BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 5:56:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't say we each have our own moral authority.  We all have the authority to judge others.  Doesn't mean we are correct.  Doesn't mean they are wrong.

I view morals like health.  Everyone has an opinion about what is healthy and what isn't.  Often what is healthy does depend on what you value (being able to run far but having joint problems down the road, or being less in shape but not having joint impact problems, etc).  That doesn't mean some things aren't objectively healthy and objectively unhealthy.  

Even the healthiest and smartest person in the world can do something unhealthy, and even the fattest slob out there can call them on it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If we each have our own moral authority, why would you possibly overstep your bounds like this and advocate making abortion illegal?  The writers of the article linked in the OP are simply exercising the moral authority that you have clearly recognized. What makes your morals superior to their morals such that we should make a decision that limits their moral authority?
I didn't say we each have our own moral authority.  We all have the authority to judge others.  Doesn't mean we are correct.  Doesn't mean they are wrong.

I view morals like health.  Everyone has an opinion about what is healthy and what isn't.  Often what is healthy does depend on what you value (being able to run far but having joint problems down the road, or being less in shape but not having joint impact problems, etc).  That doesn't mean some things aren't objectively healthy and objectively unhealthy.  

Even the healthiest and smartest person in the world can do something unhealthy, and even the fattest slob out there can call them on it.

OK, sorry I misunderstood what you were saying.  So if we have the authority to judge others and do not ourselves have our own moral authority, what moral authority would you use as the standard by which to judge? To use your comparison, how would you know if someone's behavior is "objectively unhealthy" or "objectively healthy" without an objective standard?
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 5:57:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This is a good thought experiment & and one I've used when debating someone who is pro-abortion.

The reaction is usually a deer in the headlight look.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
This is a good thought experiment & and one I've used when debating someone who is pro-abortion.

The reaction is usually a deer in the headlight look.

. But it isn’t pro-lifers who should worry about the Giubilini-Minerva proposal. It’s pro-choicers. The case for "after-birth abortion” draws a logical path from common pro-choice assumptions to infanticide. It challenges us, implicitly and explicitly, to explain why, if abortion is permissible, infanticide isn’t.

The concept really isn't new either. It is basically a re-writing of "A Modest Proposal."
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 5:57:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Sylvan is on a roll.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 5:58:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Sylvan is on a roll.  
View Quote

Tomislav ain't far behind.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 5:58:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

you aren't a true libertarian while you lecture women on what they can do with their bodies OR their offspring.

Keep your laws off my body!

Sub-Humans, whether pre or post natal, do not have individual rights.  and we will let judges and liberal academics, who are best suited to make these hard choices, determine what is, and is not, sub-human.

this is logic and reason, the only gods I will kneel before.

check your privilege.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a libertarian, I've made the point many times that people who are pro abortion on the basis of MYOB have no business calling themselves libertarians.  

The heart of libertarianism is the protecting of individual rights - the debate on abortion needs to center on when people are granted those rights, not what is politically, or personally convenient.

you aren't a true libertarian while you lecture women on what they can do with their bodies OR their offspring.

Sub-Humans, whether pre or post natal, do not have individual rights.  and we will let judges and liberal academics, who are best suited to make these hard choices, determine what is, and is not, sub-human.

check your privilege.

Are you trolling?The law treated Blacks as sub-humans in times past. Our Constitution upheld this for quite some time. Where do you draw the line? 5 years old? Or if your precious judges and academics determined that anyone prepubescent was not quite human, would you be so bold in signing off on their deaths. As death carries with it the ultimate coercive measure, shouldn't the default position be to preserve life until conclusive evidence provides reason to think otherwise?

Libertarianism isn't a death-cult. And my brand of it doesn't value the lives of convicted murderers more than the unborn. Your arguments are regurgitated nonsense.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 5:59:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Are you trolling?The law treated Blacks as sub-humans in times past. Our Constitution upheld this for quite some time. Where do you draw the line? 5 years old? Or if your precious judges and academics determined that anyone prepubescent was not quite human, would you be so bold in signing off on their deaths. As death carries with it the ultimate coercive measure, shouldn't the default position be to preserve life until conclusive evidence provides reason to think otherwise?

