Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#1]
As a (not very popular) youtuber myself I support this. And you should too.

She can make some serious cash.

My channel isn't very popular at all and it generates a couple hundred bucks a year just being there.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag94/vaw121/image_zpsafkeejcm.jpeg

This was at 12. I use his passion for what he does as a carrot to encourage good grades, kids a straight A student. Made him buy his own graphics card and do the build on his own.

Now it's like having my own IT department.
View Quote

Well done

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:45:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Maybe it would be safer if you let her make her films, but only upload them to your computer for the family and close friends to view. There are a lot of sick people in the world.
View Quote

Doesn't youtube have privacy settings?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Maybe it would be safer if you let her make her films, but only upload them to your computer for the family and close friends to view. There are a lot of sick people in the world.
View Quote

This. Not to mention comment sections. Youtube can be almost as bad as 4chan for trolls. People may come upon her videos and be incredibly ugly in the comment sections. I don't know if you can disable them or not, but if you can't then I would think really hard about what people's trolling comments can do to an 11 year old self-esteem. I would encourage the hobby but find another outlet for it.

I have to get on my son all the time about getting on youtube without permission. He is 9 and doesn't understand that there is some highly inappropriate stuff on there for a kid his age. Much of it is wrapped up to be kid friendly and is far from it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Properly handled, it would be an excellent learning experience for her, and possibly the foundation for a very lucrative profession.

You and your wife could spend your final years in a luxurious home with servants rather than in a nursing facility.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#6]
My 6yo uploads stuff about his transformers, legos and nerf guns.

Sounds like what your daughters doing is pretty harmless. When she starts posting herself and dancing in front of the camera, then its time for a talk and some parental controls.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:01:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Why does your 11 year old need a cell phone?

We didn't get my son one until he got a job. He's 16 and works at a pizzeria. He too makes YouTube videos but my wife and I just kind of let him do his thing.
View Quote

My 11 and 12 year old daughters have cell phones for when they are involved in after school activities. It's not like you can give a kid a few quarters and tell her to use a pay phone anymore.

OP, I agree with the other posters about getting involved and encouraging her creative side.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Found out tonight that my (almost 11 year old) daughter has a.... cell phone.....a new laptop.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Good luck OP, I'm not sure how i would handle that, but she would be loose for phone for a while.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#10]
FYI OP it's possible to make money off Youtube if your videos are getting lots of traffic.

Monitor things of course but this could be something she has a future with.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:19:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Found out tonight that my (almost 11 year old) daughter has a YouTube channel and has been posting videos online for about a month now.

She has been making video with her cell phone camera for several months now and she's been asking me if she can post them on YouTube. Apparently she figured out how to do it herself.

They are mostly short 5 to 10 minute long skits using her My Little Ponies or Littlest Pet Shop toys, or reviews of the new toys that she has bought, and a couple of cat videos. A few of them are pretty creative, she even used her mom and grandma's phones to shoot B and C-roll footage to use as a news broadcast in the main video.  

I know that she has been interested in making short movies for a while and has been asking me to get her a video editing program. She needs a new laptop to run it though. I guess I'll have to get on that.

Not sure how I feel about this whole uploading stuff to YouTube without my permission though.  

And no, I'm not posting any links to her channel for you pervs.  
View Quote

What no Shopkins? Pffft.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Luckily, so far all of her videos only have a few views and comments and they all appear to be other kids at this point.  

Anybody know if YouTube has some sort of setting to track or control this kind of stuff?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If I were you I would be monitoring the FUCK out of that. For the simple reason (in red) above. There are ALOT of freaks out there!

Luckily, so far all of her videos only have a few views and comments and they all appear to be other kids at this point.  

Anybody know if YouTube has some sort of setting to track or control this kind of stuff?
There is no substitute for getting in, getting an account yourself and digging around.

At the very least you should Subscribe to her channel and set all the reminders and emails about it (so you know what is going on with not much effort.)

Realize though, that Youtube comments are something closer to a non-x-rated version of /b/chan than it is GD.  It takes a certain maturity and callousness to deal with it properly. Sooner or later somebody is going to post a bunch of bullshit personal attacks on her, and she needs to be mature enough to handle it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Simple she needs to give you the email and you reset the password.  She only uploads videos when you review them first.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I've never heard of c-roll

I'd just watch her online activity and make sure shes not doing anything bad and that there are no pervs talking to her.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:32:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My channel isn't very popular at all and it generates a couple hundred bucks a year just being there.
View Quote

Explain how the monetization of YouTube works. I know it's all based on number of clicks and advertising views, but how do they trasnfer the cash to the person uploading the videos? Do you have to link a bank account with your YouTube account? Is there some setting that needs to be enabled to do it?

