Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 29
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#1]
The season long "official NFL thread" that dates back to June is 66 pages.

This 10 day old thread is now on page 28.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Might as well embed this over here too. Fucking hilarious.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The season long "official NFL thread" that dates back to June is 66 pages.

This 10 day old thread is now on page 28.

View Quote

Not to worry.  The 2014 ***Official*** NFL Thread will grow by several pages after I'm done crunching all of the numbers from the seaon to show exactly how many times teams were playing with "out of spec" footballs.

Either it's not really a rule violation, or I can try to retroactively lay claim to some portion of the $25K per ball fine.

I think this is my opening into professional sportsball analysis.

You'll be able to recognize me in the 2015 season as the dude on the sidelines in the ghillie suit with the FLIR camera - I'll be radioing to the coach when it's time to have the refs pressure check the ball.  Off the field, I'll be recognizable at NFL events as the little guy with the entourage of marginally unattractive, slightly overweight women - while this might not be much of a claim to fame, it's still and entourage, and it's free food.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Common denominator is the refs. It is not the Patriots job to throw a penalty flag on themselves. It is not Patriots job to officially certify as only a ref could, that the ball was within regulations.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Illegal plays that result in touchdowns??  

Hey! THAT sort of stuff might affect the outcome of a game!  

Refs should have caught the guys not reporting properly and moved them back appropriately.

So much for the highest rated officiating crew. I wonder what else they missed, like may be actually measuring the psi of the balls before the game.

Funny how there seems to be a common denominator....

...Patriots?

Oh, that's right!  Everyone's out to get them...  

Couldn't be anything else, right?  

Common denominator is the refs. It is not the Patriots job to throw a penalty flag on themselves. It is not Patriots job to officially certify as only a ref could, that the ball was within regulations.

I hear the Refs will be testifying at Hernandez's trial....
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/columnists/kaufman/2015/01/nfls_investigation_patriots_officially_deflated.html

Once again comments on how they did not record PSI pregame, and mentions they did NOT record the PSI of the 12 balls they tested at half time before replacing them with the back up balls...

If that is true, then everything is a huge fucking waste of time. Even more than it has originally been.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/columnists/kaufman/2015/01/nfls_investigation_patriots_officially_deflated.html

Once again comments on how they did not record PSI pregame, and mentions they did NOT record the PSI of the 12 balls they tested at half time before replacing them with the back up balls...

If that is true, then everything is a huge fucking waste of time. Even more than it has originally been.
View Quote

"Dean Blandino, the NFL’s vice president of officiating, yesterday told the assembled media in Phoenix referee Walt Anderson gauged the footballs himself and marked them as ready for the AFC Championship Game."

It's presumptive testing:  Are these balls good to go?  Yes/No   Period.   No need to record the PSI, given the intent and purpose of the actions.  

The fact that he didn't write down the numbers in no way changes what he claims.  A written statement is no more authoritative than a verbal statement.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
"Dean Blandino, the NFL’s vice president of officiating, yesterday told the assembled media in Phoenix referee Walt Anderson gauged the footballs himself and marked them as ready for the AFC Championship Game."

It's presumptive testing:  Are these balls good to go?  Yes/No   Period.   No need to record the PSI, given the intent and purpose of the actions.  

The fact that he didn't write down the numbers in no way changes what he claims.  A written statement is no more authoritative than a verbal statement.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It simply makes it Walt's word vs the Patriots.

"I checked the balls."

"Well we didn't do anything to them."

League has no video. No photos. No confessions. No proof that THEY measured the balls. And if the link above is to be believed, they didn't even record the balls pressure when they found it to be below regulation at half time. They have made themselves look like fools. While the media continues to chase its tail over rumors and whisperings.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's a more detailed write-up from the folks at Carnegie Mellon.

https://uploads.strikinglycdn.com/files/131228/81e5b7f8-aec2-4c83-bb3e-ffcbe2a031ac/HeadSmart%20Labs%20DeflateGate%20Lab%20Report.pdf

Where I just made some guesses on game timing, they pulled the actual game timing from The Guardian, which oddly enough is a UK paper. I'll be updating the ArfAnalysis accordingly.

For the dry ball analysis, they used a constant volume assumption, where I tried to incorporate elastic effects based on some ESPN measurements from 2013.  They cooled the footballs based on game times and measured pressures.  Using a constant volume equation of state, they sought to 'sanity check' their results by working backwards to their initial room temperature and arrived at a value of 71ºF, a difference of -4ºF when compared to their initial room temperature of 75ºF.  Plugging the ESPN-derived elastic modulus into their work to try to better account for volume changes, I calculate an initial air temperature of 77.6ºF, or +2.5ºF above their initial room temperature - a little bit closer to their room temperature, or possibly indicative of slightly heated air from recent inflation.

