Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 30
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Wasn't the discussion about David Gregory breaking DC's hi-cap magazine law by possessing one on TV?  

Then, the DCPolice responded to an email request that they had turned down NBC's request to use one, and are now investigating?

Yeah, that's what I recall.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

update:

E-mail response:

"From:  "DC Police (imailagent)" <[email protected]>

Subject: Email from DC Police (Intranet Quorum IMA00519327)

Date: December 24, 2012 4:13:12 PM EST

To:  (OODA_Loop)
The Metropolitan Police Department is in receipt of your e-mail regarding David Gregory segment on "Meet the Press." MPD has received numerous e-mails informing us of the segment.  NBC contacted MPD inquiring if they could utilize a high capacity magazine for their segment.  NBC was informed that possession of a high capacity magazines is not permissible and their request was denied.  This matter is currently being investigated.   Thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention.

Customer Service - Metropolitan  Police Department"

Niiiiice!  

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

To charge for aggravated robbery all you need is the footage.  That was my point.

I agree....because whatever the perceived weapon is placed them in fear.

But youre not going to get a poss. of a firearm while committing a crinme of violence charge out of it because you saw a firearm on the tape.

You actually need the contraband for the charge  to be filed.

I see what you are saying for the special circumstance charge.

I still say charge him and let him defend himself.  He got on national TV with the mag and claimed it was a 30 rounder.  NBC documented the commission of the crime.  

Plenty of PC for an arrest and a charge.  Conduct an investigation and find the PA who purchased the mag (likely across state lines).  Examine expense accounts to find the charge, etc, etc...  Plenty of evidence.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[Dude, I could easily pass as a "firearms expert" in a court of law.  If I saw a mag within 1-3 feet of my face I could easily tell it was real or not.  Sight, Sound, even smell sometimes can give it away.  Yeah, LaPierres' testimony could be damning.

Does on a TV screen count without the actual piece of contraband?

We do murder trials without a body or video. In this case we have a video confession.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
[Dude, I could easily pass as a "firearms expert" in a court of law.  If I saw a mag within 1-3 feet of my face I could easily tell it was real or not.  Sight, Sound, even smell sometimes can give it away.  Yeah, LaPierres' testimony could be damning.

Does on a TV screen count without the actual piece of contraband?

If you had CCTV footage of a convenience store robbery, but never recovered the weapon used in the robbery, would that "count?"

To charge robbery or to tack on a Poss. of firearm charge?

You can charge 1st degree robbery even if its an airsoft since they feared it might be real.

No tack on charge.....prove its not an airsoft.

When you seize a firearm for a charge like that you have to test fire it to show it's in proper working order and actually a firearm.

No gun....no charge.

Edit: heres the definition of a firearm in my state. If you can't prove it fires a steel/ metal projectile then its not a firearm.

(3) "Firearm" includes any machine gun, pistol, rifle, air rifle, air pistol, "blank gun," "BB gun," or other instrument from which steel or metal projectiles are propelled, or which may readily be converted to expel a projectile, except crossbows, recurve, compound, or longbows, and except instruments propelling projectiles which are designed or normally used for a primary purpose other than as a weapon. The frame or receiver of the weapon shall be construed as a firearm under the provisions of this section.

Ive gotten the firearm enhancement in robberies where the gun was never recovered and the defense argued it was a replica firearm.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yes I'm in law enforcement.  Thats why I'm pointing out the folly of this.

What evidence sre you going to bring into court?

Sorry if my knowledge of the criminal justice system makes me sound obtuse.

Without that specific magazine being seized you have no evidence. You think NBC will just hand it over? You think MPD is going to do a search warrant to look for it?

Sorry to rain on the parade but beyond a reasonable doubt is a pretty high standard to meet with only a video and no actual evidence.

Y'all can go back to your circle jerk about MPD actually investigating this now

Even if all we are doing is pointing out the folly of magazine bans, and even if that message only reaches the ears (and more importantly, brains) of a few thousand people who suddenly realize the folly of gun control laws, we've done a good thing.

You can dismiss it if you wish.  I for one think it's a a valuable act.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

To charge for aggravated robbery all you need is the footage.  That was my point.

