Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Another bastard child of the war on drugs, civil asset forfeiture needs to be taken out back and shot already.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I should clarify, I do NOT support asset forfeiture without a conviction showing the items were gained through the criminal enterprise.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Weird, who will claim the 10's of thousands of dollars in cash that the two unemployed males with past priors for dealing/trafficking, in an overdue 3rd party rental on the interstate headed west on my next traffic stop? They never seem to want to claim it. Do we just leave it on the side or the road?
View Quote
In a free country there is no need to claim it or not.  It is none of your business where the money came from without evidence of a crime.  If you find drugs or something else illegal, by all means seize the money as evidence and keep it after a CONVICTION.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Good.  Asset forfeiture is theft, pure and simple
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Forfeiture in this context is an in rem action (the defendant is a thing rather than a person).

The action is brought by a government based on a claim that the res (thing sued over) is contraband because it is (a) inherently contraband (such as cocaine); (b) fruit of a crime (e.g., drug money or things bought with drug money); or (c) an instrumentality of a crime (e.g., a boat used to haul cocaine). "Contraband" is property to which no private person may have lawful title.

To prevail in a forfeiture action, the government must prove that the res is contraband. In Florida (and federally, I believe) this burden must be met by "Probable Cause" which is legalese for "not much." If the government proves by probable cause that the res is contraband, title to the res vests in the government and may be retained or transferred by the government to another party.

Suppose that Snorty McCaine has three convictions for sale of cocaine and one for possession of a kilo of coke on a 25' speedboat. One night the Marine Patrol stops a 40' speed boat for making a wake in a no-wake zone. The occupants of the boat all debark rapidly and swim to shore, evading the Marine Patrol. On the abandoned boat, the Marine Patrolmen find 25 kilos of cocaine and $300,000.00. They also find that the boat is owned by Snorty McCaine,  free of any liens and verified by the hull number. The vessel has not been reported stolen or missing.

1. Should Snorty get the boat back? The money? The cocaine?

2. If the government wants the boat, the dope, and the money, should it have to prove that Snorty knew about the apparent illicit activity?

3. If the government wants the boat, the dope, and the money, should it have to prove that Snorty knew about the apparent illicit activity by the same standard of proof that would be required to send Snorty to prison for Life for cocaine trafficking?

4. If the answer to #3 is "No," what standard of proof should apply?
View Quote
Or it could be a woman that worked at a legal job and saved her money only to have it seized by police. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nebraska-police-owe-stripper-1-161407996.html

Or it could be a $1,000 bill that is a collector's item that is seized and the funds returned in a check while the collector's item hung in the chief's office. http://alt.obituaries.narkive.com/V4vL7oLT/pine-lawn-mo-police-seize-rare-1-000-note-give-man-check-instead-or-how-a-government-can-legally
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:57:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.
- Lone Watie, The Outlaw Josie Wales

Quoted:
Forfeiture in this context is an in rem action (the defendant is a thing rather than a person).
View Quote
There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
- Captain Fletcher, The Outlaw Josie Wales
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The action is brought by a government based on a claim that the res (thing sued over) is contraband because it is (a) inherently contraband (such as cocaine); (b) fruit of a crime (e.g., drug money or things bought with drug money); or (c) an instrumentality of a crime (e.g., a boat used to haul cocaine). "Contraband" is property to which no private person may have lawful title.

To prevail in a forfeiture action, the government must prove that the res is contraband. In Florida (and federally, I believe) this burden must be met by "Probable Cause" which is legalese for "not much." If the government proves by probable cause that the res is contraband, title to the res vests in the government and may be retained or transferred by the government to another party.

Suppose that Snorty McCaine has three convictions for sale of cocaine and one for possession of a kilo of coke on a 25' speedboat. One night the Marine Patrol stops a 40' speed boat for making a wake in a no-wake zone. The occupants of the boat all debark rapidly and swim to shore, evading the Marine Patrol. On the abandoned boat, the Marine Patrolmen find 25 kilos of cocaine and $300,000.00. They also find that the boat is owned by Snorty McCaine,  free of any liens and verified by the hull number. The vessel has not been reported stolen or missing.

2. If the government wants the boat, the dope, and the money, should it have to prove that Snorty knew about the apparent illicit activity?

