Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was with you right up until the tattle-telling part.   Seriously, wtf dude?

Beyond that, I think CoC would frown on what I really want to say right now.

Oh hi.  You and your FSA are not welcome here. I'm not ok with my tax dollars being stolen, and contributing to a debt that will burden my great grandchildren's great grandchildren.    

News flash: money isn't free, and money that comes from "the government" was taken out of my, and my fellow countrymen's pocket.

Please carry on, say "what you want to say" and get your ass banned from here.

Newsflash:  You aren't going to see a dime in reduced taxes if the IRS successfully recovers 100% of the money "stolen" from it every year
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#2]
IBTL
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#3]
That is a big fuck up and the IRS REALLY doesn't like EIC fraud, which is what they most likely will consider this.
A huge ass raping is probably in the works and the poor smuck of a client will be in the middle of it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#4]
What I read was that the OP has integrity while the company management showed that they do not.  The management was even given a chance to show some yet failed to.

Fuck the company, they are the ones to deserve the fucking.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So will he have to pay it back?

Yes.  With interest.  If it is just as the OP stats they will probably forgo some or all of the penalties.
OTOH, he has a very good lawsuit against the tax preparer.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
OP made the right decision. That's the part few realize about being a professional, the fact that you have no choice in the matter besides to report. Sweeping anything under the rug will only make the consequences worse for the client down the road, and also makes you personally responsible under any applicable ethics or licensing standards.

The IRS would most likely have triggered an audit anyhow due to the drastic difference in returns. OP didn't rat anyone out, he just covered his own ass in good-faith and protected his future career by acting in the best interests of all taxpayers.

It's my understanding that certain tax-preparation businesses actively court clients with tax-situations like this. Fudging a few details drastically changes the return, which in turn boosts revenue for the business.

Do you believe the OP should tell the IRS about the actual taxpayer?   CPAs, EAs, and attorneys, plus registered tax preparers, are subject to circular 230.  Under that guidance, reporting your own client is an ethical violation.

CPAs are ethically required to NOT report fraud by their clients?  

CPAs must inform clients of previous errors.  CPAs must disengage from a client if that client wishes to commit fraud or evasion.  CPAs are not to report clients to the IRS.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
OP made the right decision. That's the part few realize about being a professional, the fact that you have no choice in the matter besides to report. Sweeping anything under the rug will only make the consequences worse for the client down the road, and also makes you personally responsible under any applicable ethics or licensing standards.

The IRS would most likely have triggered an audit anyhow due to the drastic difference in returns. OP didn't rat anyone out, he just covered his own ass in good-faith and protected his future career by acting in the best interests of all taxpayers.

It's my understanding that certain tax-preparation businesses actively court clients with tax-situations like this. Fudging a few details drastically changes the return, which in turn boosts revenue for the business.

Do you believe the OP should tell the IRS about the actual taxpayer?   CPAs, EAs, and attorneys, plus registered tax preparers, are subject to circular 230.  Under that guidance, reporting your own client is an ethical violation.

I didn't report fraud by a client. I reported another employee's lack of due diligence. The client did the right thing. The tax preparer did not do their job correctly.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I don't know about the whole EITC stuff, but I thought if you provided for more than 50 percent of someones care/living expenses, you could claim them as a dependent...

He can, but it can't get a REFUNDABLE credit for it.  IOW, more than he paid in in taxes.  IOW, welfare.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the IRS audits his return and compares it to last year's, they will discover the inconsistencies. When they look into it, they will find out that I know about it. If I don't say something, and allow it to be swept under the rug, I would be just as guilty of tax fraud and lack of due diligence as the prior year's preparers. That would result in a fine and loss of my right to practice before the IRS. Should I be convicted of tax fraud, I'd never work as an accountant.

Good for you, OP!
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Cheers, OP.  I salute you for doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus

So much for mind your own business.

Some poor bastards life is about to be turned upside down.

And the OP better get his resume together. Not saying he's wrong to stand on principle, but that whistleblowing is going to have consequences.

