Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/23/2013 1:47:58 PM EDT
One paragraph in an op-ed by Seth Cropsey in Friday's Wall Street Journal summed up the essential reason that China and the U.S. are on a collision course--willful American refusal to maintain our military edge:

The growing disparity between Chinese and U.S. military investment will eventually alter the balance of power in the Western Pacific. This shift will likely lead either to military conflict or to tacit American acknowledgment of Chinese dominance. A war would be disastrous, but Chinese dominance would not bode well either: The U.S. ability to shape the international order would end with Chinese supremacy in the most populous and economically vigorous part of the world.

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013/06/23/The-Coming-China-U-S-Conflict-in-One-Paragraph
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Shh! Dancing with the Stars is on TV!
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say we could nuke em

But our president is too big of a pussy to even think of it
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Yet we continue to allow labor unions  to price manufacturing out of this country and over to China
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#4]
china wants to move 200 million farmers into cities to have no work and have to import more food.

chinas on a collision course to disaster with or without us.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#5]
What Islam is to religion, China is to its neighbors....a Nation of Peace.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:52:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Over blown concern!  China will do nothing to the U.S. (since they will own us sooner rather than later).
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw this matrix last week out of an Aussie think-tank - referenced in DID:

ETA:

Worth pointing out that there has been very little evidence, lately, that you are going to see anything but an Aggressive China. And this is an Aussie viewpoint.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I fear China. Thank God we got a big ocean between us.
My fears always get blown off. Oh China needs us to sell things to. Oh China won't because We owe them too
much money. Oh China this and China that.

I think China will do whatever is in the best interest to  China period.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yet we continue to allow labor unions  to price manufacturing out of this country and over to China

As much as I hate labor unions and they have contributed to the decline of this country the EPA has to get a nod here as well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As much as I hate labor unions and they have contributed to the decline of this country the EPA has to get a nod here as well.

Yes, very true!
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, push the war mongering. We should definitely start spending on the military like we did in the 2000s. That's definitely working for us right now.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Sell their holdings of US bonds and flood the US market with all the dollars they have been holding on to, game over.

Let the Yuan rise in value and millions of Chinese people are now feeling more affluent and able to purchase their own goods.

Although the central planning in china has made their economy a bubble
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My fears always get blown off. Oh China needs us to sell things to. Oh China won't because We owe them too

When they stop importing most of their food and energy, I'll worry. Until then,
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When they stop importing most of their food and energy, I'll worry. Until then,

this.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes, push the war mongering. We should definitely start spending on the military like we did in the 2000s. That's definitely working for us right now.

No,
Abolish the IRS and charge a flat tax.
Abolish the department of education and give control back to the states.
Drug test for all welfare recipients and cut all money to those who test positive to drugs.
Quite extending the unemployment benefits, so slackers have to go out and look for a job.
Deport all illegal mexicans and seal the border so they don't return.
Loosen up environmental restrictions preventing us from being competitive in manufacturing.
Allow oil companies to drill for oil on American soil
Abolish all public employee labor unions
Allow children under 18 to work without a work permit.
BALANCE THE FEDERAL BUDGET AND QUITE BORROWING MONEY FROM CHINA
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, abolish the IRS and charge a flat tax.
Drug test for all welfare recipients and cut all money to those who test positive to drugs.
Quite extending the unemployment benefits, so slackers have to go out and look for a job.
Loosen up environmental restrictions preventing us from being competitive in manufacturing.

china isn't lending to us anymore.
no one is.
we are borrowing from ourselves.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Why must there always be a boogie man on the international stage?  The Military Industrial  Complex needs to justify its extienece.

Why do we buy 100's of Billions of dollars of their goods every fucking year if the Chinese are such a threat ?

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#18]
No one respects a pussy, no one fears a pussy and everyone takes advantage of a pussy.

barry hussein sotero obongo is a pussy.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:11:05 PM EDT
[#19]
China has a pretty limited history on aggression. For them the military is more symbolic than practical.

Not to say we may not bump heads in the near future but a Cold War atmospher not in the next 100 years.

It would take an exogenic unforeseen event like zombies or asteroids

The world is getting smaller and what we will see is more cooperation among statist governments to suppress tribal tendencies as opposed to nation state confrantations.

