Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My union is prohibited from striking

Same here.
I hope they settle our contract soon so I can get a raise.

Didn't you retire?

Last two years I worked we were without a contract. If we end up getting a raise for those years my pension payment goes up.

That my friend is a sweet deal.

it doesnt suck...we had a nice solid contract with a year left to run when i pulled the plug..a friend of mine from another agency just found her pension will go up by about $150/month since they finally settled their contract.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm all for unions and striking, that is, if the employer can fire your ass and hire new people.

If you can be replaced easily, you don't have much call to strike.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I cannot right now but I guarantee you, I could learn to do it and do it just as well. Your union membership doesn't make you special, just entitled.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I cannot right now but I guarantee you, I could learn to do it and do it just as well. Your union membership doesn't make you special, just entitled.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Someone has to protect the incompetent.

I belong to a union, and I can assure you that  I and my fellow machinists are far from incompetent. I'll wager you couldn't do our job. Can you set up a six axis Mazak Integrex lathe, or mill? You realize that it is Union labor that manufactures the m119, m198, mk19, m1a1 and m1a2 weapon systems?

Please read my other posts concerning this. Obviously your mind is made up on this issue, think what you want. At this point I don't really care.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 8:11:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Still going..

One day longer, One day stronger.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Day 5 begins with a hearty "FUCK YOU!" to the greedy union pigs and their sympathizers.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:42:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What Union do you work for!!? Ours is nowhere even close to that. Not even a little. Your number is exaggerated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Enjoy picket pay while the Union leaders keep their bloated salaries rolling.

Picket pay is around $175 a day, and most of the Union guys are still crying.

What Union do you work for!!? Ours is nowhere even close to that. Not even a little. Your number is exaggerated.

You appear to be correct. Sorry about that.  Guy lied to his wife and I about the picket pay. Asked him about it yesterday and it went from $175 to $150 to nothing.  No idea what to believe from him?  He claims the strike is on for this weekend. Any truth to that?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Did the Union Boss embezzle the strike fund money yet; or is he going to tell you your check is in the mail?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 9:40:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You appear to be correct. Sorry about that.  Guy lied to his wife and I about the picket pay. Asked him about it yesterday and it went from $175 to $150 to nothing.  No idea what to believe from him?  He claims the strike is on for this weekend. Any truth to that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Enjoy picket pay while the Union leaders keep their bloated salaries rolling.

Picket pay is around $175 a day, and most of the Union guys are still crying.

It's no big deal, brother. There are a lot of myths surrounding unions. Lots of misinformation.

As far as him knowing when the strike will be? It's bullshit, but it could be any time. His local union officers dont even know. The National USW board keeps that shit on lock down for a reason.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Unless something changes between now and then, all 1200 union employees will be striking at midnight Saturday.

We will see what happens
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 1:10:35 AM EDT
[#10]
PM me if you need anything.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 5:27:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Day 5 begins with a hearty "FUCK YOU!" to the greedy union pigs and their sympathizers.
View Quote

I respond with an even heartier "FUCK YOU" to the people who think all union workers are greedy pigs.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:46:37 AM EDT
[#12]
now we watch this to see how long the strike goes.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are in an organization that has the power to make you stop working at their command and go to a drastically reduced pay scale (strike pay), why does it seem like such a surprise and mystery when it happens?

You put your quarter in the slot and pulled the handle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you are in an organization that has the power to make you stop working at their command and go to a drastically reduced pay scale (strike pay), why does it seem like such a surprise and mystery when it happens?

View Quote

They arent making me do anything. I have every opportunity to go back to work if I choose.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They arent making me do anything. I have every opportunity to go back to work if I choose.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but will you?

I'd cross that goddamned line in a heartbeat.  I have before and I'd do it again.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes, but will you?

I'd cross that goddamned line in a heartbeat.  I have before and I'd do it again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but will you?

My old union found that so many of the workers saying they would cross the line, they didnt call for a strike, despite having a vote allowing it. It's been almost 2 years and still no contract and no strike.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I began working at a refinery in 1972.  There were a few guys that had crossed the picket line many years ago.  No one had spoken a word to them except for work-related critical information, for all those years.  If a group of men were talking and the guy walked up, they would all turn around and walk off.  He ate by himself as no one would eat with him. He couldn't leave anything personal unattended or it would be damaged.  He led a miserable life.

