Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 44
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I've attended the funerals of three fine upstanding officers that I knew and worked with.

Police Officer Jose Lazaro Somohano

Miami-Dade Police Department, Florida

EOW: Thursday, September 13, 2007

Bio & Incident Details

Tour: 4 years

Badge # 4996

Cause: Gunfire

Incident Date: Thursday, September 13, 2007

Weapon: Rifle; AK-47

Suspect: Shot and killed

Police Officer Jose Somohano was shot and killed during a traffic stop.
Officer Somohano and his partner observed a vehicle being driven erratically. When they attempted to stop the vehicle, the driver fled on foot into a house. Officer Somohano and his partner called for back-up, and two officers who were involved in a nearby surveillance operation responded. When the two back-up officers arrived, the suspect opened fire on all four officers through a window in the house. Officer Somohano was shot and killed and the other three officers were wounded.
The suspect was located later that day in an apartment complex by members of the Broward County Sheriff's Department. He was shot and killed by the Miami-Dade SWAT team after opening fire on them when they attempted to take him into custody.
Officer Somohano had served with the Miami-Dade Police Department for four years, and had previously served with the Miami-Dade Public Schools Police Department. He is survived by his wife and two children.

Detective Roger Castillo

EOW: Thursday, January 20, 2011

Bio & Incident Details

Tour: 21 years

Badge # 1725

Incident Date: Thursday, January 20, 2011

Weapon: Handgun; .40 caliber

Detectives Roger Castillo and Amanda Haworth were shot and killed while serving a felony warrant on a man wanted for murder.
The detectives, along with two other members of a regional task force, had gone to a home near the intersection of NW Seventh Avenue and 69th Street. Upon making contact with an occupant of the home, someone inside immediately opened fire, striking Detective Castillo and Detective Haworth. Another detective on the scene returned fire and killed the suspect.
Detective Castillo succumbed to his wounds at the scene. Detective Haworth was transported to a local hospital where she passed away during surgery.
Detective Castillo had served with the Miami-Dade Police Department for 21 years. He is survived by his wife, three sons, and parents. His wife also served as an officer with the Miami-Dade Police Department.

Detective Amanda Lynn Haworth

EOW: Thursday, January 20, 2011

Bio & Incident Details

Tour: 23 years

Badge # 2700

Incident Date: Thursday, January 20, 2011

Weapon: Handgun; .40 caliber

Detectives Amanda Haworth and Roger Castillo were shot and killed while serving a felony warrant on a man wanted for murder.

The detectives, along with two other members of a regional task force, had gone to a home near the intersection of NW Seventh Avenue and 69th Street. Upon making contact with an occupant of the home, someone inside immediately opened fire, striking Detective Castillo and Detective Haworth. Another detective on the scene returned fire and killed the suspect.

Detective Castillo succumbed to his wounds at the scene. Detective Haworth was transported to a local hospital where she passed away during surgery.

Detective Haworth had served with the Miami-Dade Police Department for 23 years. She is survived by her son, parents, step-parents, and three sisters.

All three were fine upstanding officers and members of the community. Seeing this shit from society pisses me the fuck off. I remember when we did the memorial service for Jose... during that time a BSO Sgt was killed and also an officer from the Tampa area.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:03:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got done reading the last thread.

Anyone shit all over this one yet?

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It's still early.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Chilling words Red Goat..........CHILLING WORDS.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

All three were fine upstanding officers and members of the community. Seeing this shit from society pisses me the fuck off. I remember when we did the memorial service for Jose... during that time a BSO Sgt was killed and also an officer from the Tampa area.

View Quote

Jesus Christ.............my eyes are all watered up.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#8]
RIP
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, but I'm the asshole here, remember?

TRG
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#10]
All this and at Xmas time.........God Damn those mother fucking libtards!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Wut?

ETA:  Oh you mean you and Sylvan last night.

I didn't take your posts that way FWIW.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The reasons often don't justify the lack of accountability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you knew how it is among LE, you might be amazed at how utterly critical we are of each other, and how we try to share lessons learned, best practices, and dissemination of those hard won lessons. 

That's the problem. You shouldn't have to be an insider to see it.

You don't. You have to take some time to understand why things are done the way they're done.

The reasons often don't justify the lack of accountability.

Unfortunately, due to civil service rules, and other vagaries, and the fact that the police are not a doctrinally driven, or uniformly led or disciplined bloc, true transparency cannot be achieved. That leads to distrust and suspicion between agenices and the public.Personnel issues cannot be released, leading individuals to believe there's a cover-up, where none exists. This is not to say that there's never a coverup, screw up, or down right fuckup, and scumbags are covering for scumbags.

