Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Soon
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you very much - I found a coworker who lives near by who has experience, but if he has to back out I will hit you up!
Soon
Yes indeed, very soon, sir, very soon.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:  Further exposing my lack of knowledge, would this be a good starter lower kit?

https://palmettostatearmory.com/palmetto-state-armory-classic-lower-build-kit-29040.html
View Quote
That would do fine.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Great job.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Great job.
View Quote
Bump for freedom!!!

Link Posted: 9/3/2018 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#5]
What's interesting is when I expressed an interest is how many people here and elsewhere popped up and said "let me help!" This is going to be fun.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Bump
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Let the games begin. Can't swear to the 90 day window, but I'm working on it.

PS, wife's old nightgown, converted to a shop rag.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:  Let the games begin. Can't swear to the 90 day window, but I'm working on it.

https://i.imgur.com/g7sqqJX.jpg

PS, wife's old nightgown, converted to a shop rag.
View Quote
Outstanding!  Might want to go read up on the Sabre Defense lowers here:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/2047298_-300-AR-thread-for-Summer-.html  Look particularly for posts by @SinistralRifleman .
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I have some members on my web forum who contacted me and are sending various parts, and some local buddies who I vaguely knew they did the AR build thing. I am suspecting I may be able to put this together for a minimal investment due to all these wonderful people jumping up with "Hey, I have an extra X and Z, and he has two Ys, we can send 'em to you if you like!"
I really didn't get what "stripped" meant - never saw a stock without a buttplate
As I have at least two buddies local who build ARs who have said they will help, I think I won't jack it up. I'm the kind of guy who is as mechanical as an old shoe, but hey, I will do my damndest!
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 10:01:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I've tested an ordinary rifle slip-on buttpad on one of those lower stocks, and it'll work fine, and add a little LOP.  $10 or so @ WalMart.  Some folks shorten them, @BIgDAM did a nice pink one for his daughter.  I chopped one up to a pistol lower, ugly, but it works.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:  Ladies and gentlemen, this is how it's done.  IM me your LGS contact info, and I'll get this back to Trinity Ordnance to ship via express turtle.
View Quote
Naga - stopped by Trinity Ordnance this evening, the shipping lady confirmed your lower has shipped.  Apparently took some time to get a copy of your FFL's FFL.  She said she threw in a little lagniappe for ya.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#12]
First parts arrived today, just a carbine buffer and spring, plus some odds and ends. The trickle will turn into a flood.
BTW, do they sell detents and spring by themselves? I was given a safety selector and bolt catch without detent or springs...good place to look?
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Some more parts showed up, Aero upper and handguard, no barrel or BCG. Does the barrel come with the gas system or is that seperate? I have at least one buddy around here with a barrel vise, I think, if that's needed - not sure what is needed for the upper. Got a trigger/disconnector/spring/pin, and a hammer/spring/pin. So once i get the plastic headed hammer and 1/8" pin punch, (Both at local Ace Hardware, waiting for payday), then I can at least put that in. Have to get some other small parts - I have a bolt catch by itself, no pin or spring with it yet,  not sure what else I am missing...but I think I will find out.

What is that tool looking thing?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#16]
A bbl nut wrench.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#17]
@armoredman - Where in AZ are you at approximately?  What all are you lacking in the way of parts?

The barrel is bought separately from the gas tube and gas block.  As said, that tool is for your barrel nut.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@armoredman - Where in AZ are you at approximately?  What all are you lacking in the way of parts?

The barrel is bought separately from the gas tube and gas block.  As said, that tool is for your barrel nut.  
View Quote
Arizona City. If you look on a map, and see Casa Grande; picture CG taking a leak - where it splashes is AZ City. Itty bitty burg without even a gas station.
Parts I am lacking right now for the lower is the bolt stop spring and pin, and all the parts for the mag catch. I think. I think the FCG is complete - just need the tools to put it together, and I can get those at ACE. I was really surprised watching that video, (thank you to that member, forgive me, can't remember his screen name), and saying, DAYUM, is it that easy?
But this Aero upper is not going to be that easy, I think.
Am I the only one posting pics/reports so far?
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#19]
So far.  The bolt hold open is a luxury, and you can make it go bang without a mag catch.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 12:12:41 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm in the valley but if you can meet me somewhere in the middle I have a Stag LPK that is minus the trigger group that you can have.  It will give you the take down pins, detents, and springs that you're missing.

Shoot me a IM or @ me when you reply so I don't forget about this thread.

Edit:  I don't know what all you have coming but I also have an extra A2 FH you can have.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:47:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm in the valley but if you can meet me somewhere in the middle I have a Stag LPK that is minus the trigger group that you can have.  It will give you the take down pins, detents, and springs that you're missing.

Shoot me a IM or @ me when you reply so I don't forget about this thread.

Edit:  I don't know what all you have coming but I also have an extra A2 FH you can have.
View Quote
That's about it, and I would be grateful indeed - IM sent.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#22]
All of my CZ people are going to be aghast...going to the AR side...
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Should we make this a general parts thread, or keep this a lower only thread and start a separate parts thread?  Keep shipping on the donor, or allow recipient to pick up shipping?
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Should we make this a general parts thread, or keep this a lower only thread and start a separate parts thread?  Keep shipping on the donor, or allow recipient to pick up shipping?
View Quote
Might as well do it as a general parts that way if someone has a lower or something and can't afford a random part, someone else may be able to help them out and get them a working gun. It's really your call though OP
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 10:59:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:. Might as well do it as a general parts that way if someone has a lower or something and can't afford a random part, someone else may be able to help them out and get them a working gun. It's really your call though OP
View Quote
I'm thinking that's the way it's evolving anyway.