If they look at him wrong, he has an easily winnable lawsuit.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I guess following your conscience is a good thing, but better his the help wanted ads just to cover that angle.

Who is going to be more screwed...the client or the tax preparing firm? The firm,right?

Trust me, I am all over the help wanted ads. As I said, I've been looking for an accounting job since August, with no luck. This job only lasts through April 15th, anyways; so I'm not worried about the boss deciding to let me go.

Work on getting your CPA.

It took me 2 days to find a job.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CPAs must inform clients of previous errors.  CPAs must disengage from a client if that client wishes to commit fraud or evasion.  CPAs are not to report clients to the IRS.

Huh, that's weird to me... seems to be the exact opposite of ethical.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread could go a lot of different ways.  

No shit.

Screw the government,  screw the taxpayers, mind your own business, don't invite the man into your life... the possibilities are endless.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I'm gonna go with those.

Sure, sucks that the treasury is out $40k, but they'll just print that tomorrow next 1/8 of a second if my calcs are right.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I was with you right up until the tattle-telling part. Seriously, wtf dude?

He did the exactly correct, ethical thing to do.

This isn't the hood.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't understand how it is not the business / licensed accountant that is responsible for the error.  That's the whole point of paying someone to do your taxes, because you don't know how.  You figure part of that contract would involve the tax company backing up their work.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Good on you OP
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Wait, so the client won't have to pay the refunds back just the tax prep company?  If so, I am going to stop doing my taxes and have some yob do them so I can be off the hook.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't report fraud by a client. I reported another employee's lack of due diligence. The client did the right thing. The tax preparer did not do their job correctly.

I wasn't really talking about your situation, I would just imagine the right thing to do if you discovered fraud would be to report it. I must just be weird that way.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I wasn't really talking about your situation, I would just imagine the right thing to do if you discovered fraud would be to report it. I must just be weird that way.  

When attorneys find out their clients are actually guilty, they don't run to the cops and tell them where the murder weapon is.

That's unethical.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:50:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This isn't the hood.

Actually, Circular 230 prohibits a tax preparer from telling the IRS about a client's tax return.  He should not have violated client privilege.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh, that's weird to me... seems to be the exact opposite of ethical.  

There is an ethical reason why a client should be able to discuss something with a  CPA (or other professional) without fear that the CPA will rat him out. The CPA should never assist someone in committing fraud, but should never rat someone out.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#23]
My fiancé, a CPA/CFE says good on you for doing the right thing. She also says to get your CPA, it will really help you find a good job.

She audits local governments, and her firm (she's a partner) pays her very well for it.

As a Marine NCO, I congratulate you on standing by your principals and doing the right thing.

Flames or not, fuck it. Good on you man.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You already said in this thread that you gave up the name and identifying number of the customer.  If you are a preparer, you fall under circ 230.  Circ 230 prohibits the act of reporting your own client.  We'll see how it goes for you.

ETA:  Wow, another poster's wife says you did good?  You should never have disclosed a client's information to the IRS.  And I'm a CPA and have a Master of Taxation degree.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Morals andintegrity are good things
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:54:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This isn't the hood.

Actually, Circular 230 prohibits a tax preparer from telling the IRS about a client's tax return. He should not have violated client privilege.

He was reporting violations of his employer.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When attorneys find out their clients are actually guilty, they don't run to the cops and tell them where the murder weapon is.  

That's unethical.

Oh, I'm sure it's considered unethical... but I certainly don't agree with that idea of 'ethics'.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's unethical.

And, when an attorney finds out that a fellow attorney violates the law, do they not have an ethics review panel or a bar association to whom they are supposed to report such issues?

Again, I talked to the Inspector General's office about the company. They told me to file the paperwork with the IRS, with specific information. Until told to do so, I never identified the client. And, for those who still haven't gotten it, the client is in the clear - it is my employer and the employees who failed to do the right thing who will be fined and penalized.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, did you pass on information about this client or information that would help identify this client? If so, you are just engaged in semantics. You had no right to reveal information about a client's past errors to the IRS. That would make you untrustworthy.

