BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Even if what Dave_A says is the absolute truth and the BATFE was after this fellow because he's some kind of a "Straw" dealer, no way in hell should we tolerate or say "OK" to these kinds of methods and legal contortions to catch someone they deem a bad guy.  If he truly was a bad guy, then he broke a real law or a bunch of real laws, if he did so they MUST PROVE IT.  

A conviction not related to his supposed bad guy deeds based on "should have known" is pure bullshit, and anyone FOR this kind of stuff deserves it to happen to them ten fold.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
He was a straw dealer.  Had been selling for some time.  He also knew that his buyers were hispanic.  Hell, he took them outside in the parking lot to complete the sale.

You guys SHOULD remember this.  There was a multiple page thread on it at the time.

BTW:  The PROMOTER shut down the show.  Not the police.  good riddance.  Saxet shows were junk.

Our worry is, there is a Federal case on the books that makes us reasonably conclude that we have to racially profile when we sell a gun.  And, if we get it wrong, we can go to jail.

Private citizens cannot racially profile.  For that matter, they cannot violate civil rights.  That's appiles only to govt employees.

You can refuse a sale for any reason you want to dream up.  Wrong color socks? Go for it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

And if the government would make a more secure form of ID, rather than bullshit that you need to be a counterfeit expert to determine the validity of - and that isn't even completely 'secure' if it IS real, because it can be obtained with fake documents that are also very easy to fake...

Then you would have such a thing...

ACtually, both  the TX chl and DL come with new security features.
Besides watermarks and such, it also has your birth date on your picture,
The one on your pic is raised (embossed, similar to a credit card, but a little less)
And the date listed with the other info is 2 tone, the left side of the letters are red, the right side is blue.

NOt sure if they fit the federal definition of secure ID cards. but much harder to fake than the old ones.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You can refuse a sale for any reason you want to dream up.  Wrong color socks? Go for it.

if i see a banger or someone that looks like a banger approaching to look at a gun i am selling, i'll take the price off my gunbox  and tell them it's $400 more than it's worth..
if they still still want it i'll make up another reason.. it's the beauty of not being in business..
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He was a straw dealer.  Had been selling for some time.  He also knew that his buyers were hispanic.  Hell, he took them outside in the parking lot to complete the sale.

You guys SHOULD remember this.  There was a multiple page thread on it at the time.

BTW:  The PROMOTER shut down the show.  Not the police.  good riddance.  Saxet shows were junk.

Our worry is, there is a Federal case on the books that makes us reasonably conclude that we have to racially profile when we sell a gun.  And, if we get it wrong, we can go to jail.

Private citizens cannot racially profile.  For that matter, they cannot violate civil rights.  That's appiles only to govt employees.

Then, based on the article, why was he convicted?

I ain't getting this one.

Plus, you can be prosecuted for civil rights violations whether you are a private citizen or governmental entity, etc.

The classic examples were the KKK prosecutions decades ago.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Don't let hispanics into the fucking gun show then, WTF???

That's racist. Avoid only the ones with sombreros, bullet bandoleers, huge mustaches, and a stubborn refusal to wear the badge that you offer them. Like this guy.

Anyone else, they're okay, you can sell to them. Ignore the wire coming out of their shoe, and the five white guys with sunglasses that are pretending not to be watching you for the last three hours.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Even if what Dave_A says is the absolute truth and the BATFE was after this fellow because he's some kind of a "Straw" dealer, no way in hell should we tolerate or say "OK" to these kinds of methods and legal contortions to catch someone they deem a bad guy.  If he truly was a bad guy, then he broke a real law or a bunch of real laws, if he did so they MUST PROVE IT.  

A conviction not related to his supposed bad guy deeds based on "should have known" is pure bullshit, and anyone FOR this kind of stuff deserves it to happen to them ten fold.

agreed.. Ends do not justify the means.  I choose Jefferson over Machiavelli
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
And the moral of the story is to not sell to anyone who looks or acts like a forigner,hang out with them even with proper ID,anyone whines about it refer them to this precedent the feds set

Forced racism, brought to you by the obama justice department.

This is my shocked face.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#10]
holy shit, I remember when this went down.

IIRC, there was a big hullabaloo over the ATF leaning on the show promoter to ban private FTF sales of firearms on the premises.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:44:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
On the f*cked up scale of 1-10, this story ranks about a 3 million.

ATF has their own scale. Its not fair to use a regular one.  

Well, DAVE A thinks it's kosher....
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They put an FBI agent in prison for selling a gun to a deputy who then sold to some mexicans and for buying a couple of glocks at LE price and reselling them.

Most other folks posting that would require a citation.  

