Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#1]
No. I inform her beforehand and suffer the wrath afterewards.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, I have my own financials.
View Quote

This, sort of.  I pay the bills minus groceries and use whatever is left however I want.  She pays for groceries and then put most of the rest in savings.  We don't really talk about what we buy.  If we did, it wouldn't be good.  This has worked perfectly for a decade and we have no arguments about financials like everyone else we know.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I make the money, wife stays at home with our 2 year old son and does not work. I don't have to ask, but I generally don't go crazy on gun purchases. Might buy 1-2 a year, and may buy a few thousand rounds of whatever ammo per year as well. I have pretty much reached the point of saturation where I have more or less everything that I want firearms wise.

We don't have cable/satellite TV, so that is an immediate $150ish per month that we have over other people we know with similar salaries. I also do all home and auto repairs and maintenance myself. If I had to pay someone else to do all that stuff, I may not have any money left over for hobbies.

I also try to offset gun purchases by selling old computer stuff & auto parts I no longer need on Craigslist. Sometimes I break even, sometimes more/less.

Wife doesn't really have any expensive hobbies - just a YMCA membership, and occasional clothing purchases. Neither one of us buys clothes all that often.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't HAVE to, but things go a lot smoother if I at least give her a heads up.

She agonizes over fairly small expenditures and rarely spends a lot on herself. I feel it's only fair to discuss big purchases with her ahead of time.

She stays at home with the kids and does some small side jobs occasionally for extra money.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't ask permission and she doesn't either.  Neither of us are big spenders and we live below our means.   I made an exception last year.  I decided to buy a new Corvette.  I told her I was buying it.  I could tell she'd rather I didn't but she went along with it.  Probably the only time in my life I made a fairly big dollar decision based on a want rather than a need.  I figured we could afford it and the pleasure I get from driving it was worth the money spent.  And no, I don't wear gold chains around my neck and chase girls young enough to be my daughter.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:48:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have to, but we generally discuss purchases over $200 or so anyway. In a round about way of answering the question, my wife has never either given or denied me "permission" to buy a gun.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Why should I unless money is coming out of the household account?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Permission no, we spend a good amount on her cross fit and running habits. Unless the purchase is 1k plus in which case I would run it by her.

Respect and all that
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nope, I just don't tell her.
View Quote

eta: I think she would be like this then like this if she knew how much I had, but right now it all looks the same to her. I just got to pull them out one at a time.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's called respect.  For us it has always gone both ways.  37 years and counting.
View Quote

You dont have to ask for every little thing to show respect.

My wife has fun money, i have fun money. I dont see any reason to ask permission. What if she says no? That has no effect on me and i would buy it anyway. If i would buy it anyway, why ask?

We have a different relationship than some though. I have bought a house for us, pasture, farmground, and rentals without asking and dont plan to start. It just doesnt cross my mind. I never have been the type to ask, even when i was a kid.

I dont see what good could come out of it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's called respect.  For us it has always gone both ways.  37 years and counting.
View Quote

About to hit 29 in June. My wife is awesome.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Just do it and get punished later
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does your wife ask you your permission before she makes a purchase?
View Quote

As a matter of fact if we are going to spend on other than essentials we talk about purchases of more than a fifty bucks.  

If I want to buy a gun it is more like "I want to spend 700 bucks."  If we have it in the budget I get to spend it.  If not I may have to wait.  Her too, she replaced all the small appliances in the kitchen for about 250 bucks.  We talked about her spending that amount.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I let her know. She's good as long as the bills are paid.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Not anymore.

GF got upset I wanted to buy a Grenade launcher, so I just stopped bringing up anything I buy to her.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Nope

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Hell, I have a gun stuff budget built into the monthly finances.

I get 10% off the top as long as our expenses are "normal" that month.  

I do listen to her because she's smart with money....she's saved me lots of it....but If I decide to buy, I buy.  Her role is more to inform me If there are reasons to save the $ that I'm not seeing.  

I refuse to play the whole "wife won't let me" game.  And that goes for anything, not just guns.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:05:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Usually not unless we have some kind of savings objective at the time and the purchase will negatively impact that plan. I actually have the opposite going on, she encourages me to buy more stuff. She told me I have the "green light" even after I bought 5 lowers, a 762x39 Saiga, and an RPK... In a month. Keeper.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#19]
My wife gets upset when I don't come home with a new gun from time to time.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Have to? No.