The war on terror is a perfect example so is cyber warfare. The pie of the world is pretty set.  It would take enormous preps for nations to expand and for what?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'd say we could nuke em

China has nukes and capable ICBM's.

Full scale warfare between the US and China isn't an option. The outcome would not be in anyone's favor.

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no one is.

Don't interject logic in to his rant. He was on a roll.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This is my take.  

The US has to maintain an absolute technological edge over China due to the disparity in population between the two countries.  China could lag behind in military technology, but still win a conventional war with US forces.  "Quantity has a quality all its own", that's usually attributed to Stalin, IIRC.  This is a major factor in the decision making process of the Chinese and American leadership.  If the military technological gap between the two nations narrowed enough, and other conditions were met (creating a viable blue water navy would be one of them I assume), the Chinese may take the step of actually invading an American ally.  

Unfortunately, you have a valid point as well.  The US economy isn't what it used to be, and the population seems to be war weary.  Sustaining the current military technological gap will be difficult in a time of deepening austerity.  

I welcome any corrections from people more knowledegable.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:20:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no one is.

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#24]
The current administration and their hangers-on are not going to give a shit what China or anyone else does unless it directly affects their chances of getting elected/re-elected. This should be obvious to just about every agitator in the world by now and as it continues, every country is going to feel the need for nuclear weapons. Without a dramatic change of leadership, I'll be amazed if we make it 20 years without a hostile nuclear detonation somewhere on the planet.

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:26:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Are they still colonizing Africa? If yes, I'd like them to stop that.

Other than that...meh.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm curious to see what happens when we default on our debt or just run it off a photocopier and hand it to them.

Still, they show no initiative at all in actually getting ahead of us in the arms race, just copying. They need to figure out how to design shit on their own, something they appear incapable of.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no one is.

37% of our debt issued was bought by foreigners in 3/12

2009 was the worst on record with 17% so it is better than what it was.

ETA:China is  still buying our debt.  Which is worse to me than them not.  They just dont do it on the open market.  They buy it direct

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/21/us-usa-treasuries-china-idUSBRE84K11720120521
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:44:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

37% of our debt issued was bought by foreigners in 3/12

2009 was the worst on record with 17% so it is better than what it was.

Wat?
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

There is NO way you can price manufacturing in this country and keep the minimum wage.  It's not just the labor unions that will be crying at that point.

Our only hope is our currency devalues enough to drop real manufacturing costs.  Which is something else we don't want.

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

china wants to move 200 million farmers into cities to have no work and have to import more food.

This.  I spent two weeks in China two years ago, and it completely changed my perspective on the country.

They have major problems ahead.

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Which typically doesn't bode well for international relations as a rising power seeks to point problems outward as a distraction.

The coming decade will be interesting.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which typically doesn't bode well for international relations as a rising power seeks to point problems outward as a distraction.

1 billion Chinese are their own problem.
especially when you can't feed them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:51:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://www.aspistrategist.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/China-alternative-futures.jpeg

ETA:

Worth pointing out that there has been very little evidence, lately, that you are going to see anything but an Aggressive China. And this is an Aussie viewpoint.

Well they have the most to lose from an overly aggressive China. Also, it matches much of what I've seen from other analysts. There isn't near as much fear mongering of China when it comes to a military point of view. We're far more concerned about their ability to send cheap labor with rich contracts to desolate places we've fought hard for and are losing to China.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#34]
No more Buffets?

Danny
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Would you propose that American workers start getting paid less than Chinese so the jobs come back here? I think the trade imbalance is much more complicated than union wages. Check EPA and OSHA.

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the critical problem for them. Their population is so large and their people are still extremely poor. A foreign adventure would make a nice distraction. Especially if the PRC can tie it to hunger, jobs, money, etc...

China could turn into the world's largest exporter of human capital to work in Africa, the Middle East, and Central Asia just to try to turn a profit on their planned economy. But that doesn't solve the internal problems they have: extreme poverty (even by Chinese standards), continuous rebellious provinces, a new guard in the PLA who has known no war, and the perception they're a growing power and expected to do what such powers do.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#37]
paper dragon
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Meh.....China needs us more than we need them when it comes right down to it.

