Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#1]
They needed $185,000 worth of dry clothes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did he show up at your house with an extra Gortex?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

my nephew worked for the seaside heights PD during that time span, he was on duty during Sandy.

Did he show up at your house with an extra Gortex?
that would have been a long drive, about 1300 miles

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:58:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It's nice to be prepared but what happens when your truck and entire building go under water, or you're sent on a patrol in a vehicle with no room for all that shit because it's filled with rescue personnel and more important shit and your stuff is a goner when you get back. Notice where I'm from, we had fresh uniforms trucked to us from a base 1 hr away, 14 days after the storm hit and we aren't some local PD. Walmart gave us the go ahead to rape one of their stores and I'll always be grateful for that, I had four days worth of drawers and putting on that fresh set from wally world was wonderful. Shit happens and things never work the way you plan, they didn't go and rape a best buy, the guy got paid and he knows he made out good. God forbid a guy who stays back to save all the dumb fucks who stayed be able to get a dry pair of boots and socks to put on in between working 20 hour days in the water.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, I have several bags in my patrol truck. Granted, I live in a large (4,309 square mile county), and am a SAR tech, SWAT guy, and teach land nav/map and compass, and high altitude/rough country survival. But how hard is it to carry a snivel gear bag at least?

My truck:

4 rolls of TP

Fast rescue bag (Surplus 3 day pack with gear for rock rescue ops and sustainment supplies)

Long term rescue pack (Surplus large MOLLE pack with shelter, sleeping bag, food for a week, extra dry clothes, etc)

Snowmobile fast rescue pack, with survival shelter and IFAK, extra warm clothing, Clif bars, etc.

SWAT gear.

Yeah, if I ever wreck, it'll look like a Supply Sergeant exploded.
It's nice to be prepared but what happens when your truck and entire building go under water, or you're sent on a patrol in a vehicle with no room for all that shit because it's filled with rescue personnel and more important shit and your stuff is a goner when you get back. Notice where I'm from, we had fresh uniforms trucked to us from a base 1 hr away, 14 days after the storm hit and we aren't some local PD. Walmart gave us the go ahead to rape one of their stores and I'll always be grateful for that, I had four days worth of drawers and putting on that fresh set from wally world was wonderful. Shit happens and things never work the way you plan, they didn't go and rape a best buy, the guy got paid and he knows he made out good. God forbid a guy who stays back to save all the dumb fucks who stayed be able to get a dry pair of boots and socks to put on in between working 20 hour days in the water.    

Yea fuck all those thieving scumbag responders (EMS and firefighters included) who worked day and night to help out those that refused to leave, or abide by warnings or common sense.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
God bless you. My squadron deployed there, and the day after they hit the ground in New Orleans, the team's two entire pallets were stolen, right off the tarmac. They were then sent to Baton Rouge, with only their MOLLE packs and the gear they'd kept on them.

I am not faulting you for what you did, please see my others posts in regards to this matter. Yes, I've considered the other scenarios you've posited, and plan accordingly, to the best of my ability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, I have several bags in my patrol truck. Granted, I live in a large (4,309 square mile county), and am a SAR tech, SWAT guy, and teach land nav/map and compass, and high altitude/rough country survival. But how hard is it to carry a snivel gear bag at least?

My truck:

4 rolls of TP

Fast rescue bag (Surplus 3 day pack with gear for rock rescue ops and sustainment supplies)

Long term rescue pack (Surplus large MOLLE pack with shelter, sleeping bag, food for a week, extra dry clothes, etc)

Snowmobile fast rescue pack, with survival shelter and IFAK, extra warm clothing, Clif bars, etc.

SWAT gear.

God bless you. My squadron deployed there, and the day after they hit the ground in New Orleans, the team's two entire pallets were stolen, right off the tarmac. They were then sent to Baton Rouge, with only their MOLLE packs and the gear they'd kept on them.

I am not faulting you for what you did, please see my others posts in regards to this matter. Yes, I've considered the other scenarios you've posited, and plan accordingly, to the best of my ability.
Yeah I was just pointing out that shit happens, the rest of my post was for the arfcom couch potato army that doesn't understand none of that shit matters when you have to go save people.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow ! that's fucked up ! Lots of herp in the story.....

