BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I saw the height of irony once. A gaggle of those spandex wearing fags stuck on a narrow country road behind a tractor/hay-bailer.

I really enjoyed following that mess. The fags finally gave up and stopped. When I got behind the hay-bailer he pulled over at the next driveway and waved me by.

Now that was some major Farmer John trolling.  
View Quote

You'll enjoy this: At the state time trial championships, I got stuck behind a piece of large farm equipment on a narrow country road. I tried to pass off the road, but he kept weaving. Then I realized he was so wide that he had to weave to miss the mailboxes. I finished last and the organizer told me to get fucked when I asked for a re-run. 6 hour drive, hotel accommodations, and my weekend, all ruined.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

OP needs to get the law changed.  Bicycles have the same rights as cars in most states.  I have less trouble with bicycles than motorcycles.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

double yellow line. No passing zone.  Sounds like OP is the dick.

OP needs to get the law changed.  Bicycles have the same rights as cars in most states.  I have less trouble with bicycles than motorcycles.

Following the law and being an absolute cunt hammer, are not mutually exclusive behaviors.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:23:52 AM EDT
[#3]
In Iowa, if RAGBRAI comes through your town, you are out of options as a motorist. They rule the fucking road, and I can't think of a more poignant and scary example of Groupthink and mob mentality. Thousands upon thousands of bikers owning the roads. They're completely intolerant of vehicles.

A couple years ago, they overnighted in my town. A high school friend of mine was doing the ride and called me up to see if I could come and pick him and his wife up as they were too tired to make it into town. I headed out to the 2-lane country highway thinking, "the bikers will be heading east into town, so the westbound lane should be a breeze. Ohhhh, no. They took up the ENTIRE highway, knowing full well that the highway was open to motorists. They just didn't fucking give a shit.

Even cresting hills I would encounter hundreds of bikes in my lane, coming right at me. They were a mixture of shocked and pissed off to see a 6,000lb truck in front of them, yet in its own lane. They yelled and cursed at me. I did 20mph the entire way and came close to hitting at least 200 of them. It was unbelievable and something I'll never do again. It's typically a great group of people, but I was scared at the collective Groupthink.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

no, people that bike like that are dicks. I ride all the time, single file
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bicycles are a menace.

no, people that bike like that are dicks. I ride all the time, single file

+1
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I fucking hate those people
View Quote

Hate them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:27:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Florida Statute here.

5)(a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride in the lane marked for bicycle use or, if no lane is marked for bicycle use, as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:
1. When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.
2. When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
3. When reasonably necessary to avoid any condition or potential conflict, including, but not limited to, a fixed or moving object, parked or moving vehicle, bicycle, pedestrian, animal, surface hazard, turn lane, or substandard-width lane, which makes it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge or within a bicycle lane. For the purposes of this subsection, a “substandard-width lane” is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and another vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We are at such a critical mass that people are losing their shit over being caught behind a pack of bicyclists.
View Quote

It's bigger than just that. This is just another manifestation of how our society has become infested with selfishness and inconsideration.
The fact that this kind of asshatery is becoming acceptable to so many is the real problem.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:33:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I live in Austin. These fucks are everywhere. I stay home most days.
View Quote

Yes, yes they are.  Take solace that at least a few of these guys get creamed every year while doing that shit on busy roads.  

It's madness to ride your bike on the roads around here, utter madness. Austin drivers are the worst drivers I've ever seen in the US.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#9]
You missed out on 70 points!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#10]
It's an attitude of smugness and entitlement.

I ride a bike, I will NEVER ride with someone else. Most people do not know I ride.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I fucking hate those people
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Double yellow line, you could not legally pass them on that section of street if you wanted. You would be breaking the law if you did.

Looks like they are riding through a neighborhood down a residential street. Is that your neighborhood? Chances are those are your neighbors.

Assuming they were riding 15-20 mph, where were you in a big hurry to get to in your own vehicle?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's bigger than just that. This is just another manifestation of how our society has become infested with selfishness and inconsideration.
The fact that this kind of asshatery is becoming acceptable to so many is the real problem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We are at such a critical mass that people are losing their shit over being caught behind a pack of bicyclists.

Yes sir, you got that right.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I used to farm and we have a local peanut festival that includes a bicycle event , normally the event is right before we start havesting . Well this one year the peanuts were early or the race was late cant remember needless to say the event went on when us farmers were full bore harvesting , peanut diggers , peanut combines and 12,000 lbs peanut trailers being pulled by whinos on one or 2 tone trucks every where with a metric ton of bicyclist from all over the country all on Va's lovely 16.5 foot wide back roads .  Good times good times

The big red thing on the end is a peanut combine for yall city boys or non peanut country folk

Diggers are more intimidating with 4 large blades  up front and the rest covered in all sort of pointy things .

ETA Here is a digger

Needless to say they moved the peanut festival up a week or two now.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Double yellow line, you could not legally pass them on that section of street if you wanted. You would be breaking the law if you did.
View Quote

Bullshit. If they were riding single file all the way to the right (like they're supposed to), he could legally pass them and stay in his lane.