Knowing you is good enough for me to believe you.

TXL

Happened in El Paso TX. Guy sold a 50 cal to a deputy who then sold it some mexicans and it was later found in mexico.

i remember that, but it was far more guns IIRC

ETA: this it?? http://www.correctionsone.com/arrests-and-sentencing/articles/2555352-Ex-FBI-agent-gets-2-years-in-Texas-gun-selling-case/
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:50:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
holy shit, I remember when this went down.

IIRC, there was a big hullabaloo over the ATF leaning on the show promoter to ban private FTF sales of firearms on the premises.

the gun show lost its regular location as the Local PD pressured the renter to no longer allow that location to support illegal activities.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#16]
If you sell a gun to an illegal you should have the book thrown at you.  Anyone that lives in a border state can tell illegal Mexicans apart Legal immigrants from Mexico. Yes their language, slang, demeanor, clothing, dental work, grooming, accent all comes it to play.  The differences are as clear as those between Dr Dre and Bryant Gumble.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait - did I understand the prosecution argument correctly?

They are basically saying that he SHOULD have racially profiled the guy, and assumed that he must have been an illegal alien since he spoke Spanish and looked Hispanic?

If he was an unliscensed dealer facilitating straw purchases, they should have set up a sting and busted him for doing THAT, not some bizarre "you should have racially profiled this Hispanic-looking guy" bullshit argument.

Lookie here boys. It's one of them there feriners.

That's the funniest thing about this whole bizarre case.  I'm totally a foreigner, yet nobody thinks so.  I've actually had colleagues I have worked with for years refuse to believe I am not a U.S. citizen until I show them my Green Card.

If I went to buy a gun from a private transaction at the gun show, NOBODY would ever suspect that I am not a U.S. citizen, since I don't have an accent and I pronounce Missouri the correct way.    Plus, I have a Virginia driver's license, Social Security card, etc.

I will never sell you a gun.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I brought up very similar point a couple of months back.

I asked if the states where a face to face firearm sale is legal if anyone thought you could be charged with selling to a felon?

The majority thought they had no responsibility to ask or find out if the person buying the gun was in fact a felon.

This case sets a very dangerous precedent.

If this guy can get convicted of selling to an illegal alien under federal law then any one who sells to a felon (unknowing that he was a felon) can also be charged & convicted.

The govt would argue that the seller could have gone to an FFL who could do the back round check and transfer the weapon then.

I have used this analogy (below) for years in trying to tell people that they could & would be charged if they sold a weapon to a convicted felon (even unknowingly)

Analogy:

Say you are in a bar and see a nice looking girl come in, the bartender proofs her.

She gets served, you have a nice conversation with her.

Things progress nicely and she says  "lets go back to your place"

You say "sure, can I see your ID?" (Yeah I know you wouldn't ask)

She shows you a drivers License that is spot on correct, says she's 23

Now you take her home and bang her brains out.

The next day two local detectives stop by your house and show you the girls drivers license and ask , "do you know this girl?'

You being an honest guy say "sure, I met her last night"

Detectives say, "she said she had consensual sex with you, is this true"

You say "yes we had consensual sex"

They say "sir stand up ands place your hands behind your back your under arrest for statutory rape"

"The girl is 15 and the age of consent is 16 in this state"

You're thinking "She had ID, I can beat this"

No you can't

In almost every state it matters nit what ID she had or where she was when you met her.

The only burden of proof the prosecutor must meet is this:

One, you had sex with her

Two, she was in fact under age at the time you banged her.

Now you're fucked!

For argument sake and the those that will say they wouldn't admit to anything>

The girls statement that she met you and had sex with you and the fact her father took her directly to the ER and they did a rape kit is enough probable cause to get a warrant for you DNA even if you stand silent.

You're fucked again in that scenario too.

Fuck that. By that analogy if some felon goes to a dealer and fills out the paperwork with fake ID and passes every check and buys the gun the dealer is still busted for selling to a felon.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you sell a gun to an illegal you should have the book thrown at you.  Anyone that lives in a border state can tell illegal Mexicans apart Legal immigrants from Mexico. Yes their language, slang, demeanor, clothing, dental work, grooming, accent all comes it to play.  The differences are as clear as those between Dr Dre and Bryant Gumble.

Are you God?

I'm just askin'.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you God?

I'm just askin'.

No.  Just a wizard.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Seller has/had a shitty attorney.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

horribly stupid post snipped out.

You think so, huh?

It's funny, but weren't juries supposed to be made up of one's peers, and not stacked in the prosecution's favor for a predicated outcome? FYI - the latter is how it's done in dictatorships et al.

