BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't, but the part pertaining to the reasons to have the fence and not running them along property lines seems to have been included to limit the size.  But, nothing is spelled out, so attorneys could probably argue either side.  

Judging by your MS paint it sure doesn't seem like that fence could possibly be bothersome to the people up the hill
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Without seeing the dead covenants that you agreed upon by buying the property and seeing the fence there is no way to know who is in the right on this.

BTW if you yard is that small the neighbors are more than likely correct on the fence and rules of the covenant

So you believe that the word adjacent refers to size?

I don't, but the part pertaining to the reasons to have the fence and not running them along property lines seems to have been included to limit the size.  But, nothing is spelled out, so attorneys could probably argue either side.  

Judging by your MS paint it sure doesn't seem like that fence could possibly be bothersome to the people up the hill

They don't like it in their view. From the diagram it seems they can't see it, but it is quite the hill, and they can see half the city from up there, including 75% of my backyard. I happened to mention this to them as well. The fact that they can see half the city, which includes thousands of fences seems to also be irrelevant to the busy bodies. I'm resuming construction in the am.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Oh, think of all the bright colors you can paint the outside of your fence!!!
View Quote

That won't take him too long.  didn't read the covenant, did you??
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They don't like it in their view. From the diagram it seems they can't see it, but it is quite the hill, and they can see half the city from up there, including 75% of my backyard. I happened to mention this to them as well. The fact that they can see half the city, which includes thousands of fences seems to also be irrelevant to the busy bodies. I'm resuming construction in the am.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Without seeing the dead covenants that you agreed upon by buying the property and seeing the fence there is no way to know who is in the right on this.

BTW if you yard is that small the neighbors are more than likely correct on the fence and rules of the covenant

So you believe that the word adjacent refers to size?

Not that you aren't a magnificent specimen, but can you sun bathe in the nude where only she can see you?  Tetherball, tampoline, etc
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Seems to me a HOA couldn't enforce any rules after the fact someone moves in their house.
View Quote

Yes they can, and that's the SOP.  And he isn't in an HOA.  Carry on.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Because I didn't invent Microsoft, and don't have a million bucks to spend on a house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand why some of you people live in areas like that.

Why didn't you buy one or the mansions up on the hill? They are probably nicer than the place you live.

Because I didn't invent Microsoft, and don't have a million bucks to spend on a house.

Plus, up the hill you'd have an HOA and a busybody for a neighbor.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm resuming construction in the am.
View Quote

Excellent, Smithers.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just moved into a house I bought. No HOA, but there is a covenant, which is somewhat similar. For those not familiar, it's a set of rules for the neighborhood (started in the late 70's) drafted by the builder, and maintained by the community. There have been no changes, and there isn't an active board or neighborhood meeting.

I read the rules prior to moving in. Rules state that fences are allowed for and should be limited to: Privacy areas and animal control. It also states that the fence must be adjacent to the primary dwelling, and fencing entire lots, and along lot lines, is not desirable (It is obviously discouraged). I told my neighbors that I am building a fence from one side of the house, to about half of the back yard, to keep my dogs in the yard. I discussed it in detail with the next door neighbor who it affects the most (it will create a fence line on about 75% of our property boundry). He doesn't seemed to be thrilled about it,  and suggests an invisible fence. After more discussion, he seems amenable, and walks the property line with me and shoots the shit for an hour. He seems to be a really nice guy and we are going to get along great.

A few days later I am 50% complete building the fence. I get a phone call from a different neighbor from up the hill in the next community telling me it is illegal to build my fence that she can see from her deck. I tell her thanks for your concern and the call and go back to work. An hour later the next door neighbor shows up and now claims that he doesn't like the idea, believes it violates the rules (says it isn't adjacent to the house) and it's too big. By the way he is friends with the busy body from up the street who called earlier. Like I mentioned, and discussed in detail with the next door neighbor, it connects on one side of the house, runs about 75% of the length of the back yard, and 50% of the width of the back yard, before reconnecting with the back porch.

