What's your oval Irating?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. It would take some practice, but I know I could handle it. I already complete in full races with my friends weekly.

Oh I forgot the open lobbies, pretty sure a few of them were NASCAR drivers.

Online full simulator, racing wheel, movements etc...

Iracing?
Bingo! Wrapped in it.    We race each NASCAR track, practice like they do, run the full thing.

After 3 hours the mind starts playing tricks on you.

If I could simulate the heat helmet etc.. I would.

Yeah, I've been on there since 2012.

What's your oval Irating?
I think without logging in its 3.7 something.

Should be closer to 4 though. We started messing around and wrecking each other on purpose one day.

We race in NR2003 and forgot which one we were on.

We started with iRacing then figured out that they dont have every track that NASCAR has.

So we switched, I have been iRacing some but have been drifting away. Especially since Bull Ring released their Gen 5 mod.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

We do have a professional driver on the board. I suspect he'd do a decent job, but only he can say for certain.

I for one know I can't. I know where my talent lies, and it's working on them, not driving 'em.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I could easily beat Danica at least.

She would not only drive circles around you and me but she's better than at least half the rest of the current field.

Most people don't have any concept on how hard it is to just qualify.

Just run one lap and make the race.

I'll go on record and say positively that not one person here could take a cup car and qualify it.

We do have a professional driver on the board. I suspect he'd do a decent job, but only he can say for certain.

I for one know I can't. I know where my talent lies, and it's working on them, not driving 'em.

We have a few pro drivers here. I used to drive in the Grand Am Rolex Series (now called Tudor United Sportscar Championship) in a Porsche and I know of at least one other member here who was (I think still is) driving a Ferrari in the same series.

All I can say is that racing at a high level is much harder than it looks, and the guys at the top levels are FAST. Being in the seat at speed ALL THE TIME is the only way to maintain the form those guys are in. Most people, even if they had the natural ability, won't ever get enough seat time to reach and maintain the level of the pros. It takes being in the car at least every weekend and usually throughout the week as well. The budgets required to get enough seat time are outrageous, which is why I mostly drove on weekends. The big name guys are in the seat every day.

I have heard some folks say they could do it because they are good on a simulator. Being good on a simulator is all well and good, and it will teach some of the fundamentals, but a simulator won't let you feel the fear. My first real race, I had a lot of time on sims, and about shat myself once we got out there for real. And there is no reset button. Coming back from a big crash and being fast again is not an easy thing to do in real life. It takes a while to numb yourself to the fear and the potential consequences of a mistake and just go balls out.

With that all said, I have seen some people pick up racing pretty quickly and be very good. I have seen some people race 20 years and suck the whole time. Natural talent does play into it. Balls are a key component as well. You gotta have big balls if you want to get good. And an even bigger wallet lol

So could I race in the Sprint Cup? Honestly I'm not sure. I could probably qualify near the back. I could probably finish the race without crashing. Would I win? No way in hell. I have won pro races before but winning in Nascar ain't easy. I can assure you the performance gap between a Nascar Sprint Cup driver and average Joe is about the same as any professional sport. It would be like trying to play linebacker in the NFL or ball in the NBA.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:40:31 AM EDT
[#3]
nascar is gay. open wheel, moto gp, wrc, dakar etc is where its at
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I bet I could qualify at Watkins Glen or Sonoma.

I grew up racing carts won two state championships in California at 14 & 15 and later raced formula 2000 in a series.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#5]
dont know, never tried
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#7]
EVERYONE who said yes sucks cock by choice and is a fucking idiot.  Liars.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 Now, if you want to talk about dragbikes at a pro level...........  
View Quote

Appropriate screen name
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wow. I'm shocked at all of the experienced guys thinking they could qualify.

How are you going to communicate to the crew chief that your car is a "little loose" in the exit of the turn but "tight" in the entrance of that same turn?

How is he going to know what a little loose to you is?

One of the main reasons those guys are so good, is because they can communicate what they feel. The reason teams/crew chiefs are so good is because they can decipher what the driver is saying. When they talk about chemistry, that is what they mean.

When the difference in the whole field of 43 cars is .1 seconds and 1/2lb of air out of the right rear is .03 seconds of a difference, I'm going to be skeptical any of you guys can just climb in and qualify. Too many variables.

