Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Really?

What point of reference do you now have that lets you know when the tires are about to lose traction at that speed?

Hint: It does NOT feel the same at 200MPH as it does at 100MPH.

I'm sure you would crash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overconfidence_effect

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure, never tried it.

I'm sure I could handle the car at 200 mph but the 5 hours thing would be a bitch.

Really?

What point of reference do you now have that lets you know when the tires are about to lose traction at that speed?

Easy buddy. No one is saying that you didn't earn your trophies.

I never said it would be easy.  Might take a couple practice laps but I'm sure I could get the hang of it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The question isn't if I could, the question is "Why would I want to".

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Whole lotta derp-in going on in this thread. From both sides.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I never said it would be easy.  Might take a couple practice laps but I'm sure I could get the hang of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure I could handle the car at 200 mph but the 5 hours thing would be a bitch.

Really?

NP

Juan Pablo Montoya won seven races and had thirty podium finishes in Formula 1 racing.
He also had a pile of wins in other open wheel cars, yet never mastered NASCAR. He is not the only one. Most road racers wash out.

Explain that away.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The people responding in this thread that have motorsports competition experience have a frame of reference. Those that have never lined up do not. I had such a rude awakening at my first race. I always thought I was fast on the street and I was sure it would transfer straight to the track. How wrong I was. For most people that stand on the fence and say "I can go that fast" or some other such bullshit I look them straight in the face and tell them what I had to learn for myself. In motorcycle roadracing, the fastest you have ever gone on the street wouldn't even serve for a warmup lap on the track. Racing the WERA southeast region gave me track time with some of the fastest pros in the country. I was fast enough to win my class but couldn't even dream of carrying their lunchbox. Bike racing is especially cruel. I lost a good friend 16 years ago this week when he was hit by another rider after he crashed during practice for the WERA GNF. The really fast guys put all this out of their head, process visual information at a rate few can comprehend, and allow nothing to come between them and first place. Their can be only one winner, and the result of that is a whole bunch of losers. Only the strong survive.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#6]

that. It would be hard not to fall asleep.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I would not even want to try.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Do I get an auto transmission?  

I probably couldn't even drive a stick at this point.  

To be clear, there never really was a point at which  I

could drive a stick.  At least competently.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#9]
LOL at the poll results.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Nope, it's hard enough for the profesionals.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dunning–Kruger effect is alive and well on Arfcom.
View Quote

Amen to that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I could not. Do I think there are people who race locally in my area that could do it, hell yes. It comes down to who know and how much money you have. I watched Carl Edwards race for years at the local dirt tracks. I have seen him win and flat out get beat. For the people that think they can, you all have no idea. My first race in a stock car, I finished second in my heat race out of 8 cars. I went through tech and jumped out of that car like I was the king of the world, then my buddy said the leader was about 2 car links behind me.  It's harder then it looks, I would rather race a dirt late model in a national touring series then race a cup car. Dirt is for racing asphalt is for getting there.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No way.  I don't have the stamina to fight one of those cup cars for 500mi.

Back in my misspent youth I owned a highly modified 1983 T-Bird Turbo Coupe.  I blew the turbo.
Me and a couple buddies raided the local junkyard and came out with the entire top end from an '86 Mustang SVO.
Same short block as my T-Bird but a much better top end.  Something around 220hp from that glorified Pinto engine.  Pretty good in it's day.  Damn fine GT car.  But I digress.

Reader's digest version.  I used to tag along with the local BMW club when they had their track days at Portland International Raceway in the mid 90's.
To make a long story short I made a good showing against all those Bimmers.
I also found out I for real tired after about 10 laps of flogging the T-Bird around PIR.  At the time I was in great shape.  But there was no way I could have kept that up driving at 100% for a two or three hour stint.
View Quote

I did a 2.5 hour stint in my own car at Texas World Speedway (2.9mi 15 turn road course using TWS' oval front straight from turn 4 to turn 1).  As hobbies go, an absolute high point in my life, and totally exhausting.  The physical load drops with the mental load, though, and as you get better mentally, the physical side gets easier.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've raced on a track that Nascar races on, in a car nowhere near as fast.  I already knew it wasn't so easy, but that really drove the point home.  The sustained G forces on the high banking are crazy.

ETA:  I was a roadracer, not oval, and most roadcourses that aren't part of a big oval don't have banked turns.  The G forces in the banking were seriously screwing with my head.  No way I could have done it for hours nonstop...my races were usually 30 minutes long.
View Quote

Shot in the dark - Fontana?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I think I'd do alright.