Something missing from their write up, however, are barometric pressure readings which affect both their initial and final gauge measurements.  Accounting for swings in barometric pressure can change the back-calculation of the initial temperature by as much as +/-3ºF.  Recall that there was a -0.16 psi swing in barometric pressure during the game (significant).  How much was the barometric change during the course of their lab experiment?  I don't know.

Not to mention, the ArfAanlysis had graphs and stuff.  Graphs!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#10]
^^ Good Stuff ^^

Thanks for the link.

Edit: Their youtube video for the lazier people.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

"I checked the balls."

League has no video. No photos. No confessions. No proof that THEY measured the balls. And if the link above is to be believed, they didn't even record the balls pressure when they found it to be below regulation at half time. They have made themselves look like fools. While the media continues to chase its tail over rumors and whisperings.
View Quote

Walt Anderson is their proof.

Unless of course you have reason to believe Walt Anderson's word and reputation is not beyond reproach.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

"I checked the balls."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"I checked the balls."

The League looks like fools because they trust the Referees to make calls regarding rules violations without providing video proof?  Really?  

Why would Walt lie?  

Why would the Patriots lie?

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Unless of course you have reason to believe Walt Anderson's word and reputation is not beyond reproach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

"I checked the balls."

His word is just as good as Bill's, Tom's and Robert's until proven otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at the definition of the word "gauge" as it was used. It's a mealy-mouth word that could mean "we measure with equipment" OR "we gave them a squeeze test".
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Why would Walt lie?  There's no possible benefit.

Why would the Patriots lie?  The benefits are many.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Look at the definition of the word "gauge" as it was used. It's a mealy-mouth word that could mean "we measure with equipment" OR "we gave them a squeeze test"...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look at the definition of the word "gauge" as it was used. It's a mealy-mouth word that could mean "we measure with equipment" OR "we gave them a squeeze test"...

...or potato.  

I check my tire pressure today with a gauge.  The left front was low, so I filled it up to the proper pressure.  I have no proof of this.  And besides, no one knows what gauge means!  
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:31:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Maybe nobody lied.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would Walt lie?  There's no possible benefit.

Why would the Patriots lie?  The benefits are many.

Maybe nobody lied.

GTFO with that nonsense!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Science: The balls pressure decreased.

Haters: Fuck that, they cheated.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Illegal plays that result in touchdowns??  

Hey! THAT sort of stuff might affect the outcome of a game!  

Refs should have caught the guys not reporting properly and moved them back appropriately.

So much for the highest rated officiating crew. I wonder what else they missed, like may be actually measuring the psi of the balls before the game.

Funny how there seems to be a common denominator....

...Patriots?

Oh, that's right!  Everyone's out to get them...  

Couldn't be anything else, right?  

However, it IS the pats fans job to bitch how, within the rules, what signals the refs use.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess Jerry Jones will be hiring a deflator for next season.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Science: The balls pressure decreased.

Haters: Fuck that, they cheated.
View Quote

Perhaps both.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:12:34 PM EDT
[#23]
When "Gauge" is used as a verb, as in "we gauged...":

verb
estimate or determine the magnitude, amount, or volume of.

"astronomers can gauge the star's intrinsic brightness"
synonyms:measure, calculate, compute, work out, determine, ascertain; More
form a judgment or estimate of (a situation, mood, etc.).
"she is unable to gauge his mood"
synonyms:assess, evaluate, determine, estimate, form an opinion of, appraise, get the measure of, judge, guess;

2. measure the dimensions of (an object) with a gauge.
"when dry, the assemblies can be gauged exactly and planed to width"
made in standard dimensions.
adjective: gauged; adjective: gaged
"gauged sets of strings"

View Quote

so, on the one hand it can mean "guess, estimate", and on the other it can mean actually "measure with an instrument".

Like I said... Mealy-mouthed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Walt has never been caught cheating or lying. His word is better.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because you say it is? How dare you question Robert Kraft.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

so, on the one hand it can mean "guess, estimate", and on the other it can mean actually "measure with an instrument".

View All Quotes
Quoted:

verb

synonyms:assess, evaluate, determine, estimate, form an opinion of, appraise, get the measure of, judge, guess;

"gauged sets of strings"

Mealy-mouthed is how one is described if they play games with definitions of words, to allow themselves and their integrity wiggle room.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Article looking at the HeadSmart Labs results.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/30/sports/football/deflation-experiments-show-patriots-may-have-science-on-their-side-after-all.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid%3D=tw-nytsports

"This analysis looks solid to me,” said Max Tegmark, a professor of physics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology who reviewed the paper at The Times’s request. "To me, their measurements mean that there’s no evidence of foul play.”

