Morgan is in his "walking the earth" phase
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
L
Quoted:
Interesting takes. I see your point. Yes, he is becoming unstable and not doing what he needs to do as leader. He was a much better leader at the prison, where he listened to Hershel.

Hmmm, wonder what direction they will take him. Wonder if the writers will have anyone from the Ricks group confront Rick about his leadership? Maybe if\when it gets someone killed.

as he was at the prison, he's unsteady instead of confident.  he's doing well as a survivor, but he's gone very feral.  that's fine for an individual, but bad in a leader, who other people are counting on.  best example is the interaction with darryl over recruitment.  there is nothing about rick that makes him intrinsically more qualified to lead than darryl--they both have had a ton of experience dealing with bad stuff in the world (even before the infection).  rick doesn't know more than darryl, and he isn't smarter than darryl.  so when darryl has something to say, rick needs to sit down and listen. same with carol, michonne, glenn, and maggie, all of whom have shown a high degree of proactive thinking.  instead of sitting down and working things through with his assets, he's just making snap decisions and handing out orders.

basically, he's an officer without a plan, who isn't listening to his subordinates, and just telling everyone what to do because he knows that he 'should' be in charge--that's dangerously close to captain sobel territory.  deanna is much, much better as a leader, despite her conceptual failings.  rick commands where he should convince, and tries to convince when he should command.  worst of all, he's emotionally self-indulgent: "do you have any idea who you're talking to?"  those aren't the words of a man confident in his own ability--it's BS born of insecurity.  he salvaged that particular situation, but his lack of calm confidence continues to be a major problem with the group.

Morgan and Rick's journeys are similar, but Rick's journey has a larger diameter.
Morgan has essentially come full circle back to humanity, Rick is still on the return trip.

Morgan is in his "walking the earth" phase

Only problem I see with this is his unwillingness to kill bad people.
Like those 2 guys he left in the car. Actions like that will come back and haunt you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I still don't see why they didn't try to burn them when they were in the quarry.   Greasy meat would burn.  Get a hot enough fire going; strategically set, Dresden style, and it would work.  They have all of those cars.

When the episode began, I assumed that the "plan" was to use the herd as a weapon.  Otherwise, the plan makes no sense.
View Quote

I'm of the same opinion.  

I too thought they were using them as a weapon.  Unleashing the herd just to move them makes absolutely no sense.  It's poor writing.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the quarry herd is just a case of clumsy over-explaining of a story element. The writers felt the need to explicitly outline where this huge mega herd came from and they felt the need to make Rick and the funky bunch partially complicit in its inevitable arrival at Alexandria. In other words the entire premiere was filler designed to move the football rather than build this enormous intricate plot line.

In the comics:

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I agree that Abraham and Sasha are gonna get it on.

I think his rolling out of the car was to impress her. And looked like it worked by her little smiles and head shakes.

Yes, they will be screwing soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think Abraham is trying to get a little Sasha action.

The son Ron could be the horn blower, teen angst, anger and poorly thought out plans of revenge

I agree that Abraham and Sasha are gonna get it on.

I think his rolling out of the car was to impress her. And looked like it worked by her little smiles and head shakes.

Yes, they will be screwing soon.

Funny that that is where people are seeing this going.

In the comics:

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Every time Rick was on screen with his 1000 bandaids, all I could see was Marv.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/FyPy3wL.jpg

View Quote

I was like, "How are those bandaids doing any good over his stubble??"
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/FyPy3wL.jpg

View Quote

I couldn't get the old Bandaid jiggle out of my head, "..i'm stuck on band-aid brand cause band-aid's stuck on me...."
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does anyone have an estimate of how many walkers they think are in the quarry? A couple thousand maybe?

When I first saw it, my thought was "10-22, a case or two of ammo, and the problem is solved, permanently."  The contents of the TAPBunker would certainly have come in handy for that exact situation, without having to go through the high-risk/low-payoff plan they used.
View Quote

i'd say over 100k.  a thousand people sounds like a lot, until you see them in the open.  think about a football crowd.  now figure that this deadfall is near a major urban area, and has been collecting walkers for a couple of years.

but i completely agree that rick's plan was dumb, and killing them in the quarry was the right idea.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

i'd say over 100k.  a thousand people sounds like a lot, until you see them in the open.  think about a football crowd.  now figure that this deadfall is near a major urban area, and has been collecting walkers for a couple of years.

but i completely agree that rick's plan was dumb, and killing them in the quarry was the right idea.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone have an estimate of how many walkers they think are in the quarry? A couple thousand maybe?

