Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I understand what you're saying, but if those funds were honestly obtained that should be easily proven.
View Quote
Guilty until proven innocent is obviously a perversion of the system, and you know it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#2]
...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

...;nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law

it's amazing how conservatives and liberals both will argue against plain english when it suits their agenda.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Does the laying down with dogs and getting fleas extend to cops? One cop does something dishonest and we get to punish all of them because they laid down with dogs?

And if you can't prove that the money was dishonesty gained then you have no right to take it. How is this a hard concept?

Does the 4th amendment mean nothing to you?
View Quote
Like I said, the excuse is that forfeiture will harm an innocent spouse.
Show me a crime family spouse that doesn't know what her husband is into. I highly doubt they're ignorant of what their husband is doing.

As I've said multiple times, if you wait for conviction to seize assets, the assets will be gone once a conviction  IS obtained.

I'll use one example of a asset seizure. Officer stops a car, in the course of the stop he finds a duffel bag full of cash. IIRC it was in the hundreds of thousands. Regardless, it was a lot of cash.
The occupants of the car denied the cash was theirs. Now according to your thinking, the officer should have just let the occupants of the car drive away from the stop with the cash they just admitted wasn't theirs because he couldn't prove on the spot that it was the proceeds of criminal activity. Or maybe you think that officers should let them leave with the cash, launch an investigation and then ultimately at some point down the road hope the cash can be seized. Either way, if that's how you think that incident should have played out, we'll never agree.
If you think that's how it should have gone, we simply aren't going to agree.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas. How many of these organized crime wives do you really think don't have any idea that their spouses are deep into criminal enterprises?

Not really.
View Quote
The fourth amendment wasn't put in place to make your job easy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How do you decide what charities?
As far as funding LE, I don't think that many people realize how tight most LEAs budgets are.
Small agencies in particular wouldn't get many basic things like updated computers, new firearms etc without forfeiture actions.
If they did get those things without forfeiture, they would be getting funded by taxpayer dollars
View Quote
If an agency can't afford to provide basic office supplies without resorting to highway robbery then perhaps they can't afford to be a police department in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If they wait for a conviction, the criminals involved will simply hide their assets
View Quote
I don't give a fuck about criminals hiding their assets; there are plenty of tools to deal with that already.   I want MY assets not to get stolen by some podunk police department simply because they can.

Any department that defends this gets zero help out of me, ever, until they unfuck themselves.      You want people to drive by felony stops gone wrong without giving a shit?   This is how you get that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

As long as those funds are from criminals, I don't see a problem with that.
Forfeiture money funds equipment and training that the taxpayers aren't being asked to pay for. Equipment and training that in many cases the agencies wouldn't be able to otherwise afford.
And as I said before, if you wait until conviction, the criminal will have time to hide those resources to prevent them from being seized.
But I guess that some of you are OK with that.

Of course those are the stories you read about, because there's always the anti-forfeiture crowd that wants to publicize a few of those stories and claim that they're the norm.
If you got that 10K legitimately, you should be able to prove where it came from.
View Quote
So... what you really want is for the police to be able to judge and punish people before there's been a trial.   I can't read that statement any other way.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:23:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So... what you really want is for the police to be able to judge and punish people before there's been a trial.   I can't read that statement any other way.
View Quote
All cops operate under the guilty until proven innocent axiom. Some are smart enough to realize that that is just an investigation tactic, and contrary to the actual law.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Show me a crime family spouse that doesn't know what her husband is into. I highly doubt they're ignorant of what their husband is doing.

As I've said multiple times, if you wait for conviction to seize assets, the assets will be gone once a conviction  IS obtained.

I'll use one example of a asset seizure. Officer stops a car, in the course of the stop he finds a duffel bag full of cash. IIRC it was in the hundreds of thousands. Regardless, it was a lot of cash.
The occupants of the car denied the cash was theirs. Now according to your thinking, the officer should have just let the occupants of the car drive away from the stop with the cash they just admitted wasn't theirs because he couldn't prove on the spot that it was the proceeds of criminal activity. Or maybe you think that officers should let them leave with the cash, launch an investigation and then ultimately at some point down the road hope the cash can be seized. Either way, if that's how you think that incident should have played out, we'll never agree.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does the laying down with dogs and getting fleas extend to cops? One cop does something dishonest and we get to punish all of them because they laid down with dogs?

And if you can't prove that the money was dishonesty gained then you have no right to take it. How is this a hard concept?

Does the 4th amendment mean nothing to you?