As I've mention on here before, I own a bussiness in Seaside, or I did !

200K ? That place is tiny ! It's a little box on the corner

The storm hit on Monday morning. There was a recomended evacuation and 95% of the people left. A few stayed, some of the kids that worked for me stayed as they are young and poor and didn't have the means to go anywhere else.

By Tuesday the looting had started and a mandatory evecuation was enacted. Some of the little bastards that worked for me were responsible for the looting I'm sure.

After that the island was under quarunteen for almost 6 weeks. Only rescue personel, gas, electric and such. There were fires, gas leaks, sewage in the streets. A real mess. And they were only on the island from 9 A.M. till 3 P.M. It's not like the first responders didn't go home every night.

This whole story is fucked up ! ! ! !

Also, News12 NJ sucks balls to infinity.

Oh, as for the Mayor. He's well liked, very smart guy. Really on the ball. As for the posters here talking about a liberal shit hole. Mayor, town council, police chief and almost all the residents are R's. Capitolism and all that. Now, Seaside park, not so much.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The storm hit on Monday morning. There was a recomended evacuation and 95% of the people left. A few stayed, some of the kids that worked for me stayed as they are young and poor and didn't have the means to go anywhere else.

By Tuesday the looting had started and a mandatory evecuation was enacted. Some of the little bastards that worked for me were responsible for the looting I'm sure.

After that the island was under quarunteen for almost 6 weeks. Only rescue personel, gas, electric and such. There were fires, gas leaks, sewage in the streets. A real mess. And they were only on the island from 9 A.M. till 3 P.M. It's not like the first responders didn't go home every night.

Oh, as for the Mayor. He's well liked, very smart guy. Really on the ball. As for the posters here talking about a liberal shit hole. Mayor, town council, police chief and almost all the residents are R's. Capitolism and all that. Now, Seaside park, not so much.
View Quote

So what you're saying is the store owner is lying?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Looted his store.  It is New Jersey.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I did like the end of the story.  "The borough has no hard feelings."  Sure...
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I kind of do...

The USG makes its crazy easy and nearly free for the municipalities to prep for eventualities like this. First rule of responding to emergencies is "don't become part of the emergency."

I understand the concept of extingent need. I just think that a bunch of first responders treated this guys private property like their own personal COSTCO. Honestly, they, not the city should be paying this guy back. I'm the most pogue of pogue Reserve officers, but I keep enough stuff on hand to be of assistance, versus being "That Guy" who shows up to a SuperStorm thinking that some theater level sustainment brigade is there.

Perhaps its just my Navy upbringing, but if you think you'll need it, you better have that shit with you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't have a problem with this in an extreme emergency situation as long as the city fully compensates the owner for any products as well as any damage incurred.

I kind of do...

The USG makes its crazy easy and nearly free for the municipalities to prep for eventualities like this. First rule of responding to emergencies is "don't become part of the emergency."

I understand the concept of extingent need. I just think that a bunch of first responders treated this guys private property like their own personal COSTCO. Honestly, they, not the city should be paying this guy back. I'm the most pogue of pogue Reserve officers, but I keep enough stuff on hand to be of assistance, versus being "That Guy" who shows up to a SuperStorm thinking that some theater level sustainment brigade is there.

Perhaps its just my Navy upbringing, but if you think you'll need it, you better have that shit with you.

Yup, I do emergency management for a living, there's no fucking reason this should have happened. Not to pay the money back especially, lord knows that town put in for FEMA reimbursement for every cent they could think of too. after Irene there was no excuse anymore, we had a year to learn from our mistakes and fix shit, they chose to too and robbed one of their citizens.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I wouldn't say that. The owner is a nice guy. The place is a closet though. Really small. Also, Like anything on the island, The mark up is HUGE ! The hardware store behind the Surplus store charges 8 bucks for a 2X4 that costs 3 dollars at home depot.

Like any story it has two sides, 3 sides when the media is involved. The owner is saying "No hard feelings" I bet if I drove down and talked to him tomorrow he'd say News12 NJ totally twisted the story...
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This. During my service years, and after, I'd get chided for carrying extras, or what some though was unnecessary gear, that is until something occurred and the same folks would say, "Hey, do you have an extra ___________, I forgot/lost/left it at home/never had it in the first place?"