When I first saw it, my thought was "10-22, a case or two of ammo, and the problem is solved, permanently."  The contents of the TAPBunker would certainly have come in handy for that exact situation, without having to go through the high-risk/low-payoff plan they used.

Killing them is the right idea.  If ammo wasn't a problem it'd be great place to train snipers and sharpshooters.  But a more efficient solution is to get a lot of old diesel and a firetruck, douse them down and burn them.  ...or just reinforce the exists and let the natural walker trap continue doing it's job.   Maybe even use them as a weapon of last resort against another force.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Reinforce the exits.

Let them trickle out a few at a time and kill them over an extended period of time.

Set up noisemakers to attract new ones to fall in.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Reinforce the exits.

Let them trickle out a few at a time and kill them over an extended period of time.

View Quote

smoke from the burn pit would also help attract new ones.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree that Rick's plan for the horde was monumentally stupid.  However, I think anything other than eliminating all the walkers in the pit at once (fire, bulldozer, mine flail equipped Sherman, GBU-43, etc.) would be a mistake as well.  There are too many possibilities that could result in their release and a group that large is simply too much of a threat.  Failure of the existing or even reinforced barricades, deliberate release by some group like the Wolves to generate a distraction, and landslide that might create a natural ramp for their escape are just the first three that pop into my head.  I'm sure there are a metric fuck ton more.  Gotta schwack 'em all at once.

E-95
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How does Daryl shoot his crossbow with no arrows loaded and no sights?
View Quote

Crossbows shoot bolts.  Do not try to shoot arrows from a crossbow.  

As to the no sights thing, he probably borrowed that technique from the Governor.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Lol… that’s what I was thinking.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The idea that there was a "camp" was built in the quarry seems silly to me

Do you even Season 1, bro?
Lol… that’s what I was thinking.

Ask Ed...errr I mean Shane.....oops, both dead.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Walkers can't scale the sides of that pit.  They could have engineered a large wall to the front end of one of the dozers to block the road then just start throwing molotov cocktails and balloons filled with gasoline.  Done and done.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Walkers can't scale the sides of that pit.  They could have engineered a large wall to the front end of one of the dozers to block the road then just start throwing molotov cocktails and balloons filled with gasoline.  Done and done.  
View Quote

Wouldn't gasoline degrade balloons before they could be used/thrown?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it degrades latex.  Is that what the common party type balloon is made of?

E-95

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Like those 2 guys he left in the car. Actions like that will come back and haunt you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think that's part of the problem with trying to examine too closely what goes on in this show. The writers wanted a horde to attack Betaville, and thought that just another random horde, like in the farm storyline, would not work, so they worked backwards and came up with the quarry filled with the undead and the Cattledrive/Rodeo  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the quarry herd is just a case of clumsy over-explaining of a story element. The writers felt the need to explicitly outline where this huge mega herd came from and they felt the need to make Rick and the funky bunch partially complicit in its inevitable arrival at Alexandria. In other words the entire premiere was filler designed to move the football rather than build this enormous intricate plot line.

In the comics:

Click To View Spoiler

I think that's part of the problem with trying to examine too closely what goes on in this show. The writers wanted a horde to attack Betaville, and thought that just another random horde, like in the farm storyline, would not work, so they worked backwards and came up with the quarry filled with the undead and the Cattledrive/Rodeo  

There is no doubt that it's a means to an end.  It's just obvious they worked the problem backwards, and came up with the "walker drive" scenario, which is a bit silly.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#22]
For those who are thinking of making the jump to the comics (or those who already have) Compendium 3 came out this month, so you can get issues  97-144 all in one spot. Its a great way to get caught up with the comics without spending a hundred bucks plus on back issues.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Reinforce the exits.

It could be like the tire fire in the Simpsons....just one big pile of zombies burning in perpetuity...

