where do hogs hang out anyhow?

Under my feeder.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Under my feeder.

haha, I meant naturally speaking. natural habitat? bogs? little ravines?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
they are screaming, .

LMAO

That is most telling about you and your attitude.

+1

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Under my feeder.

haha, I meant naturally speaking. natural habitat? bogs? little ravines?

Pretty much whereever they want... but mostly in Texas...  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I just saw the video...Thats hunting how?

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you even pay attention to the stupidity of that statement?  ANOTHER kill shot?

How are you going to kill something that is already dead?

If an animal is already dead from a heart shot and nervous twitching occurs, you are not going to make it "more dead" by shooting it in the head.  Trust me, I've seen people try... the animal doesn't stop moving just because you shoot it in the head.

Apparently you are referring to other types of shots. I am referring to a follow-up shot to put them out of their misery-- its not so difficult to understand THAT THEY AREN"T DEAD YET. Watch the video-- they are screaming, trying to breathe, kicking, etc. They are still alive. Yeah, they will probably die, but why do they have to suffer-- shoot them again with a follow-up shot, a kill-shot, not a maiming shot to kill them sooner than later.

I can't believe you guys are this slow... oh wait, yes I can.

Apparently you aren't too good at the whole reading comprehension thing.

Those animals are in the process of dying.  You aren't going to stop nervous twitching by shooting an animal in the head to "put it out of its misery".  That's what I'm pointing out.  If you have already made a kill shot, there is no point in shooting the animal again.

Funny how all the hunters in the thread are pointing out that you don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about but WE are the "slow" ones.

"Maiming shot"...

Do some hunting, find yourself a clue out there somewhere, and then come back to preach about ethical hunting.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You would have LOVED the follow up shot I made on a large sow.  She and two of her buddies made the mistake of 'doubling back' on our dogs.  I caught them edging across a field.  she went down first (A1 upper, Bushmaster-semi, no suppressor).

Her buddies took off running.  I fired at the middle one (first one was on the ground kicking)  After several offhand shots (damn, that lead is tricky when they are running) I saw the middle one stumble.  I knew it was hit, so I adjusted fire to the leader.

He took three hits.  Two to the chest, one to the hip.

The middle one kept running, at a reducing rate.

I gave chase, and the dogs finally caught her.

The first one was shot in the back, crippled, not dead.

Since there was no need to waste another round, I used a large knife and cut her throat.  You should watch the beheading videos to get an idea of what it looked and sounded like.

I cut her throat because there was no need for a follow up.  Most hogs, for hundreds, if not thousands, of years have been killed with a simple stab to the jugular.  Good enough for my ancestors, good enough for me.

TRG

I wished you had it on video, so we could get even more PETA freaks to come out of the woodwork.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You would have LOVED the follow up shot I made on a large sow.  She and two of her buddies made the mistake of 'doubling back' on our dogs.  I caught them edging across a field.  she went down first (A1 upper, Bushmaster-semi, no suppressor).

Her buddies took off running.  I fired at the middle one (first one was on the ground kicking)  After several offhand shots (damn, that lead is tricky when they are running) I saw the middle one stumble.  I knew it was hit, so I adjusted fire to the leader.

Since there was no need to waste another round, I used a large knife and cut her throat.  You should watch the beheading videos to get an idea of what it looked and sounded like.

I cut her throat because there was no need for a follow up.  Most hogs, for hundreds, if not thousands, of years have been killed with a simple stab to the jugular.  Good enough for my ancestors, good enough for me.

TRG

I wished you had it on video, so we could get even more PETA freaks to come out of the woodwork.

+1! God I'm loving this thread!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:18:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Like others have said, he is probably eliminating pests, not hunting.

In MS, TX, and several other states, hogs are considered vermin/pests/nuisance and there is no bag limit or season on them.  They do a lot of damage and eat stuff that you don't want them to eat so many people do whatever it takes to get rid of them.

Some of you really would whine if you saw how a lot of people control a hog population.  A lot of people catch them in live traps, then walk up and shoot them in the head with a .22lr.  They're like big noisy, stinky, destructive rats.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Those animals are in the process of dying.  You aren't going to stop nervous twitching by shooting an animal in the head to "put it out of its misery".  That's what I'm pointing out.  If you have already made a kill shot, there is no point in shooting the animal again.

