BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 47
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:06:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never claimed you get to marry whomever you want-   .....
View Quote

What are the boundaries of the definition marriage and who gets to set those boundaries?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:41:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

What are the boundaries of the definition marriage and who gets to set those boundaries?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In that area of Kentucky apparently an adulterous slut who was married four times is the final arbitrator.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:01:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

In that area of Kentucky apparently an adulterous slut who was married four times is the final arbitrator.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not really exactly how it works out.

In this particular area of Kentucky, the clerk of the court who is elected by the constituency there has ability to decide to issue or not issue licenses, evidently.  That doesn't really speak to the larger question of who gets to set the boundaries of the definition of marriage -- it appears that SCOTUS has stepped in and decided that along with many other imagined rights not enumerated in the Constitution, the question of who can enter into a marriage contract is a valid problem for them to solve.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:08:24 AM EDT
[#4]
A great piece which deals with what Christians should do in such a position:

http://dougwils.com/s7-engaging-the-culture/in-which-i-paint-with-some-bright-yellows.html
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#5]
The irony is that the Court and the administration is very  inconsistent, only striking down state laws they dislike.  The exact same court that upheld Obamacare stating that it was not their job to overturn a law passed by the legislature acting as the representatives as of the people did exactly the opposite in this case.

DOJ enforcing federal court decision in this case but ignoring sanctuary cities where immigration law is ignored, etc.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The irony is that the Court and the administration is very  inconsistent, only striking down state laws they dislike.  The exact same court that upheld Obamacare stating that it was not their job to overturn a law passed by the legislature acting as the representatives as of the people did exactly the opposite in this case.

DOJ enforcing federal court decision in this case but ignoring sanctuary cities where immigration law is ignored, etc.
View Quote

The Leviathan is a fickle beast, bro.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In this particular area of Kentucky, the clerk of the court who is elected by the constituency there has ability to decide to issue or not issue licenses, evidently.  That doesn't really speak to the larger question of who gets to set the boundaries of the definition of marriage -- it appears that SCOTUS has stepped in and decided that along with many other imagined rights not enumerated in the Constitution, the question of who can enter into a marriage contract is a valid problem for them to solve.

View Quote

I understand that and feel this is a state issue.

My criticism of this is she is about the worst spokesperson who could be arguing the points she is arguing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My criticism of this is she is about the worst spokesperson who could be arguing the points she is arguing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. I have to agree with that sentiment.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh of course.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Even in Texas you need a CCL and NFA paperwork. It comes down to if you regard rights as something governments were established to protect, or rights as something granted by the government. Even then, there's plenty of history of various rights being infringed or not recognized.

Excluding everything else, your argument seems to be perilously close to "the only rights that exist are those granted by the government".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It most certainly is. One doesn't need a permit to exercise a right.

Even in Texas you need a CCL and NFA paperwork. It comes down to if you regard rights as something governments were established to protect, or rights as something granted by the government. Even then, there's plenty of history of various rights being infringed or not recognized.

Excluding everything else, your argument seems to be perilously close to "the only rights that exist are those granted by the government".

Wrong.  You misunderstand.

The only license I should need to carry a weapon, open or concealed, or drive a fully loaded and armed M-1 Abrams tank to work, SHOULD Be the ability to fog a mirror, not being a felon, and not being adjudicated mentally ill and dangerous to others or myself.  

That is why it is called "Constitutional Carry".

The fact that we violate to Constitution in this area is not a justification or excuse to violate the Constitution in another area.

The Constitution is not an exhaustive list of rights, but rather a series of limitations upon the Federal government (originally) that reduced or controlled the manner and extend to which the enumerated rights could be limited or regulated.  

Period.  Full stop.

Obviously, other rights exist, but none of those were placed outside the bounds of government action, Federal in the initial case, and State and local since the 14th.

Marriage had never, ever been in the Federal sand box to play with.  That means it belongs to the States, according to the 9th and 10th.  Since there is no bar to regulating marriage, (indeed, it is a very regulated endeavor, for obvious reasons) in the Constitution, the SC decision is based on - nothing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#12]
just another attention whore.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loving_v._Virginia#For_same-sex_marriage

It was decided that even prisoners have a fundamental right to be married. It's really not up for question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Fourth and Tenth Circuits used Loving along with other cases like Zablocki v. Redhail and Turner v. Safley to demonstrate that the U.S. Supreme Court has recognized a "fundamental right to marry" that a state can not restrict unless it meets the court's "heightened scrutiny" standard. Using that standard, both courts struck down state bans on same-sex marriage.

Chief Justice Earl Warren's opinion for the unanimous court held that:
Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival.... To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law. The Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discrimination. Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the State.

It was decided that even prisoners have a fundamental right to be married. It's really not up for question.

And yet no one had "discovered a right for even prisoners, (who perhaps could make the best argument for one), to a same-gender "marriage" in the preceding 150 years since the amendment passed that supposedly created it?

