[#2]
Hmmmmm......
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

its a four bladed rotor––-the bottom blade is simply bent back from striking the ground.

Naw, look at the clearance cuts for the cover thing. The spacing would equal 5 blades. At least that's what it looks like to me.

Not necessarily, uneven spacing would be advantageous for suppression of constructive harmonics.  Stealth is here.  Could this be the -60N?  Composite for radar absorption.  Swept stabilator again for radar issues.  Tail rotor hub cover too.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:05:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly. These were actually the first pics I saw, and they don't match up with a UH-60 airframe at all; my first thought when I saw that strange "cover" over the rotor was that it may have been a modified MH-53, but THAT airframe doesn't match, either. Also, in some of the other images the Pakis were hauling away what looked to be partially burnt carbon-fiber panels.

???

It IS carbon fiber.

Narrow it down...which chopper uses a lot of carbon fiber in it's construction?

Im tending to lean towards the "new stealth chopper" idea...but just because it be conspiratorial.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#6]
A guy over at MP.net put together this 3d sketch to help visualize it.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:07:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Looks to me that the aircraft came down with the tail section on top of the wall, which broke it off from the rest of the craft.  This appears to have saved it from the ensuing fire and destruction by US forces.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
That doesn't look like a Blackhawk tail section.

Sure does, look:  http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSczXK2Q4GhDE1FzMrO9VLxxxrRFPVhkzEc9ws1K2rNaRtBEWgP

The crash pic looks like the tail section has to separate vertical stabilizers coming off of it.  The Blackhawk has one complete stabilizer.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/imgs/sikorsky-uh60-blackhawk_2.jpg

MH-53 anybody??

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#10]
That is... different.

Frankly, I sleep BETTER when I think about all the cool toys the DoD has and does not tell us about, and have never wound up as art on the cover of PopSci/PopMechanics/or Aviation Week.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:15:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Man,it's gonna take forever to get those parts to China via that Massey Ferguson.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#13]
LOL...maybe it isn't even one of ours?

I find it VERY odd that nobody has ID'd at this point.

It's obvious that it exists. But you would THINK that something that cool would have been almost-common knowledge, as they would have been on the forward bases over there.

They ALSO would have been "in use" possibly before this, as I don't think a unit would take one into a mission without thoroughly having it tested.

There IS one final explanation.

They are top-secret and they are kept in top-secret helo bases...The triangular UFO, football-field-sized, FLYING bases that Art Bell always talked about.

Unfortunately, I'm almost serious about that explanation.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure does, look:  http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSczXK2Q4GhDE1FzMrO9VLxxxrRFPVhkzEc9ws1K2rNaRtBEWgP

The crash pic looks like the tail section has to separate vertical stabilizers coming off of it.  The Blackhawk has one complete stabilizer.

MH-53 anybody??

http://www.militaryaviation.eu/images/Sikorsky/MH-53_73-1652_.jpg

nope

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I figured most know about it already but it bears to mention the "Quiet One" : http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/the_quiet_one.html just in terms of what got built and used operationally 40 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:19:48 AM EDT
[#16]
no rivets anywhere...hmm
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#17]

HAHA All the Pockis are wearing jammies.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly. These were actually the first pics I saw, and they don't match up with a UH-60 airframe at all; my first thought when I saw that strange "cover" over the rotor was that it may have been a modified MH-53, but THAT airframe doesn't match, either. Also, in some of the other images the Pakis were hauling away what looked to be partially burnt carbon-fiber panels.

???

I think the carbon fiber panels you saw were the main rotor blades.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:23:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A super secret  Sikorsky MH-92

Tail rotor gear box on the wrong side for a 92.

I take that back.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

MH-53 anybody??

http://www.militaryaviation.eu/images/Sikorsky/MH-53_73-1652_.jpg

Tail rotor looks to be on the wrong side, and the MH-53 has a single horizontal non-movable stab on the right side. Unless it's some heavily modified -53 of some sort. But from the pictures, it does look like a pretty big bird.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Sure looks like something new to me.  

Interesting how they destroyed one half of it so very well but missed the tail section.

It sort of looks like a lower cost version of the Commache stealth Helio.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd lean towards some sort of stealthy animal that uses the UH-60s drivetrain and dynamic parts.  The tail geometry seems to roughly match that of the Blackhawk, with a moving (albeit swept forward) stabilator, as well as fairings and smooth shapes where there use to be notches and ridges.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Let's face it...nobody here has ANY idea of what it is.

I don't know shit about helicopters, but I can Google with the best of them.

