Quoted:

Congrats on your d class win!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just got home from my own USPSA match.  

Best ever overall finish plus best ever classifier score, so I'm pretty high on life right now.  

I love that there seems to be more interest in USPSA among Arfcommers.  Everyone should give it a try!  

Winning D class is like winning the special Olympics I heard one guy say to another once.  LOL
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:08:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Best ever overall finish plus best ever classifier score, so I'm pretty high on life right now.  

I love that there seems to be more interest in USPSA among Arfcommers.  Everyone should give it a try!  

High lady, too, buster.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Finished mine up about an hour ago and just got home. I think I did pretty well for being my first time out. The scores will be posted up in a day or two. I forgot about a target on the last stage, so I ended up with 2 mikes on that one.

Overall I definitely got more alphas than I thought I would have, and it wasn't as stressful as I was expecting either. Everybody was super nice and VERY willing to help and offer advice, so that made the experience more enjoyable. The next match is in October and there is another one just after that as a Toys for Tots fundraiser, so I definitely need more ammo ASAP.

One thing that surprised me was the age of everybody. I was by far the youngest shooter, and they seemed pretty exicted that college kids were out shooting USPSA. Apparently it's an old guy sport here.

Another shooter snapped a few pics for me on the last few stages:

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Tactical Turtle!

(Raise your gun to your eyes, don't sink your head to your gun and tense up shoulders.  Be relaxed).
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#8]
late to the conversation, but $0.02 anyhow.  

- tape targets, reset steel.  nothing makes a match drag like people not helping.  at all.
- if there is any doubt whether a target has been scored, don't tape it.  forced re-shoots because of a prematurely pasted target sucks.
- be social.  most people are happy to explain their equipment, or even let you give it a try after the match, etc.
- you need more mags.   like someone said, malfunctions or strategic reloads will leave you one short.   5 on the belt, one in the gun.   don't take mikes on a stage because you ran out of ammo.

good stage breakdown will improve your standings.  more so than all 'A' hits, i promise.  the way i explain it to new shooters is this - "hit factor" is just points per second.  if you can eliminate a reload, or improve a transition and shave off 2, 5, or even 10 seconds off your time, your hit factor will go up immensely.   for example, you're scoring minor, so 5-3-1.     take a simple 8 round stage.   stage points = 40.   if you shoot all 'A' hits in 10 seconds, you've got a HF of 4.0.   if you sacrifice some 'A' hits for 'C' hits, and trim off 3 seconds, say, for a total of 36 points.    now your hit factor went up to 5.14 - the 'C's, even if they're peripheral and just breaking the perforation didn't hurt you.    that isn't to say that you shouldn't strive for 'A' hits, but don't fret the 'C' hits, either.    'D' hits are bad and hurt your score in a fairly significant way, whether you're shooting major/minor.    (this is a crap example because there isn't much you can do to improve 'stage breakdown' on an 8 round stage, but the math is easy and it demonstrates the point... larger/longer field courses are where a good stage plan can help shave seconds off your time..)

on the topic of stage breakdown..  loading from slidelock sucks.  don't try to game a stage right down to the very last round. frequently it leaves no margin for error and the first missed steel or makeup shot tanks your stage plan.  USPSA stages can only require 8 rounds from any one location/view, so use that to your benefit.   also, don't be afraid to load the +1 from a pocket mag to create an advantage.   generally, if you're moving, you should be reloading.  don't do flat-footed/static reloads.  they're stupid and cost you match standing.   don't go into an 8 round array with 3 rounds in the gun.  (this goes back to "buy more mags").     if you CAN pick up an extra target or 2 with the "extra" rounds without impinging on the rest of the stage breakdown/strategy, then that's a smart move.

know what scoring mode you're in - comstock = shots unlimited, virginia = shots limited.    makeup shots are procedurals in virginia, but sometimes they're worth it in the case of a highly probably success.   for example.
you miss a shot.   you get 0 points for the score, and -10 for the miss.  Essentially you've lost 15 points on your total.    you make up a shot - that's 1 procedural (-10), but with an 'A' hit (+5), you're only down by 5, net.  better than -15.
but..  know when to quit digging.   if you tag a no-shoot, that's a no-shoot (-10), a miss (-10).    another shot adds a procedural (-10) and might incur another no-shoot hit (-10).   that's a quick way to zero out a stage, which brings me to my most crushing failure on a stage, ever...

get your hits.   the fastest time ever won't do diddly if you're missing or tagging no-shoots every other shot.   the stage i am thinking of had 4 no shoots flanking 3 metric targets arrayed like NS-T1-NS-T2-NS-T3-NS creating a 'thread the needle' effect.  the headshots would have been the smart option to minimize the impacts of  misses, but i went for it.   all in, misses, NS, procedurals, my score was so far beyond zero that it was laughable.  lesson...  misses aren't a crime, sometimes you've got to go for the safe shots.

if you get more into it to the point where you're competing/competitive, learn the rules.  knowing the rules and what you can/cannot do, how things are supposed to be scored, etc., will help you in the long term.

good luck with your next match.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Finished mine up about an hour ago and just got home. I think I did pretty well for being my first time out. The scores will be posted up in a day or two. I forgot about a target on the last stage, so I ended up with 2 mikes on that one.

