Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The alloy is intriguing. As for price point, I'm thinking Sphur.
View Quote

I am guessing you are right.  I couldn't even justify a Spuhr for my AI when Badger rings work just fine for almost a 1/3 of the cost and are steel (I like steel).
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That picture is all sorts of screwed up.  Sling swivels going every which way.  Finishes don't match, could've at least arranged from best to worst finish.  Several different grades of wood on the stocks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Won't buy any mount with that stupid upraised chunk of metal in the middle that makes it near impossible to level with feeler gauges.

You can eye a scope level easy and probably be a thin cunt-hair of a degree off and still retain proper windage and elevation adjustments at extreme long range...

What if your OCD won't allow that

What emotions does this picture conjure?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/radionicist/Garand/garandrack.jpg

That picture is all sorts of screwed up.  Sling swivels going every which way.  Finishes don't match, could've at least arranged from best to worst finish.  Several different grades of wood on the stocks.
Plus no rifle rack?  WTH.  Some of those finishes are going to get dinged up when a bulldog happens to bump one of those rifles.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Won't buy any mount with that stupid upraised chunk of metal in the middle that makes it near impossible to level with feeler gauges.

You can eye a scope level easy and probably be a thin cunt-hair of a degree off and still retain proper windage and elevation adjustments at extreme long range...

What if your OCD won't allow that

#2 and #7 from the left make me feel funny "down there"
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#4]
But does it come with geissele dust?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:13:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Gents,

Like many of Geissele's products the Super Precision mounts started with the DOD and a specific request.  I didn't develop these in a vacuum, but put together the design specification from what I was told, and the things lacking in other scope mounts that are on the market.

What was needed was a mount that

*was very stiff and did not use the scope as a structural member
*highly accurately machined and true ring bores
*a specific way of clamping to the upper receiver picatinny (using the Vees, not the loosely toleranced top as a datum)
*integral shear lugs that had a close fit to the slots in the upper receiver
*QD, toolless was not needed
*no levers which don't hold up (don't shoot me, not my words but theirs)
*proper fit to the scopes that the mount is used for (no rings jammed up against the turrets or objective)
*the best possible return to zero that can be achieved

Here is how the design was approached:

Stiffness:  using 5 axis machining, lightening pockets are generously used so that the structure of the mount is much stiffer than a mount with thin sections.  A full length rib is used between the rings and also one coming off the back ring.  No spindley flexible flyer extensions.  The cross bolts are spread out, not close together

Accurate rings:  The entire mount in the op's picture is machined from a 4.6lb block of billet 7075-T651 aluminum, the rings are "line bored" one to the other (no separate caps), exactly true to the bottom picatinny interface.  The caps are then finely cut from the bottom ring with a 0.015" jeweler's saw and each cap seriaized to its corresponding ring base (each mount has its own unique serial number)

Clamping:  Use of the U.S. Mil method by clamping to the Vee's, not the less accurate and secure "NATO" way.

Shear lugs:  Both clamp screws are machined with flats to act as shear lugs and with a low height to the slot, there are also two integral machined in shear lugs that are a close fit to the receiver.....almost no movement backwards and forwards.  This is the right way to set up for a semi-automatic weapon with recoil and counter recoil forces.

QD:  My customer leaves the mount on the weapon and does not have a need to flip back and forth between guns and deal with the corresponding rezero.  Also, they now jump with the optic on the gun instead of removed so there is no need to install after insertion.  The cross bolts clamp the mount to the upper with over 1,400 pounds of force for each bolt.  No lever system can compare to this kind of secure attachment.

Levers: their call.  (That being said a "tool less" version of the Super Precision clamping system is being developed)

Proper fit:  The mount in the op's picture was designed specifically to fit the Vortex 1-6x24.  The rings are right in the center of the gap between turret and eyepiece when the scope is at the correct eye relief.  Because we machine out of a solid block we have the ability to put the rings and cross bolts where ever we want....there are no constraints.  That does not mean it won't fit other scopes.....its just made perfectly for the Vortex

RTZ: cross bolts that are spread out, full angle contact on the clamp wedges (not partial on the top angle), U.S. Mil picatinny interface, good shear lugs, stiff mount so that the scope is no longer loaded structurally, or the scope is what keeps the mount together, high clamp loads and ultra tight tolerances give The Super Precision excellent return to zero with NO torquing values needed for the clamp nuts.  Just tighten by hand with a Letherman screwdriver or 1/2 wrench and go.  RTZ has been reported with just hand tightened nuts, even loose nuts and the scope and mount held on by the spotter.

Here is a picture of the 4.6lb aluminum billet we use and a picture of the resulting 5.1oz mount.  This is a 34MM mount in the picture.  Note how the mount is made in one shot, all features precisely machined to each other.

http://i60.tinypic.com/288608.jpg

At launch in Jan we plan to have 3 different types of 30mm mounts, 4 types of 34mm, black anodize and the DDC shown in the picture, 0 MOA, 20 MOA versions and mounts for the Aimpoint T1/T2, Trijicon MRO and others.