Not saying it was "right" (it wasn't), but that's how "scabs" were treated back in the day.  You had to either honor the picket line or look for another job, as your work life would be miserable if you crossed it.

View Quote

It's a pretty sad group to associate one's self with that will commit criminal actions over a person wanting to be able to feed their kids.  

Frankly unions need to lose their government protections.  If employees choose to have one person speak for them that's fine, but that employer should be able to sever their relationship with that group at any time and for whatever reason they choose.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 5:29:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm still waiting for the word that my refinery is striking.  With the two that were just added, I'm pretty sure we're next.  I'm an engineer and not part of the contingency, and a contractor to boot.  Not really looking for a "vacation" to be honest.  It is looking inevitable at this point though.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#21]
sheeeit. When I was young and dumb, I was in the UAW. We went on strike in spring of 88. We got $100 a week for strike pay, if we were on the picket line. I got a little bonus for sticking with it, but not much.

Fortunately, I learned to think for myself, and realized unions suck.

The strike failed, BTW. The then mayor was buds with the plant owner, and this trickled down to the cops, and most of the town was against the union.

Nowadays, the town is blue, and would probably support a union and a strike.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes, but will you?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but will you?

That was your decision to make and I respect that. That, however, is not the decision I will be making at this time.

As far as violence against others within or outside the union or damage to property. It has been made very clear to people that if you are caught doing anything of the sort, the same guys you are standing with on the picket line will kick the shit out of you when you get back to the hall. Just because our beliefs may not align with others, we have ZERO tolerance for that type of bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That was your decision to make and I respect that. That, however, is not the decision I will be making at this time.

As far as violence against others within or outside the union or damage to property. It has been made very clear to people that if you are caught doing anything of the sort, the same guys you are standing with on the picket line will kick the shit out of you when you get back to the hall. Just because our beliefs may not align with others, we have ZERO tolerance for that type of bullshit.
View Quote

Those are some beliefs you and your brothers have that y'all are more than happy to resort to physical violence against a brother for daring to earn money to put food on their family's table.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Those are some beliefs you and your brothers have that y'all are more than happy to resort to physical violence against a brother for daring to earn money to put food on their family's table.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you're done coloring, please re read my comment. We have no reason to believe that any of our members will be partaking in anything of that nature. It has been made very clear that we will police our own. We watched non union and union workers drive up and down the road all day long (some coming in and out of the plant) and not a single negative word was even said in their direction. Free country and all.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:29:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading is for faggots.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Reading is for faggots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reading is for faggots.

Exactly! Merica and shit!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

When you're done coloring, please re read my comment. We have no reason to believe that any of our members will be partaking in anything of that nature. It has been made very clear that we will police our own. We watched non union and union workers drive up and down the road all day long (some coming in and out of the plant) and not a single negative word was even said in their direction. Free country and all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry I did misread that while on my phone.  You guys will only kick the shit out of people kicking the shit out of people.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm sorry I did misread that while on my phone.  You guys will only kick the shit out of people kicking the shit out of people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol. You can just apologize and say you read it wrong. No reason to get all "holier than thou". We police our own, just like any group should do.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:42:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I began working at a refinery in 1972.  There were a few guys that had crossed the picket line many years ago.  No one had spoken a word to them except for work-related critical information, for all those years.  If a group of men were talking and the guy walked up, they would all turn around and walk off.  He ate by himself as no one would eat with him. He couldn't leave anything personal unattended or it would be damaged.  He led a miserable life.

Not saying it was "right" (it wasn't), but that's how "scabs" were treated back in the day.  You had to either honor the picket line or look for another job, as your work life would be miserable if you crossed it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but will you?

Yeah i dealt with that too.  Didn't bother me one bit either. I wasn't in their union and didn't want any part of them.

What do you call a guy that served his country, donates to charity, is faithful to his wife, raised kids to be law abidind citizens, and crosses a picket line?  Scab

What do call a guy that ducks out on serving his country, chases whores behind his wifes back, drinks to excess and abuses drugs, and walks the picket line?  Brother.

