BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was talking about the group that later became the Taliban.   The Afghanastain mujaheddin (Sp?).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Libya. It was the biggest jewel of accomplishments in Hillary's crown with DeptofState.

I was talking about the group that later became the Taliban.   The Afghanastain mujaheddin (Sp?).
except a good portion of the mujaheddin either died fighting the Taliban or got assassinated by the Taliban...

Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:38:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
except a good portion of the mujaheddin either died fighting the Taliban or got assassinated by the Taliban...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Libya. It was the biggest jewel of accomplishments in Hillary's crown with DeptofState.

I still figure a lot of them ended up with the Taliban.  
Osama was fighting with the mujihadeens against the soviets and the Taliban took him in.
My understanding is the Taliban came about due to all the rape and murder commited by the mujihadeen.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why would we give Iraq stingers to fight insurgents?
View Quote

The explanation I heard (from the media) was that these were supposed to be their air defense. Seems like we could have FMS'ed them some PAC-3's or something (which are a hell of a lot harder to loot and disperse all over the region), but what do I know, I'm just a civvy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:34:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've never heard that; I thought it was a lucky shot with a RPG-7 or similar.

Do you have a cite?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet?

I've read some different things, but have our former Stingers verifiably ever caused us any lost aircraft?

Couldn't answer that.

I believe that in 2012, one of our Stingers disabled one of our Chinooks, causing it to crash.  Searching....

Found this:

Miliary records and sources reveal that on July 25, 2012, Taliban fighters in Kunar province successfully targeted a US Army CH-47 helicopter with a new generation Stinger missile.

http://nypost.com/2014/06/08/how-the-taliban-got-their-hands-on-modern-us-missiles/

And, I believe, that in 2011 half of SEAL VI was taken out when what was believed to be a Stinger hit their chopper Extortion 17.

I've never heard that; I thought it was a lucky shot with a RPG-7 or similar.

Do you have a cite?

I searched. Sorry, I can not find a source or even "credible speculation" to support what I said.  Just things like this:

"According to our sources, the aircraft was likely shot down by a Stinger missile, described by a witness as “a streak of light as bright as the sun” that hit the aircraft and broke it into three pieces. The Chinook was flying into an area where a ground fire fight  had been raging, and some reports claim that it had no air cover. According to other reports, the eight Afghanis on board were last minute replacements, and were unknown to the US team."

http://gerarddirect.com/2013/06/27/families-of-seal-team-vi-shot-down-in-afghanistan-file-200-million-lawsuit/
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:51:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:04:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
what i am reading says the batteries are good for 4-5 years in storage. it also powers the coolant unit. All the Coolant unit needs is a power source to operate. i suspect it wouldn't be that hard to rig a new battery or power source to a dead unit from what i have found. it would limit the portability but for a fixed location i can't imagine it would be hard to accomplish.
View Quote

I hope they video flipping the switch. I like the lulz.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:07:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How long before one of them is state side?
View Quote

I'm guessing this Thursday
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:14:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd not be wanting to fly out of any airport near a port city in the future. The goat fuckers need only to be on a ship in a harbor (or even outside a harbor) to shoot at aircraft taking off or landing nearby. Then again I don't know how effective a Stinger would be as to range etc.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:17:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How long do the batteries last?
View Quote

The batteries are thermal. They have a very long shelf life.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:32:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:34:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Didn't a UPS/FedEx plane get hit with a MANPAD in Iraq yrs ago?

I think they were able to make an emergency landing, iirc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will a Stinger missile take out a commercial passenger jet?  We're about to find out!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Didn't a UPS/FedEx plane get hit with a MANPAD in Iraq yrs ago?

I think they were able to make an emergency landing, iirc.

