User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I also took the plunge and found on Amazon a pair of the Fox boots in a 12.

I received them yesterday and did a dry run around the house with them for about a 1/2 hour.

These are my first ever dedicated riding boots so I find them a bit stiff but that will loosen up over time.

I would guess wearing them around is a good way to soften them up a bit.
View Quote

They'll soften up, but realize they are the bottom end of an MX boot (albeit one of the tamer MX boots). So, stiffness is a good thing in that context. If they flex around a lot, that's at the cost of your ankles or foot bones in a getoff.

To a degree, you have to learn to adapt to the stiffness (including shifting), but that's the price you pay for added protection. There's no free lunch in that regard. Even a boot like the Sidi Crossfire with a hinged ankle is pretty damned rigid compared to a hiking boot.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Understood so when are we having our first Arfride?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I received them yesterday and did a dry run around the house with them for about a 1/2 hour.

These are my first ever dedicated riding boots so I find them a bit stiff but that will loosen up over time.

They'll soften up, but realize they are the bottom end of an MX boot (albeit one of the tamer MX boots). So, stiffness is a good thing in that context. If they flex around a lot, that's at the cost of your ankles or foot bones in a getoff.

To a degree, you have to learn to adapt to the stiffness (including shifting), but that's the price you pay for added protection. There's no free lunch in that regard. Even a boot like the Sidi Crossfire with a hinged ankle is pretty damned rigid compared to a hiking boot.

Understood so when are we having our first Arfride?

I'm game!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I road 110 miles today, and my ONeils we much more comfortable and felt more forgiving.  Shifting is still not as easy as with hiking boots, but not all that bad.  

I road up to the Smith Mine disaster site, on the way to Redlodge, MT.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Almost turned my FJR into and adventure bike yesterday, then again this morning.  Want to know how much fun long sweepers are at 90mph? A bunch! Now just for giggles they repave the road, cheap style, so suddenly the road is covered in gravel. Still going 90 on twisty road mind you. I managed toget the bike seat out of my butt.

Then this morning a road turned to dirt. No, not dirt, really  fucked up rutted mud. Only having .3 miles per the GPS i tough it out.  I should have turned around. 1.5 miles of barely staying up. Never so happy to see asphalt
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Between working OT and side jobs I haven't been able to ride in a few weeks, but I had errands to run yesterday that allowed me to take the bike. Man did I ever need that!

The Tourmasters get 2 thumbs up from me. I wasn't too sure of them at first but after a 2 hour ride they will be just fine.

I got into some grooved pavement yesterday, man did that suck! It kept trying to suck the rear tire out from under me in curves I don't have a burning need to ride that again.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:08:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Got a new question for you riding gurus.   How do you cross a stream, say 12-18" deep?  Feet on the pegs, or out?  Do you stand up on the pegs, or sit?  

I want to ride up a local road to a ghost town, and it require several shallow crossings.  On 4wheelers, I don't even give it a second thought, other than making sure it isn't too deep to kill it.
View Quote

Personal preference, I like to sit down because if I hit a rock and it kicks me to the side I can put a foot down. I'm a slow and steady kind of rider, but riding a KLR might have something to do with it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I just got back from a vacation in Georgia.  Here are a few adventure-ish pictures.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Haven't done much in the way of long rides. Just a couple hundred miles round trip to Bismarck to see Mad Max again. Not a safe movie to see when you're getting on a bike "WITNESS MEEE!"

I am proud that between June 5th and July 5th I put 80 miles total on my car. Since July 5th I've put 11 on. I leave all three cases on because I can do all my grocery shopping on the bike that way.

Quick question for those in the know, I've been wearing my work boots for riding, Danner Quarry's that are really stiff. I had the intention of getting riding boots, but when I tried them on, all of them seemed less stiff and protective to me. Is there something I'm missing? The boots I tried on were all good touring boots, Sedici, Alpine Stars, and BMW (whoever makes those).
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Most riding boots are designed to protect your ankles.  Your Danner's would be better than sneakers but less protective than riding boots.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Most riding boots are designed to protect your ankles.  Your Danner's would be better than sneakers but less protective than riding boots.
View Quote

I assume you mean crush protection and the like?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 10:55:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ideally, yes, although IME the "touring" boots are glorified (laceless) workboots and offer little if any ankle/crush protection. For me, I went with shorty-MX boots for the additional ankle support. I think most racing boots have more crush/torsion protection than a touring boot. The touring boots have other advantages, but I think many of them skimp on protection for comfort and flexibility, which are nothing I want in a motorcycle boot.