Libertarianism isn't a death-cult. And my brand of it doesn't value the lives of convicted murderers more than the unborn. Your arguments are regurgitated nonsense.
View Quote

He IS being SARCASTIC!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:00:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

check your privilege.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a libertarian, I've made the point many times that people who are pro abortion on the basis of MYOB have no business calling themselves libertarians.  

The heart of libertarianism is the protecting of individual rights - the debate on abortion needs to center on when people are granted those rights, not what is politically, or personally convenient.

check your privilege.

Sub-humans.......That exact term was what the nazis used to refer to the jews and slavs.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:00:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:00:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

He IS being SARCASTIC!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He IS being SARCASTIC!!

I see it now. =) But my point stands.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Parents should have the right to knock off their kids at any point in time prior to their 21 birthday
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:02:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well this one is true.

Especially if you think that the morning after form of birth control is the same as infanticide.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Morally there's no difference.

Doing it before delivery simply provides a pretext for dehumanizing the victim.

This.

making us lose elections.

Well this one is true.

Especially if you think that the morning after form of birth control is the same as infanticide.

when did that happen?  In the last abortion thread it was the prochoicers arguing that.

For somebody who always interjects himself in the religion threads pretending to be the Big Bang and evolution'a gift to science and logic you sure do show your ass often.

But please, use all the Party-approved "science" you need to hang your straw men.  

You're "that guy" who will shit all over threads that challenge your party's global warming, abortion, and other religious beliefs.

"Humans aren't people"
"Cooling is proof of warming"
"Warming is proof of warming"
"No proof of god so couldn't possibly exist..."
"Look how many stars...aliens. "
Religion.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:02:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

He IS being SARCASTIC!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He IS being SARCASTIC!!

Took me a while, but I eventually realized they had to be trolling.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:03:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It WOULD be a clever argument, it it wasn't filled with fallacies and based on incorrect or mis-stated assumptions about the pro-choice position.

So it's a logic that "defeats" an argument that doesn't actually exist.  Wow.  

View Quote

What are they? It has always seemed pretty straight-forward.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:04:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Language is a powerful thing...which is why corruption of it has a high priority for those who want to gain power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
oh and another thing - it's hilarious that people call it a baby when it's wanted and a fetus when it's not. ask a woman how her fetus is doing, what the sex of her fetus is, when is the fetus due, etc and you'll probably get slapped. but if she decided she didn't want it, it'd be perfectly OK. it's pretty fucked up that the mother gets to decide what "it" is referred to.

Language is a powerful thing...which is why corruption of it has a high priority for those who want to gain power.

Reference "colonial heterocage" above.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:05:13 AM EDT
[#15]
This is Sparta!
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:05:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
AR15.com members openly supporting killing Mexicans? I doubt it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And people wonder how they found people to herd Jews into the gas chamber and pull the lever. There are plenty of people who are completely fine with this way of thinking.

Yup.
Just look at threads fantasizing about killing illegals on this very site.

There are no shortage of people who will kill you for convenience.

Haven't read many threads on the topic of border security have you?

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:07:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I see it now. =) But my point stands.
View Quote

Oh, I think the VAST majority of Americans wouldn't go for the lunatic in the OP's article.

Are there any states who still allow late term abortions?
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:07:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Parents should have the right to knock off their kids at any point in time prior to their 21 birthday
View Quote

IIRC at one point that was actually Roman law.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:09:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

OK, sorry I misunderstood what you were saying.  So if we have the authority to judge others and do not ourselves have our own moral authority, what moral authority would you use as the standard by which to judge? To use your comparison, how would you know if someone's behavior is "objectively unhealthy" or "objectively healthy" without an objective standard?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If we each have our own moral authority, why would you possibly overstep your bounds like this and advocate making abortion illegal?  The writers of the article linked in the OP are simply exercising the moral authority that you have clearly recognized. What makes your morals superior to their morals such that we should make a decision that limits their moral authority?

We try to figure it out based on our experience, understanding, and reason.

We don't have all the answers when it comes to health now, even if we want to pretend we do.

We don't have all the answers when it comes to morality now, even if we want to pretend we do.

That doesn't mean all opinions are equal.

That doesn't mean overall moral people can't have an immoral belief.

Same with any alleged god.  If allah existed and was the one true god we can jude his morality and the morality of his followers in the same way we can if allah doesn't exist.