And sometimes it is a woman that saved up from working a legal job. Then the state steals her money and fights tooth and nail to give it back because the money has already been spent on office supplies.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/07/judge-orders-1-million-returned-to-exotic-dancer/
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And sometimes it is a woman that saved up from working a legal job. Then the state steals her money and fights tooth and nail to give it back because the money has already been spent on office supplies.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/07/judge-orders-1-million-returned-to-exotic-dancer/
View Quote
Sometimes you gotta break a few eggs to make a hole puncher.

Molon stapler.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:48:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
............ I'll use one example of a asset seizure. Officer stops a car, in the course of the stop he finds a duffel bag full of cash. IIRC it was in the hundreds of thousands. Regardless, it was a lot of cash.
View Quote
Seriously, cops see absolutely nothing wrong with this? That's some seriously twisted logic.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Seriously, cops see absolutely nothing wrong with this? That's some seriously twisted logic.
View Quote
It is no different than a junkie stealing to feed a habit, it's just a different habit.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:52:46 PM EDT
[#13]
The ratio of individuals with assets seized to individuals that are actually charged with anything tells the story.    Apologists can bleat all they want about "muh law and order!111" and "but they's gonna hide their money!"
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
............ I'll use one example of a asset seizure. Officer stops a car, in the course of the stop he finds a duffel bag full of cash. IIRC it was in the hundreds of thousands. Regardless, it was a lot of cash.
Law enforcement would never take the money if the person says yes it is theirs and they are on there way to buy a car.

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's an imperfect world.  Better some criminals benefit than our liberties are further eroded.
View Quote
Absolutely agree.

...but then in my "perfect world" there wouldn't be victimless crimes.  The only crimes would involve violating another individual's right to life, liberty, or pursuit of happiness.  

<I can dream>
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The ratio of individuals with assets seized to individuals that are actually charged with anything tells the story.    Apologists can bleat all they want about "muh law and order!111" and "but they's gonna hide their money!"
View Quote
Heck, look at the ratio of stops on the drug trafficking side of the equation vs the money moving side of the equation shows another story.  They don't care about stopping the flow of drugs, they just want their cut.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm disappointed with you. Not for what you think but for how carelessly you've thought it.

Firstly, there are spouses that don't know about criminal activity, and we should at least pretend that there is some burden of proof. Furthermore your line of thinking is in contravention of case law.

Secondly, assets can be held by the police and courts during a trial while remaining the property of the accused. It's done all the time.

Thirdly, money found in the possession of people who deny their ownership of it is found property, not criminal profits.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If an agency can't afford to provide basic office supplies without resorting to highway robbery then perhaps they can't afford to be a police department in the first place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you decide what charities?
As far as funding LE, I don't think that many people realize how tight most LEAs budgets are.
Small agencies in particular wouldn't get many basic things like updated computers, new firearms etc without forfeiture actions.
If they did get those things without forfeiture, they would be getting funded by taxpayer dollars
When they asked Dillinger why he robbed banks he said "because that's where the money is."
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's not a "reason" for anything. It means that anybody who claims lawful title to the item can go into court and fight for it.
View Quote
Why should you have to go to to court to fight for your property?  The onus should be on the state to prove you are a criminal, not on you to prove that you are innocent.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Law enforcement would never take the money if the person says yes it is theirs and they are on there way to buy a car.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To quote the President. "Wrong"

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm not sure I care about that.

But even if I did, you shouldn't be able to seize a thing without starting a criminal case at the same time, and if the criminal case fails, the assets should be automatically restored.
View Quote
This sounds reasonable.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
as it should civil asset forfeiture is a disgusting unconstitutional practice.  no one should be deprived of property without due process.   if someone is a drug dealer convict them then confiscate their stuff
View Quote
No. You don't understand. People have rights, so there is no action brought against a person. The action is brought against the property, and property has no rights, recourse, or need for due process. With no action against any person, then no person has standing to even argue the point.

So, by calling it something else it becomes double-plus-good.

You must hate the troops.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:02:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Civil asset seizure has become more about revenue generation than punishing criminals. Criminals will victimize other criminals, now the judicial system does it too. Now the definition of criminal has been expanded to mean anyone with large amounts of cash.
Abuse is rampant in my state and all around the nation.
Read this article about the use of seized assets. It is pocket cash for LE and DAs.
http://oklahomawatch.org/2015/07/15/law-enforcement-seizures-misspent-missing/
The state senator trying to curtail asset forfeitures in Oklahoma mentioned in the article suddenly came under investigation for campaign funding. He was under fire by sheriffs and DAs all across the state after introducing legislation.
He resigned last week.
http://kfor.com/2017/04/27/oklahoma-sen-kyle-loveless-submits-resignation-letter-amid-criminal-investigation/
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There certainly shouldn't be any straw man arguments.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get a conviction and show the assets were ill gotten gains then seize away.