R-I-G=H-T .......
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Hearing is at 1100 Eastern according to the PACER docket entry.

Such excitement. Much drama.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

No worse and no better than most of us.  I am not going to reach over and bayonet someone in the same foxhole as me, fighting the same enemy, based upon her past.

It is never too late to start doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No worse and no better than most of us.  I am not going to reach over and bayonet someone in the same foxhole as me, fighting the same enemy, based upon her past.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True but she is a HORRIBLE spokesperson on this one IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe she lives in a sanctuary city, where the law doesn't apply.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, but she's a "born-again Christian" now so she's been forgiven and none of that counts.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No word on court yet might not be over not sure what time zone that is  

Edit ah no hearing yet
View Quote

11:00 Eastern. But they could be on a docket with other stuff.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#22]

And all have turned, for representation, to Liberty Counsel, a legal nonprofit that has been on the front lines of the same-sex marriage fight for roughly two decades.

In some ways, these are tough times for the group, based in Orlando, Fla., which has seen the courts, and Americans in general, warm to the idea of same-sex nuptials. But by offering pro bono counsel to defiant Christian public officials, the self-described legal “ministry” finds itself in demand by social conservatives in the wake of the Supreme Court ruling in June that, for the first time, legalized same-sex marriage in all 50 states.

She's fuuuuuuucked.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Oh, but she's a "born-again Christian" now so she's been forgiven and none of that counts.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To think what the Apostle Saul....I mean Paul would say....

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Right, how about judges constrain themselves and not legislate?

They amended the constitution by fiat, creating that which was never there, and overruling the democratic process. Scalia was absolutely correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ahhhhhhhh, might makes right... While the coercive force will likely prevail, it doesn't make it right, correct, or constitutional.

It makes it reality.

Don't like it? Pull your pistol, amend the constitution, or get over it.

Right, how about judges constrain themselves and not legislate?

They amended the constitution by fiat, creating that which was never there, and overruling the democratic process. Scalia was absolutely correct.

Kinda like Mcdonald vs Chicago, right?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I admire her dedication and her courage in adhering to her beliefs.... Now throw her whore ass in lockup.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The government doe similar things all the time - tried to buy any unpasteurized milk?  Laetrile?

Very frequently, we require people getting married to get blood tests, or not be too closely related biologically.  We require private wells have their water quality tested, and we took lead out of paint and gasoline.  The government does ALL KINDS of things for general health reasons, and it is well within their assigned duties to refuse to legitimize an inherently unhealthy practice.

In short - NOT potato.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
and heterosexuals can get aids even if it as a lower percentage so ....potatoes

It is an overwhelmingly smaller chance, and in such cases where they do, there is almost always a homsex in the woodpile somewhere along the line so ...

NOT potatoes.

yes potatoes... because what if the homosexuals are monogamous and aids free...

if a women has aids and tells you and you still want to have unprotected sex with her...It is not in my place to tell you that you can't

The government doe similar things all the time - tried to buy any unpasteurized milk?  Laetrile?

Very frequently, we require people getting married to get blood tests, or not be too closely related biologically.  We require private wells have their water quality tested, and we took lead out of paint and gasoline.  The government does ALL KINDS of things for general health reasons, and it is well within their assigned duties to refuse to legitimize an inherently unhealthy practice.

In short - NOT potato.

So your position is that if we don't allow gay people to formalize monogamous relationships, they'll have sex with fewer people?

Have you really thought this through?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

No she doesn't.  

Marriage licenses are "shall issue".  She has no discretion here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So your position is that if we don't allow gay people to formalize monogamous relationships, they'll have sex with fewer people?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is an overwhelmingly smaller chance, and in such cases where they do, there is almost always a homsex in the woodpile somewhere along the line so ...

NOT potatoes.

if a women has aids and tells you and you still want to have unprotected sex with her...It is not in my place to tell you that you can't

In short - NOT potato.

I'm thoroughly convinced NOBODY, on either side, has thought this through.

This thread is pure entertainment gold.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have commented voluminously in this thread so find a quote from the Bible.  Up your game because you are in way over your depth.  Anxiously waiting for a well reasoned response, please don't disappoint.
View Quote

Well - I am not digging through the entire thread. So what exactly is your point/position you want a reasoned response to?

If you are using the Bible to defend your position in any way on this topic, then I have to question your reasoning. But perhaps I am misreading what you said.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

And yet no one had "discovered a right for even prisoners, (who perhaps could make the best argument for one), to a same-gender "marriage" in the preceding 150 years since the amendment passed that supposedly created it?

R-I-G=H-T .......
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Fourth and Tenth Circuits used Loving along with other cases like Zablocki v. Redhail and Turner v. Safley to demonstrate that the U.S. Supreme Court has recognized a "fundamental right to marry" that a state can not restrict unless it meets the court's "heightened scrutiny" standard. Using that standard, both courts struck down state bans on same-sex marriage.

Chief Justice Earl Warren's opinion for the unanimous court held that:
Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival.... To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law. The Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discrimination. Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the State.