I don't understand why some of you guys are defending what these assholes are doing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Dick move. Portland is one of the top "bike friendly" cities in the US.
A bicyclist can run a red light/stop sign, get hit, and be found innocent...lawyers in wait to help these douche bags.

and I ride
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

Look.

If these jokers were commuting bu bicycle it would be one thing.

These stupid fucks are playing in the street.

Real people have places to go and schedules and stuff.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Bullshit. If they were riding single file all the way to the right (like they're supposed to), he could legally pass them and stay in his lane.

I don't understand why some of you guys are defending what these assholes are doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a one lane road each way with a double yellow line. No passing when the lane has traffic.

If folks are going to start threads about others breaking laws, while they think that the same traffic laws do not apply to them, that makes them appear as hypocrites in my book.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That is a one lane road each way with a double yellow line. No passing when the lane has traffic.

If folks are going to start threads about others breaking laws, while they think that the same traffic laws do not apply to them, that makes them appear as hypocrites in my book.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty damn sure you can legally pass a bicycle on a double yellow, if you stay in your lane.

And the bitching isn't about who's following the law or not. It's about a pack of assholes being assholes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#20]
The cyclist who is pointing to the ground, is pointing out the unfixed road construction in the street. Looks like nearly all of them are spread out to avoid the road hazard.

It is common on group rides to call out road hazards like that and to go around them rather than through them. Most likely what is happening in the photo.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Agree wholeheartedly.

I love riding bicycles. However, I fully admit and understand that I am riding on roads engineered for cars and trucks, I am not on any equal footing as a vehicle nor do I pay fees, registration or insurance to lay claim to these roads. I'm not entitled to the road, I am a guest and can be a nuisance...so I look for little-traveled roads, stay far to the right, and ride solo so I am not a rolling roadblock for people making their living or trying to travel at a normal speed. I also obey all the traffic laws.

I much prefer a bike path to the road anyway, and will seek them out whenever possible. I'd much rather contend with a dog or stroller than a 6,000lb truck who doesn't see me.

Roadies can be the most selfish, passive-aggressive dickholes in society. The bigger the group, the more likely the asshole surfaces.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the law referring to other motorized vehicles?
What do you do when there is a pedestrian? Do you not pass him because, well... "no passing"?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Good and bad in every group.

These douches are the ones that ruin it for everyone else who rides.

Pics like that are why some people cheer when bicyclists get hurt.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm pretty damn sure you can legally pass a bicycle on a double yellow, if you stay in your lane.

And the bitching isn't about who's following the law or not. It's about a pack of assholes being assholes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not legal to pass a cyclist in a double yellow line street in Florida.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Agree wholeheartedly.

I love riding bicycles. However, I fully admit and understand that I am riding on roads engineered for cars and trucks, I am not on any equal footing as a vehicle nor do I pay fees, registration or insurance to lay claim to these roads. I'm not entitled to the road, I am a guest and can be a nuisance...so I look for little-traveled roads, stay far to the right, and ride solo so I am not a rolling roadblock for people making their living or trying to travel at a normal speed. I also obey all the traffic laws.

I much prefer a bike path to the road anyway, and will seek them out whenever possible. I'd much rather contend with a dog or stroller than a 6,000lb truck who doesn't see me.

Roadies can be the most selfish, passive-aggressive dickholes in society. The bigger the group, the more likely the asshole surfaces.
View Quote

You, sir, are the exception.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

You sure about that?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What do you do when there is a pedestrian? Do you not pass him because, well... "no passing"?
View Quote

Pedestrians are not traffic. Cyclists are traffic. Same rules and laws apply to cyclists on bicycles as they do to motorcycles. The only difference are controlled access freeways, tollroads etc. Otherwise, cyclists are vehicles like anything else.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Cyclists are exactly like gays - they've become militant and middle-finger about their imagined "rights". They think they're superior beings, all fit and "green", and us motherfuckers in cars are just gonna have to settle down and wait for them. Cyclists figure: Don't like it? Fuck you.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:54:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You sure about that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sure about that?

The Florida Driver Handbook (2013):

“Double solid yellow lines prohibit vehicles moving in either direction from crossing the lines. You may not cross these lines unless turning left when it is safe to do so.”
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:55:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

“Double solid yellow lines prohibit vehicles moving in either direction from crossing the lines. You may not cross these lines unless turning left when it is safe to do so.”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sure about that?

You can pass a cyclist without crossing the lines, assuming said cyclist isn't riding like a total cunt hammer.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Impeding the flow of traffic is illegal in most states. Move that shit over to the side. Road looks wide enough for the biketards to ride single file on the side and allow vehicle traffic to use the rest of the lane.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Like I said, the cyclists in the photo were most likely riding around the holes in the street from unfinished construction and nothing more. Pretty sure the OP knows this, the photos clearly show what is happening. If he was trying to yank your chains on purpose, he accomplished it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#33]
I bike to work most days in the summer, plus recreational riding. I hate people like that.

I stay on side streets and designated bike lanes whenever I can.  If I have to ride on a busy street, I GTFO of the way.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What change is needed?  The law is already in place, did you not read the statute in the OP's first post? The riders against the curb are the only ones following the law, the others are in violation.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Looks like they are riding through a neighborhood down a residential street. Is that your neighborhood? Chances are those are your neighbors.

