Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:21:05 PM EDT
[#1]
This article wouldnt have anything to do with the recent $50 million dollar investment Goldman Sachs, Prudential Financial , and RBH Group placed into AeroFarms, would it?
http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2015/07/28/farming-in-sky-inside-wall-street-backed-vertical-farm/
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:21:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I buy free range chicken eggs. $2 doz (mixed size) and $3 (all large). I know both sellers and their chickens are free range. The eggs do taste better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Same nonsense goes for the "free range chicken" that suckers are paying a premium for.

The chickens are raised in mega chicken coops like all the rest, but they have an exit door that leads to a small outdoor area that the chickens can "choose" to walk around in which few ever do.

I buy free range chicken eggs. $2 doz (mixed size) and $3 (all large). I know both sellers and their chickens are free range. The eggs do taste better.

I'm going to post a pic of my eggs in this thread the next time I have an egg. It's not so much the taste as the consistency and color. There is a lot more protein in my girls whites. It makes a big difference in cooking with them.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:23:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It means exactly what I think it does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what we've been trying to tell tards in the anti GMO threads here for years.

"certified organic" does not mean what they think it does.

It means exactly what I think it does.

No it doesn't. It is a total misuse of the word. You can't just take a word that means something and hijack it to mean something else.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm trying to convince my wife that it doesn't matter much. She keeps buying these "organic" chocolate chip granola bars for the kids which they go through in no time flat and are expensive. we spend $800 a month on groceries, it would be nice to shave a few bucks off. I do prefer to give my kids the organic milk, but I can't say that I'm entirely educated on the subject.
View Quote

I don't purchase organic produce, or very little. My cherry juice I get is supposed to be organic. I drink it for certain benefits though. (gout and arthritis)
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What if I told you I did, and the organic stuff didn't sour for 1-2 weeks longer than the conventional?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I only buy organic milk.

I don't use a lot of milk, and the organic milk lasts about four times longer than the regular stuff.
That's not possible

Purchase both types and run your own experiment

What if I told you I did, and the organic stuff didn't sour for 1-2 weeks longer than the conventional?

How about I tell you that was a function of how the regular milk was shipped and stored before you bought it. I used to do picks up for a small rural store, we transported the milk in large coolers packed in ice. The walk in was always just barely above freezing and the ones I took home lasted a week longer than the expiration date, because my home refrigerator was almost as cold as the store walk-in.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/henrymiller/2015/07/29/why-organic-agriculture-is-a-colossal-hoax/

Organic agriculture is an unscientific, heavily subsidized marketing gimmick that misleads and rips off consumers. The federal government should stop promoting and subsidizing it.

Consumers of organic foods are getting both more and less than they bargained for. On both counts, it’s not good.

Many people who pay the huge premium—often more than a hundred percent–for organic foods do so because they’re afraid of pesticides.  If that’s their rationale, they misunderstand the nuances of organic agriculture. Although it’s true that synthetic chemical pesticides are generally prohibited, there is a lengthy list of exceptions listed in the Organic Foods Production Act, while most “natural” ones are permitted. However, “organic” pesticides can be toxic.  As evolutionary biologist Christie Wilcox explained in a 2012 Scientific American article (“Are lower pesticide residues a good reason to buy organic? Probably not.”): “Organic pesticides pose the same health risks as non-organic ones.”...
View Quote

Heh.

View Quote

Just like everything labeled 'organic.'  Yes it's mostly a scam on unsuspecting, uneducated people thinking they're buying/using 'healthier' foods and products. Where's that thread about 'organic' cotton and Jessica Alba's 'organic' tampon company.

Fool and their money and all that.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

And before that, it was "Fat Free"

People thought fat in the food got you fat. When it's actually calories.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The label "Organic" or "Gluten Free" are the new buzzwords, a few years ago it was "Lite" or "Light" or "Whole Grain". It's marketing hype for the most part.

Having said that I still prefer my own home grown veggies or those of a local farm as well as eggs, poultry and meats from small local farms. I went last Saturday to buy my meat for a month or two from a farm near me. A guy up the road has fresh eggs and another has some of the best tasting chickens I've ever eaten, Freedom Rangers. You can't get that kind of quality or freshness at Kroger or Publix, I don't care what label they sell it under.

And before that, it was "Fat Free"

People thought fat in the food got you fat. When it's actually calories.