Adjacent...I don't think this word means what he thinks it means. He seems to believe that it infers some sort of size limitation. I don't think it does. I think West Nevada is adjacent to East California...

ad·ja·cent
?'jas?nt/
adjective
adjective: adjacent

next to or adjoining something else.
   "adjacent rooms"
   synonyms:adjoining, neighboring, next-door, abutting, contiguous, proximate; More
   close to, near, next to, by, by the side of, bordering on, beside, alongside, attached to, touching, cheek by jowl with
   "adjacent angles"
   Geometry
   (of angles) having a common vertex and a common side.
View Quote

I don't want to be the new guy pissing in everyone's wheaties, and would like to get along with everyone. I've gone out of my way to be nice, and explain how it is not only legal, but extremely common in this area. And by the way it is my yard. I paid a shit ton of money for it, and the fence I'm building is not only a good looking fence, but there are no less than 25 of them that I've counted within 1 mile.

I know this is probably boring as hell, but I wanted to get some opinions to see if I'm being a dick or am out of line. I'm sort of known to be a dick.

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m545/roostercogburn3/fencedebaclediagram.png

Note the little arrows that say uphill are pretty important, as the grade from the main neighborhood road on both sides is pretty significant, that's how the mansions happen to have a view of the backyard.

Also, for those who are amateur or real lawyers, here is an ipotato pic of the applicable portion of the covenant:
http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m545/roostercogburn3/697a7c02-a48f-45a1-8d45-4407c1a11ebb.jpg
View Quote

I am absolutely not a lawyer and I don't even have a GED in law or otherwise.

But I think the 'adjacent' condition is meant to prohibit a fenced field that is not connected to the residence.

Nothing else in that part of the covenant document seems to prohibit what you're doing as long as the fence is 'consistent' with the character of the house.

And, as a layman, I don't see 'not desirable' as prohibiting anything.

Poorly written covenants are sometimes worse than poorly written laws because anyone who is in the development can cause problems for you based on their interpretation of what those covenants mean.

Maybe some attorneys can weigh in here.  

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#8]
The word I read was "adjoining". That means in contact with, as is sharing a wall or line. Frankly to be in compliance I could see where the house needs to be attached to the yard, In other words, something along the lines of sharing a perimeter line in the fencing. Your drawing seems to show a separate yard from the house. Your neighbors may have a point.

Having said that, I can't see it from here so I'm good.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd simply build the fence. Then, I'd get a really kick-ass sound system.

Every time my neighbor was in his yard, I'd play Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" on an endless loop.

Then... uh... profit?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd simply build the fence. Then, I'd get a really kick-ass sound system.

Every time my neighbor was in his yard, I'd play Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" on an endless loop.

Then... uh... profit?
View Quote

You're a cop. You can't be expected to know the law.

But I do like the cut of your jib, so I'm conflicted.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#11]
fence it, then piss on all the corners while standing on one leg with the other lifted.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Check your state's laws, too. Here in Iowa, restrictive covenants are voided if they are not renewed by the property owners every couple decades.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#13]
You did what you could to be a good neighbor.  Now they've given you no choice but to go into "Go fuck yourselves" mode.

I've had 2 different sets of direct neighbors (1 right after the other moved out of the house) that are shitty people that think I am living in their world.  It sucks at first, but you exchange some fuck you's, go through the awkward stage, and then avoid each other for the most part.  I'd like better neighbors, but eventually it just becomes something you don't even give a shit about.  My other neighbor, the one on the other side of their lot hates their guts too and has an even worse relationship with them.  The rest of the street is pretty darned amicable.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
your fence, your yard, your interpretation of the vague-ass rules.

let 'em sue you if they want.

View Quote

+1

You are actually taking responsible, pre-emptive actions to make sure your dogs aren't a problem for your neighbors.  Bravo!

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 8:29:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

+1

You are actually taking responsible, pre-emptive actions to make sure your dogs aren't a problem for your neighbors.  Bravo!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
your fence, your yard, your interpretation of the vague-ass rules.

let 'em sue you if they want.