Try thinking things out next time instead of jerking the knee.

No argument about what juries are supposed to consist of, and not jerking the knee––––but I didn't advocate a felony in my post, either.

You're right.  I was wrong.  I was stupid for posting such a thing.  My apologies to you.  Your reply was thoughtful, mine was the knee jerk reaction.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:00:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Soooo for a gun seller:  hispanic, spanish speaker, in cowboy clothing = proof buyer is illegal.

For Sheriff Joe: hispanic, spanish spkr, cowboy clothing = proof you are racially profiling
WTF?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#28]
So a private citizen was held  remiss and legally culpable because he didn't apply "profiling" of the sort that the government refuses to do ?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Seller has/had a shitty attorney.

Defense attorney- "Give me this guy you got for DWI and I'll give you one later"

Prosecutor- "No problem, you know that guy that sold the gun? I want him."

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#32]
1) were Hispanic, 2) spoke Spanish, and 3) wore cowboy clothing.

Anyone from Texas here?  Anyone ever visited Texas?  Anyone here ever drove through Texas?

This is nothing unusual and no reason to doubt Texan citizenship.

Texas drivers license?  

Well, the jury are assholes.

And so is the judge.

If you don't want foreigners buying guns, don't give them drivers licenses.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#33]
This is why I only sell guns off through my local gun shop. To me it's worth it to pay a 15% commission. What ever money I make ends up going back to the gun shop for another gun anyway.

I end up selling one and buying two more most of the time.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
btw the current police chief is from CHIPS as well

Art Acevedo serves as the eighth Police Chief in the 87-year history of the Austin Police Department and is the first Hispanic to lead the City’s police force. With more than two decades of law enforcement experience, he oversees a department that employs approximately 2,200 sworn officers and civilian personnel. With the consolidation of the Austin Police Department and the Austin Public Safety and Emergency Management Department in January 2009, Acevedo is now responsible for all municipal law enforcement in the City of Austin, including Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, parks, and municipal courts.

Chief Acevedo began his professional career in law enforcement with the California Highway Patrol in 1986, bringing a well-established commitment to community outreach and coalition building to Austin. He strives to establish strong community relationships throughout the city with the goal of strengthening the relationship between the people of Austin and their Police Department. Chief Acevedo leads by example with a strong sense of community involvement through his own personal time and resources.

Chief Acevedo has been a leader with the National Latino Peace Officers Association (NLPOA) for over 20 years. In his NLPOA capacity, he has been a champion for diversity by traveling throughout the United States to assist qualified minorities in law enforcement secure entry-level and promotional opportunities. In addition, he has raised monies to provide scholarships to young people. As NLPOA California State Chapter President, he secured $200,000 in grant funding from State Farm Insurance Company to provide car-seats to families in need. This funding has also been used to assist local NLPOA Chapters.

Born in Havana, Cuba, Acevedo migrated to the United States with his family in 1968 in search of freedom and the opportunities to be found in America. He grew up in California, and earned his Bachelor of Science degree, with departmental honors, in Public Administration from the University of La Verne. He is married to Tanya and is the father of three children, Melissa, Matthew and Jake.

Appointed Austin Police Chief in July 2007, Chief Acevedo believes in the spirit of our community and the commitment to excellence demonstrated by the men and women he leads.

Did anyone check the chief's green card?  Is HE a citizen?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/police/images/chiefacevedo.jpg

Art Acevedo serves as the eighth Police Chief in the 87-year history of the Austin Police Department and is the first Hispanic to lead the City’s police force. With more than two decades of law enforcement experience, he oversees a department that employs approximately 2,200 sworn officers and civilian personnel. With the consolidation of the Austin Police Department and the Austin Public Safety and Emergency Management Department in January 2009, Acevedo is now responsible for all municipal law enforcement in the City of Austin, including Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, parks, and municipal courts.

Chief Acevedo began his professional career in law enforcement with the California Highway Patrol in 1986, bringing a well-established commitment to community outreach and coalition building to Austin. He strives to establish strong community relationships throughout the city with the goal of strengthening the relationship between the people of Austin and their Police Department. Chief Acevedo leads by example with a strong sense of community involvement through his own personal time and resources.

Chief Acevedo has been a leader with the National Latino Peace Officers Association (NLPOA) for over 20 years. In his NLPOA capacity, he has been a champion for diversity by traveling throughout the United States to assist qualified minorities in law enforcement secure entry-level and promotional opportunities. In addition, he has raised monies to provide scholarships to young people. As NLPOA California State Chapter President, he secured $200,000 in grant funding from State Farm Insurance Company to provide car-seats to families in need. This funding has also been used to assist local NLPOA Chapters.