No, before that it was calories. The pseudo studies started in the early 90's. Weird because those myths were dispelled decades before using actual science.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:38:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Pretty much this.  I eat a lot of "organic" veggies and meats, but I know the farmers who produce it. I'm not relying on a label in a store, I'm going to my neighbors farm/CSA.  As for price, sometimes it is more expensive, sometimes not.  The quality is definitely better; tomatoes for example, taste great - not at all like the flavorless crap you get at the supermarket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
lol, anyone that just blindly trusts/assumes that some .gov labeling program has their best interest in mind is stupid.

Ultimately, it's up to the consumer to be responsible for what they put in their body. I love seeing carts at the grocery store filled with all organic produce, but also loaded down with junk like wheat bread and other "heart healthy" garbage. Sheeple.

Do your own research, find local and responsible sources for stuff. Yeah it's way more effort and probably more expensive and you will be limited in what you can find -- but not getting the beetus or cancer from eating shitty fucking food is worth it.

Pretty much this.  I eat a lot of "organic" veggies and meats, but I know the farmers who produce it. I'm not relying on a label in a store, I'm going to my neighbors farm/CSA.  As for price, sometimes it is more expensive, sometimes not.  The quality is definitely better; tomatoes for example, taste great - not at all like the flavorless crap you get at the supermarket.

Same here.  The guy we get our food from doesn't even market it as particularly organic, but I can stop by his farm any time and watch my steaks and burgers grazing in the pasture, and my wings and drumsticks strutting around the yard.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I only buy organic milk.

I don't use a lot of milk, and the organic milk lasts about four times longer than the regular stuff.
View Quote

It's because it's ultrapasturized. That's why it tastes so nice and creamy too. Organic has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Lots of derp as usual in these threads. I will buy organic if the product is actually better, most of the time it isn't.

The above comments about tomatoes really hits the nail, but it still misses some of it. 2 years ago I grew about 20 varieties of heirloom tomatoes and came to the conclusion that they fucking suck. They ones that did produce had terrible flavor, reminiscent of grocery store tomatoes. The regular old garden tomatoes that everyone grows like celebrity, brandywine and even big boys were superior in every way.

The people who love organic and hate Monsanto don't realize that the best vegetables are being bred by Monsanto and it's subsidiaries. That local organic csa that you buy that amazing produce from won't tell you that is where they are getting their seed from and yes it is still can be completely organic.

I don't care how fucking rich your local soil is. It isn't going to taste better than a properly bred (which name just might be a number) plant grown completely hydroponically or organically.
View Quote

I agree for the most part. The hybrids produce more and are a lot more disease resistant.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:53:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I only buy organic milk.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yep, start reading the label on some of these "organic" pesticides, I can't believe some of the stuff that passes as organic.

I've got some biological "organic" pesticide that requires you to wear a dust mask during application because the human body can react to the proteins in it and cause allergies.

I try to visit a lot of the local nurseries too. I asked the lady at one of the organic nurseries if all their plants were organic. (sometimes you gotta play dumb to get answers)

She said all the plants were cared for organically once they received them from the supplier.

View Quote
Organic means it is made around the carbon atom. It doesn't mean it's harmless. It wouldn't work if it was harmless. It's supposed to harm something.

Once its applied and does it's business it degrades and doesn't hurt things. Do a search on bacillis subtilis, or spinosad. Or neem oil.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

This is true, the expiration dates are longer on organic milk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I only buy organic milk.

That's not possible

Purchase both types and run your own experiment

This is true, the expiration dates are longer on organic milk.
Two different types of pasteurization, bruhs. The explanation is not organic vs. conventional.

High Temp and Ultra High Temp; 165 F for 15-20 seconds, 280 F for one second.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:59:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

do you know how I know you don't know shit about chickens?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same nonsense goes for the "free range chicken" that suckers are paying a premium for.

The chickens are raised in mega chicken coops like all the rest, but they have an exit door that leads to a small outdoor area that the chickens can "choose" to walk around in which few ever do.

Wat?????  I raise jumbo Cornish x's, and let me tell ya, those fuxkers do not forage for shit.  They stand next to the feeder and wait for more food.  If you didn't ration their food they would eat themselves to death.  

What else do you wanna know about chickens?  I have a bunch of red stars, Wyandotte's, etc as hens running around. We can talk about layers next if you want to.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:06:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Good friend just started a new restaurant chain with mostly organic, gmo free etc.   he's killing it.