Funny how all the hunters in the thread are pointing out that you don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about but WE are the "slow" ones.

"Maiming shot"...

Do some hunting, find yourself a clue out there somewhere, and then come back to preach about ethical hunting.

Apparently you didn't watch the video-- twitching is one thing-- trying to breathe is another. They weren't "twitching" they were sqealing and squirming trying to breathe. Notice the blood continually spraying? that's probably because its ATTEMPTING TO BREATHE..... its not twitching cus its dead.

And "all the hunters" in this thread think its a good shoot-- but that doesn't negatte the fact that another shot could be used to kill them FASTER. Yes, they will probably die-- so why not do it sooner?

Touche.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Or, I'll send you in with a bolt action, a scope and a spotlight.  Let you make that clean 'kill shot'.

The issue isn't about a "clean kill shot"-- its about a follow-up kill shot(s) to put them out of their misery.

TRG

Okay... I'm rolling now...

But seriously - ethical caliber debate be damned, I usually only take my AR hog hunting. I like to stalk and you never know what you might run into. I consider my couple of 30 rounders self-protection. If I am still-hunting (stand or otherwise) I'll use my bolt action 30.06 but keep the 1911 locked and loaded. A scoped hunting rifle does you no good at close range distances.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:19:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In MS, TX, and several other states, hogs are considered vermin/pests/nuisance and there is no bag limit or season on them.  They do a lot of damage and eat stuff that you don't want them to eat so many people do whatever it takes to get rid of them.

Some of you really would whine if you saw how a lot of people control a hog population.  A lot of people catch them in live traps, then walk up and shoot them in the head with a .22lr.  They're like big noisy, stinky, destructive rats.

Ok that's it. I need to hog hunting.... I've been talking about how the houston crew should have a group hunt, but apparently I've been told this is actually a very unsafe idea. Either way I need to go kill some hogs.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The first pig was still kickin' after the second one was shot.  There was an obvious splice in the footage so it's hard to tell the lapse.  I'm pro-hunting all the way, but I hate seeing an animal suffer.

Unless you destroy the lower part of the brain, animals sometimes still move a bit as everything discharges.

I'm pretty sure that first pig was clinically dead when it hit the ground.

Agreed.  The 1st pig was not suffering.  Just twitchin
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

+1! God I'm loving this thread!

Oh shit.....I just remembered I have a video of a pig getting it throat cut from a few years ago.

SHIT.....these fuckers would pass out if they think those hogs were suffering.

I will mail it to someone if they know how to post it.

It is freaking AWESOME.......it will freak some people out now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Maiming shot"...

Apparently you didn't watch the video-- twitching is one thing-- trying to breathe is another. They weren't "twitching" they were sqealing and squirming trying to breathe. Notice the blood continually spraying? that's probably because its ATTEMPTING TO BREATHE..... its not twitching cus its dead.

And "all the hunters" in this thread think its a good shoot-- but that doesn't negatte the fact that another shot could be used to kill them FASTER. Yes, they will probably die-- so why not do it sooner?

Touche.

The pig was dying.  Things die noisily sometimes.  That doesn't change the fact that it was an excellent kill shot and there was no need for a follow-up shot.

Good hunters don't keep shooting something until it stops moving.  A good hunter knows when an animal is dead even if the animal doesn't know it yet.

Again, go hunt for a few years and come back with a clue.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TRG

I don't think they are really PETA freaks, but they sure as hell don't know much about where thier meat comes from. Killing animals is not a painless procedure. Cows and pigs kick and thrash and make noise when they are killed in a processing plant. Ever cut a chickens head off? Instant Death" Sure, but they flop and scratch and beat thier wings. Ever cut a snakes head off? I've cleaned rattlesnakes to eat that were still wiggling and curling 15 minutes after they were skinned. It's not always pretty, just a fact of life and death... fullclip
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The pig was dying.  Things die noisily sometimes.  That doesn't change the fact that it was an excellent kill shot and there was no need for a follow-up shot.