Same goes for Yahweh, and any other god you wish.

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:09:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Except for the fact that, you know, rape is only cited in 1% or less of all abortions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Christian Taliban loves calling post-natal fetuses 'babies'. It's their way of trying to trick the poor womyn (who was probably raped) into keeping the thing.

Except for the fact that, you know, rape is only cited in 1% or less of all abortions.

Stare-rape. The patriarchy always forgets about stare-rape.

(ETA: And yes, I am being sarcastic. )
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:09:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Murdering a child is murder.  Timing has nothing to do with it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:10:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Christian Taliban loves calling post-natal fetuses 'babies'. It's their way of trying to trick the poor womyn (who was probably raped) into keeping the thing.

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:11:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Now that your reflexive response to seeing scripture is out of the way, do you have anything to say to my point that these particular scriptures--whether you believe the Bible or not--portray a world that is not at all different from the one that now sees the open advocacy for the killing of newborns?

My apologies if I missed sarcasm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For those who say the Bible is a dusty old book that has no bearing on us today because we live in a totally different world:

Isaiah 5:3
Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!

Psalm 106:37-39
They even sacrificed their sons
And their daughters to demons,
And shed innocent blood,
The blood of their sons and daughters,
Whom they sacrificed to the idols of Canaan;
And the land was polluted with blood.

Oh brother, quotes from the bible.

Don't forget what Obi Wan Kanobi said, "Beware of the Dark Side, it is strong!"

Now that your reflexive response to seeing scripture is out of the way, do you have anything to say to my point that these particular scriptures--whether you believe the Bible or not--portray a world that is not at all different from the one that now sees the open advocacy for the killing of newborns?

Those same verses have been used to protest each of our past wars.  You're seeing what you want to see.

ETA:  phone doesn't know how to grammar.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:11:41 AM EDT
[#24]
SNIP
View All Quotes
SNIP

No, but even if that were advocated, a reasonable person can make the distinction between innocent and guilty.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:13:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Bonus points awarded for mastering the language of the debate.

I'd like to see an Epic Rap Battle between Sylvan and Rusted Ace.  Most halal!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So who are you to determine what is, and is not, murder as opposed to justifiable homicide.  How are you doing it?

just your typical white male shoving everyone into a colonial heterocage.

I'd like to see an Epic Rap Battle between Sylvan and Rusted Ace.  Most halal!!!

Do you have a newsletter?
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:14:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's until their 26th birthday now.  Law of the land and all that
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:14:41 AM EDT
[#27]
IIRC in one or more of the American colonies, a parent could go to the governing authorities, declare his child incorRigoberto, and have the child hanged.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:15:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So who are you to determine what is, and is not, murder as opposed to justifiable homicide.  How are you doing it?

just your typical white male shoving everyone into a colonial heterocage.

Oh, now THAT would be a GOOD one!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:15:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
And people wonder how they found people to herd Jews into the gas chamber and pull the lever. There are plenty of people who are completely fine with this way of thinking.
View Quote

That was a long time ago.  We humans are too enlightened now, for that to happen.

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:18:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.
Just look at threads fantasizing about killing illegals on this very site.

There are no shortage of people who will kill you for convenience.

Then you should report it to the mods. Killing people is against the law and a COC violation.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:19:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Hilary 2016!
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:21:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Parents should have the right to knock off their kids at any point in time prior to their 21 53rd birthday
View Quote
Too bad Stanley's already dead.

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Then you should report it to the mods. Killing people is against the law and a COC violation.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

When it happens, those threads do get locked.

I've seen it multiple times.

If you demonize people enough, there are people out there who buy into it and can literally justify anything.

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:22:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes, they would. And they would do so to you and me, if we become an inconvenience for them.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's actually kind of nice. They're doing exactly what I do in pro-life apologetics, but in reverse. Same point, though--passage through the birth canal doesn't change a human being's intrinsic value.

Basically, "Would you do this to a born human, like a 2-year-old girl?"  

Yes, they would. And they would do so to you and me, if we become an inconvenience for them.  

It's already on record by one of Zero's close advisors that abortion should be an option up to age five.  Because after all, before five or six a child really has not been socialized and there is no real social value to them because there's been no social investment in them.