There is a reason that professional privileges exist.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's unethical.

Oh, I'm sure it's considered unethical... but I certainly don't agree with that idea of 'ethics'.  

Thank God you're not a fucking attorney.  

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Jesus

Hope this is sarcasm. Yes this guy got screwed, but that incompetency, I'm willing to bet, cost hundreds of thousands a year at that office alone.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus

My employer offers an Accuracy Guarantee, which means my employer will have to pay any penalties and fines associated with misfiled returns where the client provided correct information that the preparer incorrectly entered.

And, even if there was no such guarantee, he did sign the return. He should have read it and noticed that the dependents' relationships were incorrectly labeled.

Well, you did the right thing.  I would start looking for another job ASAP.  You contacted people high up in the company.  They will put 2 and 2 together.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Via Revenue Act of 1913, you are doing no one any favors, theft is okay in our country as long as it's .gov that does it. There is no moral dilemma with what this person did when you compare it to the perpetual theft over a century that occured

Eta: thank you for appeasing the progressives and "making sure" I get my ever wanted social security from the .gov
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So, did you pass on information about this client or information that would help identify this client? If so, you are just engaged in semantics. You had no right to reveal information about a client's past errors to the IRS. That would make you untrustworthy.

There is a reason that professional privileges exist.

So the OP just indicated that he gave up the client when asked by the IRS.  Circular 230 prohibits it.  OP, you might brush up on Alpert V Wiley.  You can be sued by the customer for giving their personal information to the IRS. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You already said in this thread that you gave up the name and identifying number of the customer.  If you are a preparer, you fall under circ 230.  Circ 230 prohibits the act of reporting your own client.  We'll see how it goes for you.

ETA:  Wow, another poster's wife says you did good?  You should never have disclosed a client's information to the IRS.  And I'm a CPA and have a Master of Taxation degree.

Question, since you seem like you would know:

Is the OP lawfully obligated to report his clients PAST transgressions (that he was not involved in, in any way) to the IRS?  If he doesn't, is he liable to be charged with tax fraud?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This isn't the hood.

Actually, Circular 230 prohibits a tax preparer from telling the IRS about a client's tax return. He should not have violated client privilege.

He was reporting violations of his employer.

He already indicated that he gave the name and identifying number of the taxpayer.  He's ok to report the company, not ok to disclose a client's information.  He can get sued.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's unethical.

I think it is wrong to withhold information and evidence that would allow justice to happen. I could never do work that left me personally feeling unethical. Does that cause you some kind of difficulty?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh hi.  You and your FSA are not welcome here. I'm not ok with my tax dollars being stolen, and contributing to a debt that will burden my great grandchildren's great grandchildren.    

News flash: money isn't free, and money that comes from "the government" was taken out of my, and my fellow countrymen's pocket.

Please carry on, say "what you want to say" and get your ass banned from here.

Newsflash:  You aren't going to see a dime in reduced taxes if the IRS successfully recovers 100% of the money "stolen" from it every year.

Blow me.

And there's that COC violation!

Way to really defend your position, champ!

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the OP lawfully obligated to report his clients PAST transgressions (that he was not involved in, in any way) to the IRS?  If he doesn't, is he liable to be charged with tax fraud?

The OP should step away from the engagement and move on.  The OP cannot be charged with tax fraud for the acts of a client.  The OP should never tell the IRS about someone's tax return.  The OP can report to the IRS that something isn't right at his job.  The OP doesn't KNOW that anyone else committed an offense.  The OP only knows that the management at his employer doesn't care about the law, and I support his decision to report what appears to be unprofessional conduct.  The OP will get fired, and he might get sued by the taxpayer.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I think it is wrong to withhold information and evidence that would allow justice to happen. I could never do work that left me personally feeling unethical. Does that cause you some kind of difficulty?