3. If the government wants the boat, the dope, and the money, should it have to prove that Snorty knew about the apparent illicit activity by the same standard of proof that would be required to send Snorty to prison for Life for cocaine trafficking?

View Quote
The above makes a perfect argument, and is why so many of us oppose the war on drugs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
In a case such as you have outlined, it should be a simple matter for the state to present a case that the boat was used in illegal activity (after all, they found it with a large quantity of cocaine on board).  After they have done so the state has a clear right to seize the asset.

If the state can't be bothered to present that case to a jury in such a clear cut case then the boat still belongs to the legal owner.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
More is lost to UNCONVICTED "Civil Asset Forfeiture" now than is lost to all burglaries/robberies combined.

Linkages

We has met the enemy...and they IS us. - Pogo

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/files/2015/11/forf.png&w=1484
View Quote
Government theft is best theft, comradski.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they wait for a conviction, the criminals involved will simply hide their assets
lol
and just WOW

On a pro 2nd amendment site no less
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't care; I'd rather 10 guilty benefit than 1 innocent be damaged.
View Quote
Agree 100%
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If they wait for a conviction, the criminals involved will simply hide their assets
View Quote
Okay
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So I agree with RBG on something?
View Quote
And you disagree with Thomas.

And I'm OK with this. Thomas isn't always right and Ginsturd isn't always wrong.

I despise civil asset forfeiture laws.  Some shitheel on the side of the road has absolutely no right whatsoever to take property from someone.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The whole point of asset forfeiture is to hurt their criminal in terms of benefiting from their criminal activities. if you wait to seize their ill gotten gains, they'll hide those assets.
So yeah, I do care.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure I care about that.

But even if I did, you shouldn't be able to seize a thing without starting a criminal case at the same time, and if the criminal case fails, the assets should be automatically restored.
The whole point of asset forfeiture is to hurt their criminal in terms of benefiting from their criminal activities. if you wait to seize their ill gotten gains, they'll hide those assets.
So yeah, I do care.
Every story I've read on this includes exactly 0 criminal enterprises and many many thefts from honest Americans. Even if not "honest" gains then prove that in a court of law, I shouldn't have to "prove" to you how I got this 10 grand in cash....its up to YOU to prove that it was illegal gains. I think its all written down somewhere on some old parchment paper.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#16]
The only good thief is a dead thief. 
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't think anyone here will justify or be in favor of this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before civil asset forfeiture justifications
I don't think anyone here will justify or be in favor of this.
I would have thought the same but we have at least one here so far.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Okay
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Okay
So give the assets back if they're acquitted. See, that was easy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's an imperfect world.  Better some criminals benefit than our liberties are further eroded.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's an imperfect world.  Better some criminals benefit than our liberties are further eroded.
(Ben Franklin I think) “Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I doubt many would argue against temporary seizure based on a warrant (30 or 60 days for the prosecution to prove it shoudl be forfeited, otherwise it is returned with interest and defense fees), for example with a warrant that alleges "Items 1, 2, 3 and 4 occurred, and evidence will be presented as such"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I doubt many would argue against temporary seizure based on a warrant (30 or 60 days for the prosecution to prove it shoudl be forfeited, otherwise it is returned with interest and defense fees), for example with a warrant that alleges "Items 1, 2, 3 and 4 occurred, and evidence will be presented as such"
Yep. I am OK with this. Make it hurt the state financially to seize wantonly like some are doing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
needs repeating
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:13:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Except they are not criminals until if or when they may be convicted. Not a hard concept to accept seeing as that is what the law says.

Roy
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#23]
So we are OK to take El Capo's 16 Billion seized to use to build The Wall. The Mexican will build The Wall. MAGA
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
needs repeating
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
needs repeating
OK
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So I agree with RBG on something?
View Quote
Unbelievable LOL!!!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

OK
View Quote
OK
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Protection money
theft
kidnapping
Ransom

...the state sounds a lot like the mafia.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So we are OK to take El Capo's 16 Billion seized to use to build The Wall. The Mexican will build The Wall. MAGA
View Quote
The man that's been convicted several times and kept escaping and who is currently indicated on criminal charges?  Not sure that's the best example to use.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

From the decision:

As best I can tell, he seems to think that it's not their money anymore...?
View Quote
It's a strong reminder that neither the left nor the right is perfect.  Both sides would shit on certain provisions of the BOR.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't think Thomas was supporting CAF. I read that he would prefer a more simple process to return the funds.