Many pro drivers try NASCAR and fail.
View Quote

If you're dealing with a top crew chief and team,  they'll be able to get it dialed in.

Seat time is the key to the equation.

Eta

Assuming you have natural ability.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Nascar requires little skill. Sure i can make a left hand turn for hours.
F1 racing , on the other hand, requries massive skill and you have to be in great shape mentally and physicaly to endure all the twists and turns your going to have to make on the track.
Look at the nascar drivers compared to the F1 drivers. Most Nascar drivers are fat and out of shape. How many Fat F1 drivers do you see?
How many Nascar drivers have to remember each turn and where to hit the Apex? Hmmmm, none! Because all they have to do is make a Left Hand Turn!
View Quote

AFAIK - The only racer to ever hit a track dryer was an ex-F1 racer (JPM).  
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Nearly everyone here craps on Danica Patrick but not a single one of us can drive like she can.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I did 8 or 10 laps in a Richard petty car at Atlanta once.
I can tell you with no hesitation that at this moment, I could not do 200 miles in July.
Any of us would be mentally exhausted after 10 minutes.
View Quote

This.  I have done it.  It's a blast, but it is exhausting, and we were in governed vehicles.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#13]

That is Papyrus NASCAR 2003 he is playing, a simulator unmatched in realism to this day. Nobody playing it for the first time makes a full lap without crashing.

It took a hell of a long time for me to become even somewhat competitive at this game, I have no delusions of being able to compete at NASCAR level.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Dunning–Kruger effect is alive and well on Arfcom.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This.  I have done it.  It's a blast, but it is exhausting, and we were in governed vehicles.

http://s10.postimg.org/pgaq9y8s9/Capture.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I did 8 or 10 laps in a Richard petty car at Atlanta once.
I can tell you with no hesitation that at this moment, I could not do 200 miles in July.
Any of us would be mentally exhausted after 10 minutes.

http://s10.postimg.org/pgaq9y8s9/Capture.jpg

Me too.

20 laps.

Without a doubt, the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

I had the best lap time.

Beat an ARCA driver getting his license to run on mile and a half tracks by several thousandths.

Dick stayed hard all day and my face hurt the next day from smiling.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Not on my best day.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am pretty sure I would let her beat me.  Then repeat, and again, and again, and again.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Doubt it..   But I sure as shit would have fun trying
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

How are you going to communicate to the crew chief that your car is a "little loose" in the exit of the turn but "tight" in the entrance of that same turn?

One of the main reasons those guys are so good, is because they can communicate what they feel. The reason teams/crew chiefs are so good is because they can decipher what the driver is saying. When they talk about chemistry, that is what they mean.

When the difference in the whole field of 43 cars is .1 seconds and 1/2lb of air out of the right rear is .03 seconds of a difference, I'm going to be skeptical any of you guys can just climb in and qualify. Too many variables.

View Quote

All good points. I could hand the mental and physical strain, and if I had a good car I could hang with the field. But getting that good car via the above would take a bit of experience. Perhaps a superior sensor suite would bring me the edge I need.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#20]
After having the pleasure of running an Indycar for 10 laps on an empty track in my 20's, I can say for a fact that there is no way
I would have wanted to do it in a crowd at the time and now in my mid 40's...you could not get me back in to that car at all today.

I understand my mortality and have no desire to test it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Does driving a nascar at Pocono Speedway for 20 miles count?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
lol

I love it.

Half of ARF can drive like a NASCAR driver.

I bet it is the same half that thinks Bruce Lee could kick Mike Tyson's ass.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#23]
OOPS!

Double tap
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#24]
No way.  I don't have the stamina to fight one of those cup cars for 500mi.

Back in my misspent youth I owned a highly modified 1983 T-Bird Turbo Coupe.  I blew the turbo.
Me and a couple buddies raided the local junkyard and came out with the entire top end from an '86 Mustang SVO.
Same short block as my T-Bird but a much better top end.  Something around 220hp from that glorified Pinto engine.  Pretty good in it's day.  Damn fine GT car.  But I digress.