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Gravel pits/ stripper pits fill up with water.  Pretty damn stupid to have a camp in the bottom of one.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Gravel pits/ stripper pits fill up with water.  Pretty damn stupid to have a camp in the bottom of one.
View Quote

This whole episode was kinda silly, but it's what the writers came up with to get a hoard of walkers in play.   I think it's why they used a nonlinear timeline, if they played it out with a linear flow the silliness would have been even more obvious.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This whole episode was kinda silly, but it's what the writers came up with to get a hoard of walkers in play.   I think it's why they used a nonlinear timeline, if they played it out with a linear flow the silliness would have been even more obvious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#27]
how hard is it to flood the pit with water and dump in a million piranha - good grief
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the comics:

Click To View Spoiler

I believe a better way to go would have been to have the Wolves stumble on the quarry and use the hoard as a weapon on Alexandria. As seen at the warehouse, they have no problem with using zeds as weapons.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
No kidding.  

I was surprised at Bo staff guy and katana girl making pouty face when Rick gave the guy who got bit the stick. Pretty far along at this point to be squeamish about dispatching people who are bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/318/files/2015/08/dude1.jpg

No kidding.  

I was surprised at Bo staff guy and katana girl making pouty face when Rick gave the guy who got bit the stick. Pretty far along at this point to be squeamish about dispatching people who are bit.

I think it was because they also saw Rick put a gun to back of the dude's head earlier In front of several townsfolk.

Back in town, it's going to look like Rick let him wander off in the woods, pushed him into a walker to get bit, and then just had to stick him.  Who saw him stumble into the walker?  Nobody.  So, if the town isn't being overrun by the Wolves, or if they do and survive, the town is going to start adding up the number of their citizens who've gotten killed since Rick showed up.  The Mayor's hubby.  The hubby of the woman Rick has the hots for.  The Mayor's son.  Dude that openly questioned Rick.  All dead in a few days, connected to Rick or Rick's group.  

Rick's not thinking; he's got a chubby because he now thinks he has the town.  Morgan and Michonne are thinking.

I just think it's interesting that Rick's dumbassery has now lost them three safe havens.

- Farm was safe and could have been improved until he let Shane lead a mad minute of gunfire, attracting a horde.
- Prison was safe until he failed to take some defensive steps, pretty fucking obviously needed after Woodbury attacked.
- Now he's fucked up their deal in Alexandria; he's either killed too many townsfolk too fast, or stripped their defenses in time for the Wolves to attack, or is going to get them overrun by walkers.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:=

the town is going to start adding up the number of their citizens who've gotten killed since Rick showed up.  
The Mayor's hubby.  The hubby of the woman Rick has the hots for.  The Mayor's son.  Dude that openly questioned Rick.  All dead in a few days, connected to Rick or Rick's group.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:48:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:54:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No kidding.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/318/files/2015/08/dude1.jpg

No kidding.  

jwr6 nailed it with the politics of the thing.  rick's behavior also manifested his chronic instability.  guy was bitten--put him down and move on.  the dramatics would have bothered me, too.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:56:18 AM EDT
[#35]
I am really surprised that we have yet to see one homemade spear in the entire series.
Making spears is pretty much part of our reptilian brain yet everyone in the series seems to like to get up nice and close.

Put on some armor make some halberds and go at it.

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:11:57 AM EDT
[#36]
I agree with whoever brought the solution of funneling the zombies off the edge of the quarry. By far, this seemed like the safest, least resource consuming, while the crippled zombies would continue to draw in more preventing large hordes forming around Alexandria. Pretty much a win all around.

Use a small distraction team placed on the high side of the quarry and draw them in, so a construction crew safely places an angled wall funneling off the edge of the road. Leave a 2 foot gap at the edge and the zombies will push each other off trying to get to a bait team on the other side.

Just all around most practical and simplest solution. No herding, no perfect timing, less shit to go wrong. They still could have made it go all wrong so they could further the plot along for Alexandria to get besieged.