There is a demand...go fill it and make some money!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:07:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Serious question:

If you can point me to any good sources of information I would love to read them.

I have a serious condition. When I am interested in something, or want to know about it, I read, read, read. I dig and dig, and then dig some more.

I go down multiple rabbit holes, where I read and dig deeper. I look at "all sides" of the issue, and from different angles.

Sometimes I find absolute truth on a subject or problem, and sometimes I just have a lot of information to make an informed decision for myself.

So anyways, If you have any good information, I'll take it.

cheers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL. Organic = charge low information voters more for a product of lesser quality and false health benefits.

Serious question:

If you can point me to any good sources of information I would love to read them.

I have a serious condition. When I am interested in something, or want to know about it, I read, read, read. I dig and dig, and then dig some more.

I go down multiple rabbit holes, where I read and dig deeper. I look at "all sides" of the issue, and from different angles.

Sometimes I find absolute truth on a subject or problem, and sometimes I just have a lot of information to make an informed decision for myself.

So anyways, If you have any good information, I'll take it.

cheers.

Planet natural has some information on their products. You can also look at reviews on amazon. This will get you started:

Neem oil

Insecticidal soap (its not really the same as dish soap, I've used dish soap sometimes though)

Spinosad

Bacillis subtilus

Bacillus Thuringiensis

dyna grow silicon supplement

green sand

glacial rock dust

azomite

permethrin

streptomyces

There's more but that's the stuff I use.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:09:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
LOL, the top could be labeled organic and free range by the USDA. As for the bottom pic, no chickens are raised that way, they are in transport to the slaughter house and could legally be labeled anything.

Maybe my sarcasm meter needs calibration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is ridiculous! Obviously you have never been to one of those 'mega chicken coops'.

http://www.anh-usa.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/broilerchicken1.jpg

http://www.elephantjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/factory-farming-chickensstacked.jpg

Those chickens DO NOT get to free range.....if one dies in the cage, it is left to rot and the other chickens will begin to eat it. They also fester in their own feces and yes they WILL eat that too.......mmmmm mmmmmm good!

I have no dog in this fight as I raise my own chickens and only eat those......but do not think for a minute that the 'Mega Animal Farms' produce food as good as REAL free range / organic operations.......

But if it makes you feel better keep buying that crap and thinking it's just as healthy!

LOL, the top could be labeled organic and free range by the USDA. As for the bottom pic, no chickens are raised that way, they are in transport to the slaughter house and could legally be labeled anything.

Maybe my sarcasm meter needs calibration.
The bottom pic is how they are kept in egg factorys. That's why they are called factory hens. You can see videos of them on youtube. They are NOT on the way to slaughter.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:12:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yep, bt toxin is widely used in both organic and conventional farming but the hippies can't get it through their heads that GMO expression of bt toxin and the application of bt toxin by organic farmers is the same damn chemical.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, start reading the label on some of these "organic" pesticides, I can't believe some of the stuff that passes as organic.

I sometimes get the idea that for something to pass as organic or to be "certified organic"

all it takes is money

The only criteria a pesticide has to meet to be organic is something that occurs naturally. Well, nature produces some pretty scary shit. Nicotine is considered an organic pesticide.

The really funny thing to me is those who choose organic because they're worried about "chemicals". Newsflash: Your organic produce got sprayed with natural "chemicals", and there is zero regulation on how much organic pesticide can be lathered onto your produce. In fact, because organic pesticides are generally less effective than man made pesticides, lots of organic produce has been exposed to a lot more pesticides than non organic produce has.

Yep, bt toxin is widely used in both organic and conventional farming but the hippies can't get it through their heads that GMO expression of bt toxin and the application of bt toxin by organic farmers is the same damn chemical.

It's not the toxin, it's the spores. The catapillars or other bug eats it, and the alkaline solution in the bugs gut makes it grow. It is harmless to mammals.

I swear, this thread has made me realize that a lot of people have some nerve making fun of other peoples stupidity.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This is what we've been trying to tell tards in the anti GMO threads here for years.

"certified organic" does not mean what they think it does.
View Quote

No doubt. I once saw a bag of dried beans that had the government "certified organic" seal on it--right next to the "Product of China" notification. Derp.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Jeez. I really am not a crusader for organic farming, and don't want to seem as though I'm pushing anything on anyone, but many people are well aware of what you point out. Not all, for sure, but many.