His point was that the fines were paid in accordance to the court ruling at the time. Those funds have become part of the state. Now that the original ruling has been overturned the funds should not have been paid, yet they have already been absorbed as property of the state. The defendants should be able to quickly recover funds by filing a claim and presenting the overturned ruling, rather than an automatic refund check at the time of the reversal.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So yeah, I do care.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But even if I did, you shouldn't be able to seize a thing without starting a criminal case at the same time, and if the criminal case fails, the assets should be automatically restored.
So yeah, I do care.
Asset forfeiture can still take place, and the actual seizure need not be changed, even if "civil forfeiture" were to go away.  What would be needed would be a specific change to the law applying actual forfeiture to the sentencing portion of the process.  Government seizes assets in the course of some investigation, they are held for safekeeping until such time as the case is resolved, with some type of safeguard for delayed/deferred prosecution.  Once charges are dropped/deferred/resolved in court, then assets are either forfeited under the revised sentencing laws or returned to the people from whom they are seized (excepting of course, stolen or otherwise ineligible property).

What needs to be changed is the presumption that the State may forcibly acquire property from its citizens based on government processes which do not involve proof beyond a reasonable doubt.  To be honest, I personally believe that ANY government lawsuit seeking damages/fines/extraction of payment should require a jury verdict "beyond a reasonable doubt."  The government is subservient to the people, not superior or even equal, and the government should conduct all such proceedings against its own citizens from a position of relative disadvantage.  If you want to "hurt criminals in terms of benefiting from their criminal activities, fine, but first prove those criminal activities to the standards required.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:57:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
OK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK
OK
Ha. That's not a sarcastic OK.....it was, OK I will repeat it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You have trouble reading. Civil forfeiture is often used to take the profitability out of criminal activity, AND as a way for people who committed crimes by mistake (didn't realize what they did was outside the law) to surrender the profits in exchange for dropping of charges. Contrary to the LIE a lot of people here believe, most civil forfeiture is voluntary, and part of an agreement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get a conviction and show the assets were ill gotten gains then seize away.

The idea of needing to prove your innocence never should have been seen as constitutional.
You have trouble reading. Civil forfeiture is often used to take the profitability out of criminal activity, AND as a way for people who committed crimes by mistake (didn't realize what they did was outside the law) to surrender the profits in exchange for dropping of charges. Contrary to the LIE a lot of people here believe, most civil forfeiture is voluntary, and part of an agreement.
Voluntary while staring at the barrel of a gun, is not voluntary.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The whole point of asset forfeiture is to create additional revenue for the police and government. It's theft, plain and simple. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The whole point of asset forfeiture is to create additional revenue for the police and government. It's theft, plain and simple. 
As long as those funds are from criminals, I don't see a problem with that.
Forfeiture money funds equipment and training that the taxpayers aren't being asked to pay for. Equipment and training that in many cases the agencies wouldn't be able to otherwise afford.
And as I said before, if you wait until conviction, the criminal will have time to hide those resources to prevent them from being seized.
But I guess that some of you are OK with that.

Quoted:

Every story I've read on this includes exactly 0 criminal enterprises and many many thefts from honest Americans. Even if not "honest" gains then prove that in a court of law, I shouldn't have to "prove" to you how I got this 10 grand in cash....its up to YOU to prove that it was illegal gains. I think its all written down somewhere on some old parchment paper.
Of course those are the stories you read about, because there's always the anti-forfeiture crowd that wants to publicize a few of those stories and claim that they're the norm.
If you got that 10K legitimately, you should be able to prove where it came from.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The law is about punishing the criminal, not funding police departments.  CAF has become a "thing", taking on a life of its own. My town approved its officers traveling 12 miles (outside the town limits) to patrol I-65 because of the potential for confiscating cash from drug runners.

If you want to punish criminals by taking their property, then give the proceeds to charity. Accomplishes the same goal, right?

We'll see how far THAT idea gets.

TC
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't care; I'd rather 10 guilty benefit than 1 innocent be damaged.
View Quote
This!

TC
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The law is about punishing the criminal, not funding police departments.  CAF has become a "thing", taking on a life of its own. My town approved its officers traveling 12 miles (outside the town limits) to patrol I-65 because of the potential for confiscating cash from drug runners.

