BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cant wait to see how folks explain this.

Report: More than rescue items taken from Seaside Heights store during Sandy

http://www.northjersey.com/news/Report_Firemen_took_more_than_Sandy_storm_supplies_from_store.html
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea fuck all those thieving scumbag responders (EMS and firefighters included) who worked day and night to help out those that refused to leave, or abide by warnings or common sense.

But The Star-Ledger found out through an Open Public Records request that much more than rescue gear went missing.

The newspaper reported Wednesday that a wide variety of merchandise was taken, including Elvis and Betty Boop plates, GI Joe statues, Swiss bayonets, handbags, comic books and golf balls.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/Report_Firemen_took_more_than_Sandy_storm_supplies_from_store.html

Fucking disgusting. The people who took those items, non-emergency gear, are scumbag thieves and deserve to be prosecuted and lose their pensions.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Need more details.

There is a basic concept of Anglo-American law known as the "necessity doctrine." Necessity is the mother of all defenses, and I'm allowed to damage or steal your property if it's immediately necessary to prevent some even greater harm. I am obligated to compensate you later for it, but in the here and now it's justifiable if it is indeed necessary to prevent greater harm. True for me, true for the government as well I would think.

So if what was taken here was indeed immediately needed to protect human life or health, or to facilitate saving a much larger amount/value of property, then it may have been justified.

ETA: If the reports about non-essential supplies/gear being taken are accurate, then that is dogshit.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Actually it did absolutely happen once that we all know about during the North hollywood shootout. At some point early on in the fight once they realized they were stuck with 9mm Beretta going up against Full Auto Ak's with shooters who were literally wrapped up in Kevlar a bunch of Officers drove to a gun shop ran inside explained what was going on and as I understand it the owner immediately started slamming boxes of rounds down on the counter and pulling long guns off the wall. It was a true life or death emergency, and that's how all sides treated it, and im sure the owner was compensated very well for his assistance and troubles.

Just to be crystal clear Sandy was absolutely nothing at all like that, eveyone was obviously on edge and the damage was very extensive and absolutely catastrophic in some areas, but we had plenty of warning first of all, and most importantly it became very clear probably by +12-16 hours into it that this was going to be a very serious storm  with massive amounts of property damage and displaced and homeless residents, but that thankfully loss of life was going to be minimal. Everybody was fully aware of that very early on. There was absolutely nothing in that mans store that would even remotely justify what they did even if  I believed they did so out of genuine concern and not stealing which I know wasn't the case.

IM saving most of my pictures for next week but again, September 11th 2001. Massive massive loss of life, complete chaos and panic early on, the primary Incident command center for the city being completely wiped out just out of bad luck of being located in WT. Thousands of people dead 343 First Responders and from what I recall at the time There were reports of exactly one instance of neccissary equipment or material being confiscated by the city without offering immediate reimbusement to the store keeper. That was done by a trio of Firefighters who were trying to treat who knows how many wounded and or dead at the scene who stumbled out of the massive dust cloud and into a Starbucks telling them they needed water and the pimply 20 something bumbling dumbass behind the counter tried to demand that these guys had to stop and pay for the case of water they were about to walk out and back into the storm with. They told him no and then left running right back into that hellhole that they just came out of.

Obviously starbucks offered an immediate apology a day or two later as if anyone even cared about that or the actions of that one dumbass behind a counter. That was pretty much it as I recall.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://newjersey.news12.com/features/sandy/first-responders-broke-into-shore-army-navy-in-seaside-heights-during-sandy-1.5744923

I would be pissed had this happened to my store. Negligent preparations by the city and its employees doesn't justify this kind of stuff.

Even more pissed because after the city employees stole his goods he had to spend months getting the city to pay, and they stiffed him for almost $30,000 difference between what they paid and what they took.

FWIW, if any of the government agencies in my area came to me during any emergency and said "we need gear fast" I would gladly go open the shop at any time under any conditions, get them what they needed, and send them off after the supervisor had simply signed an accurate count of what was taken and hash the rest out later. But to do what they did, spend months before they paid, take shit that wasn't essential, and not pay for 100%- that is simply inexcusable.

I wonder if this has happened in any other country before?

Ones you may have heard of.....hhmmmm

East Germany, Poland, Haiti, Argentina, Venezuela, Cuba.....I don't know.........

Actually it did absolutely happen once that we all know about during the North hollywood shootout. At some point early on in the fight once they realized they were stuck with 9mm Beretta going up against Full Auto Ak's with shooters who were literally wrapped up in Kevlar a bunch of Officers drove to a gun shop ran inside explained what was going on and as I understand it the owner immediately started slamming boxes of rounds down on the counter and pulling long guns off the wall. It was a true life or death emergency, and that's how all sides treated it, and im sure the owner was compensated very well for his assistance and troubles.