Born in Havana, Cuba, Acevedo migrated to the United States with his family in 1968 in search of freedom and the opportunities to be found in America. He grew up in California, and earned his Bachelor of Science degree, with departmental honors, in Public Administration from the University of La Verne. He is married to Tanya and is the father of three children, Melissa, Matthew and Jake.

Appointed Austin Police Chief in July 2007, Chief Acevedo believes in the spirit of our community and the commitment to excellence demonstrated by the men and women he leads.

Fuck this guy

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#36]
But let me ask this...

If the Huerta's were being followed around, presumably because the LEO's knew they were not US citizens, why were they not arrested at the get go? Aliens attempting to illegally purchase guns.

Or was this not really just entrapment, an excuse to close the gun show, and to put the fear of ATF into any gun sellers?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/police/images/chiefacevedo.jpg

Did anyone check the chief's green card?  Is HE a citizen?  

There's no such thing as an illegal Cuban...

So he's at a minimum a legal, perminant-resident immigrant...

And shouldn't have had much trouble becoming a US Citizen.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

But let me ask this...

If the Huerta's were being followed around, presumably because the LEO's knew they were not US citizens, why were they not arrested at the get go? Aliens attempting to illegally purchase guns.

Or was this not really just entrapment, an excuse to close the gun show, and to put the fear of ATF into any gun sellers?

They were confidential informants, and it's not entrapment...

Entrapment involves an agent of the government trying to badger you into committing a crime you were not pre-disposed to commit...

This guy was obviously pre-disposed to sell guns to folks who are prohibited.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:17:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Honestly, between the ATF actively going after essentially law abiding citizens, and the Justice Department giving preferential treatment to illegal aliens over citizens, this is ****ing insane. Add this into all the rest of the injustices going on, even those only targeting gun owners, and if "go time" hasn't already come and gone it never will. You're in a bad divorce and your ex-wife has a grudge? 'He hit me,' boom your guns are gone. You're trying to make some cash at a gun show? 'Here's my license Mr. Thanks.' Boom, felony, your guns are gone. You walk up to a suspicious parked car in front of your business? Boom, you're dead.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Holy fucking moses, what the fuck kind of stupid fucking bullshit is this shit.  I hope this goes all the way to the supreme court.

ETA:  Ok, my WTF is a bit less if this guy regularly operates a table at a gun show and "advertises" verbally that he can get you a gun w/o paperwork.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I live in Austin

I was born in Austin

Let me explain

This town was a town, now it is a CITY and slowly turning into a piece of shit because every Californian that can gets the fuck out of that state and runs to Texas because the jobs are here and the cost of living is cheap. I could go on but

After speaking with many cops in APD most of them seem to hate ART "piece of shit" ACEVEDO

he turns down people that have "great knowledge and real life experience for pussy as straight out of college frat boys that end up fucking everything up" - quote from APD officer during a discussion we had after I got pulled over (I talked my way out of that ticket )
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
But let me ask this...

They were confidential informants, and it's not entrapment...

Entrapment involves an agent of the government trying to badger you into committing a crime you were not pre-disposed to commit...

This guy was obviously pre-disposed to sell guns to folks who are prohibited.

Except that he didn't commit a crime at all.  The law says you can't KNOWINGLY sell to a prohibited person.

Their argument was that he should be convicted on a point of law that doesn't exist.

I'm no lawyer, but his conviction looks like an easy overturn to me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Here is the Federal Guidelines:

Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?
A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Q: Are there certain persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms and/or ammunition?
Yes, a person who —

1.Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;
2.Is a fugitive from justice;
3.Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;
4.Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;
5.Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;
6.Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
7.Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;
8.Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner; or
9.Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
10.Cannot lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.
A person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year cannot lawfully receive a firearm.

Such person may continue to lawfully possess firearms obtained prior to the indictment or information.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g) and (n), 27 CFR 478.32]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

Q: Are there certain persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms and/or ammunition?
Yes, a person who —

1.Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;
4.Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;
5.Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;
7.Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;
8.Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner; or
A person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year cannot lawfully receive a firearm.

Such person may continue to lawfully possess firearms obtained prior to the indictment or information.

So it sounds like he could be guilty of breaking Federal law.  But he was convicted under a Texas statute in State court?

eta: Of course, I don't buy the idea that cowboy hat + brown skin = reason to suspect that a person is an illegal immigrant.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Guys, is there a link to the case or case number on this one?

Just searched the Texas Western District for all of Sam Spark's cases and there are none with "Gun" or "Copeland" in them for 2000-2010 that are relevant.  There was another case heard on 7/20/2010...