Good hunters don't keep shooting something until it stops moving.  A good hunter knows when an animal is dead even if the animal doesn't know it yet.

So you now agree the pig wasn't twitching, it was still alive, but dying...

So.... how do you know they weren't exterminating instead of hunting to keep the meat?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here in North Florida the wildlife commission used to poison them then collect all the carcasses and burn them in big piles in the management areas and national forest. Pests would be an understatement
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I don't think they are really PETA freaks, but they sure as hell don't know much about where thier meat comes from. Killing animals is not a painless procedure. Cows and pigs kick and thrash and make noise when they are killed in a processing plant. Ever cut a chickens head off? Instant Death" Sure, but they flop and scratch and beat thier wings. Ever cut a snakes head off? I've cleaned rattlesnakes to eat that were still wiggling and curling 15 minutes after they were skinned. It's not always pretty, just a fact of life and death... fullclip

But these pigs didn't have their heads chopped off, nor were they shot in the head, and you can tell in the video, especially the 2nd one-- it wasn't twitching-- it was still alive and kicking, so to speak...

If you get shot in the chest, you aren't dead. You may die instantly, or live for a bit and suffer in pain.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you now agree the pig wasn't twitching, it was still alive, but dying...

So.... how do you know they weren't exterminating instead of hunting to keep the meat?

The pig was dead when it hit the ground, it just didn't know it yet.  So yes, what you see as "suffering" was actually the process of death which involves a lot of thrashing around sometimes.

The first pig shot was simply twitching.

He very well could have been exterminating.  I applaud the guy either way.  Wild hogs are pests.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I got an idea, sport, why don't you just saunter up to that hog and pop him in the head, I am sure he will be so thankful that the adrenaline burst, upon seeing you, will not give him the strength he needs to stand up and defend himself?

TRG

Not to mention his buddies that may still be hanging around and decide to come after you...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't cause me to whine...God gave us opposable thumbs so we can rule the earth. I just think it is a stretch to call it 'hunting'. Like, this one time, in North Carolina, I went catfish fishing in a catfish farm....The hog's, I am sure they cause havoc.

We killed a few in Spain in the 90's. Filled it with 5.56 and 7.62 heard lead dropping in the pan and they cooked it...

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got an idea, sport, why don't you just saunter up to that hog and pop him in the head, I am sure he will be so thankful that the adrenaline burst, upon seeing you, will not give him the strength he needs to stand up and defend himself?

TRG

Not to mention his buddies that may still be hanging around and decide to come after you...

Hense the spare 30-round mag in your back pocket... More meat!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't cause me to whine...God gave us opposable thumbs so we can rule the earth. I just think it is a stretch to call it 'hunting'. Like, this one time, in North Carolina, I went catfish fishing in a catfish farm....The hog's, I am sure they cause havoc.

We killed a few in Spain in the 90's. Filled it with 5.56 and 7.62 heard lead dropping in the pan and they cooked it...

The whiner comment wasn't necessarily directed at you but some of the others here who must have been looking for PETA.com and got lost.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why did you call it fishing?

TRG

Thats the point I was trying to make.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Energizer, You ain't listening.

If the hog hits the ground, and does not get up and run, he's dead.  His body knows it, his brain knows it, his CNS knows it.

Firing again is not the 'right' choice.

You watch that video again, ok?  You try spotting the head shot that you must be wanting.  Fire again, ok?

You think you are 100% certain that you neck shot will be top-dead-center on the brain?  You're adrenaline is flowing, the hog is writhing, the dust is flying, and you honestly think you can hit that hog again with a 'perfect' shot?

I have seen hogs shot through the nose, cheek, mouth, throat, stomach, groin, hips, shoulder...  all on 'Follow-Up' shots.  they did hte hog no favor, it just increased its suffering.

TRG

You aren't listening-- its suffering, not twitching. big difference. I never implied following up wth one and only one shot-- I said kill it as fast as you can, multiple shots as necessary. Letting it suffer isn't cool.