It got so bad that others wouldn't carry stuff because they knew I'd have it. I finally had to just say, "No".
View Quote

Same.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#15]
theft is theft glad the victim got most of his $$ back
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I wasnt aware that being wet constituted an emergency. Had I known I might have got a pass training on rainy days at Ft. Lewis.
The buget for emergency services swelled after 9/11 and Homeland Security giving even tiny depts loads of money to purchase gear. poor Planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:37:38 PM EDT
[#17]
If it was just needed items, and the city paid him back full retail immediatly after the emergency then maybe it was ok. But that was not the case on either count from what he said.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Bad apples in every croud...
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Hi everyone,

I have been a member here for about a year but did not find this thread until I did a google search on my own store.  I have mainly just used the Equipment Exchange portion of the site (please don't hate me lol).  

My family has owned and operated Shore Army Navy (the store this thread is about) since 1995.  My username here is bdomar12, my real name is Blake Domaracki, and I am the son of the man interviewed in all of the articles (Theodore Domaracki).  The article you posted is one of many, most of the NJ newspapers have done some sort of piece on our store in the past months.  Proof can be obtained by googling Shore Army Navy, calling the store and asking for Blake.  They will tell you I am rarely there and take a message.  I have a full time job and work there about once a week, but I also take care of the air soft and tac gear side of the business so if you have requests let me know!  

I would like to thank the majority of you who have showed support in the form of acknowledging a town or any department should not breach private property without extraordinary reason.  To say we were caught off guard by this is an understatement, and it was not until weeks after the storm when my parents waited on line with the rest of the residents to take a bus in to town that they actually saw what had occurred in the store.   My parents have been absolute troopers through this, even continuing to side with the town.  We do have to maintain a business presence there afterall...

In the end the town did follow through with their word and paid a claim that was about 90% of what was owed.  To the people in this thread that questioned the amount that we billed the town - We did not overestimate a single item that was on that list.  We have owned and operated that store for almost 20 years, and over that time we had built inventory that wasn't even valued at today's costs.  Small store? Yes...Packed to the gills with product and do we have EVERYTHING an authentic Army/Navy should have...bet your ass we do.  Our prices aren't much higher than internet pricing, there was just an INSANE amount of product stolen and trashed during the storm.  

Feel free to ask any questions, I will keep an eye on this thread from now on...

Link Posted: 9/5/2013 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#20]
All you guys who have some stuff put away in case of bad times, don't tell ANYONE about it! The powers that be will have no problem coming to you and confiscating it in the name of the greater good
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Hi everyone,

I have been a member here for about a year but did not find this thread until I did a google search on my own store.  I have mainly just used the Equipment Exchange portion of the site (please don't hate me lol).  

My family has owned and operated Shore Army Navy (the store this thread is about) since 1995.  My username here is bdomar12, my real name is Blake Domaracki, and I am the son of the man interviewed in all of the articles (Theodore Domaracki).  The article you posted is one of many, most of the NJ newspapers have done some sort of piece on our store in the past months.  Proof can be obtained by googling Shore Army Navy, calling the store and asking for Blake.  They will tell you I am rarely there and take a message.  I have a full time job and work there about once a week, but I also take care of the air soft and tac gear side of the business so if you have requests let me know!  

I would like to thank the majority of you who have showed support in the form of acknowledging a town or any department should not breach private property without extraordinary reason.  To say we were caught off guard by this is an understatement, and it was not until weeks after the storm when my parents waited on line with the rest of the residents to take a bus in to town that they actually saw what had occurred in the store.   My parents have been absolute troopers through this, even continuing to side with the town.  We do have to maintain a business presence there afterall...

In the end the town did follow through with their word and paid a claim that was about 90% of what was owed.  To the people in this thread that questioned the amount that we billed the town - We did not overestimate a single item that was on that list.  We have owned and operated that store for almost 20 years, and over that time we had built inventory that wasn't even valued at today's costs.  Small store? Yes...Packed to the gills with product and do we have EVERYTHING an authentic Army/Navy should have...bet your ass we do.  Our prices aren't much higher than internet pricing, there was just an INSANE amount of product stolen and trashed during the storm.  