Do I? Yes.
View Quote

This is what i do for all purchases over $100. Its more to check and see what other large purchase we might make and to confirm the money is available.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Neither one of us makes any large purchase without discussing it with one another first. There may be large expenses coming up that I am unaware of, or she may be planning to buy something big, so we always coordinate our spending. It's not asking permission, it's just good fiscal practice.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

My wife gets upset when I don't come home with a new gun from time to time.
View Quote

I like thecut of her jib.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

eta: I think she would be like this then like this if she knew how much I had, but right now it all looks the same to her. I just got to pull them out one at a time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 lol.. I have 3 new guns in the safe she has no idea are even there. Guess I'll tell her eventually.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't ask before I buy or sell a gun.   I don't use the kids need new shoes money for such things.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Neither one of us makes any large purchase without discussing it with one another first. There may be large expenses coming up that I am unaware of, or she may be planning to buy something big, so we always coordinate our spending. It's not asking permission, it's just good fiscal practice.
View Quote

My ex wife tended to abuse the practice.....which is where I think the hiding purchases line of thinking comes out of ( at least with fiscally responsible adults).
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#26]
If we have enough money to cover bills no

Then again I have a $8k Barrett and a SR25
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This guy gets it. I learned my lesson being selfish the hard way once. Respect her and she will respect you.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

No.  I'm a man.
View Quote
With that answer, I would disagree. Being a man is being reasonable

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If we have enough money to cover bills no

Then again I have a $8k Barrett and a SR25
View Quote

Sounds like the Army pays you guys to much these days

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:23:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nah.
I might let her know, but she knows I'm going to do it anyway.
She's OK with it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This guy gets it. I learned my lesson being selfish the hard way once. Respect her and she will respect you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not all women have the capacity to respect men, no matter how much you respect them.

My ex used to try to stifle my purchases all the time so she could buy useless items that retained zero value, or because she hated that I liked guns and thought I'd lose my interest if I wasn't permitted to buy enough to hold my interest.

Part of the reason I divorced her was that she tried to act like a money Nazi.  There were other things but they all centered around her thought that men existed to make her happy even though she would never return the favor unless she got something out of it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Ask her?

Hell, she fills out the 4473 for me.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No, I have my own financials.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#35]
nope, she hasn't asked or cared what I do in that department for years.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#36]
She likes designer handbags, so she thinks she's winning
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:38:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
No, and she doesn't ask my permission to buy her stuff either. We're both pretty conservative and don't make frivolous purchases we can't afford
View Quote

This, but we do talk about buying it. We both know if we can afford it or not.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Permission?  No.

Do I tell her I'm going to, and make sure that there isn't an unexpected expense coming up? Of course.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#39]
We talk about any purchase over 300.  
If I'm trading guns and it falls under 300 then no.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My gf owns a gun shop, so if I want it at cost then yes I do ask
View Quote

You are a smart man.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:41:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Nope.

Nor do I on Amps, Guitars, or whatever.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My wife has fun money, i have fun money. I dont see any reason to ask permission. What if she says no? That has no effect on me and i would buy it anyway. If i would buy it anyway, why ask?

We have a different relationship than some though. I have bought a house for us, pasture, farmground, and rentals without asking and dont plan to start. It just doesnt cross my mind. I never have been the type to ask, even when i was a kid.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say, "...ask for every little thing...".  But shelling out a grand, or more, without discussing it first is disrespectful.  She does the same.  Maybe we're weird, but marriage is a partnership.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#44]
I buy whatever I want. I earn the money, so...
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNTFS
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#46]

I don't have to, but I do. We usually don't discuss the cost though. I just let her know as a courtesy.

She knows I'm cheap though and won't spend money we don't have available,

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It's called respect.  For us it has always gone both ways.  21 37 years and counting.
View Quote

Fixed it for me.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#48]
FUCK NO, it when someone tells me they need to ask first...
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#49]
hahahahahahhhhh
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#50]
No,  because I don't care what Crabby thinks.  And she would nag.

She's the only woman in the world who can nag herself to orgasm.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top