Court Doc Search Linky

JAMES STRONG vs. ARTHROCARE CORPORATION
Date Court Case No. Judge
07/20/2010 Texas Western District 1:08-CV-00574 Sam Sparks

Description
ORDER GRANTING IN PART AND DENYING IN PART [166] Motion to Dismiss ; GRANTING [168] Motion to Dismiss ; GRANTING IN PART AND DENYING IN PART [169] Motion to Dismiss ; GRANTING [170] Motion to Dismiss ; GRANTING [171] Motion to Dismiss ; GRANTING IN P

only one with "Copeland" in the tile:

NATASHA COPELAND vs. CITY OF KILLEEN
07/08/2010 Texas Western District 1:10-CV-00338 Sam Sparks

Description
ORDER GRANTING [4] Motion to Transfer Case. Case Transferred to TXWD - Waco Division. Signed by Judge Sam Sparks. (jk, )

only one with "gun":

Celestine v. United States
06/18/2001 Texas Western District N/A Sam Sparks

Description
Order granting motion to suppress. Gun found in trunk of defendant's car, searched when car was impounded following full custodial arrest for civil offense of drinking one beer in parking lot of 7-Eleven. HELD –– full custodial arrest of defendant for fine-only, civil offese with no breach of the peace violated Fourth Amendment. Also HELD –– arrest constituted an "extreme practice."

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Austin Police are scum of the highest order and have been since they brought in a California police chief  IIRC back in the early 90's. sorry for any of you good cops trapped there.

The police chief in Austin is a cheese dick and was hired about 2-3 years ago.

Hey, Bama, don't hold back.  Tell us what your really think about the APD Cheif.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:18:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
But now they are muddying the waters and it is getting dangerous to sell to a stranger, even though technically it is not against the law to do so.

Their argument is that someone is "in the business" of selling firearms they are required to have a license...but how many sales constitutes being "in the business"?

The short version is that there's no definitive answer to that question. It's a determination the BATFE can make based on their interests.

True, there is no real hard number, like you sell 6 guns and you're ok but 7 makes you a dealer.  Actually the ATF doesn't look and how many guns you sell, but rather how many you buy then quickly sell.  The crime is not selling guns, but dealing guns, which is buying then selling on a regular basis.

If you had a personal collection of 200 guns that you've owned for years and decided to start selling them to pay off bills, you could rent tables at gun shows and sell them all and the ATF couldn't touch you.  It's when you are regularly buying guns, then turning around and selling them in a short period of time (weeks or months) that the ATF considers you are "engaging in the business" and need an FFL.

Look, if you bought a new car to drive around every year or two, then sold it when you bought a new one, you're not a car dealer.  But if every month you bought a car just to turn around and sell it a month later, then you ARE a car dealer.

Over the last few decades I've been to gun shows in Texas, and specifically Saxet (Texas spelled backwards, in case you didn't know) shows, and I saw a lot of regular sellers at their tables with professionally made plastic signs proclaiming "No Paperwork" and it always gave me the willies.

I don't know the details of this case.  But from the report posted here I do know that there is a whole lot of info here being left out.  I think he was one of those guys, and the number guns he was buying and then selling was way over anything that could be considered "collecting for personal use."  I also think this whole hispanic issue is just a smoke screen.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, a person who —

So it sounds like he could be guilty of breaking Federal law.  But he was convicted under a Texas statute in State court?

eta: Of course, I don't buy the idea that cowboy hat + brown skin = reason to suspect that a person is an illegal immigrant.

As we frequently encounter with most firearm laws, it's very vague and up to interpretation. This is how the BATF gets away with what they get away with.  What does "reasonable" mean when it comes to believing that a person is on the prohibited list? I would say if they have a Texas drivers license, that means they presented the required documentation to the Dept of Public Safety to obtain that drivers license. Does DPS give a drivers license to someone that cannot produce documentation that shows they are in the US legally? I'm guessing no.

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#49]
HaHaHa, so it's okay to require "reasonable suspicion" when it suits their needs but when it's to keep the stupid illegals out of the country Libtards and XPCustom get their panties in a bunch and scream Racist. People make me sick.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know what is going to happen next, right?  Gun dealers will refuse to sell guns to anybody that looks hispanic because they are scared top death they are going to be arrested.  Instead, they will be sued for a civil rights violation and just lose their business instead.

BTW, the guy in this story ended up getting 6 months in a work camp.

Has nothing to do with real gun dealers, they have the 4473 and instant check.

Now I wonder if I'm safe even after the PICS/NICS call and approval.

What if the ID is Stolen ?

What if the ATF says "the guy was a felon" and he passed the BR check anyway?

Can they arrest me?

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top