If you want to punish criminals by taking their property, then give the proceeds to charity. Accomplishes the same goal, right?

We'll see how far THAT idea gets.

TC
View Quote
How do you decide what charities?
As far as funding LE, I don't think that many people realize how tight most LEAs budgets are.
Small agencies in particular wouldn't get many basic things like updated computers, new firearms etc without forfeiture actions.
If they did get those things without forfeiture, they would be getting funded by taxpayer dollars
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you got that 10K legitimately, you should be able to prove where it came from.
View Quote
The point that you are not getting is, someone should not have to prove that they got it honestly.
It should be the states burden to prove they didn't.
You know...... The whole innocent until proven guilty thing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The point that you are not getting is, someone should not have to prove that they got it honestly.
View Quote
I understand what you're saying, but if those funds were honestly obtained that should be easily proven.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So yeah, I do care.
View Quote
But, often, finances are commingled with the legitimate funds earned by a spouse who was not complicit. So, even if you freeze assets until a trial is held, you risk unfairly bankrupting an innocent. And, you risk bankrupting an innocent man if the "crime" is never brought to trial or an innocent verdict is returned.

I believe you have to err on the side of caution so innocents are not harmed in the (often manic) rush to "put a stop to crime".

TC
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I understand what you're saying, but if those funds were honestly obtained that should be easily proven.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if they were dishonesty obtained then that should be easily proven.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

He's stating that as a matter of law it ceased to be their property when it was handed over to the state. Then the state as a sovereign entity can set conditions for filing claims against the state.
View Quote
Well, that's just fucked up. We'll take your stuff. And, when we can't prove you did anything wrong, you have to petition the .gov and grind it out to get it back.

Nope.

TC
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
But, often, finances are commingled with the legitimate funds earned by a spouse who was not complicit. So, even if you freeze assets until a trial is held, you risk unfairly bankrupting an innocent. And, you risk bankrupting an innocent man if the "crime" is never brought to trial or an innocent verdict is returned.

I believe you have to err on the side of caution so innocents are not harmed in the (often manic) rush to "put a stop to crime".

TC
View All Quotes
Quoted:

TC
If you lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas. How many of these organized crime wives do you really think don't have any idea that their spouses are deep into criminal enterprises?

Quoted:
Not really.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Civil Asset Forfeiture was meant to cover the ship coming into harbor loaded with contraband.  The problem is that the government has abused the system horribly.  They've expanded the definition of "proceeds of crime" to entirely swallow the Fifth Amendment, allowing the government to levy fines absent due process on anyone under suspicion of any crime.  I mean, we've seen examples of the government seizing houses and cars because someone had a bit of pot in them.  That was never the intent of the system, and the whole thing needs to be dismantled.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Never noticed how big a statist you were until someone said it in some other thread. After paying attention to you, now I see it.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you still don't understand.
How easy or hard it is to prove honest ownership of funds doesn't matter.
Because, they should not have to.......no matter how easy it would be to do so.
The burden of proof should be 100% on the state.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If you lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas. How many of these organized crime wives do you really think don't have any idea that their spouses are deep into criminal enterprises?

Not really.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TC

Quoted:
Not really.
Does the laying down with dogs and getting fleas extend to cops? One cop does something dishonest and we get to punish all of them because they laid down with dogs?

And if you can't prove that the money was dishonesty gained then you have no right to take it. How is this a hard concept?

Does the 4th amendment mean nothing to you?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly. It is voluntary.
Just like in Teneha, Tx where they would pull families over and seize cash and even things like jewelry and then make it "voluntary" by getting them to sign over the property in return for not putting their kids in foster homes.
Voluntary... 'Merica!!!
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/08/12/taken
View Quote
It's fucking amazing, the mental gymnastics some will go through, to justify something so obviously wrong; something so offensive to any freedom loving person.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
View Quote
No, you still don't understand.
How easy or hard it is to prove honest ownership of funds doesn't matter.
And they should not have to.......no matter how easy it would be to do so.
The burden of proof should be 100% on the state.
View Quote
Can tell you right now, you're wasting your time.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:53:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Never noticed how big a statist you were until someone said it in some other thread. After paying attention to you, now I see it.  
View Quote
It's also total nonsense.  No one is saying the government can't freeze assets.  It's just that if they want to keep them, they need a criminal conviction and a lawfully issued fine from an Article III judge subject to due process.  
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top