Pick your side and live with your choice..
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:48:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah i dealt with that too.  Didn't bother me one bit either. I wasn't in their union and didn't want any part of them.

What do you call a guy that served his country, donates to charity, is faithful to his wife, raised kids to be law abidind citizens, and crosses a picket line?  Scab

What do call a guy that ducks out on serving his country, chases whores behind his wifes back, drinks to excess and abuses drugs, and walks the picket line?  Brother.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but will you?

You dont think thats even a little unfair to group everyone into one category like that? Really? Some of the most patriotic, god fearing, giving people Ive ever met in my life belong to a union. Just like some of the scummiest shitbags Ive ever met also belong to a union. I dont agree with all the unions decisions and tactics, but I see people for who they really are. Not just what they belong to.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#31]
The quote tree is too long.

The union decided to lump all of those not in the union together. Why should I handcuff myself by not using their rules in a discussion?
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:56:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
lol. You can just apologize and say you read it wrong. No reason to get all "holier than thou". We police our own, just like any group should do.
View Quote

Society would prefer that the legal system be used to punish those that assault other people.  If you really want to be a change agent then call the police if you have evidence that one of your brothers assaulted someone.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Drive by the refinery everyday.  (I'm in Portage, work in Chicago.)  From what I'm gathering on FB it's due to "safety" reasons...not pay (I'll ASSume it's a bit of both).  I'm union but usually side with management, but am also a steward I know I know, figure that one out.  

Good luck, but this community/area is already hurting for jobs and the refinery area is rather bleak with booming jobs, and with AccelorMital (Steel industry for those that don't know) shutting down 400+ jobs, it's going to get worse.  Hope it doesn't last long for you.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The quote tree is too long.

The union decided to lump all of those not in the union together. Why should I handcuff myself by not using their rules in a discussion?
View Quote

I've never been told that by any of the 3 unions that Ive belonged to. This is another one of those "Evil Union" myths and something that may have happened in the past, but has been thrown by the wayside in current times. We earn our paycheck by our means and do not restrict others from earning theirs in the way they see fit. Even if one of our own members decided to cross a line and go back to work (which is an option at any time they deem necessary) that they will not be met with hostility or violence. I dont know what someones financial/family/personal situation is. Their choice is just that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Society would prefer that the legal system be used to punish those that assault other people.  If you really want to be a change agent then call the police if you have evidence that one of your brothers assaulted someone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

None of my answers are going to please you and I understand that. Thanks for contributing to the conversation.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Drive by the refinery everyday.  (I'm in Portage, work in Chicago.)  From what I'm gathering on FB it's due to "safety" reasons...not pay (I'll ASSume it's a bit of both).  I'm union but usually side with management, but am also a steward I know I know, figure that one out.  
Good luck, but this community/area is already hurting for jobs and the refinery area is rather bleak with booming jobs, and with AccelorMital (Steel industry for those that don't know) shutting down 400+ jobs, it's going to get worse.  Hope it doesn't last long for you.
View Quote

It is for safety reasons as of now. Our union wont even discuss pay until these issues are handles first. Hence the strike being because of unfair labor practice (ULP) instead of an economic strike (money). And no, I dont expect a strike because of wages. We are paid well for what we do and all of our members recognize that. I also hope it doesnt last long.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It is for safety reasons as of now. Our union wont even discuss pay until these issues are handles first. Hence the strike being because of unfair labor practice (ULP) instead of an economic strike (money). And no, I dont expect a strike because of wages. We are paid well for what we do and all of our members recognize that. I also hope it doesnt last long.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the safety problem and what has OSHA said on the matter?
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#38]
I am a union member because I have to be to have my job, Fuck a strike. I have bills to pay and a family to support. All the union does is take money from my check each month. YMMV but I will continue to work regardless of a strike and the so called union brotherhood bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty sure they're pulling some serious hours and double shifts and I'm not just talking a day or two here and there. (Chemicals/fuel and long hard hours don't mix). I can give you an example of why I'm union....over the course of 8 months I went unpaid 63 hours of OT....(they were still paying other OT for me here and there, but every other pay period or so some would go missing).  I kept going to HR, my T&A clerk, my Captain, etc etc.  They all kept point fingers at each other.  I finally called the IL Board of Labor, threatened to call OSHA on some shit I know we're out of pocket on, and also had a ULP ready to submit.  I was paid w/in a week.  Shit like that is why I think a union is still needed.  Not everything unions do are bad.  But on the flip side, I fully understand the bad rap they get.