She has a grand total of  9 subscribers to her channel.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#16]
For what it's worth, I would screen the videos and make sure that there aren't any noticeable locations in them.  

I had a call the other day where the complainant was the father of a youtube 'star' who is like 14.  A guy from France had flown to ATL, taken the train / bus north, and walked the rest of the way (he said eight miles) to his home in a gated community.  The guy was walking around the house taking pictures and looking around like it was a tourist attraction.  

After talking with the creepy Frenchman, he found the house in one of the videos, did a google image search, and found the listing of the home when it was for sale.  

Just sayin', lots of creepy dedicated people out there.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Simple she needs to give you the email and you reset the password.  She only uploads videos when you review them first.
View Quote

I have all of her account information.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

By the way, my daughter has become quite adept at video editing and wants to pursue a career in broadcasting. Her interest in that field was piqued by her creating and editing her own content.

View Quote

This is like every teenager now.  My 16yo stepson thinks he's going to be the next big thing, getting famous for posting "entertaining" you tube videos centered around acting like kind of a dork and playing Call of Duty.  The only problem is that like every kid in America is doing this.  They don't understand that they are diluting the talent pool to the point hat nobody will really stand out.  And they don't understand that "making it big" in entertainment is really a roll of the dice vs. "dedication".  Every kid is dedicated to playing Call of Duty and making You Tube videos in the basement at some point lol.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

In one video she used her grandmother's cell phone as the video insert/weather map for a news cast by her ponies. Then recorded the news cast on her mother's phone, and played it back while she recorded the main video with her own phone, as if the one on her mother's phone was a big screen TV being watched by other ponies.  So there were, in fact 3 sets of video being used at the same time.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Explain how the monetization of YouTube works. I know it's all based on number of clicks and advertising views, but how do they trasnfer the cash to the person uploading the videos? Do you have to link a bank account with your YouTube account? Is there some setting that needs to be enabled to do it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The advertising revenue goes through google adsense. You link a bank account (or perhaps they allow paypal or something) and you get regular payouts there. I'm pretty sure it defaults to sending a payment if you pass $100.

As far as how to sign up, back when I did it, it was an invite only thing. You had to have enough videos with enough traffic to make it a worthwhile venture. My channel is small in comparison to some of the big ones, take jacksepticeye as an example.

He's got 6,772,158 subscribers • 2,759,777,438 views.

Me: 124 subscribers • 583,169 views

That said, I'm pretty sure anyone with an account in good standing can apply to the youtube partner program and monetize their videos now. If it interests you, I'd start by researching that a bit. The youtube help files (and google adsense ones) are actually pretty informative.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Wander over to SocialBlade.com, punch in a popular YouTuber, and see what the earning potential is.

I'll pull some for you.

Rosanna Pansino (Nerdy Nummies) - Est. Income/mo $11.5k - $185k
Jenna Marbles - $5k - $85k
BroScience - 1.4k to 22k
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This is like every teenager now.  My 16yo stepson thinks he's going to be the next big thing, getting famous for posting "entertaining" you tube videos centered around acting like kind of a dork and playing Call of Duty.  The only problem is that like every kid in America is doing this.  They don't understand that they are diluting the talent pool to the point hat nobody will really stand out.  And they don't understand that "making it big" in entertainment is really a roll of the dice vs. "dedication".  Every kid is dedicated to playing Call of Duty and making You Tube videos in the basement at some point lol.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By the way, my daughter has become quite adept at video editing and wants to pursue a career in broadcasting. Her interest in that field was piqued by her creating and editing her own content.

Yep. You need to stand out. Like this kid. Up and coming super rich star... If he lives that long.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

We used to play war. We would throw dirt hard chunks and dead 9v batteries at each other.

You gave her a phone smart enough to load videos. She is smart enough to do this. BTW, if she has a YouTube, she also has an email and most likely a few social media accounts as well. And I'm not talking about the ones you know about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a world. At 11 I was playing minibike tag (basically demo derby on 50cc bikes) and lighting shit on fire.