I could certainly get closer to their lap times than they could get to mine.

This is how I spent the past weekend.  

http://youtu.be/sqY1sfQmWPY
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd imagine that a few of us with some natural talent, and a couple years of racing experience, could drive a NASCAR car around the track and look the part, after having 40 hours of seat time in the car/chassis to be used.

"Racing" one, and being competitive, would require 100's of hours of additional seat time

I raced for few years in the NE region at Lime Rock, Pocono, and Watkins Glen

I progressed from my Novice SCCA license, to my "Full Competitive" SCCA license over the course of three summers. I competed in the " American Sedan" class (AS), production modified Ford Mustangs 302 CID. I'd need quite a bit of practice to get back there today, and these cars were tame compared to a Sprint Cup car.

Just to get a Novice permit requires an extensive physical exam, and a review of your medical history. Then you need to pass the road test in the proper vehicle, at a SCCA Drivers School. Rentals are sometimes available for $750-$2000 for the test.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Can make left turns...check
Can drive fast...check
Can act like a good ol boy...check
Desire private jet and yacht...check
Looking for a lot of pussy...check

Yes.  I could do it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Show me a successful NASCAR driver that was not groomed/trained from a young age to drive.

It's kind of a stupid question to ask if the average arfcommer could get up off his couch and drive in a NASCAR race right now. Maybe some could, but not many.

The real question is could the average arfcommer drive in a NASCAR race given the same grooming and training that actual NASCAR drivers have had.

The answer to that question is: YES.

View Quote

you're missing the natural talent part of your equation

even in a racing family it can skip a generation... look at kyle petty
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Whole lotta derp-in going on in this thread. From both sides.
View Quote

no, there's only derp from one side

I raced at terry labonte's home track, corpus Christi speedway

therefore, if somebody would just give me the chance I could win a couple winson sprint cup championships

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Show me a successful NASCAR driver that was not groomed/trained from a young age to drive.

It's kind of a stupid question to ask if the average arfcommer could get up off his couch and drive in a NASCAR race right now. Maybe some could, but not many.

The real question is could the average arfcommer drive in a NASCAR race given the same grooming and training that actual NASCAR drivers have had.

The answer to that question is: YES.

Not to quote Tex. but I don't wanna go back through the thread. Carl Edwards he was not groomed or brought up to be a race car driver. He knew people and got a break and made it work. I was in a track meeting with him when he got called to drive the Mittler brothers truck. He walked out and said he had to take that call. He came back in and said I don't care about the rules I'm going Craftsman Truck racing and left. Well you know the rest of the story.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, fuck it.  I own a gun. Therefore I can certainly hit a target out to a 1000 yards, no problem.

I also have a knife. I'm pretty certain I can do surgery.

And with all these pots and pans I have, I can for sure open up a world class restaurant.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:40:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:27:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I am not sized appropriately.

I have a photo of a driver with his mouth open with me laughing. Right before the picture he looked up and said "shit". He stood on his toes so his head was above my chest. Those are some little people.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 1:30:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Well, fuck it.  I own a gun. Therefore I can certainly hit a target out to a 1000 yards, no problem.

I also have a knife. I'm pretty certain I can do surgery.

And with all these pots and pans I have, I can for sure open up a world class restaurant.

View Quote

You just describe .....Jerry
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:50:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I raced Legend Car's for several years. We used the same format as Nascar, on up to 1/2 mile oval, full road courses and dirt.I have won a "few" races; it is very hard.
I raced NHRA Division Six for many years in Super/Street. It is also very difficult to win[a few also].
 I watched Eliott Forbes Robinson get in my Legend Car and make lap's faster than I ever could.
  I know I could not drive at the speed or distance those guy,s can!!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Nope, I am a fairly competent driver, have done a few driving schools and have done some racing but I am not to that level, yet.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:51:34 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
NP

Juan Pablo Montoya won seven races and had thirty podium finishes in Formula 1 racing.

He also had a pile of wins in other open wheel cars, yet never mastered NASCAR. He is not the only one. Most road racers wash out.

Explain that away.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?

I never said it would be easy. Might take a couple practice laps but I'm sure I could get the hang of it.

NP

Explain that away.

I can't explain why some Mexican guy I never heard of sucks at driving.

What comes naturally to some can be a struggle for others.  You either got it or you don't.

YMMV.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top