In my nearly 9 years of civilian policing, I've seen a surprising number of LEOs get canned from my agency, the municipality, and the Staties, for some really good reasons, and for stuff that no average citizen would even consider being disciplined or lose their job over. Due to privacy laws and CS rules, the information isn't released to the general public.

A good example of weird violations is Extorris' speaking to white socks, certain kind of T-shirts, etc.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Eric Garner's mother: 'I'm standing here in sorrow about losing those police officers, we stand with the families' - @ABC7NY

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
let me know if I should remove this

http://youtu.be/51NZjwwik1Q
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I wonder what it is like to work for a mother fucker who absolutely hates your fucking guts and really doesn't care if you live or die?

I was spoiled I never REMOTELY had a boss like that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:18:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Very sad.

Predictable though considering all the hatred spread by the left lately.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
[div style='font-family: tahoma, arial; background-color: rgb(189, 189, 189);']I think the "Them" in "Us vs Them" have just declared war on "Us".
[div style='font-family: tahoma, arial; background-color: rgb(189, 189, 189);']

[div style='font-family: tahoma, arial; background-color: rgb(189, 189, 189);']Watch your six folks.... those in power have been pushing for shit like this to happen. I have a feeling this is just the beginning.

View Quote

We've been getting downwind intel for many weeks on shitheads chattering about killing cops. Colorado Springs had some Gangster Disciples tool saying they been given the go-ahead to go after cops. What;s sad are the useful idiots parroting this crap now, even in my peaceful state and town.

Funny thing is, highest per capita gun ownership, lowest crime; idiots can't do the math very well.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I was not going to even give him one of those.  Wasn't there a thread here about NY banning toy guns now?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They should put the mayor in a cop uniform give him a box of doughnuts and handcuff him to the steering wheel of a marked car and park it in the middle of that shit hole for a few days.  See how it goes for him.
You forgot the toy gun.

I was not going to even give him one of those.  Wasn't there a thread here about NY banning toy guns now?  
I know about that. Its a way for NY to get more money from retail stores and put the blame on them.

It's Teh Ghey thing in NY

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Eric Garner's mother: 'I'm standing here in sorrow about losing those police officers, we stand with the families' - @ABC7NY

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wonder what it is like to work for a mother fucker who absolutely hates your fucking guts and really doesn't care if you live or die?
View Quote

You get used to it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You get used to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get used to it.

What a terrible way to work.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#22]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v361/Extorris/Gifs/jack.gif

Indeed!
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Don't worry about that.  The insurance claim if a cop gets killed on duty is very very generous to his or her family.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
RIP Officers Liu and Ramos.  May our brotherhood protect and watch over your family as your watch has came to an end.

any word on a fund for the families?
Don't worry about that.  The insurance claim if a cop gets killed on duty is very very generous to his or her family.  

Not necessarily. I carry my own life insurance through USAA. If I get killed on duty, my survivors get a years pay, just under 50K and a small death benefit, about 3K.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Not necessarily. I carry my own life insurance through USAA. If I get killed on duty, my survivors get a years pay, just under 50K and a small death benefit, about 3K.
View Quote

Increase the coverage.

And do it NOW.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Nothing new to those of us who worked the ghetto.

I remember being helped out of the ER at NCB hospital by fellow cops after sustaining an injury to my leg in a foot pursuit. I was in full uniform as were the 2 other guys were helping me walk. My foot was wrapped up, obviously injured.

I was laughed at by 2 separate groups of ghetto dwellers. They were gleeful to see an injured Police Officer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am glad I have never had to witness such down here.  I don't know if I could keep my composure.

Reminds me of when we were boarding buses headed for Ground Zero on 9/12/2001 and a passerby told us "I wish more of you died yesterday".

I remember being helped out of the ER at NCB hospital by fellow cops after sustaining an injury to my leg in a foot pursuit. I was in full uniform as were the 2 other guys were helping me walk. My foot was wrapped up, obviously injured.

I was laughed at by 2 separate groups of ghetto dwellers. They were gleeful to see an injured Police Officer.

That is disgusting.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
RIP Officers Liu and Ramos.  May our brotherhood protect and watch over your family as your watch has came to an end.

any word on a fund for the families?

https://www.psob.gov/benefits_by_year.html#

Looks like $330k from the feds alone.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep.   Let's see who gets banned over this thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was cold blooded murder.

would be easier to just close the thread now, or maybe never open it.  Whoops..................
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You're the accountability. You're the person who elected the politicians who passed the laws and appointed the judges who read the history of law in this country and applied it.

You're also the person who has to take the time to study the reasons why they do what they do, or else you're raging at airplane builders because submarines can't fly.

And if you don't take the time to understand it, then don't be surprised when people who did learn it do things that you don't like.

Submarines can't fly.

Sorry.
View Quote

Thank you, well said.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

would be easier to just close the thread now, or maybe never open it.  Whoops..................
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was cold blooded murder.