Assuming they were riding 15-20 mph, where were you in a big hurry to get to in your own vehicle?
View Quote

Most likely nieghbors... this was at 0730 and I was trying to get to work. This is a common occurrence 2-3 times a week.

Speed limit is 30mph and they were barely 10mph and they were 4 abreast before the "surface hazard". This is normal for them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I ride a bike and I agree with the OP, get the fuck over and let cars pass.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Florida Statute here.

5)(a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride in the lane marked for bicycle use or, if no lane is marked for bicycle use, as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:
1. When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.
2. When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
3. When reasonably necessary to avoid any condition or potential conflict, including, but not limited to, a fixed or moving object, parked or moving vehicle, bicycle, pedestrian, animal, surface hazard, turn lane, or substandard-width lane, which makes it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge or within a bicycle lane. For the purposes of this subsection, a “substandard-width lane” is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and another vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.
View Quote

View Quote

Holy shit you quote the law that allows them to avoid surface hazards and photo them spreading out to avoid the two square holes cut in the pavement to access/repair water lines.  White jersey guy on the left is still pointing at them to warn his buddies as they fan out to avoid them (except that one poor dumb bastard who's standing up as he bounces through them).  Those holes are plenty big to blow out a bicycle tire if you hit them blind.

Looks like a shitty suburban road with so many patches and holes they can't ride in a straight line without damaging their bikes.  We have roads like that too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You sure about that?

That says nothing about "passing".
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Holy shit you quote the law that allows them to avoid surface hazards and photo them spreading out to avoid the two square holes cut in the pavement to access/repair water lines.  White jersey guy on the left is still pointing at them to warn his buddies as they fan out to avoid them (except that one poor dumb bastard who's standing up as he bounces through them).  Those holes are plenty big to blow out a bicycle tire if you hit them blind.

Looks like a shitty suburban road with so many patches and holes they can't ride in a straight line without damaging their bikes.  We have roads like that too.
View Quote

What I didn't get a picture of was them riding 4 abreast 1/4 mile BEFORE the "surface hazards".

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#41]
My drive to work is down a busy country road with a lot of blind curves and hills.  On a nice day you can count on the road being filled with bicycles.  I am afraid one day I will come over a hill, smear a cyclist and it will be all my fault.  Apparently cyclists come to that road because it was listed as a state bike route over 30 years ago.  The cyclists also like to park in our (full) church parking lot during Sunday service to unload their bikes and go ride, then they look at me like I am the asshole when I invite them to come in for service.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Florida Statute here.

http://www.imgur.com/vw6VIBi.png

There's plenty of room to the right of those "surface hazards" for every damn one of them to ride through, single file.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Narcissists will narcissist.

Assholes.
View Quote

Yup.  Not all bike riders are like that, but the ones that are piss me off.  Not only is it a pain in the ass (and unsafe as cars will have to go completely into the other lane to pass them) but it gives the other bike riders a bad name.

Every morning coming to work there is a group of 3 that do the exact same thing, instead of riding single file on the edge of the road as to not cause a problem, they will ride next to each other and clog the whole lane.  One a one lane road.  When people are trying to get to fucking work.  It never fails, when you see these assholes (and they do it every fucking day) there will be a line of cars behind them that is stuck doing about 10-15mph on a 35 until the lane splits.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No matter how fuckin' stupid an action is, someone (or multiple someones) here will defend it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What I didn't get a picture of was them riding 4 abreast 1/4 mile BEFORE the "surface hazards".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then give a curt "toot" with your horn from 100 feet back to say "move your dumbasses over" without adding to the situation by honking right behind them and pissing them off too.  Some cyclists are just riding in condition white and are jackasses to other traffic out of ignorance (kind of like a lot of car drivers I grit my teeth about when driving a big rig or any vehicle on the road).
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#46]
I try to be courteous to everyone and most cyclists here don't ride like that.  The ones that do get the horn.

Quoted:
http://gifshost.com/022011/1298914487_car-plows-through-cyclists.gif

The guy at the very beginning in the black helmet and red shirt has some tier 1 situational awareness.

http://i40.tinypic.com/169reph.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I pull up on them and blow the fucking horn.  They have no right to block the road.  It's a hazzard.  Been there.
View Quote

Yeah my Honda Civic has a horn like no other Civic, it would make them shit themselves.

Air horns are cool ...... and very fucking LOUD !!!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You'll enjoy this: At the state time trial championships, I got stuck behind a piece of large farm equipment on a narrow country road. I tried to pass off the road, but he kept weaving. Then I realized he was so wide that he had to weave to miss the mailboxes. I finished last and the organizer told me to get fucked when I asked for a re-run. 6 hour drive, hotel accommodations, and my weekend, all ruined.

View Quote

Didn't happen to come to KS and do our TT too did you.  A guy from Texas said he had a bad experience at the TX TT and wanted a do over.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In PA you must give a bicycle at least 4ft clearance when passing, however you are allowed to cross the double yellow while doing so, and bicyles must stay as close as practicable to the right side of the road unless turning left.

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top