R-I-G=H-T .......

People didn't exactly care too much for gay people back then. I know, I know ... those were the days [insert All in the Family themesong].

One could also use the same bad argument for the "newly discovered" "right" to marry someone of a different race.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No she doesn't.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No she doesn't.  

That's what i thought too. But, looking at it close I don't believe there is a single statute on the books in Kentucky that actually says marriage licenses are shall issue or that a clerk must issue licenses. It seems rather she is empowered to issue licenses at her discretion maybe? There certainly are a number of penalties for her knowingly issuing licenses that are prohibited by statute, but there's no penalty for failing to issue a license when the applicant's are otherwise qualified.

The closest I've found is KRS 402.080:

402.080   Marriage license required
Who may issue.
No marriage shall be solemnized without a license therefor. The license shall be issued by
the  clerk  of  the  county  in  which  the  female  resides  at  the  time,  unless  the  female  is
eighteen (18) years of age or over or a widow, and the license is issued on her
application
in person or by writing signed by her, in which case it may be issued by any county clerk.

But that only says that you cannot solemnize the marriage without a license and that the license shall come from the clerk of the county. But it's passive. It doesn't actually say "the clerk of the county shall issue the license" upon filing, meeting the requirements, etc. but rather that any licenses issued "shall be issued from the clerk." It's a restriction on who can issue licenses.

Compare that for instance to the handgun license statute and its wording KRS 237.110 which reads:

"(4) The Department of Kentucky State Police shall issue an original or renewal license
if the applicant: [meets all the other necessary requirements and is not prohibited]"

Now her refusal should clearly be seen essentially as failure to execute the duties of the position she was elected for and she should be removed from office, but that appears to require impeachment which isn't a simple process for those complaining about her actions. So if she's not required by law to issue licenses and isn't issuing any licenses to straight or gay couples, that on its face is non-discriminatory action, even if her intent is discriminatory. She's treating both the same, so it's not clear that would be in violation of the Obergefell ruling. Though, I still wouldn't be surprised to see the federal court smack her down anyways and make her issue licenses or be subject to contempt, its not like the words of the laws mean anything these days.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No she doesn't.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No she doesn't.  

Pretty much everything a clerk does is "shall-issue." Their job is ministerial in nature. The discretion they have falls under the details of "how" they do it, within the law. Like how they organize the files and flow the work. Even if elected.

The whole "elected" thing comes up because it means they don't have a "boss" to tell them what to do. Except when a federal judge steps in.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

In the context of this law;

402.080 Marriage license required -- Who may issue.
No marriage shall be solemnized without a license therefor. The license shall be issued by
the clerk of the county in which the female resides at the time, unless the female is
eighteen (18) years of age or over or a widow, and the license is issued on her application
in person or by writing signed by her, in which case it may be issued by any county clerk.

It seems to state that the only marriage licensed issued in the state shall be issued by the clerk of the county, to the exclusion of any other office holder or authority in the state.

not that the county clerk shall issue as in an order to issue.

in fact it is actually a may issue, not shall issue. 402.080 title is Who may issue.
View Quote

I have the same question. Is the license itself "may issue" but only "shall be issued" by the County Clerk?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#37]
And she's in custody for contempt as judge didn't think fines would do enough.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:22:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
And she's in custody for contempt as judge didn't think fines would do enough.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be how Christianity works.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is great and all, but that isn't how government works.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

God bless this woman.  She has principals and bigger balls than any of our other so called "conservatives".
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on the past.

If you went by the past, Paul wouldn't have wrote a big hunk of the New testament, would he?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NOT potatoes.

In short - NOT potato.

Yes.  My position is that same gender relationships should not have State or Federal approval - certainly not without legislative change..
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great post, Doc.

I am proud of her standing her ground.

The bigger question her critics should be asking is why is a license needed from the government to get married?

Freedom, now get your license so the government can condone your relationship. We should be fighting tooth and nail to get government out, but no, freedom is defined on having to pay for a license.

What a win.

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
People didn't exactly care too much for gay people back then. I know, I know ... those were the days [insert All in the Family themesong].

One could also use the same bad argument for the "newly discovered" "right" to marry someone of a different race.
View Quote

No you can't.  Formally approved interracial marriages have taken place in this country since before it was a country.  I read of one in the 1600's.  Not the same thing at all.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I kind of give her credit for be willing to get thrown in the pokey. Hope she has her gofundme page set up, she might be able to retire on this.
View Quote

Which is why I said the judge would jail her.

And he has.

lol
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Based on the past.

If you went by the past, Paul wouldn't have wrote a big hunk of the New testament, would he?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on the past.

Now she is up there with the Apostle Paul

Fantastic
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's about damn time someone told these jackasses to go fuck themselves.

Anthony Kennedy made his ruling, now let him enforce it!
View Quote

Delicious.  If she s supporting God s authority I hope she prays for her release. If it s God s will he ll cut the walls of the prison in half to free her.
Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top