Feel free to ask any questions, I will keep an eye on this thread from now on...

View Quote

No questions, I'm just glad the town decided to pay for what they took. They still deserve a black eye for making your family wait and trying to stiff you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 1:49:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
All you guys who have some stuff put away in case of bad times, don't tell ANYONE about it! The powers that be will have no problem coming to you and confiscating it in the name of the greater good
View Quote

...the greater good.

It's not confiscating. It's just spreading the wealth around.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 2:35:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Theft, pure and simple.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 2:42:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Yep, theft is theft, no matter who is doing the thieving.

My brother's 1903 Copper Gutters and Down Spouts were stolen this past summer.  The thief claimed he needed the cash, I guess it was ok then under the NJLE standards.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 2:43:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I know this dude, name was John Matrix, that busted into a surplus store in LA. The guy drove a bulldozer through the front window and made off with all kinds of cool shit.

He scored an uzi, a tricked out Valmet, and a SPAS 12. Oh, and a Desert Eagle, a badass knife, and some flippers. This was back in the eighties before President Bush went wobbly so he also swiped some claymores and a four shot rocket launcher which I guess were legal at the time.

He just loaded that shit up on a shopping cart and wheeled it out of there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 2:45:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Disgraceful.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 2:45:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't have a problem with this in an extreme emergency situation as long as the city fully compensates the owner for any products as well as any damage incurred.
View Quote

This, the owner should be compensated handsomely.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 2:54:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Citizen! We're the government and we're here to take what we want!

View Quote

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.  Expect to see more of this behavior as the law enforcement in this country becomes more militarized.  When people know that they possess superior force, and are protected by the law, they act accordingly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 3:03:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Jesus Christ.......at least pay the owner what he paid for the items.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 3:05:42 AM EDT
[#30]

If only they had some way of knowing in advance that they would get wet by going out into a rainstorm...

Good thing he didn't sell beer too or the bills for "emergency supplies" would have been about triple.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 3:07:20 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Hi everyone,

View Quote
Thanks for the update.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 3:39:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yea fuck all those thieving scumbag responders (EMS and firefighters included) who worked day and night to help out those that refused to leave, or abide by warnings or common sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Cant wait to see how folks explain this.

Report: More than rescue items taken from Seaside Heights store during Sandy

But The Star-Ledger found out through an Open Public Records request that much more than rescue gear went missing.

The newspaper reported Wednesday that a wide variety of merchandise was taken, including Elvis and Betty Boop plates, GI Joe statues, Swiss bayonets, handbags, comic books and golf balls.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/Report_Firemen_took_more_than_Sandy_storm_supplies_from_store.html
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 4:05:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Funny, that is what happened also in NOLA/Katrina. The various hotels ordered buses and generators for their guesses, and the .GOV came and said we need this and took it, then many of the hotels guesses ended up tat the SuperDome. This is from various news reports.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 4:07:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Those young guys that recently paid for their stuff when the power was out had way more integrity.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 4:09:43 AM EDT
[#35]
No excuse.................the 1st responders should have been better prepared for the emergency, and the owners of that store should have gotten 100% of the value that was taken refunded to them.........
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 4:12:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Theft
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 4:25:37 AM EDT
[#37]
so, whats the local Rotary Club think of the situation?
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 4:27:59 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:He is lucky he was able to survive that kind of loss. Being out $200,000+ plus for almost a year will put most small business under. Hell, a $30,000 loss like that will too.
View Quote
This was my first thought. It was an "emergency," fine... pay the man, RFN.

Hope the guy padded the shit out of the bill that he gave the city.

ETA: Saw post above that they didn't. Shitty that they got screwed.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 4:32:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
http://newjersey.news12.com/features/sandy/first-responders-broke-into-shore-army-navy-in-seaside-heights-during-sandy-1.5744923

I would be pissed had this happened to my store. Negligent preparations by the city and its employees doesn't justify this kind of stuff.