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The federal department I work for is only funded through 27FEB, might not be allowed to work after that, the House is using it as a bargaining chip to try to get something done with immigration, will probably wind up back-paying us to sit at home for a week again like last time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But "Solidarity Forever" instead?
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:53:48 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The federal department I work for is only funded through 27FEB, might not be allowed to work after that, the House is using it as a bargaining chip to try to get something done with immigration, will probably wind up back-paying us to sit at home for a week again like last time.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

too.  But since I'm a professional BOP babysitter...I still will be at work since I still work in custody.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Pretty sure they're pulling some serious hours and double shifts and I'm not just talking a day or two here and there. (Chemicals/fuel and long hard hours don't mix). I can give you an example of why I'm union....over the course of 8 months I went unpaid 63 hours of OT....(they were still paying other OT for me here and there, but every other pay period or so some would go missing).  I kept going to HR, my T&A clerk, my Captain, etc etc.  They all kept point fingers at each other.  I finally called the IL Board of Labor, threatened to call OSHA on some shit I know we're out of pocket on, and also had a ULP ready to submit.  I was paid w/in a week.  Shit like that is why I think a union is still needed.  Not everything unions do are bad.  But on the flip side, I fully understand the bad rap they get.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, did you just cite an example of solving a problem without a union as a justification for unions?
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:59:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Wait, did you just cite an example of solving a problem without a union as a justification for unions?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't think the union was part of helping me get all the contacts I needed and getting our ULP/grievance in line?

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#45]

Our Union was able to get right around 1 million dollars in backpay/grievance/OT/regualr rate money from the company last year. This was all money earned on the job that the company for one reason or anyother didnt pay. No way that much would have been paid out if we had to do it on our own.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I belong to a union, and I can assure you that  I and my fellow machinists are far from incompetent. I'll wager you couldn't do our job. Can you set up a six axis Mazak Integrex lathe, or mill? You realize that it is Union labor that manufactures the m119, m198, mk19, m1a1 and m1a2 weapon systems?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh the irony.... I'm a career machinist/programmer mostly (still do some g code on the old haas, vipers, johns fords, and pumas, but we're switching to all mazaks, mazatrol is a great interface) all Mazak lathes and mills.  I was Union on gov contracts prior to my current industry, and yes unions protect incompetency.   Not saying there isn't skilled professionals in unions just saying how unions operate.  Of course to the unions I was a rat bc I lived in a right to work state at the time and refused to member up, and voted to disband once.   Also a double whammy for me being a rat bc I'm a facility manager now, and unions hate management or any of their pawns who want something more than standing on a machine for 20 yrs.  Couldn't give a fuck who makes "weapon systems or platforms",  a union making them means the tax payers are prob getting fucked.

To answer your question: I'll wager I've done your job a time or two.    
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Double tap
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 12:57:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Oh the irony.... I'm a career machinist/programmer mostly (still do some g code on the old haas, vipers, johns fords, and pumas, but we're switching to all mazaks, mazatrol is a great interface) all Mazak lathes and mills.  I was Union on gov contracts prior to my current industry, and yes unions protect incompetency.   Not saying there isn't skilled professionals in unions just saying how unions operate.  Of course to the unions I was a rat bc I lived in a right to work state at the time and refused to member up, and voted to disband once.   Also a double whammy for me being a rat bc I'm a facility manager now, and unions hate management or any of their pawns who want something more than standing on a machine for 20 yrs.  Couldn't give a fuck who makes "weapon systems or platforms",  a union making them means the tax payers are prob getting fucked.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's nice. I see you are a non-paying "member" here also. I guess letting everybody else pay for something that you use is just how you roll, huh?
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:01:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's nice. I see you are a non-paying "member" here also. I guess letting everybody else pay for something that you use is just how you roll, huh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you are saying the no matter where you went to work, you would join a union even if not required?

You're also saying that you pay for everything you take part in?
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top