One pesticide, glyphosate, is what a lot of people want to avoid, among others. There does, in fact, appear to be some health concern over it. If you do a simple google search for it you will find a lot of material to consider.

There is also evidence that it takes more and more of it to be effective as weeds become tolerant. Again, easy to find.

The USDA and FDA are also steeped with former industry players at the highest levels, which in itself doesn't mean anything for sure, but, ya know, it makes you think.

Also, many prominent colleges and think tanks are funded by industry or others with their own agendas. Again, doesn't mean anything is guaranteed, but it makes you think.

Anyway, you would think that it is healthy to decide about your diet, or anything else, based on careful consideration of the available information, but it seems like (edit: some) in GD want to cram their opinion down everyone's throat and call them stupid.

Who else does that? Hmmm.

I like it here though. There are some very funny, intelligent, and interesting people in GD, and you all post some good stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I sometimes get the idea that for something to pass as organic or to be "certified organic"

all it takes is money

The only criteria a pesticide has to meet to be organic is something that occurs naturally. Well, nature produces some pretty scary shit. Nicotine is considered an organic pesticide.

The really funny thing to me is those who choose organic because they're worried about "chemicals". Newsflash: Your organic produce got sprayed with natural "chemicals", and there is zero regulation on how much organic pesticide can be lathered onto your produce. In fact, because organic pesticides are generally less effective than man made pesticides, lots of organic produce has been exposed to a lot more pesticides than non organic produce has.

Jeez. I really am not a crusader for organic farming, and don't want to seem as though I'm pushing anything on anyone, but many people are well aware of what you point out. Not all, for sure, but many.

One pesticide, glyphosate, is what a lot of people want to avoid, among others. There does, in fact, appear to be some health concern over it. If you do a simple google search for it you will find a lot of material to consider.

There is also evidence that it takes more and more of it to be effective as weeds become tolerant. Again, easy to find.

The USDA and FDA are also steeped with former industry players at the highest levels, which in itself doesn't mean anything for sure, but, ya know, it makes you think.

Also, many prominent colleges and think tanks are funded by industry or others with their own agendas. Again, doesn't mean anything is guaranteed, but it makes you think.

Anyway, you would think that it is healthy to decide about your diet, or anything else, based on careful consideration of the available information, but it seems like (edit: some) in GD want to cram their opinion down everyone's throat and call them stupid.

I like it here though. There are some very funny, intelligent, and interesting people in GD, and you all post some good stuff.

That's an herbicide, not a pesticide. That alone kind of kills any credibility you may have had.

I wonder if the same folks study the long term effects of smoking pot with such diligence.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
What herbicides are safer than Roundup? Roundup ready crops have been a godsend for keeping poisonous chemicals out of our food supply. The stuff farmers had to apply before this were far far more toxic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What herbicides are safer than Roundup? Roundup ready crops have been a godsend for keeping poisonous chemicals out of our food supply. The stuff farmers had to apply before this were far far more toxic.

How dare you come in this thread and post facts and stuff!!!  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:19:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Whenever someone tells me they prefer organic, I counter with either :

- Dog shit is organic

- What about inorganic fruit / chicken / etc
View Quote

one uninformed idiot using a catch phrase talking to another uninformed idiot.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:21:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

You have to know how to read labels and understand what goes into your food. Don't rely on the government (surprise, surprise)
View Quote

Or GD.

Well, some of   GD.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:21:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's an herbicide, not a pesticide. That alone kind of kills any credibility you may have had.

I wonder if the same folks study the long term effects of smoking pot with such diligence.
View Quote

A herbicide is a type of pesticide.

Pesticide = Insecticide, herbicide, fungicide, rodenticide, larvicide, etc.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:22:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Milk is the only thing I've seen a difference in taste on. Longer expiration dates as well
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:24:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Scientifically speaking, gasoline and other petroleum distillates are organic
View Quote

Finally someone who understands the definition of the word.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Holy shit this thread is a goldmine! (of mostly , but a goldmine none the less).
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:30:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

all it takes is money

Yeah, I made a mistake with my terminology.

I'm not trying to gain credibility with anyone here. I don't know everything about this topic, nobody does. I do my own thinking and research, and make my own decisions and figure out my risk tolerance regarding my diet.

That's what others do too. I don't think anyone is stupid for what they choose and why they choose it, it's their life.