There are also two aluminum alloys available.  7055 Aluminum which is a stronger 7075 and also Alcoa's 2099 advanced Lithium/Aluminum alloy which is as strong as 7075 but lighter, stiffer and more corrosion resistant.  2099 is used in highly loaded airframes by Boeing and Airbus and is considered the cutting edge of aluminum alloy development.

Mount cost is around $350

WHG

and Mrs. ALG is bugging me for a mount of her own, target price of $75 with the ALG Square Deal

View Quote

Please make an ALG mount

please
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#7]
2oz lighter than the LT-104, nice.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Looking forward to all of G's mounts. Can't wait.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
5.1oz

View Quote

If the 7075 is 5.1oz, what will the 2099 one weight, if it's supposed to be lighter?
Would be cool if it was on par with the Aero lightweight mount.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#12]
So. Much. Want.

MRO?
T1?

TA33??????
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So. Much. Want.

MRO?
T1?

TA33??????
View Quote

Aimpoint Comp M3?

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:51:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Geissele all the things. In for a T1 mount.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I would be really interested if ALG made optic mounts
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

5.1oz is without hardware.  I wanted to show the reduction in the aluminum billet.

Each 17-4 PH stainless crossbolt, clamp and nut combo adds 0.9 oz

the 2099 mount will come with titanium bolts, so its hardware will be even lighter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5.1oz is without hardware.  I wanted to show the reduction in the aluminum billet.

the 2099 mount will come with titanium bolts, so its hardware will be even lighter

Please stop making me want to buy a $350 mount.
Build for the Vortex Razor, really light weight, cool alloy...
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
Same here.  The mount looks like top notch quality but I can't personally justify it at that price point.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Same here.  The mount looks like top notch quality but I can't personally justify it at that price point.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can justify a lot.

What I don't have is the cash.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the distinct feeling I'm gonna be broke starting next year...partially because the new mounts, probably because I'll be needing a new home after the SO finds out.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stopped trying to justify my gun purchases a long time ago.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Mini-ACOG mount please.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mini-ACOG mount please.
View Quote

What he said
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:12:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Looks like I'll be in for four micro T1 mounts, two or three TA33 mounts if made, and two scope mounts.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Gents,
Snip
View Quote

LOVE IT.

Now, BRING ME AN MRO MOUNT!
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:52:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I hope I don't have to buy these to be tier 1.  I was happy with my ADM mounts.  This is like cell phones.

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:38:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How often do you guys really use QD?
View Quote

I do pretty often.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Gents,

Like many of Geissele's products the Super Precision mounts started with the DOD and a specific request.  I didn't develop these in a vacuum, but put together the design specification from what I was told, and the things lacking in other scope mounts that are on the market.

*a specific way of clamping to the upper receiver picatinny (using the Vees, not the loosely toleranced top as a datum)

*proper fit to the scopes that the mount is used for (no rings jammed up against the turrets or objective)

Stiffness:  using 5 axis machining, lightening pockets are generously used so that the structure of the mount is much stiffer than a mount with thin sections.  A full length rib is used between the rings and also one coming off the back ring.  No spindley flexible flyer extensions.  The cross bolts are spread out, not close together

Accurate rings:  The entire mount in the op's picture is machined from a 4.6lb block of billet 7075-T651 aluminum, the rings are "line bored" one to the other (no separate caps), exactly true to the bottom picatinny interface.  The caps are then finely cut from the bottom ring with a 0.015" jeweler's saw and each cap seriaized to its corresponding ring base (each mount has its own unique serial number)

Clamping:  Use of the U.S. Mil method by clamping to the Vee's, not the less accurate and secure "NATO" way.

Shear lugs:  Both clamp screws are machined with flats to act as shear lugs and with a low height to the slot, there are also two integral machined in shear lugs that are a close fit to the receiver.....almost no movement backwards and forwards.  This is the right way to set up for a semi-automatic weapon with recoil and counter recoil forces.

QD:  My customer leaves the mount on the weapon and does not have a need to flip back and forth between guns and deal with the corresponding rezero.  Also, they now jump with the optic on the gun instead of removed so there is no need to install after insertion.  The cross bolts clamp the mount to the upper with over 1,400 pounds of force for each bolt.  No lever system can compare to this kind of secure attachment.