Reader's digest version.  I used to tag along with the local BMW club when they had their track days at Portland International Raceway in the mid 90's.
To make a long story short I made a good showing against all those Bimmers.
I also found out I for real tired after about 10 laps of flogging the T-Bird around PIR.  At the time I was in great shape.  But there was no way I could have kept that up driving at 100% for a two or three hour stint.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Me can.

Not really

gd
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
since quite a few here can hit 300 against a major league pitcher...

how many here can go in circles for 5 hrs at 200 mph?
View Quote

I did the Nascar experience in Charlotte Hitting only 160 MPH, and I can tell you first hand the amount of havoc that any of us non-professional race car drivers would cause would be fun to watch. There is no possible way any of you could race at 200+ MPH in those cars and not hit anything and everything out there.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I cannot.  I have a deep-seated need to turn left and right.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I've raced on a track that Nascar races on, in a car nowhere near as fast.  I already knew it wasn't so easy, but that really drove the point home.  The sustained G forces on the high banking are crazy.

ETA:  I was a roadracer, not oval, and most roadcourses that aren't part of a big oval don't have banked turns.  The G forces in the banking were seriously screwing with my head.  No way I could have done it for hours nonstop...my races were usually 30 minutes long.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I could totally race Nascar when I find time away from kicking Mike Tysons ass

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Question for all the guys here who have racing experience and think they can compete in NASCAR.

Why are you not making millions on the NASCAR circuit right now?

Please entertain me with your pathetic excuses.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Are you bald?

I am guessing you are, since you have the hat on while seated in the car for the picture.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not me, but I did go to a Bondurant Formula Ford school many years ago and I wouldn't even want to race in that series.

http://m1.i.pbase.com/o4/72/325172/1/56451311.PIR1send.jpg

http://m8.i.pbase.com/o4/72/325172/1/56451198.PIR3send.jpg

http://m1.i.pbase.com/o4/72/325172/1/56451301.PIR4send.jpg

Are you bald?

I am guessing you are, since you have the hat on while seated in the car for the picture.
Nope.

Still have a full head of hair......
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Stupit question. This is the web. This is ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't even like driving on a busy freeway.

Fuck that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

this.   I might come in last  but I'll keep it off the wall at least.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I would run out of Cheetos after the third lap.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I think NASCAR is an incredibly boring form of motorsport, but I won't deny that those drivers are some talented motherfuckers with big brass ones.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Depends how late I am for work!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please don't interject reality to GD.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#39]
There may be 1 person here that could do it competively.  There may be a couple that could finish the race in dead last.  There would be many that would crash and burn before lap 20.  The rest would all get black flagged for going to slow.

No, I could not race at that level.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I wanna go fast
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I can't even race at the NASCAR *video game* level.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Not sure, never tried it.  

I'm sure I could handle the car at 200 mph but the 5 hours thing would be a bitch.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Not sure, never tried it.  

I'm sure I could handle the car at 200 mph but the 5 hours thing would be a bitch.

View Quote

Really?

What point of reference do you now have that lets you know when the tires are about to lose traction at that speed?
Hint: It does NOT feel the same at 200MPH as it does at 100MPH.

I'm sure you would crash.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overconfidence_effect
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#44]
No problem. Put me in coach.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#45]
lol
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#46]
I would love to try
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:46:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Question:  if it's really that easy, why are there so many wrecks?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Show me a successful NASCAR driver that was not groomed/trained from a young age to drive.

It's kind of a stupid question to ask if the average arfcommer could get up off his couch and drive in a NASCAR race right now. Maybe some could, but not many.

The real question is could the average arfcommer drive in a NASCAR race given the same grooming and training that actual NASCAR drivers have had.

The answer to that question is: YES.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:48:36 PM EDT
[#49]
I spent most of my younger years driving many things right to the edge, was very very good at it..but no way could I go out and compete..would take a life time of practice/racing to even get the seat time needed to get up to speed let alone compete.. Most have no idea that feeling when you come into a corner hot and the diff between making it and wadding it up is that imperceptible feeling coming thru your fingers, toes and ass...then translating that to the controls with finesse. Let alone figuring out what adjustments are needed to make it better...........
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Nope.

I'm not crazy enough to be fast enough for any type of racing. I've never raced in a formal competition and I'm sure I would make a very poor showing if I managed to not end up on my roof in a ball of fire.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top