I think there should be no age limit on aborting politicians and political/social theorists who come up with such BS.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:23:42 AM EDT
[#35]
My, my, aren't they aloof and intellectual . . . . .

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You're asking for when we define the beginning of human life...and that's a sticky question most pro-choicers would desperately like to avoid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it does cause the question to be asked - what is the difference between a 9 month abortion and a baby? and 8 month and a baby? a 7th month and a baby?

where do you draw the line?

because honestly - "it's still in the womb" is a shitty as answer.

pre-mature babies can survive being born months before their estimated birth, yet it's still OK to kill others that same age because they're still up there? stupid if you ask me.

You're asking for when we define the beginning of human life...and that's a sticky question most pro-choicers would desperately like to avoid.

Like when a pregnant woman is murdered and her murderer is charged with her and the baby's deaths?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:24:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

all sex is rape.  see also; heterocage
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:25:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Sounds like a good idea.

A lot of recent research indicates that some children are simply "born psychopaths" and stand a very high chance of becoming violent criminals as adults.

I would have no problem with putting down obvious psychos like Adam Lanza, the Carr brothers, etc. post birth.

Given the huge number of crack babies, babies born with fetal alcohol syndrome, etc. there should be the option to terminate them if they can reliably be identified as likely to become violent predators as adults.

There is precedent for infanticide. Under Roman law, a father had until a child's first birthday to end its life, no questions asked.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:26:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sounds like a good idea.

A lot of recent research indicates that some children are simply "born psychopaths" and stand a very high chance of becoming violent criminals as adults.

I would have no problem with putting down obvious psychos like Adam Lanza, the Carr brothers, etc. post birth.

Given the huge number of crack babies, babies born with fetal alcohol syndrome, etc. there should be the option to terminate them if they can reliably be identified as likely to become violent predators as adults.

There is precedent for infanticide. Under Roman law, a father had until a child's first birthday to end its life, no questions asked.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:31:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

We don't have all the answers when it comes to health now, even if we want to pretend we do.
We don't have all the answers when it comes to morality now, even if we want to pretend we do.

Same with any alleged god.  If allah existed and was the one true god we can jude his morality and the morality of his followers in the same way we can if allah doesn't exist.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So do we then only know what's right and what's wrong by consensus?
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Obama voted yes on this 3 times when he was a state senator.
View Quote

You can find quite a few advocates for this.  Iirc, the head, or former head, of Planned Parenthood was okay with this.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:33:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like a good idea.

No, it's true. The father had the right to kill by exposure any newborn they didn't want. And the pater familias was obligated to do so with deformed children.

All quite legal.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:33:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It WOULD be a clever argument, it it wasn't filled with fallacies and based on incorrect or mis-stated assumptions about the pro-choice position.

So it's a logic that "defeats" an argument that doesn't actually exist.  Wow.  

View Quote

Which are?

ETA: 1. The moral significance of fetal development is arbitrary.

2. Prior to personhood, human life has no moral claims on us.

3. Any burden on the woman outweighs the value of the child.

4. The value of life depends on choice.

5. Discovery of a serious defect is grounds for termination.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:33:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sounds like a good idea.

View Quote

In.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:34:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No, it's true. The father had the right to kill by exposure any newborn they didn't want. And the pater familias was obligated to do so with deformed children.

All quite legal.
View Quote

Not sure if his animation was in response to the Roman part of his post.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:35:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

all sex is rape.  see also; heterocage
View Quote

Only PIV sex is inherently rape.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:35:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All quite legal.

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:37:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Those same verses have been used to protest each of our past wars.  You're seeing what you want to see.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad phone!

I probably didn't pick the best scripture because I don't have time to run through the prophets at the moment, so my apologies for making my point poorly.  At the heart of what I was saying is this:  the Old Testament prophets who warned of Israel and Judah's imminent destruction spoke of their many sins against God, which included the literal murder of newborns just like in the article in the OP.  Though the ancient Israelites were murdering them in the name of a pagan god instead of in the name of family security, the resultant activity--the murder of new babies--is exactly the same.

That some misuse scriptures that describe Israel's sacrifice of newborns in an argument against the mobilization of an armed forces 100% composed of adult volunteers has no bearing on this discussion.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:39:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All quite legal.

Is there a way you and Sylvan could get into a "sarcasm" competition?

Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:41:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All quite legal.

No.

Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top