But youre not going to get a poss. of a firearm while committing a crinme of violence charge out of it because you saw a firearm on the tape.

People have been charged with felon in possession of a firearm over facebook photos where the firearm was never recovered.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
update:

E-mail response:

The Metropolitan Police Department is in receipt of your e-mail regarding David Gregory segment on "Meet the Press." MPD has received numerous e-mails informing us of the segment.  NBC contacted MPD inquiring if they could utilize a high capacity magazine for their segment.  NBC was informed that possession of a high capacity magazines is not permissible and their request was denied.  This matter is currently being investigated.   Thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention.

Wow.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Forward that email to The Blaze and to Breitbart TV.

This!
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nothing will come of it...

because "He was just reporting"

The most that will happen is he'll get fined $1000, which his boss will pay. The media will somehow twist things around to make him look like a god and he'll get to host his own morning show called "David".
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
It'll get bumped up to the Police Chief, since it involves a member of the media, who will ask the Mayor what to do, who will ask Eleanor Holmes Norton what to do (she's the non-voting DC representative of the House), who will ask her master Mr Obama what he wants done about it.  Being as the TV reporter sends his kids to the same school as the President does, and is in the same social circles, it's a fair bet IMHO that this will be quashed pronto.  Nothing will come of it - after all the elitists are NOT subject to the same laws as we the peons.

We'll all wail and gnash our teeth, and the game of some animals are more equal than others will continue on it's merry way.

I would think DC cops would be very much like the scum of humanity that they " serve".
Refer to the top of the page, where I wrote:

This is black and white, open and shut.

He's guilty.  Busted right on TV.

The only remaining issue is if LE will do the right thing, or the political thing.

LE exists to enforce laws, failing to enforce this "in your face" violation will make LE inept or complicit.  Which is it?

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Question for lawyers from someone who knows dick about law:  If he gets away with this, could this set a precedent for people who might get in trouble with banned mags?
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
update:

E-mail response:

Wow.

Awesome. They are lucky. I could tell by looking at that "30 rnd clip" that it was indeed an "assault clip" and therefore could have started some chit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:53:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing will come of it...

because "He was just reporting"

The most that will happen is he'll get fined $1000, which his boss will pay. The media will somehow twist things around to make him look like a god and he'll get to host his own morning show called "David".

Perhaps reporters will begin to do research, assuring that they don't end up looking silly or being charged - because the lie that there are no gun laws has been exposed.

Perhaps.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[snip]

So how do you know, beyond a reasonable doubt, that it actually was a "high capacity magazine"????

This question was asked pages ago.  Here is my response...

The suspect appears to have broken the law.  He should be arrested, charged, and can defend himself in court just like any one of us would have to.  It should also cost him thousands in legal fees, his job, and possibly his family just as it would us.

If the magazine had a round limiting device installed, they can bring it to court, with proof of purchase before the airing.  It's a great defense and brings honesty to the conversation.  Mainly that there are gun control laws currently in place.

Also, did he present it as a 30 rd mag on air that could be used to te effect that he admitted that it is a 30 rd mag, ths admitting to the crime?
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Question for lawyers from someone who knows dick about law:  If he gets away with this, could this set a precedent for people who might get in trouble with banned mags?

No. The lack of an arrest, lack of a filing or even a dismissal does not establish precedence. Thats the roll of appeals courts.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

update:

E-mail response:

So how do you know, beyond a reasonable doubt, that it actually was a "high capacity magazine"????

It looked like a DUCK, walked like a DUCK, quaked like a DUCK, smelled like a DUCK - and best of all - HE SAID IT WAS A DUCK!!!

What if he held up a bag of oregano and said it was marijuana, or a mason jar filled with vodka and called it white lightning?

I'm sure it was a 30 rounder......but what we know and what we can prove in court are two different things.

The legal precedents on that one are pretty clear that it is still illegal, IIRC.

Example.

Example 2.

Example 3 (best example).

I don't feel like looking up the relevant statutes right now.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

What are the range of penalties for this?

How does a felony conviction affect his career? Hasn't hurt Martha.

