Quoted:
And you were hounding me with the word "deflection."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You called ME to the mat.  Then you tell me to lighten up?  You started this.

If that's the way you see it, then you're going to have a very hard life.

And you were hounding me with the word "deflection."

I'm still waiting for your answer to the question.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:55:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Volatility of a stock  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm really glad to be done with my MBA. Not a fan of even trying to care what a "beta" is.
Volatility of a stock  

Yeah, that!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Not what I was expecting. I thought there was gonna be some kind of political bias in there or something.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yeah, that!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm really glad to be done with my MBA. Not a fan of even trying to care what a "beta" is.
Volatility of a stock  

Yeah, that!
I like them high beta stocks.  There's even a high-beta ETF.  It's composed solely on stocks' betas, and nothing else.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:04:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like multiplication.

Education, like medical care will be free when these kids hit 18.

Robots will teach this class.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#6]

answer:

The number does not matter +because you are not accepting their money. and any decent calculator can do it.

Unlike when they had to do it by hand.

quit whining.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah, it's been a while since I've done this kind of stuff, but I don't understand how this could be that difficult. All you have to do is know how to set it up correctly. That's the only hard part.

Regardless, good luck on the final OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've figured it out, the guy is an asshole because his exam questions are all 3+ formulas deep.

You have to solve for Present Value (PV) of Tuition = $10,867.63.
Then solve for the Effective Annual Rate (1+.082537184698/1)^1/4 = 2.00247409%.
Plug that into a Financial Calc and get the PV of your 84 x $230 deposits growing at 2.00247409% with a Future Value (FV) of $0 = $9,313.78.
Then you take the difference between the PV of Tuition and subtract it by the PV of your deposits, $10,867.63-$9313.78 = $1,553.85.
Then you have to take the PV of your shortfall and get its future value by plugging it back into the Financial Calc, PV of $1,553.85 at 21 years and 8.2537184698% with a FV of $0 = $8,216.90 = C!

That's 5 different problems/formulas in 1.

He`s an asshole for asking plug and chug calculation questions? What should the questions be like instead?

Yeah, it's been a while since I've done this kind of stuff, but I don't understand how this could be that difficult. All you have to do is know how to set it up correctly. That's the only hard part.

its not difficult per se, but its a real pain in the ass to have to do it.

but that college in a nutshell/

wait until you have a boss and real responsibility.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've figured it out, the guy is an asshole because his exam questions are all 3+ formulas deep.

Plug that into a Financial Calc and get the PV of your 84 x $230 deposits growing at 2.00247409% with a Future Value (FV) of $0 = $9,313.78.

Then you take the difference between the PV of Tuition and subtract it by the PV of your deposits, $10,867.63-$9313.78 = $1,553.85.

Then you have to take the PV of your shortfall and get its future value by plugging it back into the Financial Calc, PV of $1,553.85 at 21 years and 8.2537184698% with a FV of $0 = $8,216.90 = C!

He`s an asshole for asking plug and chug calculation questions? What should the questions be like instead?

I'm 39

I'm a Microsoft SQL DBA for a Fortune 50 company. I have a fat salary, nice bennies and I'm going back to school for personal satisfaction because life gets boring after 35 and the company is paying for it.

My current goal is to get an MBA, there's going to be lots of bitching, fussing, cussing, whining and Arfcom posts along the way, but I will have an MBA when all is said and done.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dude....you're just a mathematical asshole!  LOL
I hate guys like you!  Sonofabitch.  That would make my brain bleed!   Where the fuck were you when I was in college!?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Dude's an asshole.

Signing you up for a class like that against your will.

Next thing you know they'll be expecting you to learn stuff and shit.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#11]
BS in Finance, checking in!

While most problems you face in your career aren't that bad, there are some that are comparable. Guess what I am trying to say is that questions like that, and the ones I had, are quite practical.

HOWEVER

There is a step or two not included in your exam questions.

Take that question. Now then, you don't have the variables. You have to get some of the info from that person or this person. Your answer and recommendation are due by end of business.

Some of  the people you need info/data from are out, some aren't responding to your email/calls, and the rest just don't have a clue what they are doing or what you are asking.

That is when you figure out that plugging and chugging the data is the easy part. Dealing with people who aren't there is the next hardest part. While the roughest part is dealing with the idiots who don't have a clue what they are doing.

Oh, I didn't mention those who have some sort of agenda or vendetta against you and will do everything in their power to see you fail. 'Cause it is not like we are on the same team or anything. Fuck teamwork! Right?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

BS in Finance, checking in!

While most problems you face in your career aren't that bad, there are some that are comparable. Guess what I am trying to say is that questions like, and the ones I had, are quite practical.

HOWEVER

There is a step or two not included in your exam questions.

Take that question. Now then, you don't have the variables. You have to get some of the info from that person or this person. Your answer and recommendation are due by end of business.