Levers: their call.  (That being said a "tool less" version of the Super Precision clamping system is being developed)

Proper fit:  The mount in the op's picture was designed specifically to fit the Vortex 1-6x24.  The rings are right in the center of the gap between turret and eyepiece when the scope is at the correct eye relief.  Because we machine out of a solid block we have the ability to put the rings and cross bolts where ever we want....there are no constraints.  That does not mean it won't fit other scopes.....its just made perfectly for the Vortex

RTZ: cross bolts that are spread out, full angle contact on the clamp wedges (not partial on the top angle), U.S. Mil picatinny interface, good shear lugs, stiff mount so that the scope is no longer loaded structurally, or the scope is what keeps the mount together, high clamp loads and ultra tight tolerances give The Super Precision excellent return to zero with NO torquing values needed for the clamp nuts.  Just tighten by hand with a Letherman screwdriver or 1/2 wrench and go.  RTZ has been reported with just hand tightened nuts, even loose nuts and the scope and mount held on by the spotter.

Here is a picture of the 4.6lb aluminum billet we use and a picture of the resulting 5.1oz mount.  This is a 34MM mount in the picture.  Note how the mount is made in one shot, all features precisely machined to each other.

At launch in Jan we plan to have 3 different types of 30mm mounts, 4 types of 34mm, black anodize and the DDC shown in the picture, 0 MOA, 20 MOA versions and mounts for the Aimpoint T1/T2, Trijicon MRO and others.

There are also two aluminum alloys available.  7055 Aluminum which is a stronger 7075 and also Alcoa's 2099 advanced Lithium/Aluminum alloy which is as strong as 7075 but lighter, stiffer and more corrosion resistant.  2099 is used in highly loaded airframes by Boeing and Airbus and is considered the cutting edge of aluminum alloy development.

WHG

and Mrs. ALG is bugging me for a mount of her own, target price of $75 with the ALG Square Deal

View Quote
Nice!  

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Geissele -

When you make the Alg mount add an option for a set of integrated notch and post rifle sights into the mount for COM 0-25 Y shots.

I will test it for free

ETA: one for extended eye relief for us NTCH shooters would be great too
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Gents,

WHG

View Quote

Bill, thank you for taking the time to explain it all. I've been thinking of building an light weight rifle for hunting and this may just be the mount for it. I'm very interested in the rtz performance and hope you'll have some data on that at launch.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Bill, this is EXACTLY what the gun world needs!

Innovation, like what comes from your company with stringent attention to detail of quality and application to the customer.

Companies like yours are what makes MADE IN USA an outstanding thing to see on a product!
Tell your employees they have put their efforts in the right direction and I will be making my purchase when you have them ready.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#32]
dooble tap
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If the 7075 is 5.1oz, what will the 2099 one weight, if it's supposed to be lighter?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
5.1oz

That would be beyond cool....++
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Anything less than 3" offset is way too short for me
View Quote

Do you even Beowulf X bro
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Gotta love all the people complaining about price and looks.

I'm in for one of the super lightweight 34mm mounts for my ECC and Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were these requested with the mounting bolts on the left?
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 4:14:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Anyone else notice a whole lot of used mounts for cheap on Facebook today?
It begins
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Well fuck......I didn't need to pay rent anyway.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You silly, you and all your 25,000 13er posts got me.  Ya made me look for last 24 hours in EE ... and there was none.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://s18.postimg.org/goq18wjvd/image.jpg

Anyone else notice a whole lot of used mounts for cheap on Facebook today?
It begins

You silly, you and all your 25,000 13er posts got me.  Ya made me look for last 24 hours in EE ... and there was none.

Figured after all the chips you've shoveled you'd know better.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Uh oh.. In for the mud wrestling.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Looking forward to all of G's mounts. Can't wait.
View Quote

This.  Thanks for the info dump!

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

A good reason to have QD is to jump without critical optics attached to the rifle ... their words, not mine ...

... or to get something pricey like this NV device off the rifle before submersing it into the ultrasonic cleaner. Again, their words, not mine.

And hey, we just happen to make the QD lever mount for it.  It being the most expensive optic device we know of to be military issue.  The Hubble barely beats it in clarity.

The curious question is why was something with this sort of price point recently fielded / spec'd for a DOD contract ...
... be spec'd with " levers which don't hold up "  ...

http://www.larue.com/images/picture1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

<snip>

A good reason to have QD is to jump without critical optics attached to the rifle ... their words, not mine ...

... or to get something pricey like this NV device off the rifle before submersing it into the ultrasonic cleaner. Again, their words, not mine.

And hey, we just happen to make the QD lever mount for it.  It being the most expensive optic device we know of to be military issue.  The Hubble barely beats it in clarity.

The curious question is why was something with this sort of price point recently fielded / spec'd for a DOD contract ...
... be spec'd with " levers which don't hold up "  ...

http://www.larue.com/images/picture1.jpg

Industry partner fight
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:06:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
snip
View Quote

Ayyyyyiiiiieeee, just step away brother.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Meanwhile everyone without brand loyalty continues to dump old QD mounts
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top