$1000 fine and a year in jail

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

To charge robbery or to tack on a Poss. of firearm charge?

You can charge 1st degree robbery even if its an airsoft since they feared it might be real.

No tack on charge.....prove its not an airsoft.

When you seize a firearm for a charge like that you have to test fire it to show it's in proper working order and actually a firearm.

No gun....no charge.

Edit: heres the definition of a firearm in my state. If you can't prove it fires a steel/ metal projectile then its not a firearm.

(3) "Firearm" includes any machine gun, pistol, rifle, air rifle, air pistol, "blank gun," "BB gun," or other instrument from which steel or metal projectiles are propelled, or which may readily be converted to expel a projectile, except crossbows, recurve, compound, or longbows, and except instruments propelling projectiles which are designed or normally used for a primary purpose other than as a weapon. The frame or receiver of the weapon shall be construed as a firearm under the provisions of this section.

No offense meant but you're applying the laws of your state to other areas of the country. I believe in my state you can be charged with having a weapon if you say you have a weapon even if you never show 1 during the commission of a crime. So we'd have to know what the DC law says, not RI or NH or any other laws.

He said it was a 30rd mag and there's video proof documneting he had possession of it. it looks like 1 and from what I've seen of it doesn't appear to be altered to take less, even if it was he's claiming it to be a 30rd mag. Whoever else that handled or bought (interns) that was also in possession of the illegal mag should be charged. Fuck em. They're trying to jump all over our rights and spread misinformation like it's gospel, now they're caught fucking up in violation of AWB laws that are already in place.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA NVM.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

so Not a felony
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And no more voting?

not a felony
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:59:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If this isn't prosecuted, can we move to have the law struck down as the people responsible for enforcement obviously don't beleive the law to be meaningful?

Hopefully he's charged, convicted, then he appeals and the law is struck down. Thanks in advance David Gregory!!!!!

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#24]
If you want to watch the vid

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Is this some new drug? ?
marihuana - from example 3
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Also, did he present it as a 30 rd mag on air that could be used to te effect that he admitted that it is a 30 rd mag, ths admitting to the crime?

Couldn't have phrased it better myself.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wasn't the discussion about David Gregory breaking DC's hi-cap magazine law by possessing one on TV?  

Then, the DCPolice responded to an email request that they had turned down NBC's request to use one, and are now investigating?

Yeah, that's what I recall.

Fingers crossed, but probably will amount to nothing.  Gregory's one of the good ole boys.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:05:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What if he held up a bag of oregano and said it was marijuana, or a mason jar filled with vodka and called it white lightning?

I'm sure it was a 30 rounder......but what we know and what we can prove in court are two different things.

If I held up a bag of oregano, the cops would get a no-knock warrant to my house, kick my door in, seize my house and car, and lock me up until I proved it was oregano.
Assuming I survived, after I proved it was oregano I could sue (after putting 10% down) to get my car and house back.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

If you want to watch the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA3rmC3BlIQ

About 9 minutes in...

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
devil's advocate

This is a non-violent crime even if a felony.

Should David lose his gun and voting rights over this?  After all if he's free to live in our society he should have all the same rights as any other free man

Absolutely.  He clearly would have us lose our gun rights to suit his and his ilk's agenda.  I think it's only fair that he be subject to the same.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:08:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I also sent this after receiving their reply ealier today..

Thanks
 Also if he is not prosecuted, I too would like to get permission to bring a 30rd mag to DC to do a youtube video
on how just owning a hollow piece of plastic doesnt hurt anyone.

I plan on taking it to the Lincoln memorial, Penn ave and then finally the Smithsonian.

No guns will be brought, just the empty mag.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your reply.

Joe
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That is excellent.  I hope a prosecutor grows some and takes this case on.  The point needs to be reinforced:

Criminals do not care what laws you enact.

And isn't it ironic how LaPierre harped on enforcing the gun law that are already on the book while on Gregory's show, yet Gregory blatantly violates those same laws on national TV?

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Ask David what he thinks should happen then show his decision on nat TV

Free

Quoted:
devil's advocate

Should David lose his gun and voting rights over this?  After all if he's free to live in our society he should have all the same rights as any other free man

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Regardless of the outcome, we can use it to our advantage.