It didn't bother me to much while watching the episode, but letting loose a horde of thousands of walkers into the countryside where they may well have to go and scavange is incredibly stupid.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:20:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I agree with whoever brought the solution of funneling the zombies off the edge of the quarry. By far, this seemed like the safest, least resource consuming, while the crippled zombies would continue to draw in more preventing large hordes forming around Alexandria. Pretty much a win all around.

Use a small distraction team placed on the high side of the quarry and draw them in, so a construction crew safely places an angled wall funneling off the edge of the road. Leave a 2 foot gap at the edge and the zombies will push each other off trying to get to a bait team on the other side.

Just all around most practical and simplest solution. No herding, no perfect timing, less shit to go wrong. They still could have made it go all wrong so they could further the plot along for Alexandria to get besieged.

It didn't bother me to much while watching the episode, but letting loose a horde of thousands of walkers into the countryside where they may well have to go and scavange is incredibly stupid.
View Quote

This is clearly why they chose this option.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 2:49:55 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

They can't even manage long sleeves and gloves.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:32:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I believe a better way to go would have been to have the Wolves stumble on the quarry and use the hoard as a weapon on Alexandria. As seen at the warehouse, they have no problem with using zeds as weapons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the comics:

Click To View Spoiler

yes that would have been much better  instead they look plain stupid.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:48:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Ha, no shit. Look how fast the riot armor from the prison was abandoned  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can't even manage long sleeves and gloves.
Ha, no shit. Look how fast the riot armor from the prison was abandoned  

And they should have a stable of Michonne's seeing-eye-walkers available for anyone going outside the walls.

It's like they can't remember anything they learned beyond one episode.

Oh, but Rick can remember that they 'herd.'  Good job, Rick.  Release a herd of thousands. Even taking them 20 miles away... all it takes is ONE loud noise from the direction they came from, and they're back in your lap.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

i'd say over 100k.  a thousand people sounds like a lot, until you see them in the open.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i'd say over 100k.  a thousand people sounds like a lot, until you see them in the open.  

Wow, I don't think it was anywhere near that amount.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/AMCs-The-Walking-Dead-Season-6-Episode-1-Black-and-White-flashback-the-quarry.png

No, I'm thinking a thousand or two.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:28:12 AM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/AMCs-The-Walking-Dead-Season-6-Episode-1-Black-and-White-flashback-the-quarry.png

Looks like an outdoor music festival, but probably smells better.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:44:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Wow, Walking Dead's premier beat football with a 14.63. Not as high as season 5's premier, but a 14.anything over football is impressive. Show shows no signs of slowing down in the ratings department. It will be interesting to see how this season's numbers hold compared to Fear TWD's numbers.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 9:48:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

As to the no sights thing, he probably borrowed that technique from the Governor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does Daryl shoot his crossbow with no arrows loaded and no sights?

Try again.

Q:  How do I know that you don't have a crossbow, or aren't very knowledgeable on the subject if you do?  

A:  Because of your answer. Modern Crossbow's shoot arrows, not bolts.  Bolt's were a solid metal projectile used in Crossbow's.  Modern Crossbow's use arrows that have  fletching.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Wow, Walking Dead's premier beat football with a 14.63. Not as high as season 5's premier, but a 14.anything over football is impressive. Show shows no signs of slowing down in the ratings department. It will be interesting to see how this season's numbers hold compared to Fear TWD's numbers.
View Quote

You seem to know a lot about television rating systems.  Does 14.63 mean 14.63 million viewers?  

If so, has average viewership for television shows declined a lot over the last 10-20 years?
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#50]

It's a pretty good amount, I'd guess less than the attendance at a college football game.20-50 thousand maybe.

I'd have gone with a multi pronged cleansing of the pit.

First reinforce the side towards Alexandria.

Do as others said funnels to high drop offs, may not terminate them but probably bust them up so bad they will not be a concern. Would have been perfect to set up behind that truck for when it fell in.

Several people popping skulls with spears on the lower section of rocks.

The zeds heads popped like cherrys on that wall. It's a quarry they have rocks, how about some slingshots, air cannons, work on your throwing arm... stuff that doesn't use up ammo.

And fashion a zed crushing smashing vehicle (tank, dozer, tractor), it's not rocket surgery.

Could have cleared them out in a couple of days of hard work.

I'd love to know how that pit smelled.
Page / 245
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top