I've tested mine the hard way, and I do value the ability of a boot to survive being pinned under the bike and not limping for the next 18 months.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ideally, yes, although IME the "touring" boots are glorified (laceless) workboots and offer little if any ankle/crush protection. For me, I went with shorty-MX boots for the additional ankle support. I think most racing boots have more crush/torsion protection than a touring boot. The touring boots have other advantages, but I think many of them skimp on protection for comfort and flexibility, which are nothing I want in a motorcycle boot.

I've tested mine the hard way, and I do value the ability of a boot to survive being pinned under the bike and not limping for the next 18 months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was wondering about that because I wasn't convinced they had any more protection than my work boots, even in the ankle. And for the most part they were much softer.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I was wondering about that because I wasn't convinced they had any more protection than my work boots, even in the ankle. And for the most part they were much softer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have the saddle time of Swingset, but I have some experience with riding gear and wrecks through work. He is correct that the MX style boots offer the most protection.  I would say that where touring boots top work boots is in a slide. Work boots aren't designed to hold up sliding across pavement but touring boots are. In terms of off road riding, there probably is only small differences between work boots and touring boots. My touring boots have a small piece of armor in the ankles and a large shin guard but nothing extra to protect my foot from being crushed under the bike. Just MHO.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I love my Sidi OnRoads. Lots of shin protection from bugs and rocks and such, probably good slide protection, with reinforced areas on both sides of the ankle bones.  No crush protection. Next will be more like Sidi Armada or something like it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I don't have the saddle time of Swingset, but I have some experience with riding gear and wrecks through work. He is correct that the MX style boots offer the most protection.  I would say that where touring boots top work boots is in a slide. Work boots aren't designed to hold up sliding across pavement but touring boots are. In terms of off road riding, there probably is only small differences between work boots and touring boots. My touring boots have a small piece of armor in the ankles and a large shin guard but nothing extra to protect my foot from being crushed under the bike. Just MHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, abrasion is anothing thing (hopefully) touring boots offer as advantage over street wear (lack of laces is another), but I think it really depends on the individual boot and design.

I've done a lot of comparison shopping with boots, and have owned some touring boots, and it seems like the gamut runs from "this just looks like a motorcycle boot" to "this is built like a tank" and a lot in between.

Part of that comes with trying to do too much with a boot for minimal purchase price. It's just impossible to have all day walking comfort, breathability, waterproofness, crush protection, slide protection, suppleness for shifting, and quality for a price you can afford. You have to compromise something, somewhere...and tailor it to your ride.

You have to look at the boot, give it a really good critical eye, wear it, try it, hopefully not wreck in it, and decide whether it's a good compromise for your desires and budget.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone see the new YouTube video of the Honda CRF1000l Africa Twin?  There are videos floating around on ADV Rider now. I was skeptical before I saw the videos yesterday. Now I'm ready to put a deposit down for 2016 when they are available in the USA.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Anyone see the new YouTube video of the Honda CRF1000l Africa Twin?  There are videos floating around on ADV Rider now. I was skeptical before I saw the videos yesterday. Now I'm ready to put a deposit down for 2016 when they are available in the USA.
View Quote

I'm digging the concept, but I won't bite for a while. No idea on the street price yet, that'll be a big issue for me plus the first year aftermarket is rare or stupid expensive (one of the things I love about the Strom).

But if they get this one right, it'll be on my short list. Honda has just been disastrous with ideas lately, they need a home run.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is the video as mentioned above.  
Love the look!

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:51:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah, abrasion is anothing thing (hopefully) touring boots offer as advantage over street wear (lack of laces is another), but I think it really depends on the individual boot and design.

I've done a lot of comparison shopping with boots, and have owned some touring boots, and it seems like the gamut runs from "this just looks like a motorcycle boot" to "this is built like a tank" and a lot in between.

Part of that comes with trying to do too much with a boot for minimal purchase price. It's just impossible to have all day walking comfort, breathability, waterproofness, crush protection, slide protection, suppleness for shifting, and quality for a price you can afford. You have to compromise something, somewhere...and tailor it to your ride.