Its been said many times......

We all know what's going on here, he and his show broke the law with blatant disregard.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:14:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
update:

E-mail response:

Can I repost this on FB?

The plot thickens.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:17:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I also sent this after receiving their reply ealier today..

Thanks

Also if he is not prosecuted, I too would like to get permission to bring a 30rd mag to DC to do a youtube video

on how just owning a hollow piece of plastic doesnt hurt anyone.

I plan on taking it to the Lincoln memorial, Penn ave and then finally the Smithsonian.

No guns will be brought, just the empty mag.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your reply.

Joe

I hope you have a "Press Pass", and no dog.

Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or
unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything
else - UNLESS YOU WORK FOR NBC NEWS.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
update:

E-mail response:

It looked like a DUCK, walked like a DUCK, quaked like a DUCK, smelled like a DUCK - and best of all - HE SAID IT WAS A DUCK!!!

I'll bet Wayne can verify it was an actual 30 round mag.

That's what I was thinking - he was sitting there right in front of him while he was waving it around.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is black and white, open and shut.

He's guilty.  Busted right on TV.

The only remaining issue is if LE will do the right thing, or the political thing.

LE exists to enforce laws, failing to enforce this "in your face" violation will make LE inept or complicit.  Which is it?

Yes.

I don't think there were enough whiteness, only a few million.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
update:

E-mail response:

It's Christmas!!!!

yes it is

Yes Virigna there is a Sants Claus.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People have been charged with felon in possession of a firearm over facebook photos where the firearm was never recovered.

Not in my neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

His kids should be thrown out of that fancy school - daddy is playing with illegal gun parts, who's to say he doesn't load that evil magazine and enter the school?

Yup. Send his kids to an undefended "gangbangers R us sink school".

Fuck him, and his family (yes, in the coming fight, everyone, including their families, are fair game)

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
devil's advocate

For an asshole pushing for more gun laws, yes, he should get busted.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
update:

E-mail response:

Many thanks to all those who stayed on top of this.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're such a trouble maker.

Well done.  

I don't like that law, as practically everyone here would agree...

BUT

If there are laws: 1.) make them admit they exist 2.) abide like the rest of us

Now this is using solid Alinsky tactics against them. Make them live up to their own rules, because no one can. This is how we Conservatives should have been playing for a long time now. Next, we need to actually put some teeth into that whole contempt of Congress thing, and haul Holder out in cuffs. Then, since it was an OCDETF op, haul Hillary out in cuffs too. Since Obama claimed Executive privilage, and the only way he can legally do that is if he was involved, haul his ass out under the Klieg Lights in cuffs also.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:28:25 PM EDT
[#45]
We could wield this David Gregory incident like the hammer of Thor a million ways to Sunday.

Heres one idea.....

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1409087___ARF_NRA_Charity_rescue_fund____once_David_Gregory_s_charges_are_official___.html
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see what you are saying for the special circumstance charge.

I still say charge him and let him defend himself.  He got on national TV with the mag and claimed it was a 30 rounder.  NBC documented the commission of the crime.  

Plenty of PC for an arrest and a charge.  Conduct an investigation and find the PA who purchased the mag (likely across state lines).  Examine expense accounts to find the charge, etc, etc...  Plenty of evidence.

That poor poor intern
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The legal precedents on that one are pretty clear that it is still illegal, IIRC.

Example.

Example 2.

Example 3 (best example).

I don't feel like looking up the relevant statutes right now.

All 3 of your examples had to do with delivering counterfeit substances. There are laws against that.

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#48]
If he gets charged, Lapierre should offer the NRA to represent him and challenge the law.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
devil's advocate

he would cheer you losing yours, and then demonize you on national television, so turn about is fair play. fuck him.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
If he gets charged, Lapierre should offer the NRA to represent him and challenge the law.

We ought to do is straight from here, who better than www.AR15.com

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1409087___ARF_NRA_Charity_rescue_fund____once_David_Gregory_s_charges_are_official___.html
Page / 30
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top