+1

+100! If there are children in the neighborhood an invisible fence will not protect them if the wander onto your property.  Your homeowners insurance may require a physical fence.  Besides, based on the configuration, it doesn't look like a fence but more like a pen for the dogs.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Perform a rendition of that Goat song that was viral on Youtube last year?

CAN YOU... QUAAACK LIKE A DUCK?

QUAAAACK LIKE A DUUUUCK WHEN WE FUUUUUCK??
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Perform a rendition of that Goat song that was viral on Youtube last year?

CAN YOU... QUAAACK LIKE A DUCK?

QUAAAACK LIKE A DUUUUCK WHEN WE FUUUUUCK??
Haaaaaaaaaahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:47:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Just do what your user name would do.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Does it say anything in the rules in regards to building an outhouse?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Finish the fence. Then proceed to constructing a trebuchet.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

So................

she can see your back yard?

Here's just the thing for mowing your lawn and trimming the hedges.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Tell them to piss off.

It is not very likely that they will put up 5-10K+ for attorney's fees to sue you.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Oh, think of all the bright colors you can paint the outside of your fence!!!

"Consistent" is a rather vague term.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does it say anything in the rules in regards to building an outhouse?
View Quote

You want the DOJ on his ass?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#25]
The covenants are detailed while at the same time being vague.  Sounds like a "know it when you see it" sort of thing.

The deed restrictions for my property are:
No single or double-wides.  Separate structures such as sheds must follow the architecture of the home.  No cattle.  No swine.
- and that's almost verbatim.  

Your covenants have a lot more detail than this.  You've got at least 131 sections to the covenants.

A photograph would help.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks like you are meeting the intent of the regs, Spkg from an ex inspectors' point of view.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Here's a case that may have some degree of applicability:
http://statecasefiles.justia.com/documents/colorado/court-of-appeals/07ca1918.pdf
A lot of the case centers around HOA procedure, whether it was followed to the letter/sprit and so forth, so much of that doesn't really matter.

However, one section does stand out as being pertinent:

we conclude that the intention of the covenants here is to protect present and future property values of the subdivision by “benefit[ing] from the natural advantages of its particular location.”
View Quote

The "natural advantages of the location" part seems to be in alignment with the intent of the couple of covenants the OP has presented.  The covenant says fencing along lot lines is "not desirable" - and this points back to the "natural advantages of the location part".  It is clear that the intent is to avoid the gridline fencing that is common in many areas of suburbia.

The case also mentions, specifically mentions, split rail fencing being preferable to a tall, solid fence.  I think the OP mentioned split rail, and that sounds like something that would follow "natural advantages" blah blah blah, so that seems like a good thing, no?

Again, a photo would help.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The covenants are detailed while at the same time being vague.  Sounds like a "know it when you see it" sort of thing.

The deed restrictions for my property are:
No single or double-wides.  Separate structures such as sheds must follow the architecture of the home.  No cattle.  No swine.
- and that's almost verbatim.  

Your covenants have a lot more detail than this.  You've got at least 131 sections to the covenants.

A photograph would help.
View Quote

There are 131 sections, but a lot of it applied only to the builder, and there is a large section on how the ACC would work if we had one. The residential restrictions are about 2-3 pages total. There seems to be only a handful of hard rules (no trailers, no parking RV's on the street, no cattle, no swine...), supplemented by language describing vague intent. I believe this was done with the intention of allowing the community to decide how laid back or crazy it wanted to be with restrictions. Oddly enough, the neighbors I talked to prior to moving in all emphasized how there was no active ACC, and how the attitude has been your land, your rules. Maybe they are trying to piss on my leg to establish dominance because I'm the new guy. I think they are disappointed. My lesson learned is that I'm just going to follow the rules I signed up for and do whatever the fuck I want. I won't be giving the neighbors the courtesy of a heads up next time.

