And youth is gone,
And you can't straighten up when you bend.

But stiff back
Or stiff knees,
You stand straight at Tiffany's.

Diamonds! Diamonds!
I don't mean rhinestones!

Songwriters
Gordon, Martin

Published by
Lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Folks - I really appreciate the support you've all shown.

But this thread was kind of a selfish move for me. I needed to vent this, because I got pissed that someone would just split from their vows over fat.

I know there's more to it than just that, but I needed to know there's more people out there that see commitment as paramount. While a nice ass and perky boobage is pretty bitchin', those aren't what changed my dressings and kept me fed after surgeries.

View Quote
I agree with your views one hundred percent.  You have my respect.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If you have the means and option, go for a disk replacement rather than fusion. Fusion just kicks the can down the road, putting more strain on the adjoining disks. At least at the cervical area, it's not as dicey as lower back but a replacement is the better option.

That said, even in pain and being inactive, there's nothing stopping someone from eating right and adjusting portions - work with your wife to do this, it's important...especially during recovery from disk issues. Diet is important, so is being at an ideal weight. It's part of caring for each other. It's part of recovery, and should be part of her getting better.

I've been through this with my back and my wife too, i've been down this road and there's light at the end you just do what it takes.

I admire your devotion to your wife, and we love them through the thick and thin.

View Quote

Thank you for the insights.

Her disc is bulged/blown out internally, toward the spinal cord channel, and a stringy piece of the disc is putting the pressure/inflammation on a big collector nerve that runs down her whole left shoulder/arm hand. So her neck doesn't hurt, but everything to the left of it is numb, or on fire.

The surgical plan is to remove that stringy part and excise it, and reinforce the disc with cadaver replacement, then a support structure to keep that disc assembly in place.

So not really fusion, and not a total replacement either.
Page / 6
Top Top