Nope, I sleep like a baby.

"Justice" can take many forms.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The OP should step away from the engagement and move on.  The OP cannot be charged with tax fraud for the acts of a client.  The OP should never tell the IRS about someone's tax return.  The OP can report to the IRS that something isn't right at his job.  The OP doesn't KNOW that anyone else committed an offense.  The OP only knows that the management at his employer doesn't care about the law, and I support his decision to report what appears to be unprofessional conduct.  The OP will get fired, and he might get sued by the taxpayer.

I kind of thought that was the case, but wasn't sure.   I've heard bankers are really held to alot of "Do our policing for us or go to jail" type of regs.   Didn't know if the same kind of situation existed for tax preppers.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:09:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's unethical.

Because the principal of having an advocate that you can trust and confide in is more important that ratting out a client.

The advocate cannot assist the client in committing a crime and cannot disclose the content of conversations with the client.

It is a "higher-good" and "better for the system" kind of thing.

The OP does not get that, which is why the OP is in danger of getting screwed. Bad choices lead to bad results.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's unethical.

You are not fully apprised of the tenets of tax law and the practice thereof.  It might seem rational to you for the OP to tell the IRS who the taxpayer is that got all dat murney.  Maybe you don't realize he said he actually told the IRS who the taxpayer was.  That's a big no-no.  Reporting the company is acceptable.  Telling on your own client is verboten.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#44]
OP, the more I think about it the more I think you're fucked.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:13:04 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, we don't have much of it in this country.

Throw out our system, do you think the ethical thing to do if you discover, through whatever means, that someone is a murderer, is to report it, or to help them hide that evidence?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Because the principal of having an advocate that you can trust and confide in is more important that ratting out a client.

The advocate cannot assist the client in committing a crime and cannot disclose the content of conversations with the client.

The OP does not get that, which is why the OP is in danger of getting screwed. Bad choices lead to bad results.

In that I would disagree. I think justice is the most important thing. If you murder someone, I consider that, at that moment, you have lost the right to have someone to confide in.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know, we don't have much of it in this country.  

Throw out our system, do you think the ethical thing to do if you discover, through whatever means, that someone is a murderer, is to report it, or to help them hide that evidence?

Cheating the Federal government is morally equivalent to murder?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

You are not fully apprised of the tenets of tax law and the practice thereof.  It might seem rational to you for the OP to tell the IRS who the taxpayer is that got all dat murney.  Maybe you don't realize he said he actually told the IRS who the taxpayer was.  That's a big no-no.  Reporting the company is acceptable.  Telling on your own client is verboten.

I understand that, I was asking about the system as it exists. Then I explained my personal view, that wrong-doing should be reported, regardless of the relationship between two people.

Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's unethical.

Exactly.  The OP does good in reporting the company.  The IRS busted a guy that owned many Jackson Hewitt stores.  There was a widespread practice of picking up dependents, fake biz deductions, etc.  That kind of activity is sickening.  People flock to these stores in search of a huge refund.  Preparers know how to structure a return to get it done.  It's a serious problem.  My SIL wanted me to prep her return.  She thought she could claim my MIL.  I said, "you can't you don't provide greater than 50% of her support."  She went to HR Block.  Guess what?  They told her should claim my MIL.  She let them prep her return.  What especially burned my ass was the way she acted when she told me that they said it was ok.  I manage a big team of CPAs, EAs, and even tax attorneys.  I KNOW the farging law.  She thinks some flunky in a strip center tax store knows more than I do.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Oww WHY did I read this thread. I've been down this road. And I can tell you this. You all better be getting a good attorney very soon. As the IRS is going to smack all of you in the pee pee. And they will get more than the 40-K back.

I understand why, and how. But the Ginny is out of the bottle now. But the good part is "its a more friendly IRS now"  ( Right)  With that said, I encourage all parties to be forth coming with a Tax Attorney. Like starting MONDAY MORNING.

DO NOT JUST HOPE THIS IS GOING TO GO AWAY.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top