So, there you go.

ETA:

I know that there is a ton of credible research on the topic, because I have read and explored it extensively.

I'm not trying to publish a paper on it, simply saying that it is out there. Do your own research if you want, or don't, I don't care.

I voted in your poll, and I eat what I want.

Everybody's calling someone's choice , that is based on significant effort and research is totally . People who think they are authorities on a subject who aren't is , and is an epidemic.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:30:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Wat????? I raise jumbo Cornish x's, and let me tell ya, those fuxkers do not forage for shit. They stand next to the feeder and wait for more food. If you didn't ration their food they would eat themselves to death.

What else do you wanna know about chickens? I have a bunch of red stars, Wyandotte's, etc as hens running around. We can talk about layers next if you want to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wat????? I raise jumbo Cornish x's, and let me tell ya, those fuxkers do not forage for shit. They stand next to the feeder and wait for more food. If you didn't ration their food they would eat themselves to death.

What else do you wanna know about chickens? I have a bunch of red stars, Wyandotte's, etc as hens running around. We can talk about layers next if you want to.

Wyandotte's are such beautiful birds! But from now on I'm getting sex links cause I can't have roosters in town. I've had as many as 7 chickens but really 2 is a good number. For me, for now.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:32:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? Oh. I never used it that way. My bad.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:21:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Give a cornish cross the chance to feed on grain or forage. Let me know what it does...
View Quote

Our Cornish Cross foraged the F out of the back yard. They had great lives. Maybe you got the stupid and lazy ones.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:27:33 AM EDT
[#32]
If you think it's a scam, go spend some time with a farm that is trying to gain certification. I've worked in certified, conventional and transitioning crop farms. The amount of labor involved on certified farms compared to conventional is huge and could justify the price difference alone. Not to mention the extra record keeping and product loss.

99.9% people commenting on this post have never stepped foot on a certified farm. Yet you're all convinced it's a scam. Typical GD.

You can argue the benefits of "organic" all you want. I have zero expertise in that area.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:59:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

But it makes them feel all warm and fuzzy. A fool and their money......
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:45:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Is this our daily thread where the underdogs of Arfcom get to revel in their secret knowledge and superior intellect as an affront to those stinky, college educated liberal hipsters that do things differently than we do?  Check.

I'm not sure why other peoples' shopping habits cause so much consternation in the minds of gun owners.  I buy some organic food, mostly I try to buy from local markets when the season allows.  Some of that "high falutin' organic shit" sold at the specialty stores is significantly better.  Whether or not that's because it's organic or simply because a specialty store has a different distributor or they get fresher deliveries Or whatever is really immaterial to me.  It tastes better and it actually doesn't cost too much more.

'Course, I don't have the book-learnin' smarts that y'all have so I'm probably just a victim of government approved labeling practices anyway.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 6:46:14 AM EDT
[#35]
The organic food movement is silly but there is NO DOUBT that your soil will benefit from the addition of organic matter.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The organic food movement is silly but there is NO DOUBT that your soil will benefit from the addition of organic matter.
View Quote

And good soil makes healthy plants that resist disease and pests better on their own. I don't ever let ground stay bare in mine. I have enough room to rotate in cover crops and move stuff around every year. I don't ever spray anything. There are some losses but I just accept that and plan for it. I don't fight losing battles though, like trying to grow tomatoes in this climate with perfect conditions for blight. Part of it is also not being anal about eating stuff with a little bug hole here and there.

If you look at various deer plot seed mixes some of them are great covers with legumes, clover, grasses, etc. and they cost a lot less than "cover crop" seeds.

Also, it helps not to leave your crop plants sticking out like a sore thumb.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you think it's a scam, go spend some time with a farm that is trying to gain certification. I've worked in certified, conventional and transitioning crop farms. The amount of labor involved on certified farms compared to conventional is huge and could justify the price difference alone. Not to mention the extra record keeping and product loss.

99.9% people commenting on this post have never stepped foot on a certified farm. Yet you're all convinced it's a scam. Typical GD.

You can argue the benefits of "organic" all you want. I have zero expertise in that area.
View Quote

So more labor makes the food magically better?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
And good soil makes healthy plants that resist disease and pests better on their own. I don't ever let ground stay bare in mine. I have enough room to rotate in cover crops and move stuff around every year. I don't ever spray anything. There are some losses but I just accept that and plan for it. I don't fight losing battles though, like trying to grow tomatoes in this climate with perfect conditions for blight. Part of it is also not being anal about eating stuff with a little bug hole here and there.