Even more pissed because after the city employees stole his goods he had to spend months getting the city to pay, and they stiffed him for almost $30,000 difference between what they paid and what they took.

FWIW, if any of the government agencies in my area came to me during any emergency and said "we need gear fast" I would gladly go open the shop at any time under any conditions, get them what they needed, and send them off after the supervisor had simply signed an accurate count of what was taken and hash the rest out later. But to do what they did, spend months before they paid, take shit that wasn't essential, and not pay for 100%- that is simply inexcusable.

View Quote

I wonder if this has happened in any other country before?

Ones you may have heard of.....hhmmmm

East Germany, Poland, Haiti, Argentina, Venezuela, Cuba.....I don't know.........
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 4:35:20 AM EDT
[#40]
On 9/11, I facilitated getting cases of bottled water to the Pentagon from a nearby restaurant. Beyond drinking water, the small bottles of clean water were used as an ersatz eye-wash to cleanse smoke/dust/debris from the eyes of victims and rescue personnel. When I told the Owner/Manager of the need, he simply said; "take it, take it all and anything else that is needed". He didn't ask for a receipt but I kept track of what was loaded onto the truck and gave him a written copy. Fast forward several months and I was directed by my agency contracting office to have this man submit an itemized request for reimbursement. I went back to him but he said he didn't want any money, he was simply glad it helped. I told him that the agency was insisting and he reluctantly gave me a figure based on the quantities I recorded and his retail pricing at the time (as directed by the contracting office). I submitted the reimbursement request and several weeks later I was told that his figure was too high. They wanted to negotiate a cheaper rate. Now, this was a guy who didn't want any reimbursement at all to begin with and reluctantly gave a figure calculated as directed by the contracting office. I went back to him and sheepishly told him of the issue. He laughed and said; "I don't want any reimbursement and I am not filling out any more forms. Tell them I want $0.00, take it or leave it ".
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 4:54:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 4:59:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My truck:

4 rolls of TP

SWAT gear.

View Quote

Sounds like they need to upgrade your suspension to take on all that gear

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:02:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Sir, Welcome to the site, I'm sorry that this happened to you.

They absolutely need to be locked up end of story. I'm speaking as someone who was there as a First Responder by the State (NY not Dirty Jersey)  from minute one through to the bitter end. First off anyone who was there will immediately tell you that we were absolutely drowning in gear and materials like clothes, blankets, camp stoves, poncho liners, shelters, literally exactly  exactly the same stuff someone would rip off from an Army/Navy shop. The problem we had was that there was 4 million tons of supplies, clothing, food, water, soap, detergent etc. etc. that was just dropped anywhere and everywhere the issue was trying to get it squared away and out to the people who needed it, never for one minute was it ever a question of demand and especially not something like 2 dozen multicam parka's, goretex in every size and shape im sure, poncho liners and a bunch of other 'emergency supplies etc. who are they kidding.. there were no concerns at all about supply, people were coming out offering to do laundry for entire towns 2 days after the storm was over.
if any of that shit went down a few miles East of there, I would
happily roll on any of those idiots since I have no doubt they were out
thieving for themselves plain and simple.
At one point I rotated through our POD (mass medical point distribution site) and one of bizarre but vivid memories I have from those days was staring up at literally a pyrmarid that somone had built out of boredom most likely of just cases and cases of cosctco brand athletic socks, probably a thousand of them, just sitting there....

ps

If any of you guys ended up doing any of the early demo and/or contracting work during the early days of the cleanup on the south shore and were sent in to get a tetnus vaccine/booster before you were able to start because of how badly all of the structures were all torn to hell.

Me (pretty strung out by this point): ok sir how long has it been since you last had a tetnus booster? STICK. O , actually don't worry about it, I see here from my sheet (looks down at list) it was 3 seconds ago. Great so your all current and good to go, please still work careful, and stay safe whos next?... I promise as shitty as I was being it was definitely going to beat the hell out of the alternative.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:23:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I would like to thank the majority of you who have showed support in the form of acknowledging a town or any department should not breach private property without extraordinary reason.  To say we were caught off guard by this is an understatement, and it was not until weeks after the storm when my parents waited on line with the rest of the residents to take a bus in to town that they actually saw what had occurred in the store.  My parents have been absolute troopers through this, even continuing to side with the town.  We do have to maintain a business presence there afterall...