Hunting over bait?
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Wut?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Wut?

I should have spent more time explaining the post, but, it was more interesting watching people react to it.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That is disgusting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am glad I have never had to witness such down here.  I don't know if I could keep my composure.

Reminds me of when we were boarding buses headed for Ground Zero on 9/12/2001 and a passerby told us "I wish more of you died yesterday".

That is disgusting.

July 2007, I was struck by a gang banger when he attempted to run two of us over while arresting his brother for armed robbery. Two knee surgeries and having to wear a knee brace. Fucker fled to Mexico. The shitbag's mother was quoted "That cop should have died!".
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thank you, well said.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're the accountability. You're the person who elected the politicians who passed the laws and appointed the judges who read the history of law in this country and applied it.

You're also the person who has to take the time to study the reasons why they do what they do, or else you're raging at airplane builders because submarines can't fly.

And if you don't take the time to understand it, then don't be surprised when people who did learn it do things that you don't like.

Submarines can't fly.

Sorry.

Thank you, well said.

Senator Franken agrees.

Vote early.  Vote often.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Meh, haters gonna hate brother.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG
Wait. I'm a bigger ASSHOLE than you. Just ask Site Staff.

BTW.

If I dont get to to see you posting before Christmas.

Have a safe and Merry Christmas TRG, with a sober Happy New Year.

Also. Just get your ass safely back here state side.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Very sad.

Predictable though considering all the hatred spread by the left lately.
View Quote

Hatred that has been validated/encouraged by assholes in leadership positions.

Starting at the very top.

Does anyone think "they" are surprised?  Shocked? Think of a name, visualize that person & then ask yourself if you think they are disappointed or upset that two non-Black cops were executed in the street.  

This is what they WANT to happen.  

This is what they NEED to happen.  

This is what they PLANNED to happen.

Fuck be upon them.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

BTW.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

BTW.

Uhm ... I'm posting from my couch right now in Texas.

Stateside?

TRG
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Sadly, we knew this was coming because of the tone from "leadership" in this country.   You LEOs stay safe out there and keep your heads on a swivel.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like Jack will be here to stay today. CYA everywhere in the media.

Hope he doesn't tire out.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Stateside?

TRG

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

BTW.

Stateside?

TRG

You need to update your membership info.

TheRedGoat

Team Member

SOM

Good. At least your back

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
No. This says it all. The kid with the phone cant believe it actually happened.

The fear in his voice tells it all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  The person filming sounds shocked and concerned...could be way off but thats my gut feeling.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The anger and vitriol I have in me.... this shit is going to come to a head soon. For those that support such attacks are the lowest dregs of society.

That's it...

View Quote

I hear yah man...just keep the comments level if your still employed.  Hate to see some assbag get people strung up over an internet board post.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:48:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/images/xAvatar/981.GIF
[div style='padding-bottom: 6px;']TheRedGoat

Team Member

Good. At least your back

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

BTW.

Stateside?

TRG

Team Member

Good. At least your back

Well played.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Agreed.  The person filming sounds shocked and concerned...could be way off but thats my gut feeling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its a kid.

Sounds like he has more concerned about what happened than the adults that he knows.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

July 2007, I was struck by a gang banger when he attempted to run two of us over while arresting his brother for armed robbery. Two knee surgeries and having to wear a knee brace. Fucker fled to Mexico. The shitbag's mother was quoted "That cop should have died!".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is disgusting.

I'm sorry!  

I should stay away from these threads, it's getting more and more difficult to remain optimistic.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sadly, we knew this was coming because of the tone from "leadership" in this country.   You LEOs stay safe out there and keep your heads on a swivel.

View Quote

...which happen to be the same group that has a hardon for citizen disarmament.

There's a lesson in there somewhere.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I hear yah man...just keep the comments level if your still employed.  Hate to see some assbag get people strung up over an internet board post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The anger and vitriol I have in me.... this shit is going to come to a head soon. For those that support such attacks are the lowest dregs of society.

That's it...

Yup.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For Brevity ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=only+the+police+should+have+guns+meme&biw=1280&bih=673&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=WvqWVLGEPZbroASs_YKgBw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

TRG
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Well played.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTW.

Stateside?

TRG

Team Member

Good. At least your back

Well played.

TRG

Its a Sunday

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's it...

http://www.ar15.com/media/images/xAvatar/320626.JPG

Yup.

TRG

It's not quite affecting enough of the public yet. At least 20% will be have to be really hurting before it steps off, or so I'm told.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

And if they do, "The trial shall not be lengthy."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's still early.

And if they do, "The trial shall not be lengthy."

Absolutely.  I'm still stunned by it. I have a whole lot of fraternity brothers on the NYPD and they are devastated.

Page / 44
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top