User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 245
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Try again.

Q:  How do I know that you don't have a crossbow, or aren't very knowledgeable on the subject if you do?  

A:  Because of your answer. Modern Crossbow's shoot arrows, not bolts.  Bolt's were a solid metal projectile used in Crossbow's.  Modern Crossbow's use arrows that have  fletching.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does Daryl shoot his crossbow with no arrows loaded and no sights?

Crossbows shoot bolts.  Do not try to shoot arrows from a crossbow.  

As to the no sights thing, he probably borrowed that technique from the Governor.

Try again.

Q:  How do I know that you don't have a crossbow, or aren't very knowledgeable on the subject if you do?  

A:  Because of your answer. Modern Crossbow's shoot arrows, not bolts.  Bolt's were a solid metal projectile used in Crossbow's.  Modern Crossbow's use arrows that have  fletching.

crossbows shoot bolts because that is what they are called. and you don't need sights, 7 centuries of hunting with crossbows have proven that.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/master-class/2013/06/bolts-or-arrows-which-correct-crossbows

Bolts or Arrows: Which is Correct for Crossbows?
by Andrew McKean

We shoot arrows in our compound bows. But what do we shoot in our crossbows? Are they bolts? Or arrows?

As long as the projectile flies true and hits hard, what it’s called probably doesn’t matter for shooters. But as an editor, I’m interested in linguistic precision, which is why I put this question to my sources in the crossbow industry.

The consensus: most modern crossbows shoot arrows. Or maybe the right way to put it is: modern crossbows mostly shoot arrows.

“If it’s under 16 inches, it’s a bolt,” says Phillip Bednar, director of marketing for TenPoint Crossbows. “Sixteen inches or more is considered an arrow. We shoot 20- and 22-inch arrows.”

Aaron McCaleb, whose Source Outdoor Group reps for Barnett Crossbows, agrees that the correct term is arrows, but notes that it’s a sliding scale.

“Crossbows are being seen more as archery gear now, so the nomenclature is becoming homogenized,” McCaleb says. “We go with arrows.”

And Sam Coalson, director of marketing for Bowtech Archery, a center-of-mass compound company that is reaching into crossbow accessories, notes the divide between terminology used by the masses vs. that used by passionate users.

“Technically, either term is correct,” he says. “Most people still call them bolts, but more and more crossbow enthusiasts seem to be calling them arrows.”

A little medieval history comes into play in the terminology, too. Original crossbows were massive contraptions wheeled around on rolling stock and drawn by oxen. They fired relatively short, stout projectiles without vanes. They looked a lot like squat darts, and one explanation of their name—bolts—is that they hit an enemy’s fortification literally like a bolt from the blue. They were probably about as accurate as a lightning bolt, too.
That history indicates to me that definition based on length is a little arbitrary. Instead, I’m comfortable saying that a projectile fired from a limbed bow that has vanes and is longer than it is broad is an arrow.
What do you call crossbow projectiles? And does the term really matter?
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

crossbows shoot bolts because that is what they are called. and you don't need sights, 7 centuries of hunting with crossbows have proven that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As to the no sights thing, he probably borrowed that technique from the Governor.

Try again.

Y'all should start arguing over 30 round banana clips and those damn pingy things Garands are loaded with, then finish off with whether you feel "good" or "well" about the whole thing. Fucking Grammar Meter Maids.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 11:20:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was guessing 15-25k in the pit.
View Quote

For comparison, Jordan Hare Stadium has a seating capacity of 87,451:

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was guessing 15-25k in the pit.

For comparison, Jordan Hare Stadium has a seating capacity of 87,451:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/collegefootballmania/images/8/88/Jordan-Hare_Stadium.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120118195037

Ben Hill Griffin  88,548
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#7]
gimbel and notero on talking Dead said about 1000 were used.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#9]

1000, tops
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's actual actors. The CGI of the overview was by my guess around 10k
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's an interesting little easter egg I found on that Enid girl that Coral is banking to lose his virginity on:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See the pic I posted?
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#13]
The amount in the quarry is a small fraction of what is in those stadium pics.  2k to 10k is my guess- really hard to tell more details from the screenshots in B&W
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#14]

So is the consensus prediction that Alexandria "falls" this week because of the walker horde?  I missed the previews.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
That was actual extras in makeup. And then they filled in the rest with CG. Way more than 1000 in the pit

ETA:  Beat, I was
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#16]
In the pit, bet Rick wished he had grabbed Humvees aalong the way with 50s and Mk 19 grenade launcher instead of clapped out Fords.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So is the consensus prediction that Alexandria "falls" this week because of the walker horde?  I missed the previews.
View Quote

I think they are building up to one of the big Alexandria "events" from the comics for sure.

But...