Overall I definitely got more alphas than I thought I would have, and it wasn't as stressful as I was expecting either. Everybody was super nice and VERY willing to help and offer advice, so that made the experience more enjoyable. The next match is in October and there is another one just after that as a Toys for Tots fundraiser, so I definitely need more ammo ASAP.

One thing that surprised me was the age of everybody. I was by far the youngest shooter, and they seemed pretty exicted that college kids were out shooting USPSA. Apparently it's an old guy sport here.

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p691/nigelcornwallis/20140920_140037_zpstqqss90p.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p691/nigelcornwallis/20140920_144628_zpslxv3imb2.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p691/nigelcornwallis/20140920_140123_zpssaniyy3v.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I started off like that too.  Not tough to overcome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tactical Turtle!

(Raise your gun to your eyes, don't sink your head to your gun and tense up shoulders.  Be relaxed).

I started off like that too.  Not tough to overcome.

My head actually isn't really lowered down as much as my shoulders are pulled up. I always make a conscious effort to bring the gun up to my level rather than lowering down to it, and that goes for rifles and shotguns as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#12]

He has a red dot 12" over the bore
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Figured you'd say that... loook again.

Go watch videos by jerry miculek, max michel, todd jarret, etc.

And stop turtlin.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Controlled pair.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Good for you, OP.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:53:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Way to go!  The old guy thing is a constant problem.  A lot of shooters are not the most social of creatures and add in the "stigma" of being a gun owner means they don't often talk about what they do at work or invite others out so we only get newbies by accident.

I try to make a conscious effort to invite new shooters of any age out and especially try to get the younger shooters (men and women) involved.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:15:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't shoot the white guy
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:19:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p691/nigelcornwallis/20140920_140037_zpstqqss90p.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p691/nigelcornwallis/20140920_144628_zpslxv3imb2.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p691/nigelcornwallis/20140920_140123_zpssaniyy3v.jpg
View Quote

Relax those shoulders, looks like way too much tension in those pics.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I just got done with my local match today.  I bombed the classifier but did pretty well on the field courses.  I had a camera going so I'll get some videos up later tonight.
View Quote

Post them here if you dont mind
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#23]
How do yall practice shooting quickly and accurately? What kinds of drills can I do at home that will help get better at that? I can shoot quickly, and I can shoot accurately, but when I put the two together, my shots get a little squirrely.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Your muzzle is not allowed to cross any part of an imaginary line line running across your shoulders, at least not when I shot it. To prevent this from happening, you step forward, draw, and step back. It sounds more complicated than it is. In reality, they'll show you how to do it and after a couple of practices, you'll be fine.

The rule exists to prevent the shooter from crossing the crowd with his muzzle when he draws.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell them you're a newb and look for someone to walk you through the scenarios and explain what they're trying to plan.

Range safety is no shit. You're about to learn the IPSC draw. If you don't already know how to do it, tell them and they'll get someone to show you how to draw so that you don't get DQ'd.

If you get DQ's: oops. Remember what you did wrong and move on.

Almost all of the people are there to have fun. They're generally glad to work with an inexperienced shooter. By inexperienced, I mean inexperienced in their game. You'll find a few people who will be happy to show you how it's done.

Most important: Have fun.

How is an IPSC draw different than a "regular" draw? Normally I just pull straight up and push out. Is that kosher?

Your muzzle is not allowed to cross any part of an imaginary line line running across your shoulders, at least not when I shot it. To prevent this from happening, you step forward, draw, and step back. It sounds more complicated than it is. In reality, they'll show you how to do it and after a couple of practices, you'll be fine.

The rule exists to prevent the shooter from crossing the crowd with his muzzle when he draws.
Complete bullshit

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How do yall practice shooting quickly and accurately? What kinds of drills can I do at home that will help get better at that? I can shoot quickly, and I can shoot accurately, but when I put the two together, my shots get a little squirrely.
View Quote

Lots of dry firing and shooting matches. The speed will come. Focus on the front sight & shooting only "A's"
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Complete bullshit  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tell them you're a newb and look for someone to walk you through the scenarios and explain what they're trying to plan.

Range safety is no shit. You're about to learn the IPSC draw. If you don't already know how to do it, tell them and they'll get someone to show you how to draw so that you don't get DQ'd.

If you get DQ's: oops. Remember what you did wrong and move on.

Almost all of the people are there to have fun. They're generally glad to work with an inexperienced shooter. By inexperienced, I mean inexperienced in their game. You'll find a few people who will be happy to show you how it's done.

Most important: Have fun.

How is an IPSC draw different than a "regular" draw? Normally I just pull straight up and push out. Is that kosher?