If you look at various deer plot seed mixes some of them are great covers with legumes, clover, grasses, etc. and they cost a lot less than "cover crop" seeds.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc111/mycologist/garden%202015/P8260031%20copy_zpsnlalps6v.jpg~original
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc111/mycologist/garden%202015/P8260031%20copy_zpsnlalps6v.jpg~original
You need to weed that garden.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, love does. Duh.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#41]
My wife is a doctor in plant and animal genetics. She says the organic thing is total bullshit and thievery. They have no standards while the traditional growers are tested like crazy. They don't use hormones like people think. Just antibiotics only when needed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This chick I know on FB who has a roadside produce stand when asked about organic produce, shows pics of the side by side comparison. She said no one would buy the organic stuff from her.

It didn't look bad, but the other stuff look great in comparison. I couldn't tell if they were her pics of not, but I figured she knew more about it than me.
View Quote

If it looks like the fake produce you'd see in a furniture store, don't eat it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#43]

I don't know about a hoax, but it's making $$ off people not practicing 'buyer beware.'

In beef, you have to have separate pasture, which looks like shit because you can't spray to kill the weeds that compete with the grass.  And the toxic ones like horsenettle and parilla mint.  You really can't hay it either.

If the animal gets pinkeye, and you doctor it, out it goes from the organic herd.  Or, you could just let it lose the eye and get the organic markup.  You essentially have to have 2 herds, one organic protocol, and one conventional.  Organic doesn't finish with near the yield of conventional, and the labor and inputs are much more, so consumer is going to pay for it.  Apparently, consumers think what they get is worth more than just the increased inputs.  I don't know, I just eat the beef off our place, but I've seen organic animals that look like they have one foot in the grave.  No thanks.

If you think 'organic' is a hoax, just look up Certified Angus Beef and the requirements to get the sticker on your package.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Why are people so worried about what other people eat?  This is the second or third thread I've seen recently on a similar subject.  I always find it funny too that the ones calling BS on Organic, Gluten, etc usually tend to be out of shape junk food eaters.  I personally find most of the organic stuff to be BS but why do I care what others choose to spend their money on and eat.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Get thee to the Whole Foods at Maple and Coolidge!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Endless babes in yoga pants you say?

Shit, I'll have to go shop there

Get thee to the Whole Foods at Maple and Coolidge!

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#46]
the women at whole foods are ridiculous Yoga pants...............Yoga pants everywhere
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
the women at whole foods are ridiculous Yoga pants...............Yoga pants everywhere
View Quote

Dumb and hot sometimes goes together like wine and cheese.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

lol, anyone that just blindly trusts/assumes that some .gov labeling program has their best interest in mind is stupid.

Ultimately, it's up to the consumer to be responsible for what they put in their body. I love seeing carts at the grocery store filled with all organic produce, but also loaded down with junk like wheat bread and other "heart healthy" garbage. Sheeple.

Do your own research, find local and responsible sources for stuff. Yeah it's way more effort and probably more expensive and you will be limited in what you can find -- but not getting the beetus or cancer from eating shitty fucking food is worth it.

Lies

GD assures me there is no difference.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Lies  

GD assures me there is no difference.

View Quote

God I love statements like this.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Why are people so worried about what other people eat?  This is the second or third thread I've seen recently on a similar subject.  I always find it funny too that the ones calling BS on Organic, Gluten, etc usually tend to be out of shape junk food eaters.  I personally find most of the organic stuff to be BS but why do I care what others choose to spend their money on and eat.
View Quote
Same reason they are worried about what other people earn, save, own, drive, etc. A decade plus of being a member here has taught me that Arfcom members are the self-proclaimed center of conservative/libertarian ideals, yet most are really just as jealous/envious as the liberals they berate and despise.

Now, one could make the argument that societally we should be concerned about what other people [who are members of our society]  eat since America's slide into socialism means more and more we (those who actually have positive tax liabilities) communally are shouldering the financial burden for the cost of people's poor dietary decisions via higher rates of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity, etc. and the higher healthcare costs to care for those individuals. But that argument is a very dangerous, and slippery slope, because it then isn't a far stretch to apply the same logic to other "societal maladies" such as injuries/deaths from firearms.  

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top