That was a Strela-3 , not a Stinger
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:36:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
what i am reading says the batteries are good for 4-5 years in storage. it also powers the coolant unit. All the Coolant unit needs is a power source to operate. i suspect it wouldn't be that hard to rig a new battery or power source to a dead unit from what i have found. it would limit the portability but for a fixed location i can't imagine it would be hard to accomplish.

it also looks like the batts are rechargeable. assuming they got the weapons i'd suspect they got a charger/programmer unit as well.
View Quote

BCU's  (Battery Coolant Unit) are not reusable / rechargeable. . And last approx. 50 ish seconds from initiation.   Depending on the configuration, there are up to 3 BCU's per WRC (weapon round container)

I have seen literally hundreds of stingers fired. The training to become proficient, is not that difficult... but one does need to follow a sequence of events that are extremely critical to the weapons effectiveness.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:36:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
Because they thought the Iraqis were capable of a self and stable rule. They derped.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:39:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:39:58 AM EDT
[#15]
yet all the libs on the local news websites are saying we dont need to do anything.  let them sort it out themselves.  then who will be the first to complain that nobody stopped them when 9/11 x 10 happens?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:44:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

that came directly from raytheons website on the bcu, don't know, never shot one. according to them the coolant unit is not rechargeable bu the battery supporting it is.  dunno.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it also looks like the batts are rechargeable. assuming they got the weapons i'd suspect they got a charger/programmer unit as well.

BCU's  (Battery Coolant Unit) are not reusable / rechargeable. . And last approx. 50 ish seconds from initiation.   Depending on the configuration, there are up to 3 BCU's per WRC (weapon round container)

I have seen literally hundreds of stingers fired. The training to become proficient, is not that difficult... but one does need to follow a sequence of events that are extremely critical to the weapons effectiveness.

that came directly from raytheons website on the bcu, don't know, never shot one. according to them the coolant unit is not rechargeable bu the battery supporting it is.  dunno.

There is no rechargeable battery for the weapon round. The only rechargeable battery is for the THT (tracking head trainer) wich cannot be used to power a weapon round.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:44:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:48:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bet a YouTube video pops up with a full sequence of directions.....    Probably from our own state dept.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:52:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'll bet a YouTube video pops up with a full sequence of directions.....    Probably from our own state dept.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

These systems in the wrong hands ( a proficient gunner)  is bad... I'll leave it at that.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:56:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:56:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't wait till we see ISIS with some of the M1 Abrams that we gave the Iraqis...  
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:56:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:07:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

More likely, these are the Stingers and MANPADS that Obama and Hillary shipped to them in Syria from Benghazi.   I've been waiting for them to show up.  The administration is grasping the story that ISIS got them from the Iraqis in a desperate attempt to keep the truth suppressed.
View Quote
I'll go with this.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:14:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Here's a history lesson for you guys who think we gave stinger missiles to the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Up until the Soviets invaded Afghanistan was surprisingly a Westward leaning country. Afghanistan in the 1960s Pictures

In 1979 the Soviet Union invaded and they stayed until sometime in 1989 I believe. To fight the Soviets the mujaheddin was operational in Afghanistan before the Soviet invasion, because the Afghan government was starting to align itself with the Soviets. Once the Soviet Union invaded they made calls for a holy war against the Soviets. This brought in many more foreign fighters into Afghanistan. Since we were in the cold war against the Soviets at the time we helped out the mujaheddin to drag Russia into their own Vietnam. This meant giving them Stinger missiles to take out the Soviet helicopters and changing the war all together.

After the Soviets left there was a huge power vacuum in Afghanistan and the US pulled out their support as well. This left Afghanistan with many holy warriors that wanted to find a home. The Taliban was formed sometime around 1994 and eventually took over the country making it a safe haven for terrorist until the US invaded in 2003.

That's the brief summary of what happened I'm sure I'm missing some details, but we never intentionally gave the Taliban stinger missiles. One could argue we shouldn't have pulled out of Afghanistan after the Soviets left. We probably could have given them support while they formed a government.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:21:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

They are not a pick up and use item, it takes a fair amount of knowledge on the weapons system to make it work. But, then again we trained Afghan's to use it. Shit, that's bad news once they cross the Mexican border.
View Quote
If the feds did indeed give them stingers, I would assume they gave them the training simulators as well, they are pretty portable.  Effectively firing one isn't rocket science.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:23:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:26:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm not too sure, but from what I've heard MANPADS can only really hit airplanes on takeoff or landing. They aren't going to hit them 30,000 feet up, but i'm not a MANPAD expert.
View Quote

Good up to ~5,000'.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:35:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

which means they are new and have at least 5 years of life left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
More likely, these are the Stingers and MANPADS that Obama and Hillary shipped to them in Syria from Benghazi.   I've been waiting for them to show up.  The administration is grasping the story that ISIS got them from the Iraqis in a desperate attempt to keep the truth suppressed.
I'll go with this.  

which means they are new and have at least 5 years of life left.