Complete bullshit  

There was nothing at all like that. You just drew and shot like normal. That's it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Lots of dry firing and shooting matches. The speed will come. Focus on the front sight & shooting only "A's"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What live fire stuff can I do that will help? Is there anything specifc to do or focus on that will help?
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What live fire stuff can I do that will help? Is there anything specifc to do or focus on that will help?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My favorite is the "Bill Drill" & "El Prez". A Steel challenge match will also let you know if you're pushing to much.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Strong hand and weak hand.

There quite a few classifiers that require that, along with mandatory reloads with a transition to weak hand.

Shoot steel matches if your club has them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There quite a few classifiers that require that, along with mandatory reloads with a transition to weak hand.

The classifier at the one I shot was exactly that.

I'm not a member of any clubs. I just shoot on my land.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My favorite is the "Bill Drill" & "El Prez". A Steel challenge match will also let you know if you're pushing to much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were a few steel targets mixed in with the paper, and I felt like I did better on those. I normally shoot steel, so I guess I was just used to that or something. The classifier was a derivation of an el presidente drill, but it involved shooting it once with strong hand and once with weak hand as well. Never tried a bill drill before, so I'll give it a try this week.

The first stage I shot was tough. I had never shot a Texas Star before, so that turned into a quick lesson on shooting a moving target.

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yea I saw that, I just shot that very same one 2 Sundays ago.

You don't have to be a member at most clubs to shoot their weekly matches. Find one with a Friday Night or weekend steel match.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The classifier at the one I shot was exactly that.

I'm not a member of any clubs. I just shoot on my land.

Yea I saw that, I just shot that very same one 2 Sundays ago.

You don't have to be a member at most clubs to shoot their weekly matches. Find one with a Friday Night or weekend steel match.

The only club around that holds matches is this one I shot USPSA at, and they only do it once a month unfortunately. Each week is something different--the other three weeks are steel challenge (except its rimfire only), IDPA, and cowboy action.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The best thing I ever did for my shooting was buying, reading, and applying the Ben Stoeger books AJE linked earlier in this thread.

Seriously, they are the Bible of USPSA shooting.  Amazon.  Go.  Now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:12:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The best thing I ever did for my shooting was buying, reading, and applying the Ben Stoeger books AJE linked earlier in this thread.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will when my new debit card comes back. Screw you, home depot.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure Bens stuff is GOOD! I come from a different era Robbie & Jerry VHS tapes
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

There were a few steel targets mixed in with the paper, and I felt like I did better on those. I normally shoot steel, so I guess I was just used to that or something. The classifier was a derivation of an el presidente drill, but it involved shooting it once with strong hand and once with weak hand as well. Never tried a bill drill before, so I'll give it a try this week.

The first stage I shot was tough. I had never shot a Texas Star before, so that turned into a quick lesson on shooting a moving target.

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p691/nigelcornwallis/Screenshot_2014-09-21-13-15-15_zps3rzxggnx.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p691/nigelcornwallis/Screenshot_2014-09-21-13-15-15_zps3rzxggnx.png

Did the other shooters help you or let you earn your stripes Engage the Star top- bottom , not bottom to top.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Did the other shooters help you or let you earn your stripes Engage the Star top- bottom , not bottom to top.
View Quote

He told me, but as soon as the buzzer went off, I forgot everything he said and just started blasting anything white and metal. I started with the top, then shot the rest in some random order. The last two were swinging like a pendulum, and those took about 8 shots to finish off.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

He told me, but as soon as the buzzer went off, I forgot everything he said and just started blasting anything white and metal. I started with the top, then shot the rest in some random order. The last two were swinging like a pendulum, and those took about 8 shots to finish off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Texas star will teach you a lesson about front sight focus real quick.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

So will the Polish Plate Rack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Texas star will teach you a lesson about front sight focus real quick.

So will the Polish Plate Rack.

When playing MD, I put the T-star in front of the PP-rack
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm jumping into the USPSA world tomorrow morning bright and early. I've never done any organized shooting events before, so this will be a learning experience. Does GD have any nuggets of wisdom to a new guy?
View Quote

ORSA?

Edit:  yep, I was there too. Squad 3 I believe.  Hope you had a good time and that you come back.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

ORSA?

Edit:  yep, I was there too. Squad 3 I believe.  Hope you had a good time and that you come back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm jumping into the USPSA world tomorrow morning bright and early. I've never done any organized shooting events before, so this will be a learning experience. Does GD have any nuggets of wisdom to a new guy?

ORSA?

Yup, I was in Squad 1 with the other new guy (that 7' asian with hair down to his back).

I'll be back next month for the club match and the T4T match as well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#48]
I've shot with a guy named Sturdivant who I think shoots at ORSA.  That guy is a baller.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yup, I was in Squad 1 with the other new guy (that 7' asian with hair down to his back).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ORSA?

Gotcha. I remember seeing that guy in the staging area. Pm me if you guys want to squad up next month.   We should be there given the UT game is away.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:00:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I've shot with a guy named Sturdivant who I think shoots at ORSA.  That guy is a baller.
View Quote

Agreed,  Paul's (sturdivant) a good shooter. I got squaded with him my prior 2 or 3 matches this year.  ORSA has several good shooters at that level.
Page / 81
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top