You have to look at the boot, give it a really good critical eye, wear it, try it, hopefully not wreck in it, and decide whether it's a good compromise for your desires and budget.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not a cheapskate when it comes to proper safety gear. And fortunately I know footwear very well, just not motorcycle boots. I wanted to get the Dainese TRQ tours or the Icon Raiden DKRs but they all just seemed too narrow for my feet. Even the icons have somewhat of an Italian last reducing the toe room.

Instead I ordered some Alpine Star SMX 6 boots.

How do those look?
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 11:27:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Went on my first "adventure" ride the other day with a local buddy who has a GS and way more experience adventure riding than me. I am more of a dirt bike kind of guy. All i have is a fairly decent KLR650. The bike did alright but it is not as nimble as my KX250. We rode roughly 75 miles of curvy roads to get to our destination. I'm still new to this on road motorcycle sport so i just kind of took my time gaining more confidence in myself. My partner Vince is a pro with that GS it is a totally different animal than my KLR and rightfully so. My bike is the kind you don't take can from or help find the lost puppy with. We rode in the Mark Twain national forest around Cabool. Where we were i can't exactly tell you nor can i take you there myself without directions. Coming to an end at the maintenance roads we took off through the 4 wheeler trails and finally riding the highline cuts.

Trail riding the KLR is like i said earlier a totally different animal. The suspension isn't set up for this kind of work I bottomed out several times. Somewhere in the mix i lost my kick stand broke off somewhere.

Vince and the heavy GS couldn't stay upright that dudes bike was taking naps all over the place.

Anyways enough rambling heres pictures.

" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Went on my first "adventure" ride the other day with a local buddy who has a GS and way more experience adventure riding than me. I am more of a dirt bike kind of guy. All i have is a fairly decent KLR650. The bike did alright but it is not as nimble as my KX250. We rode roughly 75 miles of curvy roads to get to our destination. I'm still new to this on road motorcycle sport so i just kind of took my time gaining more confidence in myself. My partner Vince is a pro with that GS it is a totally different animal than my KLR and rightfully so. My bike is the kind you don't take can from or help find the lost puppy with. We rode in the Mark Twain national forest around Cabool. Where we were i can't exactly tell you nor can i take you there myself without directions. Coming to an end at the maintenance roads we took off through the 4 wheeler trails and finally riding the highline cuts.

Trail riding the KLR is like i said earlier a totally different animal. The suspension isn't set up for this kind of work I bottomed out several times. Somewhere in the mix i lost my kick stand broke off somewhere.

Vince and the heavy GS couldn't stay upright that dudes bike was taking naps all over the place.

Anyways enough rambling heres pictures.

http://<a href=http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i439/Jhart1545/IMG_03561_zpscqrpxwze.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i439/Jhart1545/IMG_03571_zpsf2awco6s.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i439/Jhart1545/IMG_03661_zpscnqc6nfm.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i439/Jhart1545/IMG_03661_zpscnqc6nfm.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i439/Jhart1545/IMG_03681_zps1l0y1smd.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i439/Jhart1545/IMG_03711_zpsybbmveqn.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i439/Jhart1545/IMG_03721_zps2ewnvyk6.jpg</a>" />
http://<a href=http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i439/Jhart1545/IMG_03591_zpsuvae97kr.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

That's awesome man! So many "Adventure" bikes never leave the pavement or gravel!

I spent an hour and a half hot-dogging on a Ducati Multistrada last weekend (and then an hour on a Diavel). I really dug that Multi, but the Beemer will always be the ADV that I lust after. I'm REALLY lusting after them since our city (Billings, MT) has been invaded by thousands of them this week for the big BMW rally. I'm pretty damn happy on my FJR, but down the road I'm gonna have to get an ADV for some real non-paved adventure.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Went on my first "adventure" ride the other day <snipped>

View Quote

Good stuff, looks like the terrain I ride frequently. My bike takes dirt naps too, it's the name of the game when you're 400+lbs and on snotty stuff, I'm afraid.

Bet your buddy was huffing after the first couple pickups.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Good stuff, looks like the terrain I ride frequently. My bike takes dirt naps too, it's the name of the game when you're 400+lbs and on snotty stuff, I'm afraid.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Went on my first "adventure" ride the other day <snipped>

Dude after 4-5 hours we were beat. It was every bit of 90 degrees with 100% humidity.