Some of  the people you need info/data from are out, some aren't responding to your email/calls, and the rest just don't have a clue what they are doing or what you are asking.

That is when you figure out that plugging and chugging the data is the easy part. Dealing with people who aren't there is the next hardest part. While the roughest part is dealing with the idiots who don't have a clue what they are doing.

Oh, I didn't mention those who have some sort of agenda or vendetta against you and will do everything in their power to see you fail. 'Cause it is not like we are on the same team or anything. Fuck teamwork! Right?
View Quote

lol, that happens in every profession in every industry
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#13]
OP thats stuff you learn in your first finance class.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:59:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

We did that shit the first 3 weeks of my Engineering Econ class.

It's nothing for us to have to solve for 5 problems in one test question. Sometimes we only had test with 2 questions, because each one had 10 different things to solve for.

Read through all his bullshit wording, he's only trying to confuse you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

OP thats stuff you learn in your first finance class.
View Quote

I took FIN3403 while working on my BS IT Management and got an A, the Prof's questions were probably 2-3 formulas deep.

This guy, in this same FIN3403 class at a different University has me digging formulas out of my ass. It's excruciating to the point of whining, but I'll get through it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I told a prof he was a fraud once
Fuck that guy
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In before you get smacked down by the guys with asshole thermo professors.
View Quote

That looks harder than my thermo class was.  

I has some similar questions in engineering econ, and they weren't too bad - just boring.  I know that I couldn't solve that right now without the help of my book.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:32:45 PM EDT
[#18]
At least your math exam has numbers on it and you are expected to find answers.  The last few of mine didn't.

Math theory and proofs suck.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

At least your math exam has numbers on it and you are expected to find answers.  The last few of mine didn't.

View Quote

Which degree was that for?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Electrical engineering.  I took some 400-level theoretical math classes as technical electives.  Very bad idea, the classes were nothing but proofs.  As an engineer I was not happy with "You don't have to find the answer or apply it in a useful manner to the real world, just prove that an answer exists."   Give me a nice little Laplace transform any day instead.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:01:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Good thing you went into finance, you're not cut out for engineering.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Good thing you went into finance, you're not cut out for engineering.
View Quote

I could do it, I would probably bitch a lot but I'd get it done.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I'm 39

I'm a Microsoft SQL DBA for a Fortune 50 company. I have a fat salary, nice bennies and I'm going back to school for personal satisfaction because life gets boring after 35 and the company is paying for it.

My current goal is to get an MBA, there's going to be lots of bitching, fussing, cussing, whining and Arfcom posts along the way, but I will have an MBA when all is said and done.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm 39

Now do it in SQL!

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Dude is an asshole, who has kids these days?
View Quote

Illegals. Welfare mothers. Dudes in prison. B list Hollywood actors actors and reality stars.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#26]
cannot be figured out until the results of the paternity test come in.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:02:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seems to me that your present value of your deposits would be incorrect, as it doesn't account for the money you pull out to pay tuition.  That's a cumulative ~$12k a year that you're no longer getting that ~8% on at the end, so a straight up pv of an annuity calculation would be overly simplistic.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Seems to me that your present value of your deposits would be incorrect, as it doesn't account for the money you pull out to pay tuition.  That's a cumulative ~$12k a year that you're no longer getting that ~8% on at the end, so a straight up pv of an annuity calculation would be overly simplistic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

She's just going to have to get a job to make up the difference.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#29]
That should be pretty simple for someone in a basic finance class to do.  It's a simple time value of money problem.  It sucks typing it all into a baii plus but it's not hard.  Excel would make it much easier.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

That should be pretty simple for someone in a basic finance class to do.  It's a simple time value of money problem.  It sucks typing it all into a baii plus but it's not hard.  Excel would make it much easier.
View Quote

I would kill to have Excel during the exam.

The basics of TVM, PV, FV and the other concepts is pretty easy, the hard part is when the questions get complicated and 5+ formulas deep. It's not impossible, just a PITA with just pencil, paper and a basic HP10BII+.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:26:18 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm impressed it's multiple choice.

Is that just for the practice questions?  Part of the excitement of waiting for the final grades to be posted is wondering if you were even close in your answer, and having to show your work so the brooding TA can critique your solution with the quickly-draining red pen.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Isn't that kind of projection the sort of thing you would actually have to do in business finance?

Learn how to set it up on your calculator.

Or you could become a marketing major like everyone else.
View Quote

do this so you can manage software engineers your first year out of college.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#33]
I had a question on a finance exam, don't remember exactly but it involved around 30 iterations (no calcluators used on tests, this was the old days when men were men and the few women looked the same).

No one had time to work it through, and when the tests were passed back the TA said, "Oh, you could have worked the first few steps, drawn a wavy line down the page and picked up with the final steps you would have used to solve. We were just looking for the correct procedure, not a lot of basic math."