Damn I feel old.

We used to play war. We would throw dirt hard chunks and dead 9v batteries at each other.

You gave her a phone smart enough to load videos. She is smart enough to do this. BTW, if she has a YouTube, she also has an email and most likely a few social media accounts as well. And I'm not talking about the ones you know about.

I would pay special attention to the stuff in red.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Who said I was bitching about her being creative?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why don't you embrace it and help her instead of bitching about her being creative here.

You might learn something together and improve your relationship. You didn't tell her not to be on YouTube did you? If not, she's done nothing wrong.

Wow

Who said I was bitching about her being creative?

OP, I didn't read anything in yuur post that was negative on your daughter's creativity, just a parent being (rightly IMHO) concerned about a young child's interaction over the internet.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a world. At 11 I was playing minibike tag (basically demo derby on 50cc bikes) and lighting shit on fire.

Damn I feel old.

They are smart enough to make sure you will never find out about it.  When we were kids we would go outside to sneak around and do things we weren't supposed to do. Now they do it online.  The one thing I've hammered home to my kids is to never post personal information.  Heck, they figured out on their own that they need anonymous email accounts.  

Best to focus on instilling them with good values and teach them about the dangerous realities rather than a futile effort to shield them from it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

In one video she used her grandmother's cell phone as the video insert/weather map for a news cast by her ponies. Then recorded the news cast on her mother's phone, and played it back while she recorded the main video with her own phone, as if the one on her mother's phone was a big screen TV being watched by other ponies.  So there were, in fact 3 sets of video being used at the same time.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

haha that's awesome. She sounds perfect for a career in broadcasting
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#27]
I
Quoted:

They are smart enough to make sure you will never find out about it.  When we were kids we would go outside to sneak around and do things we weren't supposed to do. Now they do it online.  The one thing I've hammered home to my kids is to never post personal information.  Heck, they figured out on their own that they need anonymous email accounts.  

Best to focus on instilling them with good values and teach them about the dangerous realities rather than a futile effort to shield them from it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn I feel old.

Let them use your laptop when they want.............

That just happens to have a keylogger program installed.....  Accounts and passwords get quietly collected.  

Trust, but VERIFY.   Then be clever about how you "discover" things when they are engaging in potentially dangerous behavior.  My stepdaughter never could figure out my uncanny "instinct" for catching her when she acted in a risky manner.  Even a well behaved angel should be briefly checked on once in a while.  Surprisingly enough the boys (who I EXPECTED to screw up) pretty much behaved.  You never know which ones will stumble off the reservation sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
What no Shopkins? Pffft.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They are mostly short 5 to 10 minute long skits using her My Little Ponies or Littlest Pet Shop toys, or reviews of the new toys that she has bought, and a couple of cat videos. A few of them are pretty creative, she even used her mom and grandma's phones to shoot B and C-roll footage to use as a news broadcast in the main video.  

Not sure how I feel about this whole uploading stuff

What no Shopkins? Pffft.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#29]
EvenTubeHD

My son used to watch him back when he was doing lots of Lego reviews.  For a while he was getting lot of pre-release Lego sets.

He seems to be more into videogames and the production is overly slick now.  But he's making bank: 1.3 Million
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My 6yo uploads stuff about his transformers, legos and nerf guns.

Sounds like what your daughters doing is pretty harmless. When she starts posting herself and dancing in front of the camera, then its time for a talk and some parental controls.
View Quote

I think you want to have the talk BEFORE she starts the posting and dancing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Also you might consider talking to some people who do this type of stuff for a living.

These people: http://loadingreadyrun.com/   make comedy videos online for a living.  They're very down to Earth and personable people.  Email Graham and I'm sure he'd give advice on how to start on the cheap.    
View Quote

Tag!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#32]

What kind of a n00b do you take me for?  
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Is she going to be doing 10 mm gel tests or level 3 armor tests?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. But she does make her own fake pony blood to use in her videos.    
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#35]
In today's day and age a parent MUST monitor their children's internet usage, no matter what it takes.

When our kids were home we had one computer.  I didn't restrict any web pages or anything, but that thing had so many keyloggers and event notifiers on it they couldn't do anything without me finding out.  Then I would have a discussion with the offender if I needed to.