I had a freaking blast though. I don't really fit the adventure rider theme my coat was peeled off after we hit dirt.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I keep sneaking rides in during the days I'm not up on the mountain.

I haven't had a chance to share my opinion on the Viking Survival Series Tank
http://www.vikingbags.com/survival-series-motorcycle-tank-bags.htm

It seems to fit fairly well on my older VStrom.  It holds well with the magnets, but can shift a little if I bump it getting on and off the bike.  Not a big deal, but notable.  The material is very heavy, and the zippers seem like quality, heavy duty ones that won't break.

Pockets are good size.  I can easily fit my gloves, a hat, wallet, and a bottle of water in the main pocket.  The phone case is a little small for my Note 4.  It fits, but barely, and I removed an inner neoprene piece designed to keep a slimmer, smaller phone next to the plastic screen.  

I bought mine on Amazon for less than $50.  Well worth it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Took a ride the other day with a guy from work. We rode to the hill, pretty sure it's the only one in North Dakota. I forgot to take a picture though. But that's ok, if you were to look at a piece of light brown construction paper from a top angle, that's a pretty fair representation of what you could see.

The important thing I learned though was that I really need a better seat. I'll be heading to Utah in about 1.5 months and I've got a 9 hour ride to my first overnight. Russell seats can't make anything in that time frame. I've got a query in with Terry Adcox now. Fingers crossed, my ass is depending on it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Took a ride the other day with a guy from work. We rode to the hill, pretty sure it's the only one in North Dakota. I forgot to take a picture though. But that's ok, if you were to look at a piece of light brown construction paper from a top angle, that's a pretty fair representation of what you could see.

The important thing I learned though was that I really need a better seat. I'll be heading to Utah in about 1.5 months and I've got a 9 hour ride to my first overnight. Russell seats can't make anything in that time frame. I've got a query in with Terry Adcox now. Fingers crossed, my ass is depending on it.
View Quote

9 hours is a long day on the saddle, no matter what bike you are on.  My best advice would be to start early and take plenty of breaks to walk out the stiffness.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 11:37:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote

Try ebay, I got a Russell off there for a decent price...no waiting. There's always Sargents for around $325 there too.

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you dont find something before your trip stop into a Walmart and get a Coleman ATV seat cushion for $20. It's no Russell day long but it does add some comfort to the stock seat and fits fairly snug.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-ATV-Comfort-Ride-Seat-Protector/16777864
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 5:08:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

9 hours is a long day on the saddle, no matter what bike you are on.  My best advice would be to start early and take plenty of breaks to walk out the stiffness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the plan.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Bought myself a Seat Concepts kit. They really seem to have good reviews. About as good as Corbins or Sargents and for half the price. I'll let you know how the DIY covering goes. I'll try to remember to take pictures of the process, but will probably forget or be too annoyed.

I've also noticed there is one other guy on an adventure bike around here. He's on a BMW, I think it's an 800. I'd always heard that BMW riders can be a bit clique-ish. But I don't think we can afford that as ADV bikers around here. We always give each other a strong wave that looks a lot less like "Keep the rubber side down" and a lot more like "Holy shit! I'm not the only one in this chromed hell hole!"
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seat Concepts.  I swear by Lem and his seats.

ETA: just saw where you got one. You wont be disappointed. Awesome seat and such a fantastic company.   They really took care of me when I rode out to them in CA. ( i was close)

you WILL need an air stapler. your standard staple gun wont work.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

ETA: just saw where you got one. You wont be disappointed. Awesome seat and such a fantastic company.   They really took care of me when I rode out to them in CA. ( i was close)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I figured that a hand stapler was one of those "It's doable but you probably shouldn't" deals.  I figured I'll get a harbor freight stapler, they aren't much more than a hand stapler and I don't need it to last. What size staples did you use? I need to know which stapler to get. I was going to send the seat in but I couldn't bear being without my bike for that long. I figured I'll get a harbor freight stapler. What size staples did you use? I need to know which stapler to get.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah, I figured that a hand stapler was one of those "It's doable but you probably shouldn't" deals.  I figured I'll get a harbor freight stapler, they aren't much more than a hand stapler and I don't need it to last. What size staples did you use? I need to know which stapler to get. I was going to send the seat in but I couldn't bear being without my bike for that long. I figured I'll get a harbor freight stapler. What size staples did you use? I need to know which stapler to get.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lem built my seat while I was there. Well, actually while I rode around on their seat. Had another on my tiger, seat pan sent to them.

in short, I've never covered one, but have many many miles on them..