Just to be crystal clear Sandy was absolutely nothing at all like that, eveyone was obviously on edge and the damage was very extensive and absolutely catastrophic in some areas, but we had plenty of warning first of all, and most importantly it became very clear probably by +12-16 hours into it that this was going to be a very serious storm  with massive amounts of property damage and displaced and homeless residents, but that thankfully loss of life was going to be minimal. Everybody was fully aware of that very early on. There was absolutely nothing in that mans store that would even remotely justify what they did even if  I believed they did so out of genuine concern and not stealing which I know wasn't the case.

IM saving most of my pictures for next week but again, September 11th 2001. Massive massive loss of life, complete chaos and panic early on, the primary Incident command center for the city being completely wiped out just out of bad luck of being located in WT. Thousands of people dead 343 First Responders and from what I recall at the time There were reports of exactly one instance of neccissary equipment or material being confiscated by the city without offering immediate reimbusement to the store keeper. That was done by a trio of Firefighters who were trying to treat who knows how many wounded and or dead at the scene who stumbled out of the massive dust cloud and into a Starbucks telling them they needed water and the pimply 20 something bumbling dumbass behind the counter tried to demand that these guys had to stop and pay for the case of water they were about to walk out and back into the storm with. They told him no and then left running right back into that hellhole that they just came out of.

Obviously starbucks offered an immediate apology a day or two later as if anyone even cared about that or the actions of that one dumbass behind a counter. That was pretty much it as I recall.

You would be wrong about the after-effects of the North Hollywood shooting. The store went out of business not long after, and part of the reason was harassment from the BATF over them letting guns go to the cops without proper paperwork. Supposedly.

Getting to the truth of the matter at this point is probably a little difficult--I've heard all kinds of stories about what happened. Fact remains, however, that the store went out of business not long after the incident.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Police stealing? Say it ain't so.

They work for the government what do you expect?
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Remember the story a few years ago about the police responding to a mall alarm in the summer. AC was off, and it was hot. Cops helped themselves to fountain soda at a Sbarros I believe. Think they got shitcanned.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea fuck all those thieving scumbag responders (EMS and firefighters included) who worked day and night to help out those that refused to leave, or abide by warnings or common sense.

But The Star-Ledger found out through an Open Public Records request that much more than rescue gear went missing.

The newspaper reported Wednesday that a wide variety of merchandise was taken, including Elvis and Betty Boop plates, GI Joe statues, Swiss bayonets, handbags, comic books and golf balls.

The town admitted to not securing the store after they took their "emergency supplies".  Their position is that the store must have been looted of all non emergency supplies after the town went it.  Since we were not there or informed of anything we have no way of knowing how it actually went down.  I can say that every item on the list was either stolen or destroyed in a non storm related manner.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#7]
they didn't pay full price cause they figured in a Po-Leece discount.

GR
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]
New.......Jersey.

Hellooooooooooooo......
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Red: why did they not contact your parents earlier to tell them that they had to break into your store and take things ?

Blue: why was the claim not 100% of what was owed ? Also do they pay for damages they are responsible for on  the store ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to thank the majority of you who have showed support in the form of acknowledging a town or any department should not breach private property without extraordinary reason.  To say we were caught off guard by this is an understatement, and it was not until weeks after the storm when my parents waited on line with the rest of the residents to take a bus in to town that they actually saw what had occurred in the store.  My parents have been absolute troopers through this, even continuing to side with the town.  We do have to maintain a business presence there afterall...

In the end the town did follow through with their word and paid a claim that was about 90% of what was owed.  To the people in this thread that questioned the amount that we billed the town - We did not overestimate a single item that was on that list.  We have owned and operated that store for almost 20 years, and over that time we had built inventory that wasn't even valued at today's costs.  Small store? Yes...Packed to the gills with product and do we have EVERYTHING an authentic Army/Navy should have...bet your ass we do.  Our prices aren't much higher than internet pricing, there was just an INSANE amount of product stolen and trashed during the storm.  

Feel free to ask any questions, I will keep an eye on this thread from now on...

Red: why did they not contact your parents earlier to tell them that they had to break into your store and take things ?

Blue: why was the claim not 100% of what was owed ? Also do they pay for damages they are responsible for on  the store ?

They had our information on file bc we actually sell uniforms to the PD in town.  They claimed that they attempted to contact us but we have no record of anyone trying to contact us until a few days after the storm, at which point they called a land line that did not work due to power failure.  We got a message that they wanted to speak with us roughly 10 days after the storm when power was back on.  No one attempted to call any of our cell phones.  

The claim paid out was what the town told us they would pay.  We have various theories as to why the amount was what it was, but it amounted to this:  We are a small business and are not rolling around in money.  After a half of a year went by the town said "This is what we will pay, you can take it, or continue with a full claim and it will drag on for god knows how long".  The decision was made to take their offer.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:14:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In my day, we called  people who broke into places and took stuff that didn't belong to them thieves.
View Quote

Now they're called community organizers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:18:23 PM EDT
[#11]
When we had our big flood back in 08 one of the local powersport businesses lent 2 wave runners to our fd. I thought it was a pretty good gesture and after that I bought a four wheeler from them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:18:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Doubtful. They had no legal grounds to be there. Any lawyer worth his salt could have squashed that. Besides, DA highly unlikely to press charges given the circumstances under which they were found. Not to mention, an unscrupulous first responder could walk away with something illegal. What's the owner going to do, report that his illegal XXX is missing?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And how much you want to bet if they found some "illegal" weapons the owner would have been arrested.