I'm not posting a pic of my back yard. The most ARF will ever get out of me is an ipotatoe pic of something firearm related with part of my ugly feet, and maybe a little basement carpet,
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Is that one section of your fence really 87'?  If it is, were you appropriately asked for your screen name?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#30]
The covenants, lacking in specificity as they may be, are consistent with covenants of other developments, and consistent with wording/intent battled out in courts and courts of appeal.

In 40 years how many fences have been erected in the neighborhood?  I'm guessing not many.  It looks like you have 3 neighbors, maybe 5 if you go off on some angles.  Your neighbor to your left wasn't terribly excited about having a physical fence erected.  Your neighbor up the hill is less excited and has chosen an odd route of deciding that no fences should be erected in her view shed.  That there are countless other properties down the hill and in view that may have fences that fly against covenant wording is irrelevant - since those property owners didn't sign on to your deed restrictions.

Your neighborhood/development sounds very nice.  It sounds like there is a very nice view from your area.  So, you've got to understand that you are in your neighbors' view shed, and to some extent, they are likewise in your view shed, and it's a very nice looking area - correct me if I'm wrong, but this might be one of the things that attracted you to this house.  Your development doesn't have any control of what goes on in view way down the hill, but they do have say in the development.

Without seeing an actual photo, a split rail fence sounds appropriate for the area.  But again, in 40 years, nobody's seen fit to erect any fence there.

While the details of the wording may be vague, I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say the intent of the covenants is vague.  The covenants, 131 sections worth, were instituted to preserve the present and future value of the area.

Speaking for my county, there aren't many places that have covenants as detailed as yours - I can think of only one place, if that.  In that one development, if someone adopted a "my land, my taxes, my rules - get bent" attitude, there's no way I could side with them, because there are numerous countless other places where they could have built/bought/moved that didn't have such existing, codified rules.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Is that one section of your fence really 87'?  If it is, were you appropriately asked for your screen name?
View Quote

I don't really know for sure. The fence segments are 8', each, there are 11 on that side (88') and since I didn't use a laser level and keep them in a straight line, I'm guessing I'm a foot or more short due to some slight zig zag.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The covenants, lacking in specificity as they may be, are consistent with covenants of other developments, and consistent with wording/intent battled out in courts and courts of appeal.

In 40 years how many fences have been erected in the neighborhood?  I'm guessing not many.  It looks like you have 3 neighbors, maybe 5 if you go off on some angles.  Your neighbor to your left wasn't terribly excited about having a physical fence erected.  Your neighbor up the hill is less excited and has chosen an odd route of deciding that no fences should be erected in her view shed.  That there are countless other properties down the hill and in view that may have fences that fly against covenant wording is irrelevant - since those property owners didn't sign on to your deed restrictions.

Your neighborhood/development sounds very nice.  It sounds like there is a very nice view from your area.  So, you've got to understand that you are in your neighbors' view shed, and to some extent, they are likewise in your view shed, and it's a very nice looking area - correct me if I'm wrong, but this might be one of the things that attracted you to this house.  Your development doesn't have any control of what goes on in view way down the hill, but they do have say in the development.

Without seeing an actual photo, a split rail fence sounds appropriate for the area.  But again, in 40 years, nobody's seen fit to erect any fence there.

While the details of the wording may be vague, I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say the intent of the covenants is vague.  The covenants, 131 sections worth, were instituted to preserve the present and future value of the area.

Speaking for my county, there aren't many places that have covenants as detailed as yours - I can think of only one place, if that.  In that one development, if someone adopted a "my land, my taxes, my rules - get bent" attitude, there's no way I could side with them, because there are numerous countless other places where they could have built/bought/moved that didn't have such existing, codified rules.
View Quote

I see what you are saying, and you are not far off. It is a nicer neighborhood. My particular covenant apples to about a dozen or so houses. There are at least 4 lots with significant fencing out of those dozen houses with the same rules. I can physically see two of them from my property (and I don't give a damn, when I can see 50% of a house, a little fence is hardly a problem). I can also see about 4-5 more in the neighboring communities (which are all against their ridiculous restrictions which far exceed ours).  