What about shipping?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:25:51 AM EDT
[#26]
I apologize if I bumped this the wrong direction.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:04:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Not at all.  Threads evolve.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Lower received from backbencher. Game on!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:47:21 PM EDT
[#29]
The castle nut is laginappe from Trinity Ordnance.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 1:11:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Made an executive decision - parts are gonna go in the following thread.  See new Rule 11:

11 - Donated parts other than lowers now go in this thread, as of 13 Sept 2018:  https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/That-Every-Man-Be-Armed-Free-AR-parts-Please-contribute-your-old-parts-/5-2146304/
View Quote
You're still welcome to include parts WITH the lower you donate; separate parts should go in the other thread.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm in for one. I would love to build one for my daughter

@only1asterisk
View Quote
Not sure if @only1asterisk responded to you or not, but I have a noticeably-blemished-but-otherwise-completely-serviceable Palmetto stripped lower you could use.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not sure if @only1asterisk responded to you or not, but I have a noticeably-blemished-but-otherwise-completely-serviceable Palmetto stripped lower you could use.
View Quote
I've send out both my lowers already.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 4:18:06 AM EDT
[#34]
This be her. Not a looker but otherwise sound.

Was planning on building a loaner, but this seems like a better cause.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 5:22:00 AM EDT
[#35]
I would like to have one of these lowered I will.build it for my disabled brother who was injured while serving in the USAF
To get him out shooting again. A sport he always loved but now can’t afford

Thanks for considering me
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 5:57:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Great idea
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 6:15:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This be her. Not a looker but otherwise sound.

https://i.imgur.com/Gj39xGtl.jpg

Was planning on building a loaner, but this seems like a better cause.
View Quote
If you have not found a person for it yet
Inwould like to have it.
I will build a rifle for my disabled brother. He was hurt while on active duty in the USAF and no long shoots with the family becuase "he does not have his own gun" kI have most of the parts to do the build sonthe 90 days is no issue.
It would be great to see himm back shooting with the  family.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 6:38:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A bbl nut wrench.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
A bbl nut wrench.
Quoted:
Some more parts showed up, Aero upper and handguard, no barrel or BCG. Does the barrel come with the gas system or is that seperate? I have at least one buddy around here with a barrel vise, I think, if that's needed - not sure what is needed for the upper. Got a trigger/disconnector/spring/pin, and a hammer/spring/pin. So once i get the plastic headed hammer and 1/8" pin punch, (Both at local Ace Hardware, waiting for payday), then I can at least put that in. Have to get some other small parts - I have a bolt catch by itself, no pin or spring with it yet,  not sure what else I am missing...but I think I will find out.

https://i.imgur.com/Y4AOB38.jpg

What is that tool looking thing?
To elaborate on this.

The square hole is for attaching a torque wrench, similar to how one would use a crow’s foot socket. The nubs on it fit into the barrel nut. The hand guard won’t be all one piece.  The main part can be slid off (once the small hex nuts are removed) of a smaller piece that threads onto the upper. That tool is for attaching that smaller piece (called a barrel nut). It’s best to use a torque wrench for this, but a breaker bar or ratchet will work.  Make sure to align one of the holes in it with the hole in the upper for the gas tube.

And barrels generally don’t include the gas block and tube, but basic ones are fairly cheap, just make sure to get the right length gas tube for the barrel you choose.

ETA:  afraid I don’t have any spare lowers (actually have more uppers than lowers) but I’m sure I’ve got some spare parts laying around. I’ll see what I’ve got laying around and may put them up in the parts thread.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 6:45:39 AM EDT
[#39]
I need a lower. Have sold everything I had in the last few years to help others and to live. Most people know my story here. I have no rifle at this point and feel naked. I need a lower and can build it.

Thank you OP

ETA: If I get money to start a build and buy a lower soon, I will donate one. Please keep this thread going. Excellent idea!
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Some of y'all need to read Rule 1 carefully.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Bump
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 12:08:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted: Bump
View Quote
You goin to the Mesquite show this weekend?
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
These are the lowers. They are split were it seams up at the magwell or stock area. If they are too much trouble. No biggie. Just there if y'all need them.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/206625/Screenshot_2018-08-24-22-16-06-650258.JPG
View Quote
21 year old girlfriend. Never fired a rifle in her life. I'm looking for something lightweight and cheap to get her started.

I have an LPK already, and a ban era upper, just need the lower.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Bump
Thinking about it. You?
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 12:19:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:  Thinking about it. You?
View Quote
Uncle has me tied up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Uncle has me tied up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Thinking about it. You?
Uncle has me tied up.
Bummer.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Man, I am tempted to ask for a lower and lower parts to build my neighbor a rifle. He's medically retired from the Army. He had an IED go off and really fucked him up. He's had like 35 surgeries. Hes crazy as fuck and I just like the guy a lot. He has 6 kids  and is a great father. I think he has an AR but I'm sure he'd love another. I just can't afford to buy the parts to build him one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 12:58:30 AM EDT
[#49]
If anyone has a messed up 80% lower, preferably 6061 aluminum,  I'm game to try bringing it back to life.

Cosmetics don't matter.  Scratches, dents, gouges, miss-drilled holes are fine.  You could have dragged it down a driveway as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:00:39 AM EDT
[#50]
If the FCS well or holes have been drilled or milled, it'll have to go through an FFL, no?
Page / 4
Top Top