Doubtful. They had no legal grounds to be there. Any lawyer worth his salt could have squashed that. Besides, DA highly unlikely to press charges given the circumstances under which they were found. Not to mention, an unscrupulous first responder could walk away with something illegal. What's the owner going to do, report that his illegal XXX is missing?

Thank you for the support but believe it or not my family are not even firearm owners lol.  Nothing illegal in that store by a long shot, except maybe if I have a box cutter in my pocket it could be considered a concealed weapon in NJ :(

I am the only firearm enthusiast in my family, and it just doesn't make financial sense to add firearm sales to the business (as much as I would like to).  

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hi everyone,

I have been a member here for about a year but did not find this thread until I did a google search on my own store.  I have mainly just used the Equipment Exchange portion of the site (please don't hate me lol).  

My family has owned and operated Shore Army Navy (the store this thread is about) since 1995.  My username here is bdomar12, my real name is Blake Domaracki, and I am the son of the man interviewed in all of the articles (Theodore Domaracki).  The article you posted is one of many, most of the NJ newspapers have done some sort of piece on our store in the past months.  Proof can be obtained by googling Shore Army Navy, calling the store and asking for Blake.  They will tell you I am rarely there and take a message.  I have a full time job and work there about once a week, but I also take care of the air soft and tac gear side of the business so if you have requests let me know!  

I would like to thank the majority of you who have showed support in the form of acknowledging a town or any department should not breach private property without extraordinary reason.  To say we were caught off guard by this is an understatement, and it was not until weeks after the storm when my parents waited on line with the rest of the residents to take a bus in to town that they actually saw what had occurred in the store.   My parents have been absolute troopers through this, even continuing to side with the town.  We do have to maintain a business presence there afterall...

In the end the town did follow through with their word and paid a claim that was about 90% of what was owed.  To the people in this thread that questioned the amount that we billed the town - We did not overestimate a single item that was on that list.  We have owned and operated that store for almost 20 years, and over that time we had built inventory that wasn't even valued at today's costs.  Small store? Yes...Packed to the gills with product and do we have EVERYTHING an authentic Army/Navy should have...bet your ass we do.  Our prices aren't much higher than internet pricing, there was just an INSANE amount of product stolen and trashed during the storm.  

Feel free to ask any questions, I will keep an eye on this thread from now on...

View Quote

Good man, you seem to be taking this better than most.  I did have a question.  What was billed to the city, entire amount looted, or just what the First Responders took?  I'm trying to figure out why they skimped out on 10% of the bill and this is the only thing I can come up with.

ETA: or where there no other confimred looters?
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:09:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Good man, you seem to be taking this better than most.  I did have a question.  What was billed to the city, entire amount looted, or just what the First Responders took?  I'm trying to figure out why they skimped out on 10% of the bill and this is the only thing I can come up with.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi everyone,

I have been a member here for about a year but did not find this thread until I did a google search on my own store.  I have mainly just used the Equipment Exchange portion of the site (please don't hate me lol).  

My family has owned and operated Shore Army Navy (the store this thread is about) since 1995.  My username here is bdomar12, my real name is Blake Domaracki, and I am the son of the man interviewed in all of the articles (Theodore Domaracki).  The article you posted is one of many, most of the NJ newspapers have done some sort of piece on our store in the past months.  Proof can be obtained by googling Shore Army Navy, calling the store and asking for Blake.  They will tell you I am rarely there and take a message.  I have a full time job and work there about once a week, but I also take care of the air soft and tac gear side of the business so if you have requests let me know!  

I would like to thank the majority of you who have showed support in the form of acknowledging a town or any department should not breach private property without extraordinary reason.  To say we were caught off guard by this is an understatement, and it was not until weeks after the storm when my parents waited on line with the rest of the residents to take a bus in to town that they actually saw what had occurred in the store.   My parents have been absolute troopers through this, even continuing to side with the town.  We do have to maintain a business presence there afterall...

The amount billed to the city was the entire amount of inventory stolen or trashed due to the store being broken into, plus the costs to repair the store from damage caused by the break in.  The town openly acknowledged that they did not secure the store properly and it was looted afterwords.  What was taken by first responders and what was taken by looters is anyone's guess at this point.  The amount they offered and we accepted was not broken down into categories, we simply accepted their offer.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 12:37:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The amount billed to the city was the entire amount of inventory stolen or trashed due to the store being broken into, plus the costs to repair the store from damage caused by the break in.  The town openly acknowledged that they did not secure the store properly and it was looted afterwords.  What was taken by first responders and what was taken by looters is anyone's guess at this point.  The amount they offered and we accepted was not broken down into categories, we simply accepted their offer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi everyone,

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for responding.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top