Call  lem at Seat Concepts and ask what size they use.  Or
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Lem built my seat while I was there. Well, actually while I rode around on their seat. Had another on my tiger, seat pan sent to them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did call to ask about a few things. I asked about staple sizes but I forgot and now I'm too embarrassed to call back.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like your standard 18 gauge stapler will work, based on the videos on their site.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I might be able to join this group...bought a 2014 Kawasaki ABS Versys (KLE650).
Right now I have an OGIO tail bag which I really like for my needs.

I want to add luggage or semi-rigid textile side bags...
Anyone have recommendations on side/saddlebag mounts and cases? (I am on the Versys forum but still looking for optoins)...

Pics of course:

Edit: KLE was KLR...
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I might be able to join this group...bought a 2014 Kawasaki ABS Versys (KLR650).

Anyone have recommendations on side/saddlebag mounts and cases? (I am on the Versys forum but still looking for optoins)...

Pics of course:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k50/outdoorgb/Motorcycle/Kawasaki%20Versys2014/20150713_183104_zpsdsdw47hd.jpg
View Quote

Nice bike, congrats...love the Versys.

Hard to beat Givi racks/panniers for the $$, unless you want something more rugged/adventure worthy...and even then Givi Trekker-Outbacks are nice.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I might be able to join this group...bought a 2014 Kawasaki ABS Versys (KLR650).

Pics of course:
<a href="http://s85.photobucket.com/user/outdoorgb/media/Motorcycle/Kawasaki%20Versys2014/20150713_183104_zpsdsdw47hd.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k50/outdoorgb/Motorcycle/Kawasaki%20Versys2014/20150713_183104_zpsdsdw47hd.jpg</a>
View Quote

That is a great looking bike.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Pics of course:
<a href="http://s85.photobucket.com/user/outdoorgb/media/Motorcycle/Kawasaki%20Versys2014/20150713_183104_zpsdsdw47hd.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k50/outdoorgb/Motorcycle/Kawasaki%20Versys2014/20150713_183104_zpsdsdw47hd.jpg</a>
View Quote

Versys isnt the KLR.
It's KLE
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Versys isnt the KLR.
It's KLE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics of course:

Versys isnt the KLR.
It's KLE

Sorry...I'm getting older...Here is my KLR
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 8:08:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Another happy Seat Concepts customer.Huge improvement over the stock seat.
I used 1/4" staples that were recommended in their instructions and a Stanley hand stapler. I had to chase a few staples with a punch and hammer where the edges of the seat pan was flexible. An air stapler would definitely be better but it is possible to do it by hand.

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:34:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Hard to beat Givi racks/panniers for the $$, unless you want something more rugged/adventure worthy...and even then Givi Trekker-Outbacks are nice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics of course:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k50/outdoorgb/Motorcycle/Kawasaki%20Versys2014/20150713_183104_zpsdsdw47hd.jpg

As far as I know the Kappa brand is just their less flashy cousin right?

http://tourandride.com
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 7:25:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Yeah, kappa is Givi lower end line.

I had the Trekker on my Tiger. I really liked that you could open and close without a key, or use a key to lock them. Also liked that you could open the entire side, like for a top case, or just part of it, for a side case. I highly recommend the Trekkers. Come in black now too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#46]
There are two KLRs on this page and neither of them have milk crates.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

There are two KLRs on this page and neither of them have milk crates.
View Quote

They probably made their riding pants out of duct tape and zip ties to afford an upgraded top box.

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Try ebay, I got a Russell off there for a decent price...no waiting. There's always Sargents for around $325 there too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always been curious about the Russell. You have one?

I had a Sargent on my KLR and it was excellent.  There's a Sargent on my gs1200 that my dad had on there. It's great too.

But the Russell just looks so freaking plush.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I had a Sargent on my KLR and it was excellent.  There's a Sargent on my gs1200 that my dad had on there. It's great too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had one on my Vee. The current Wee has a Sargent and it's fine for my commuting.

The Russell is really in a world all its own. Super comfy, worth every penny. The only thing that's bad about it is it's wide and decreases your legroom a bit.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Nope, no milk crate.
MCM Electronics cases. $30 when I got them. $47 now.
Page / 13
Top Top