When we become energy independant (despite the Dems) and rid ourselves of the mid-east yoke we have worn so long (yeah Israel will have to play nice or go down) China and the EU bums will have to deal with it. Let them police the mid-east.

The boom the USA can experiance (if the regulators back the fuck off) will have the Chi-Coms begging us to sell us their stuff.

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'd say we could nuke em

60 years too late for that brother. Should have hit them with 30 nukes when they got involved in the Korean war.

Word on the street is they may have some nukes of their own these days................
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This.  Their internal problems with over-population are so great, I can think of no solution to them in mankind's capacity.  Even if one were to engage on a genocidal nuclear campaign on China, you would barely make a dent in their population.

85% of their military and security apparatus is geared towards maintaining the shackles and bars of a communist state on their own people, not projecting or sustaining power far from their territory, and they have to contend with a lot of unruly Asian neighbors like Vietnam who simply won't stand by and be pushed around.  Vietnam beat them pretty bad in the Sino-Vietnamese war in 1979.

At least 85% of our military apparatus is geared towards projecting power across Atlantic and Pacific fronts in far regions of the world in case the trade routes are threatened.  

Our biggest problem currently is that China seems to dictate a lot of this Administration's policies, particularly with regard to our Asian partners, who Hussein has snuffed his Chinese-backed nose at.  We are in unprecedented times.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would inciting regional wars to get more lebensraum for feeding them, as well as reducing surplus population be past the Chinese government?

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.aspistrategist.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/China-alternative-futures.jpeg

ETA:

Well they have the most to lose from an overly aggressive China. Also, it matches much of what I've seen from other analysts. There isn't near as much fear mongering of China when it comes to a military point of view. We're far more concerned about their ability to send cheap labor with rich contracts to desolate places we've fought hard for and are losing to China.

It's a shame we're not headed for the upper half of that graph.
Actually, I think it's missing the bottom portion/third, where we lick the chinese boots for fun.  It's like the "US Withdraws", but worse in every possible respect.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This. Sooner or later the Chinese will have a serious food crisis on their hands. The breadbasket nations will be in a position of leverage.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the critical problem for them. Their population is so large and their people are still extremely poor. A foreign adventure would make a nice distraction. Especially if the PRC can tie it to hunger, jobs, money, etc...

China could turn into the world's largest exporter of human capital to work in Africa, the Middle East, and Central Asia just to try to turn a profit on their planned economy. But that doesn't solve the internal problems they have: extreme poverty (even by Chinese standards), continuous rebellious provinces, a new guard in the PLA who has known no war, and the perception they're a growing power and expected to do what such powers do.

Where can they adventure to though?  Korea?  Siberia? Vietnam? The -stans?  Not sure where else they can go with an actual army.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#45]
The thing is, we don't need China for cheap Asian goods.  We can source cheap Asian products from:

South Korea
Japan
Taiwan
Singapore
Vietnam
Philippines

All these nations just happen to geographically contain China, whic is why China has embarked on securing strategic depth as far as Africa and Central America over the past 50 years, leading up to the present.  They are financing the creation of the once US-planned Nicaraguan Canal to gain more access to trans-Central American shipping, and they are negotiating with Mexico to build a massive deep sea port on Baja California's West Coast.

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:25:48 PM EDT
[#46]
You guys ever been to a bar where the women are outnumbered by men 3 to 1?

1)  Usually there is fighting

2)  They never stay in business long

Even if I'm wrong, fuck the communist.  We've beat their ass before, and we'll do it again if they wanna fight.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#47]
One day it's going down.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#48]

especially when you can't feed them.[/quote]

That's like saying if we cut off welfare to the FSA, its the FSA's problem.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This.

They either figure they can gain control of the chow supply elsewhere to meet thier future needs, or plan on whacking a significant number of thier people.

I'm guessing they figure on Obongo and his Posse' nationalizing grain commoditys, and Ivan playing along as well.

The word "Messy" comes to mind.

Link Posted: 6/23/2013 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That's like saying if we cut off welfare to the FSA, its the FSA's problem.[/quote]

Except instead of being your neighbors, they are across the Pacific Ocean.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top