I am coming-up with NOTHING.

It's either very new and very secret...or it is not one of ours...But I think it is one of ours. And new, and very secret.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

A super secret  Sikorsky MH-92

Doesn't have a stabilator on both sides of the boom.  Incorrect gear box.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Where's Primorsky?  I'm sure he can tell us about how Russia has had these for years.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I don't know shit about helicopters, but I can Google with the best of them.

I am coming-up with NOTHING.

It's either very new and very secret...or it is not one of ours...But I think it is one of ours. And new, and very secret.

I've never seen something like it anywhere

and I'm a part-time av geek (at least try to be)
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:35:35 AM EDT
[#27]
tag for later answer . looks like it stalled and landed hard and broke the tail off , and the explosives missed the broken part due to the wall. I can see in 40 minutes of adrenalin rush that maybe they didn't notice or have time to deal with it. I have been searching for 3 hours for old conceptual prototype drawings or art, leaked pics and other stuff but nothing is even close to that except it is remenicant of a commanche but made for troop carrying. I wonder if it was like a drone? they did say anther plane was flying overhead , maybe a controller. Who knows though. I amazed that none of the other mil guys have any idea or maybe just can't say. Maybe only be 2 or 3 of these , or a single protoype . No pics of the other bird eh? wonder if it was 2 of the same type? maybe it is a MH 60 with 'bolt on' mods to avoid radar.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Have to agree. I'm at a loss. Pretty interesting to speculate as to what it is though.

Too bad they didn't have the chance to denial the tail section with the rest of the main body.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'd lean towards some sort of stealthy animal that uses the UH-60s drivetrain and dynamic parts.  The tail geometry seems to roughly match that of the Blackhawk, with a moving (albeit swept forward) stabilator, as well as fairings and smooth shapes where there use to be notches and ridges.

This,

I think it is a UH-60 that was heavily modified to take advantage of radar reducing tech.  I have seen some job reqs out there that were looking for folks that could do stuff like this
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Not perfect, but some things are similar:
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#32]
I did read an article that stated the helicopter used "state of the art technology" to evade radar detection in Pakistani airspace.  I thought that was a little odd.....

ETA: Here's the link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_bin_laden_hunt_for_bin_laden
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#33]

In that it is a Helicopter? Yes, then some things are similar...

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:40:32 AM EDT
[#34]

That WOULD be the ultimate in deniability.

"What are you talking about, Musharraf?  Do you really think we'd run around our Tier 1 operators in a piece of shit like that?  Paki, please."
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#35]
NOBODY would have suspected a stealth CH-34!
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have to agree. I'm at a loss. Pretty interesting to speculate as to what it is though.

Too bad they didn't have the chance to denial the tail section with the rest of the main body.

Makes for great internet funsies, though.

That is something completely new. I've never seen anything remotely like it, except the RAH-66 Comanche. And looking at the shape of the base of the boom, I have a hard time believing its a derivative of anything currently fielded.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Why the hell can't we make a helo that can get thru one commando mission intact?

I can't even begin to think of the times whirlybirds have cause problems all the way back to the Iran hostage rescue.

In Vietnam 50% lost.  Nearly 5000 helos were crashed or shot down during the war.  Nature of the beast.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Ok, here is something that is more modern and has some similar features to what's in the photos:

ETA: damnit, my pictures arent working.  Standby
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Ok, here is something that is more modern and has some similar features to what's in the photos:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Royal_Thai_Navy_Sikorksy_S-76B.JPEG

That looks nothing like the crash tail.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#42]

You can tell it's definitely not a Hind based on the tail rotor assembly.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#43]

I said it first.  When the UH-60 was first introduced, composites in aircraft were bleeding edge.   Now even the Lakota has composite twin tail fin structure.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just searching for ideas of helicopters that could have had their tails modded a bit for stealth and match what's in the crash photos.

That one has the rotor in the right position, and the horizontal stabilizer isn't flat and straight like on the Blackhawk.

Please, by all means, find something that matches it perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#45]
I can't find anything

too bad we lost it, it would've been nice to keep it secret

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:55:51 AM EDT
[#46]
No detail shots, but here is a story about NASA working on a quieter Blackhawk last year...

http://www.activesensors.com/news/7
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm just searching for ideas of helicopters that could have had their tails modded a bit for stealth and match what's in the crash photos.

That one has the rotor in the right position, and the horizontal stabilizer isn't flat and straight like on the Blackhawk.

Please, by all means, find something that matches it perfectly.

You aren't going to find anything.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#48]
I really want to know what it is now.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top