View Quote

Red: why did they not contact your parents earlier to tell them that they had to break into your store and take things ?

Blue: why was the claim not 100% of what was owed ? Also do they pay for damages they are responsible for on  the store ?
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:00:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:24:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a problem with it. It gives the gov an excuse to take whatever it wants/needs. Have food stored in your basement in case of an emergency? Here comes the gov to take it and pass it out. Have a 4x4? Nope, the gov needs that also. Got a generator? Gas? Water? Letting the gov get away with it one time sets a precedent for it to happen again.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:35:56 AM EDT
[#47]
So what do they spend the taxpayer's money on, if they aren't spending it on gear and equipment?
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
No matter how you spin it ,it is  Breaking and Entering.
View Quote

Sure, if you are subject to the law. These people clearly are not
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

East Germany, Poland, Haiti, Argentina, Venezuela, Cuba.....I don't know.........
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://newjersey.news12.com/features/sandy/first-responders-broke-into-shore-army-navy-in-seaside-heights-during-sandy-1.5744923

I would be pissed had this happened to my store. Negligent preparations by the city and its employees doesn't justify this kind of stuff.

Even more pissed because after the city employees stole his goods he had to spend months getting the city to pay, and they stiffed him for almost $30,000 difference between what they paid and what they took.

FWIW, if any of the government agencies in my area came to me during any emergency and said "we need gear fast" I would gladly go open the shop at any time under any conditions, get them what they needed, and send them off after the supervisor had simply signed an accurate count of what was taken and hash the rest out later. But to do what they did, spend months before they paid, take shit that wasn't essential, and not pay for 100%- that is simply inexcusable.

Actually it did absolutely happen once that we all know about during the North hollywood shootout. At some point early on in the fight once they realized they were stuck with 9mm Beretta going up against Full Auto Ak's with shooters who were literally wrapped up in Kevlar a bunch of Officers drove to a gun shop ran inside explained what was going on and as I understand it the owner immediately started slamming boxes of rounds down on the counter and pulling long guns off the wall. It was a true life or death emergency, and that's how all sides treated it, and im sure the owner was compensated very well for his assistance and troubles.

Just to be crystal clear Sandy was absolutely nothing at all like that, eveyone was obviously on edge and the damage was very extensive and absolutely catastrophic in some areas, but we had plenty of warning first of all, and most importantly it became very clear probably by +12-16 hours into it that this was going to be a very serious storm  with massive amounts of property damage and displaced and homeless residents, but that thankfully loss of life was going to be minimal. Everybody was fully aware of that very early on. There was absolutely nothing in that mans store that would even remotely justify what they did even if  I believed they did so out of genuine concern and not stealing which I know wasn't the case.

IM saving most of my pictures for next week but again, September 11th 2001. Massive massive loss of life, complete chaos and panic early on, the primary Incident command center for the city being completely wiped out just out of bad luck of being located in WT. Thousands of people dead 343 First Responders and from what I recall at the time There were reports of exactly one instance of neccissary equipment or material being confiscated by the city without offering immediate reimbusement to the store keeper. That was done by a trio of Firefighters who were trying to treat who knows how many wounded and or dead at the scene who stumbled out of the massive dust cloud and into a Starbucks telling them they needed water and the pimply 20 something bumbling dumbass behind the counter tried to demand that these guys had to stop and pay for the case of water they were about to walk out and back into the storm with. They told him no and then left running right back into that hellhole that they just came out of.

Obviously starbucks offered an immediate apology a day or two later as if anyone even cared about that or the actions of that one dumbass behind a counter. That was pretty much it as I recall.

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
And how much you want to bet if they found some "illegal" weapons the owner would have been arrested.
View Quote

Doubtful. They had no legal grounds to be there. Any lawyer worth his salt could have squashed that. Besides, DA highly unlikely to press charges given the circumstances under which they were found. Not to mention, an unscrupulous first responder could walk away with something illegal. What's the owner going to do, report that his illegal XXX is missing?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top