The covenant specifically states that fencing for animal control is permitted. It would be very difficult to argue against the style of fence, since there are multiple other examples on my street, and 25 examples within less than a mile. I'm 99.9% sure that any of my plans have been in compliance with the letter and intent of the law. Now that the guy next door is happy, I'm extremely confident there is no issue. Even if someone tried to cause issue, I'm not sure how they would do it at this point. They would have to re-establish the ACC which has been inactive for many years. It seems the majority of our little street has no desire to start up the ACC again. Even though she can see me, the busy body old lady up the hill is in a different sub division. She doesn't know the rules, and thought she could spout off and convince me that we aren't allowed to use our yard just because she would prefer we don't.

Your perspective about a view is interesting. I can't fathom the audacity that comes with telling other people what they can do on their property, just because yours overlooks theirs. It's almost like saying my right to enjoy a tertiary benefit is more important than your neighbors right to develop and use their own land, because you don't like the way it looks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 1:50:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Do what you want and tell them to suck a fat one
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:50:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Your perspective about a view is interesting. I can't fathom the audacity that comes with telling other people what they can do on their property, just because yours overlooks theirs. It's almost like saying my right to enjoy a tertiary benefit is more important than your neighbors right to develop and use their own land, because you don't like the way it looks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<cut>

But when someone builds a development and institutes deed restrictions that are designed to protect view shed: fencing, out buildings, home height, landscaping, tree selection, floodlights, etc - people purchasing that property and those homes are buying into the audacity.  It's simply an area that has restrictions - and the homeowners are in general agreement on the restrictions.  

For the sake of argument, living on the side of a steep slope has unique challenges that are unlikely to be addressed in most town ordinances.  Most towns have ordinances against junked cars in the front yard, but on a steep barren slope, a junked car in the backyard may be just as visible to everyone as if it were prominently sitting in the front yard.  So, this is where a neighborhood, at its formation, may seek additional deed restrictions that are more tightly tailored to protect current and future value than the general town/county ordinances.

While this may seem arrogant, its an extension of private property rights.  The developer or a group of owners sought rules that were more restrictive than the town/county.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:04:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

But when someone builds a development and institutes deed restrictions that are designed to protect view shed: fencing, out buildings, home height, landscaping, tree selection, floodlights, etc - people purchasing that property and those homes are buying into the audacity.  It's simply an area that has restrictions - and the homeowners are in general agreement on the restrictions.  

For the sake of argument, living on the side of a steep slope has unique challenges that are unlikely to be addressed in most town ordinances.  Most towns have ordinances against junked cars in the front yard, but on a steep barren slope, a junked car in the backyard may be just as visible to everyone as if it were prominently sitting in the front yard.  So, this is where a neighborhood, at its formation, may seek additional deed restrictions that are more tightly tailored to protect current and future value than the general town/county ordinances.

While this may seem arrogant, its an extension of private property rights.  The developer or a group of owners sought rules that were more restrictive than the town/county.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<cut>

Yeah, but a junk car is WAY different than a nice fence. You are right, that would be against the covenant here. Plenty of people here use the same fencing as I am using because they believe it adds (not subtracts) to the ascetic value of the property. Complaining against having to look at it is ridiculous, since they must drive by 25 other examples of it every time they go to the gas station or grocery store.  

I was telling the fence tale to my dad last night, and he had a great idea. For a small amount of money, I can add solar lights so that everyone can see it night and day (for safety).
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't really know for sure. The fence segments are 8', each, there are 11 on that side (88') and since I didn't use a laser level and keep them in a straight line, I'm guessing I'm a foot or more short due to some slight zig zag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

a string is very easy and cheap.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I'm not perfectly straight using 8' boards, what makes you think I can get perfectly straight using a string?

I guess then it would at least be a consistently crooked angle.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I fucking love neighbor and fence threads.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top