It's not an invasion of privacy, it's all about protecting your little idiots from themselves.  

The stuff I found on the computer carried jail sentences.  If you don't think your special snowflake is doing things like that, you need to take the blinders off.

They have no sense, just like we didn't, when they are young.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#36]
So what's the average views on her videos? Just curious who would watch something like that anyways.
If she only has like 25 views, I wouldn't care for real. If she's getting 10k plus, I helping her all the time.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Look up "CupQuake" on Youtube.

My 7 year old loves her videos. Minecraft and other games she does tutorials and other crap for.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That actually sounds entertaining.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#40]
If she is interested in something that is potentially productive or at least can teach her good skills she can use later on...why not?
I say support her but verify everything she posts is within your guidelines.
I would not punish her for doing it behind your back, at that age she has no idea why it could be a bad thing.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag94/vaw121/image_zpsafkeejcm.jpeg

This was at 12. I use his passion for what he does as a carrot to encourage good grades, kids a straight A student. Made him buy his own graphics card and do the build on his own.

Now it's like having my own IT department.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#42]
My daughter got one when she was 11 as well. She did ask permission, and we keep a close eye on the account.

She just makes stupid videos of herself reviewing various things, and sometimes she makes music videos with our dog. Its all very harmless but the key is to have control over the account so you can always see what is going on.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#43]
I would take active interest in that and ask her to let you review each upload.

Nothing wrong with having a channel and generating some traffic, but you need to make sure she isn't doing foolish things like giving out full names, or addresses, or have anything that might contain sensitive info on papers in the video.

Some of those youtubers go on to make excellent short films, she could be one of them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#44]
It could become lucrative for her in a few years after some practice and more knowledge behind what she is doing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

How much traffic to you generate just to make that few  hundred bucks?

I only ask because I am in a trade that would probably allow me to do instructional videos with regularity.

Aside from the advertising aspect of it for the business, I think people would be generally interested in a lot of it, especially for stuff like basic repairs.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yeah. The Internet is a dangerous place to post videos of oneself or of one's surroundings. Innocent slips, such as accidentally getting some sort of location identifying/personal item in frame, tend to bring out the creeps. Subscribe, watch everything, read all comments, etc. I have always said that raising a boy is better than raising a girl because there is only one dick to worry about. God, not without a sense of humor, has seen fit to give me a girl for my first born due February 2016. Good luck op.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you didn't specifically tell her not to, she really didn't do anything wrong. As far as she would have known, the only think keeping her off youtube was not knowing how to upload.

It's high time for a talk about persec, though. And it's time to start monitoring all her communications. Assume that some adult is going to target her, and just be there over her shoulder when he does. Point him out to her so she knows what she's dealing with and how to ferret them out. Warn her about other girls too. Teach her to lie and to break off communication abruptly. All her life she's been told to be honest and considerate of others feelings, now you need to undo all that so she can handle herself in this context.

Yeah. The Internet is a dangerous place to post videos of oneself or of one's surroundings. Innocent slips, such as accidentally getting some sort of location identifying/personal item in frame, tend to bring out the creeps. Subscribe, watch everything, read all comments, etc. I have always said that raising a boy is better than raising a girl because there is only one dick to worry about. God, not without a sense of humor, has seen fit to give me a girl for my first born due February 2016. Good luck op.

I'm in for the same thing my daughter is only three months....  My wife was posting videos in similar manner.  She would sing songs, read poetry, or film pets to a soundtrack.  A couple got viewed enough for youtube to take notice and offer cash.  She was suspect though and told me that some people where trolls in the comments. I'm just hoping our daughter will find interest in something more techincal or violent.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Give it some time and she could be paying for her college tuition.  Stranger things have happened.

FYI.  My kid loves watching toy reviews and other kids playing with toys on YouTube and has watched the same videos multiple times.  Too bad your little girl doesn't like monster trucks or Godzilla.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#48]
My 8 year olds found my "ancient" Flip video recorder a few weeks ago and have made a few Lego movies. I have thought about making a YouTube channel for them because the love watching similar videos. I've been using iMovie to exit them, but may look into FC soon. I think it's a good creative outlet for them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#49]
I recommend Vegas Movie studio.

And make sure she monetizes those youtube videos, so she can buy a video camera. :D
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Probably been mentioned, but I believe you have to be 13 to have a youtube account.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top