Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 36
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I've visited Kalemegdan and its military museum, the Tesla museum, walked around a lot downtown, and had lunch at the Hotel Moskva.

What would you say are the top 5 places a tourist should check out in Belgrade, besides the above?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello
I've been a LONG time lurker on this forum, and I've learned a lot about guns and American culture here. So i wanted to give you guys an equal opportunity to learn something about my country (since most of the stuff in the media internationally is BS).
I'm 22 now, so my knowledge is limited in some areas, but ask away and i will answer.

Also, it would be nice if people would restrain themselves from making racist comments

Cheers
Miroslav
View Quote

Miroslav,

Can you share your favorite recipe for pljeskavica?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Thoughts on Miladin Kovacevic?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Miroslav,

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Miroslav,

I did it a few pages back, basically 60:40 pork and beef, filled with cheese and bacon bits, with some crushed dried hot pepper to spice it up coupled with homemade buns and some kaymak

Quoted:
I've visited Kalemegdan and its military museum, the Tesla museum, walked around a lot downtown, and had lunch at the Hotel Moskva.

What would you say are the top 5 places a tourist should check out in Belgrade, besides the above?

Those are all awesome. I'd say our Airplane museum, maybe Avala tower (great view)... There are far better (and cheaper) places to get some lunch than Hotel Moskva, their food is not better than any traditional Serbian restaurant.

Quoted:
Thoughts on Miladin Kovacevic?

Dirtbag, should have left him to rot. Our country wasted buttloads of money to pay for his mistakes, just because of his parent's political connections. He had some incidents in Serbia too, after he came back
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 7:58:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Disclosure time. Where's your family from?
View Quote

He goes by Shqype, and his avatar is a photo of Albanian fighters.  What do you think?  While you're sleuthing, check on swede1986.  I think that bastard may be Swedish.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It was a mess (for people that don't know, Serbia played vs Albania in Belgrade, and Albanian prime minister's brother piloted a quadcopter with "Great Albania" flag onto the pitch (Great Albania consists of today's Albania, Kosovo, parts of Macedonia, Greece and Montenegro) and the players got into a fight over the flag. I mean, I expected something to happen, I'm just happy that the quad wasn't carrying a bomb
View Quote

I was going to raise the BS flag on OPs nationality until I read this.  He is a Serb.

Although you left out some facts.  The Albanian prime minister's brother was not alone; he conspired with Angela Merkel's brother, Erdogan's sister, and Jeb Bush.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#7]

What's happening there?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was going to raise the BS flag on OPs nationality until I read this.  He is a Serb.

Although you left out some facts.  The Albanian prime minister's brother was not alone; he conspired with Angela Merkel's brother, Erdogan's sister, and Jeb Bush.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was a mess (for people that don't know, Serbia played vs Albania in Belgrade, and Albanian prime minister's brother piloted a quadcopter with "Great Albania" flag onto the pitch (Great Albania consists of today's Albania, Kosovo, parts of Macedonia, Greece and Montenegro) and the players got into a fight over the flag. I mean, I expected something to happen, I'm just happy that the quad wasn't carrying a bomb

He was taken into police custody afaik. It was all over the news, I didnt pay that mich attention because I dont watch football often, i preffer basketball and esports
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#9]
ETA: Nevermind.  You're not a soccer fan.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Dobro decko da vidimo sta imas

Sta mislis o trenutnim tenzijama izmedju zandarma i kobri?
Dali je ovo igra moci  izmedju razlicitih vladinih ogranaka za vlast, ili samo odmazda kobri za prekomernu upotrebu sile nad bratom premijera Aleksandra Vucica u toku gej parade?

Dali mislis da je to samo bila provokacija i poruka SNS-u, umesani Zandarmi su navodno iz Nisa, dakle dali su znali ko je on, ili je bila iskrena greska?

S obizirom da nije pronadjen nijedan dokaz protiv Vojislava Seselja u Hagu dali je njegov produzeni boravak  rezultat politickog pritiska SNS-a u cilju da ga ucute? Poznato je da mu je ponudjena sloboda ukoliko se medijski ne eksponira.

Setao sam ulicama Leskovca i video gde su nase pametne bombe promasile Vojnu bazu i pokosile stambene zgrade. I ako sam Amerikanac bio sam dobro dosao.  Tamo se nalazi i dobra prodavnica oruzja

NOI
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Ne trebamo da govorimo na Srpskom.  Ako to radimo, ubiti cemo ovoj thread.

Kako se kazhi thread na srpskom?