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In the pit, bet Rick wished he had grabbed Humvees aalong the way with 50s and Mk 19 grenade launcher instead of clapped out Fords.
View Quote

That would have been fun with a Mk 19
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

No thanks.

I think you'd be better served with a few friends and:

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I think they are building up to one of the big Alexandria "events" from the comics for sure.

But...

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But...

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Click To View Spoiler
View Quote

If you really want to know:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No, I'm thinking a thousand or two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone have an estimate of how many walkers they think are in the quarry? A couple thousand maybe?

When I first saw it, my thought was "10-22, a case or two of ammo, and the problem is solved, permanently."  The contents of the TAPBunker would certainly have come in handy for that exact situation, without having to go through the high-risk/low-payoff plan they used.

i'd say over 100k.  a thousand people sounds like a lot, until you see them in the open.  

Wow, I don't think it was anywhere near that amount.  
http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/AMCs-The-Walking-Dead-Season-6-Episode-1-Black-and-White-flashback-the-quarry.png

Call the US Park Police.  They're pretty good about giving accurate crowd counts.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Call the US Park Police.  They're pretty good about giving accurate crowd counts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone have an estimate of how many walkers they think are in the quarry? A couple thousand maybe?

When I first saw it, my thought was "10-22, a case or two of ammo, and the problem is solved, permanently."  The contents of the TAPBunker would certainly have come in handy for that exact situation, without having to go through the high-risk/low-payoff plan they used.

i'd say over 100k.  a thousand people sounds like a lot, until you see them in the open.  

http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/AMCs-The-Walking-Dead-Season-6-Episode-1-Black-and-White-flashback-the-quarry.png

Suprised smell is not mentioned
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:45:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Suprised smell is not mentioned
View Quote

Or the noise... you would think that many walkers in one place would be quite the cacoffiny. Even if there was no groaning or verbal noises that many shambling bodies in one place would make a very audible sound that they should have heard... like a rushing stream you can hear from quite a ways away before you actually see it.

ETA: Appropes...

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

See the pic I posted?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

See the pic I posted?

Yeah I did a quick count of 100 used that area to approximate through the quarry and came up with about 8-10k. Its certainly way more than 1k.  I am sure they used 1000 actors but you can see the pixels There is definitely cgi multiplication. Look at the stadium pictures that were posted. There's enough zeds to fill at least an endzone section upper and lower deck.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No thanks.

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a482/warriorclasssix/DSC01464_zps86da9151.jpg
http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2013/08/22/2027480_01_ruger_10_22_stainless_rifle_w__640.jpg

In TWD universe 22 LR never recovered from the panic buying
There are probably a  few neckbeard walkers still dragging crates of 22  LR behind them as they shamble along
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its pretty simple really. Zoom in and enhance the image, sample a small section, and overlay that with the rest of the area you can easily come to a solid number. By my math I come up with about 87 zeds in the quarry.

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Outstanding

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try again.

I suggest you do some research on the matter before talking out of your ass.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah--agree that it doesn't look like it in that shot.  we just have to figure out how big the quarry is.  i forget where i was reading this, but renaissance infantry formations could put 10,000 men into a 60m x 60m block.  in a busy nightclub, you estimate 1 person per square yard in social areas, and 3 people per square yard in crush areas like the bars and stagefront.

to get a sense of scale, those trailers are ~53' long and ~8' wide, for about 47 square yards per trailer.  from the angle at which they're parked, it looks like the lower road is at least as wide as the trailer is long, and probably more--call it 20 yards.

i dunno--hard to get a bead on it, and i can't find location information to google earth it.  my estimate was high based on that pic, especially since you can see the ground in places over on the left, but the total is certainly more than a couple of thousand.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Looks like an outdoor music festival, but probably smells better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Wow I would have guessed way higher  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow I would have guessed way higher  

a thousand live actors, plus CG characters.

edit: beaten many times.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

There are probably a  few neckbeard walkers still dragging crates of 22  LR behind them as they shamble along
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No thanks.

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a482/warriorclasssix/DSC01464_zps86da9151.jpg
http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2013/08/22/2027480_01_ruger_10_22_stainless_rifle_w__640.jpg

Oh god...

I would love to see a zombie with a gunshow sign on his neck selling ammo dressed in camo pants with one of the concealed carry vests on.

Or a super fat zombie on the side of the road with a sign saying please feed a wounded vietnam vet.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...reminds me...

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Beside the pic that is already up, they just don't appear that dense to me:

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 8:02:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Well I believe we all agree that leading the Walkers out like a Pied Piper was stupid and some pretty shitty writing. . Moving on.

I believe it's the Wolves who are laying on the horn. In the season finale they found the pictures that were left behind at the warehouse. I'm sure there were some clues in there that would lead them to Alexandria. The Preacher and Porchdick Jr are possible too but I think in order to move the storyline along the Wolves need to attack.