If I'm lyin', I'm dyin'. Voice from the back of the room hollers, "Well, FU!"  
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In before you get smacked down by the guys with asshole thermo professors.
View Quote

Yeap. Thermo profs will fuck you so hard you'll wish you were observing a primitive tribe of cannibals with a 15% survival rate for your predecessors.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#35]
1. Calculate the inflation of tuition for the four relevant years (18 to 21st birthdays).

2. Simple bi-annual compound interest calculation up to year 17.

3. For years 18-21 just do compound interest again, but deduct the payment then compound the rest.

4. The problem says you will be short in year 21.  How much you are short is the answer.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I'm impressed it's multiple choice.

Is that just for the practice questions?  Part of the excitement of waiting for the final grades to be posted is wondering if you were even close in your answer, and having to show your work so the brooding TA can critique your solution with the quickly-draining red pen.  
View Quote

No, the exam is multiple choice. Everything is online these days.

I log into the testing website (Canvas and ProctorU.com) tonight at 7PM. They'll take over my home PC, someone will ask me to hold my ID up to the webcam, ask me a few personal questions to verify who I am then and watch me take the entire exam through my webcam.

It takes some getting used to.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Answer is...
F. By then Dems will have free tuition.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I log into the testing website (Canvas and ProctorU.com) tonight at 7PM. They'll take over my home PC, someone will ask me to hold my ID up to the webcam, ask me a few personal questions to verify who I am then and watch me take the entire exam through my webcam.

It takes some getting used to.

View Quote
Finish early then fap to tranny pr0n.  DO IT.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#39]
That is life.  I hear women's studies has openings.
Things you deal with in the real world won't be this neatly packaged.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

That is life.  I hear women's studies has openings.

Things you deal with in the real world won't be this neatly packaged.
View Quote
Yeah, but RL is more of an ethics test.

"You boss needs to tell the shareholders that your market forecast is X.  Your current market forecast is Y.  How many overly optimistic assumptions do you need to add to make the forecast somewhat plausible?"

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#41]
F: Force her to join the Military and get free tuition

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#42]

F: $0 - Company bankrupt from legal fees due to infringement of Wham-O's property lines.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#43]
I've been thinking about getting a business/finance degree in a few years.  Where are you doing it all online?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#44]
The answer is $87
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:04:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The basics of TVM, PV, FV and the other concepts is pretty easy, the hard part is when the questions get complicated and 5+ formulas deep. It's not impossible, just a PITA with just pencil, paper and a basic HP10BII+.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you allowed anything to take in to the test?

When I taught Business Finance I gave my students the formulas as part of the test.  Plugging in numbers is easy.  I'd rather they understand the concepts of why WACC, IRR, etc are important than rote memorize a formula.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

When I taught Business Finance I gave my students the formulas as part of the test.  Plugging in numbers is easy.  I'd rather they understand the concepts of why WACC, IRR, etc are important than rote memorize a formula.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We're allowed to use a reference sheet that he supplies, its more of a super condensed version of the book appendix. It's more confusing than helpful just because it's every formula in the entire book without much explanation as to what it is you're looking at.

I'm hoping for a good curve

The first exam he curved the entire class by 24 points, 24 points out of 100. I'd never seen one that high.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

We're allowed to use a reference sheet that he supplies, its more of a super condensed version of the book appendix. It's more confusing than helpful just because it's every formula in the entire book without much explanation as to what it is you're looking at.

The first exam he curved the entire class by 24 points, 24 points out of 100. I'd never seen one that high.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first semester I taught Finance, I created my own test.  I used some of the multiple choice questions from the teacher's manual and some problems like the ones you posted.

I gave it to one of my friends in grad school with me to take.  It took him about 45 minutes which I figured was right for an hour and fifteen minute class.

At the two hour mark not a single student had left and they started to look like they were going to turn on me.    I told them to turn it in and I would only grade the questions they had answered.  I ended up giving a similar curve.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:07:18 PM EDT
[#48]
It's a trick question.

The answer is $0 because Bernie Sanders would have made college free by then.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

The first semester I taught Finance, I created my own test.  I used some of the multiple choice questions from the teacher's manual and some problems like the ones you posted.

I gave it to one of my friends in grad school with me to take.  It took him about 45 minutes which I figured was right for an hour and fifteen minute class.

At the two hour mark not a single student had left and they started to look like they were going to turn on me.    I told them to turn it in and I would only grade the questions they had answered.  I ended up giving a similar curve.  
View Quote

How many students thought you were an asshole and how were the course evaluations?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's a trick question.

The answer is $0 because Bernie Sanders would have made college free by then.
View Quote

Shit, beat me to it.  If not Sanders then the next thinly veiled commie to win by giving away OPM.

OP - you, for one, should welcome your new socialist overlords.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top