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 9:55:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Trooper I told myself I would do this when I got home if someone else hadn't already. I know firsthand being a student makes it hard to afford some minor luxuries.

Log out and log back in team member

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:37:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

EVERYONE here has stashes, especially when you get closer to the border of Bosnia. AKs are most commonly stashed, with some Zastava m56s mixed in.

View Quote

Interested. Never knew they existed. Essentially an MP40 in 7.62x25

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Trooper I told myself I would do this when I got home if someone else hadn't already. I know firsthand being a student makes it hard to afford some minor luxuries.

View Quote

, the leg humpers are here!
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Do you play the bug and how many nights have you lost because of Slivo?
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Do you have a favorite track suit?
View Quote
lol

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:30:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:47:36 AM EDT
[#19]
What do you think of Novak Djokovic?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:28:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What's happening there?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What's happening there?

From the same soccer game, to give a sense of the Serb crowd some are downplaying.  That particular banner reads "glory to Putin."
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:36:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

He goes by Shqype, and his avatar is a photo of Albanian fighters.  What do you think?  While you're sleuthing, check on swede1986.  I think that bastard may be Swedish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm actually a printer repairman from Hoboken, NJ.

My name's Keith.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:18:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

From the same soccer game, to give a sense of the Serb crowd some are downplaying.  That particular banner reads "glory to Putin."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's happening there?

Thank you.  This is my surprised (and amused) face.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:25:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Are the Croatian and Russian languages related?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 5:26:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Trooper. Do Serb women get about with shaved micks?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Dali je ovo igra moci  izmedju razlicitih vladinih ogranaka za vlast, ili samo odmazda kobri za prekomernu upotrebu sile nad bratom premijera Aleksandra Vucica u toku gej parade?

Dali mislis da je to samo bila provokacija i poruka SNS-u, umesani Zandarmi su navodno iz Nisa, dakle dali su znali ko je on, ili je bila iskrena greska?

S obizirom da nije pronadjen nijedan dokaz protiv Vojislava Seselja u Hagu dali je njegov produzeni boravak  rezultat politickog pritiska SNS-a u cilju da ga ucute? Poznato je da mu je ponudjena sloboda ukoliko se medijski ne eksponira.

Setao sam ulicama Leskovca i video gde su nase pametne bombe promasile Vojnu bazu i pokosile stambene zgrade. I ako sam Amerikanac bio sam dobro dosao.  Tamo se nalazi i dobra prodavnica oruzja

NOI
View All Quotes
Quoted:

NOI

Ne volim ni jedne ni druge. Tenzije proizilaze iz razlicitih stranaka koje ih kontrolisu (sps za zandarme, sns za kobre)

Seselj je otisao u Hag kao unapred osudjena osoba, svo odugovlacenje je cista birokratija, covek je slabog zdravlja tako da je samo pitanje vremena do kada ce ga drzati neosudjenog u pritvoru. I mislim da to nema veze sa trenutnom vlascu, nisu mu ni ovi prethodni pomagali.

Quoted:
Ne trebamo da govorimo na Srpskom.  Ako to radimo, ubiti cemo ovoj thread.

Kako se kazhi thread na srpskom?

Da, ne bi trebalo, cisto odgovaram coveku. Thread is translated as topic, "tema".

Sorry to everyone else, I know that this wasn't very polite, but I got asked something in Serbian, so I answered it in the same way.

Quoted:
Trooper. Do Serb women get about with shaved micks?

If mick is a slang for women's private parts, then... it depends. Younger girls do it, older gals don't. Oh, and here you dont have to think about jailbait, our law is still outdated, 14+ is legal (with mutual consent)
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Wow, thank you this nice gesture really made my day. If you ever stop by here, I will buy you several beers :D

Quoted:
Do you play the bug and how many nights have you lost because of Slivo?

Playing the bug? I dont know the slang :/
And yeah, slivovitza screws you up a lot, but the hangover is almost non-existent if you drink quality stuff.

Quoted:
Rroft Shqipria Etnike he burra. Shkijet jan tvdek.

I cant speak Albanian, and Google translate fails on this :/ care to translate?

Quoted:
What do you think of Novak Djokovic?

He is really hyped here, people love him, but I personally dislike him. He claims to be a great Serb, to represent us etc, while he still keeps his Monaco dual citizenship and he pays his taxes there instead of paying them in Serbia, because Monaco is tax heaven

Quoted:

Yeah, very much. Croatian and Serbian are 95% the same language. Russian is a bit different, but far more natural to learn than English. But I started late with russian, and after 4 years of having Russian as a class in elementary school, I can barely introduce myself properly.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

Was on the cusp myself, Norcal has already sniffed his panties.