Porchdick Jr is likely going to try to pull an Alpha move on Carl and learn a valuable lesson.

Preacher, well, we know what happens to Red Shirts.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The Preacher and Porchdick Jr are possible too but I think in order to move the storyline along the Wolves need to attack.
View Quote

I don't see why either would do this, they have no where to go if Alexandria is lost.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I don't see why either would do this, they have no where to go if Alexandria is lost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Preacher and Porchdick Jr are possible too but I think in order to move the storyline along the Wolves need to attack.

Preacher thinks Alexandria is already morally lost since he tried to convince Deanna that Rick is evil, and now Deanna has figuratively hopped in bed with the devil.

Porchdick Jr sees the people his dad used to serve approve of throwing him out like a piece of trash because Rick was sniffing around his mom.

That being said, not sure either of them have the tactical savvy to know that noise can turn a horde.  Porchdick Jr has been in town, Preacher has been hiding in a church.  So, they have the motive, just not the know-how.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know about the kid, but it's already been shown the Preacher is crazy, and not in a good way.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I don't know about the kid, but it's already been shown the Preacher is crazy, and not in a good way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No way Gabriel has the spine or gumption to pull a stunt like that; the kid's hatred for Rick (if it even exists) hasn't festered long enough for him to be behind the horn.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#44]
...Preacher thinks Alexandria is already morally lost since he tried to convince Deanna that Rick is evil, and now Deanna has figuratively hopped in bed with the devil.

Porchdick Jr sees the people his dad used to serve approve of throwing him out like a piece of trash because Rick was sniffing around his mom.

That being said, not sure either of them have the tactical savvy to know that noise can turn a horde.
View Quote

Good point, but would it be a herd of 1,000 or 2,000 or 10,0000 or 100,000?    
Sorry, couldn't resist...
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Father Pudpocket has more of a benign action thing going on. Almost all of his antics have been indirect at best. He hid in his church, when he did venture out he was a long-tailed cat in the proverbial world full of rocking chairs, he more or less kept to himself and stewed in his own batter until he tried to get Deeeeeana to do something about the Ricktatorship, he then sheepishly left the door open after I'm not sure what his deal with his little "walk" was.

Long story short Father Cocksocket is, to misquote USPT, a pussy. He would never do anything directly himself. He has shown he lacks the minerals to cross a street against the light not in a crosswalk let alone do something as direct as sounding a loud alarm that he knows would draw in the horde. Because he also is a self-aware pussy... he knows he cannot survive in this world without protection and shelter. He just wants to be extra douchey about who his protectors and shelterers are (trying to be both beggar AND chooser).

As for Porchdick Junior he is just a pissy kid. New guys in town ice his dad and steal his girl. That doesn't mean he is going to sound the dinner bell... I imagine he is going to do what any teen would do... wear his little wool hat, pout, be passive aggressive towards Rick and Coral and go run off and jerk it behind his house when no one is looking. If he is the alarmist then I will be pretty surprised.

And as for Coral's trim Enid, I think she has the same issues as Porchdick Junior. She is just a teen girl... pouty, rebellious and probably waiting for Coral to smash some heads so she can see if he is superior to PDJ. If she is a "Wolf" then I will also be suprised... The Wolves strike me as a pair of nut bars who, if they HAD a teen girl in their ranks, would have carved a W in her head, raped her ten ways from Sunday, lashed her to a tree and I dunno used her as a camp stove. I do not see them having this uber tactical "inside girl" in Alexandria. For all we know the first time they even saw Alexandria was when they picked up the photos out of the Ambiguously Gay Duo's runnin' bag they left at Wolfden. If Enid is in any way related to the Wolves I bet she was running from them, her parents or someone she was with got kacked by the Wolves and she got away. Her little travels outside the Alexandria gates are her way of looking for "W is for Walker" walkers to know if the Wolves are indeed not far.

So after all that blather, I still think the alarmist is the Wolves. They just pulled one of the semi's up from their Wolfden and laid a brick on the horn. I still think they might be the ones who penned in the quarry in the first place. They realized the Ricktatorship was taking it on the road and decided to monkey wrench their little pride parade.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#46]
They need to shitcan Rick Grimes and follow Rick Sanchez.

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
They need to shitcan Rick Grimes and follow Rick Sanchez.

View Quote

But that would make Coral into Morty... Corty?
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Try again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try again.

and many people still call them bolts. Also most medieval bolts were wood shatfs
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Letting the walkers out was DUMB. But, it's Rick... what do you expect... he's killed more people than walkers through his ineptness..
View Quote

The one truck blocking them from getting out fell off the cliff. The walkers were on their way out on their own.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#50]
dbl
Page / 245
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top