In a usually obscure profession that has received extraordinary attention during the controversy, some academic and research physicists now concede that they made a crucial error in their initial calculations, using an equation called the ideal gas law. (Neil fuck head among many others)

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Mealy-mouthed is how one is described if they play games with definitions of words, to allow themselves and their integrity wiggle room.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

verb

"gauged sets of strings"

So we agree.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

...or potato.  

I check my tire pressure today with a gauge.  The left front was low, so I filled it up to the proper pressure.  I have no proof of this.  And besides, no one knows what gauge means!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...or potato.  

I checked my tires today too.  It has been cold out.  I checked them two days ago and they were all fine.  I had to re-inflate the two rear tires only.  I guess it is the only reason I did not get in an accident so it is clearly unfair to someone out there who was looking to get a quick insurance claim from any crash I may have caused from the two rear tires not being at proper pressure.  It is just not possible that the rear tires are losing pressure because the aluminum rims are old and for some reason they always lose pressure faster than the front ones do.  (Must be a conspiracy and some one had to have fucked with them.)
Every QB/ team is allowed to "prepare" the ball pretty much the way they want to.  Perhaps the way the Patriots do this leads to loss of pressure in certain weather conditions during the game?  Not a breaking of the rules.  Following the letter of the rules.  No one screwed with the ball after it was measured but it still may have lost pressure over the course of the game.  The Colts "prepare" their balls differently, and thus no change was recorded.  All within the rules as the NFL has defined them.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Goodell said there was no information at this time if an infraction by the Patriots took place.
View Quote

Roger Goodell wraps up 'tough year' by addressing key NFL issues
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Goodell said there was no information at this time if an infraction by the Patriots took place.

Roger Goodell wraps up 'tough year' by addressing key NFL issues

At this point I think the league is wishing this would all just go away and be forgotten.

Kraft is probably licking his chops waiting for that public apology now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I checked my tires today too.  It has been cold out.  I checked them two days ago and they were all fine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...or potato.  

I checked my tires today too.  It has been cold out.  I checked them two days ago and they were all fine.

Do you have proof of this?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Super Bowl Footballs To Be Taken Into Custody By NFL On Friday After Pats, Seahawks Prepare Them
View Quote

http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2015/01/30/super-bowl-footballs-nfl-custody/

THIS IS BULLSHIT!  They haven't done this all year!  Everyone is against the Pats!
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

THIS IS BULLSHIT!  They haven't done this all year!  Everyone is against the Pats!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Super Bowl Footballs To Be Taken Into Custody By NFL On Friday After Pats, Seahawks Prepare Them

Because monitoring the footballs before a game is the equivalent of changing in game procedures on the field during play.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#35]
[

Nice.  

...but the burden is on proving a crime/ infraction not proving innocence.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#37]
There are a million things that are quote worthy in this one. Too much gold.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Are they using certified pressure gauges, or hardware store gauges?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He and the refs weren't caught not doing their job in that very game.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#40]
A vendor outside Fenway was selling T-shirts last summer that said, "Payton Manning sucks" and next to it was a T-shirt that said, "And so does his brother".

I laughed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dafuq does that mean?
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

So, the NFL's solution is to have the two teams prep the footballs at 28.62inHg (rel) ... with 30.1inHg forecast for game time?

This will not end well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:38:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

So, the NFL's solution is to have the two teams prep the footballs at 28.62inHg (rel) ... with 30.1inHg forecast for game time?

This will not end well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This will not end well.

You should apply for a job with the NFL as Head of Ballz

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Because monitoring the footballs before a game is the equivalent of changing in game procedures on the field during play.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I missed all the complaints you brought up prior to the Colts game when they "changed" procedure.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Are they using certified pressure gauges, or hardware store gauges?
View Quote

" Because a split second before the torque wrench was applied to the faucet handle, it had been calibrated by top members of the state AND federal Department of Weights and Measures... to be dead on balls accurate! "
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 12:53:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
[

Nice.  

View Quote

So...

Calls that are not reviewable via instant replay, like Pass Interference...

...Civil Rights violations?  
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:05:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[

Nice.  

So...

Calls that are not reviewable via instant replay, like Pass Interference...

...Civil Rights violations?  

In this case the call is not made on the field by the refs, it is made after the fact by the league offices.  Its not really a penalty in the game so it is a different thing.  Hopefully any desision will be based on evidence they either find or don't find.  Unless you are advocating comparing it to civil rights violations sort of like the way Eric Holder likes to play it.  No evidence required there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:47:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Might as well embed this over here too. Fucking hilarious.

http://youtu.be/MNpkSyryQz4

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/31/2015 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 29
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top