The idea of needing to prove your innocence never should have been seen as constitutional.
There shouldn't be ANY plea bargains, either. OR dropping or reducing charges. Right?
Well, while I'm sure he didn't mean it seriously, plea bargains *do* need to go away.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:20:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well, while I'm sure he didn't mean it seriously, plea bargains *do* need to go away.
View Quote
While I do not disagree that the plea bargain practice is messed up, it's rather irrelevant in this discussion.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
While I do not disagree that the plea bargain practice is messed up, it's rather irrelevant in this discussion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair point.

On the topic of the thread, however, I fear that anyone hoping this ruling will somehow be used as a precedent in the asset forfeiture arena is in for a let down.  Outside of Maine, (with some exceptions,) asset forfeiture is handled via civil courts (or by criminal courts in civil proceedings,) and therefore operates under different standards of proof than criminal cases.  This ruling, which covers the refund of fines assessed in *criminal* cases, is unlikely to be cited in any putative future case on asset forfeiture.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get a conviction and show the assets were ill gotten gains then seize away.

The idea of needing to prove your innocence never should have been seen as constitutional.
There shouldn't be ANY plea bargains, either. OR dropping or reducing charges. Right?
Yup. No more reduced sentences.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So I agree with RBG on something?
View Quote
fpni?

i need to go rinse my brain out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yup. No more reduced sentences.
View Quote
I think we should have sentencing maximums, ...but not minimums.  

But I also agree, I think plea bargaining should be done away with entirely.  Try the case in front of a jury.  I realize it will slow down the system, and will cost the taxpayers more money.  But it would also force the taxpayers to consider what laws they actually want enforced.

The way the system works now, means that every now and again an innocent person will accept a plea, to avoid draconian sentencing requirements.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why did Thomas dissent?
View Quote
I think he is saying that property rights are created by government laws and regulations, and therefore CO's civil forfeiture is part of the law that creates property rights.  The constitution only protects those rights as created by those laws and regulations.

In other words, this is a throwback to when monarchies ruled, and a charter from the the king is needed to create one's property.  I think Thomas farted but that methane took the escalator and affected his brain on this one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
The problem is that government spending on welfare, and public pension obligations are overburdening the cash flow from tax revenues.  Governments look for alternative ways to increase revenue without resorting to traditional raising of taxes.  Civil forfeiture is just another form of tax designed to slide under the radar of scrutiny by the voters.

Notice how it's not called criminal forfeiture?  That's basically all we need to know.

We've truly hark back to the days of monarchies in many ways.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The problem is that government spending on welfare, and public pension obligations are overburdening the cash flow from tax revenues.  Governments look for alternative ways to increase revenue without resorting to traditional raising of taxes.  Civil forfeiture is just another form of tax designed to slide under the radar of scrutiny by the voters.

Notice how it's not called criminal forfeiture?  That's basically all we need to know.

View Quote
That's the thing with government employees.  It's not the current "war", or fearful motivation, that is the big cost.  It's the long-term running costs of pensions and benefits.  Not to mention the additional cost of overhead, that once it's added seems to be perpetually needed.

But in the case of civil asset forfeiture it's easy enough to see the agencies that push the limits or abuse it.  

In Georgia you can see a huge difference from county to county.  I laugh everytime pass through Dooly county along I-75.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think he is saying that property rights are created by government laws and regulations, and therefore CO's civil forfeiture is part of the law that creates property rights.  The constitution only protects those rights as created by those laws and regulations.

In other words, this is a throwback to when monarchies ruled, and a charter from the the king is needed to create one's property.  I think Thomas farted but that methane took the escalator and affected his brain on this one.
View Quote
That's not what he's saying. He's saying the 14th's due process clause was followed, the person was deprived properly of property. At that point, it was no longer theirs, and they can't get back what isn't theirs.

I did a at first, but read the dissent on page 1. He's right (he always is IMO)
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh look it's turning into another arf pension hate thread
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Did this case deal with fines/restitution or civil asset forfeiture?  Two different things.  Article mentions one and OP mentions the other...

Goddammit now I'm gonna have to track down the decision...  