Nobody said anything about walking up to it-- I said take another shot (or more) and finish it off-- they used a rifle-- use it again.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I clicked on this thread just as my girlfriend fired up the garlic pork roast we are having from a hog I killed last week.  Nice shoot!

There's alot of texans in this thread, but the best hogs come from the central coastline in california hands down.  They are BIGGER and better tasting than texas hogs.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The whiner comment wasn't necessarily directed at you but some of the others here who must have been looking for PETA.com and got lost.

Yeah... and these whiners would absolutely die if they went on a "real hunt" with just dogs and a knife. There is nothing wrong with baiting. Technology and knowledge has increased our ability to take prey better than any other predator. Therefore, we have choices of how we want to hunt for our food. We can be very barbaric with only blades or we can pick it up in a supermarket wrapped in plastic or we can hunt over bait with a perfect shooting bolt action rifle. If a person does not like this, he or she can always go live on the island with the tattooed leopard man.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah... and these whiners would absolutely die if they when on a "real hunt" with just dogs and a knife. There is nothing wrong with baiting. Technology and knowledge has increased our ability to take prey better than any other predator. Therefore, we have choices of how we want to hunt for our food. We can be very barbaric with only blades or we can pick it up in a supermarket wrapped in plastic or we can hunt over bait with a perfect shooting bolt action rifle. If a person does not like this, he or she can always go live on the island with the tattooed leopard man.

www.studentbmj.com/issues/02/06/life/images/tattoo_leopard2.jpg

wow, that looks like the enigma's brother or something!

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
They are BIGGER and better tasting than texas hogs.

ppffftt.

Our pigs are better than your damned commie cali pigs. Bigger too.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ppffftt.

Our pigs are better than your damned commie Kalifornikstan pigs. Bigger too.

Fixed it for you...

Useless fact: "Feral Hogs are found in around 19 states now. The state with the largest population is Texas." (http://www.texasboars.com/articles/facts.html)
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
they are screaming, .

LMAO

That is most telling about you and your attitude.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Our pigs are better than your damned commie cali pigs. Bigger too.

I dunno about Texas, but the 325# boar I killed in central California sure tasted good.  It's the yogurt and granola they get fed on...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#44]
hrm, guess he ran away. oh well. party's over
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Apparently you haven't read where I already replied to this. The pigs are still alive and suffering. They are squirming-- they are not dead yet. Yeah, they might die sometime, but they are still kicking-- a follow-up shot should be issued to KILL them.

Dude,
            They are not feeling anything. The twitching is an involuntary muscle reation.
            Check out the vidoe of the dude who caps himself with a .45 in the head at the police station.
             Same exact thing. Blow his brains out and twitches.

Please don't watch my tuna fishing video. You should see the albacore, bluefin and dorado I catch flop around. Should I put a bullet in their heads?

To the ignorant who don't know that hogs cause millions of dollars in farm damage each year.
Do some research. better to be silent and thought a fool, that to post here and remove all doubt.
The hunting on the video was legit and if anybody in TX would like to invite me, I'm there.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Warning... Predators attacking prey in this photo... Nature in action... If you cannot handle real life, look away!

Eeeeeegad... I sure hope those dogs made sure the hog didn't suffer as it died...
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ppffftt.

Our pigs are better than your damned commie Kalifornikstan pigs. Bigger too.

Fixed it for you...

Useless fact: "Feral Hogs are found in around 19 states now. The state with the largest population is Texas." (http://www.texasboars.com/articles/facts.html)

I am not implying that there are more hogs in california than texas.  However there is a shitload in kalifornia, just like texas.  I have eaten hogs from both states and hunted plenty.  Kalifornia hogs are superior in size and taste.  The pigs here have years and years to just relax and eat from barley fields.  They grow big, mean and tasty.  Out of the 4 hogs I have killed in just this month, 1 was a small one at 115 lb's, a sow at 260 lb's, a boar at 273 lb's, and a monster boar at 414 lb's with 3.88" cutters.  thats not even THAT big compared to past hogs around here....  I haven't see the consistancy in large boars in texas that I have seen here.  Argue all you want, but I still kill monthly what texans consider to be "super trophies".
Page / 11
Top Top