Now, the billion dollar question....how many do they have?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:35:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Not surprising considering we have a Muslim in the White House.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:38:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't believe we armed the Iraqis with Stinger.
View Quote

I don't know shit about Stingers (other than the training I got on how to use one - simulator), so hopefully they make a 'monkey model' and that's what they gave them.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:40:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:55:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
how long until a commercial airliner is taken out by one?
View Quote

About as long as it takes to get one to Mexico.  Hell, we'll probably bus it across the border from there.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:11:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'll go with this.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll go with this.  

Apr 22, 2014:  Maybe the US Really is Mulling Sending Manpads to Syria

Oct 18, 2012:  Missiles for Syrian Rebels: Smuggled Manpads May End Up in Extremist Hands
This one has an alleged Syrian rebel Youtube video embedded.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:26:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Like I need another reason NOT to fly!
If it not the TSA its the god damned terrorists
getting their hands on MANPADS.
View Quote

Now TSA has an excellent reason to prone out granny around any airport or flight path and search her car.  TSA still won't search vendor trucks entering the active aviation areas of an airport.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Good up to ~5,000'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not too sure, but from what I've heard MANPADS can only really hit airplanes on takeoff or landing. They aren't going to hit them 30,000 feet up, but i'm not a MANPAD expert.

Good up to ~5,000'.

5km, not feet.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:42:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Now TSA has an excellent reason to prone out granny around any airport or flight path and search her car.  TSA still won't search vendor trucks entering the active aviation areas of an airport.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Like I need another reason NOT to fly!
If it not the TSA its the god damned terrorists
getting their hands on MANPADS.

At Charlotte airport you can set up in the Wendy's parking lot outside the airport and easily shoot down jets landing. They are well under 5000 ft on approach to the airport.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

this...I hear they need periodic maintenance.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:00:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Are those the ones lost in Libya?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:09:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

For the same reason we gave them tanks and fighter aircraft.  They have other enemies besides insurgents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the same reason we gave them tanks and fighter aircraft.  They have other enemies besides insurgents.

Shouldn't have given them squat if they can't utilized them (tanks, trucks, and whatnot) to fight rag tag insurgents

FBHO
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:17:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:24:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

To try and put an optimistic spin on this, the part in bold is good.  If they use a stinger anything like they use an AK, God won't be willing down any airliners any time soon.  Sights?  Western decadence!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:25:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do not need maintenance. They are a chemical / thermal type. Baisically "GO" or "NO GO", and trust me- they will last much longer than there advertized shelf life.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:26:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do not need maintenance. They are a chemical / thermal type. Baisically "GO" or "NO GO", and trust me- they will last much longer than their advertized shelf life.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Given how many Iraq has, I'd bet ISIS already has some.

http://i59.tinypic.com/4r3ts6.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How long till they have Abrams?

You're kidding, of course.

Given how many Iraq has, I'd bet ISIS already has some.

http://i59.tinypic.com/4r3ts6.jpg

Shitty export model with basic rolled steel armor.  Good luck keeping that turbine fed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:53:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Have you seen how these people charge their cellphones and radios?  They will simply determine the voltage and hook up a battery with the same voltage via jumper cables and ductape.  Not rocket science.  Even tho it's hooked to rockets.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:57:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Have you seen how these people charge their cellphones and radios?  They will simply determine the voltage and hook up a battery with the same voltage via jumper cables and ductape.  Not rocket science.  Even tho it's hooked to rockets.
View Quote

Wrong ...BCU = Battery Coolant Unit... there is coolant in there too...
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:58:16 AM EDT
[#47]
This is a good timeline to help understand how Hillary's rocket powered chickens are about to come home to roost:
 The Stingers of Benghazi By Jim Geraghty
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:59:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Gonna be getting real sporty over there now.

TRG
View Quote
indeed

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:48:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
if nothing else i am sure the warheads will make nice IED's
View Quote

It would a brutal anti-personnel device.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top