ETA:  Just read the decision.  It was about fines, not asset forfeiture.  All the anger in this thread...all the pain...for nothing
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The whole point of asset forfeiture is to hurt their criminal in terms of benefiting from their criminal activities. if you wait to seize their ill gotten gains, they'll hide those assets.
So yeah, I do care.
View Quote
It would be sooooo awesome if your computers, vehicles, bank accounts, retirement, and real property were seized by the feds for some bullshit charge and you lost it all without committing a crime. That is what this ruling is all about. People have been ruined by the piracy committed by law enforcement. Have thousands of dollars taken away with no charges ever filed. It is fucking bullshit, and I hope this puts it to an end.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Weird, who will claim the 10's of thousands of dollars in cash that the two unemployed males with past priors for dealing/trafficking, in an overdue 3rd party rental on the interstate headed west on my next traffic stop? They never seem to want to claim it. Do we just leave it on the side or the road?
View Quote
Why are you fucking with the money in the first place. Is it a crime to have money? This is the bullshit I have a problem with. No one will be charged, and you stole money from someone you could coerce into not demand it back.
Fucking thief.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:08:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So I agree with RBG on something?
View Quote
Worse, every liberal judge got this right, and Thomas did not?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:17:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Why are you fucking with the money in the first place. Is it a crime to have money? This is the bullshit I have a problem with. No one will be charged, and you stole money from someone you could coerce into not demand it back.
Fucking thief.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Weird, who will claim the 10's of thousands of dollars in cash that the two unemployed males with past priors for dealing/trafficking, in an overdue 3rd party rental on the interstate headed west on my next traffic stop? They never seem to want to claim it. Do we just leave it on the side or the road?
Fucking thief.
It is about the cash. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol actually had machines to read debit cards in traffic stops to seize cash in those accounts. They claimed it was for fraud detection but they signed a contract giving 7.7% of cash seized to the company who created the machine and software.
Supposedly they have stopped using them.
http://www.news9.com/story/32168555/ohp-uses-new-device-to-seize-money-used-during-the-commission-of-a-crime
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Messed up how?

The plea is a necessary option and used in the majority of criminal cases.  There are plenty of attorneys here that can chime in.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I understand what you're saying, but if those funds were honestly obtained that should be easily proven.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The point that you are not getting is, someone should not have to prove that they got it honestly.
It should be the states burden to prove they didn't.
You know...... The whole innocent until proven guilty thing.
Fuck that. He has the right to remain silent. You fucking prove where it came from, and until you do, he gets to keep it. Fucking thief.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Well, that's just fucked up. We'll take your stuff. And, when we can't prove you did anything wrong, you have to petition the .gov and grind it out to get it back.

Nope.

TC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's stating that as a matter of law it ceased to be their property when it was handed over to the state. Then the state as a sovereign entity can set conditions for filing claims against the state.
Well, that's just fucked up. We'll take your stuff. And, when we can't prove you did anything wrong, you have to petition the .gov and grind it out to get it back.

Nope.

TC
Well that's just fucked up. Until you can prove that a crime has been committed, keep your fucking hands off the cash. You are no better than a meth head who steals from cars to fuel his habit. I bet you get cool toys with the money you steal.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
What gives him the right to take it? Did the money commit a crime? That money is not his to steal. Do these same cops take money out of a passed out drunk's wallet? There is no difference.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Post of the thread.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Messed up how?

The plea is a necessary option and used in the majority of criminal cases.  There are plenty of attorneys here that can chime in.
View Quote
I don't agree.

Client X, is threatened with a possible 20 year sentence.  He can take his chances with justice, or he can cut the difference and accept a 5 year sentence.  Some innocent people will take 5 years in exchange for 20 years.  

Let's face it incarceration is bad.  It sucks.  There is nothing good about it no matter how short it is.  But shorter is better.  

What plea bargaining does is it increases the number of cases we as a society can handle.  Law schools are churning out graduates, attorneys are paid, the judges are paid, courts are busy, prison contractors are busy, and the jailers are paid.  Meanwhile we are the biggest jailer on the FUCKING planet.

The United States, home of the free, has more people in jail than other country on the planet.  ....something is wrong.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Messed up how?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Messed up how?

Why is is necessary?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No. You don't understand. People have rights, so there is no action brought against a person. The action is brought against the property, and property has no rights, recourse, or need for due process. With no action against any person, then no person has standing to even argue the point.

So, by calling it something else it becomes double-plus-good.

You must hate the troops.
View Quote
That is a truly retarded definition of theft. You should be proud.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nice way to say robbery.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
In the US, the burden of proof is on the accuser.  In our constitutional republic, no one is required to prove their innocence.  Might be different in your country, though.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top