OP go out & get yourself a kick-ass avatar, welcome again!

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My name's Keith.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My name's Keith.

Welcome Keith.  I'm Sven.  I'm a chef.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Ok, you have your own version of the story obviously. You stick to that, and I will stick with what happens in my town, k? Anyone interested in the game can look up a video of Albanian (your?) players starting stuff on the pitch, despite the game previously being played despite everything.

And I won't even comment on the history part. You know, while the Turks occupied Kosovo, someone DID live there. Maybe Serbs? Maybe Albanians? Maybe Klingons? Beats me.

And please, stop playing a victim in order to sway the public opinion. "Šiptar" is a name that Albanians from Kosovo use for themselves, it is not nearly as offensive as the N-word.

And guys, I would really love to avoid this discussion since there will always be someone that finds us Serbs the source of all evil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, you have your own version of the story obviously. You stick to that, and I will stick with what happens in my town, k? Anyone interested in the game can look up a video of Albanian (your?) players starting stuff on the pitch, despite the game previously being played despite everything.

And I won't even comment on the history part. You know, while the Turks occupied Kosovo, someone DID live there. Maybe Serbs? Maybe Albanians? Maybe Klingons? Beats me.

And please, stop playing a victim in order to sway the public opinion. "Šiptar" is a name that Albanians from Kosovo use for themselves, it is not nearly as offensive as the N-word.

And guys, I would really love to avoid this discussion since there will always be someone that finds us Serbs the source of all evil.
All of the former Yugoslavia got the shit stick.  There wasn't a good end of it to end up on.

And that wasn't the first time you all got that shit stick either.  The fact that the Serbs have fallen into Putin's orbit is unfortunate, but not unsurprising.  Unfortunately, it's going to just perpetuate a conflict brought on by other people being assholes to you all.

Putin is just one more in a long line of assholes who intend to use you and fuck you over.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Serbo-Croatian is a slavic language.  I'd say Serbo is to Russian as Spanish is to Italian.  Very many cognate words, and similar structure, but enough differences that they really are different languages.  

Serbians use the Cyrillic alphabet and Croatians use a modified version of ours.  If you see a chevron over the letter, it makes the sound of that letter with an "H" added to it.  Z with a chevron is ZH.  S with a chevron sounds like SH.  

The Serbian Cyrillic is a bit different too, but it's legible from either side.  

Took me a full year to learn enough Russian to be useful.  Took about 6 months to swap over (sort of) to Serbo.  Now it's been long enough I mix em up and can't speak either one worth a damn.  Need to go over there and live for a while if I want either one back.  These days that doesn't sound like fun in Russia, and Serbia......   Well, we never really know how relations are going to shape up there.    Maybe I should go run charter boats out of Dubrovnik.    They got some awesome looking ladies over there.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My name's Keith.

Halo, I'm Masterchef.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#32]
No problem Trooper. Enjoy, this site can be a great source of info. I would love to travel around Europe someday but I'm young and broke as shit while planning for a wedding. Also with everything going on it seems like it's a bad time to travel to foreign countries if you're American. Someday though.

I know little of your country other than what I learned in school which limits my knowledge to pretty much WWI. I would love for you to do some threads talking about your country and post some cool pictures. If you ever find yourself stateside, you will find many friends here through this site.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#33]
OP needs a cool avatar.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I know little of your country other than what I learned in school which limits my knowledge to pretty much WWI. I would love for you to do some threads talking about your country and post some cool pictures. If you ever find yourself stateside, you will find many friends here through this site.
View Quote

Whatever interests you, ask away :) I will try to answer any kind of pic requests etc (and i will try to get to do those factory tours :)

Btw, here is the video of the whole military parade from yesterday, directly from our crappy national TV

You can see a nice display of Russian Air Force acrobatic group "Strizi" in the end, really nice flying.

Oh, and Serbiaball would be a nice avatar, but I think is too racist as a meme (CoC and stuff) so I will try to sketch up something in the coming days. If anyone has a suggestion, shoot :D

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#35]

I think that's it... it was 10 years ago and they served beer there... my memory is a little fuzzy.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

My Grandmother was Czech, she made this awesome ham and egg noodle casserole, what the fuck was it called, and do you have a decent recipe?

ETA: I know it's not the right country and I've asked anyone and everyone from that part of Europe for years
View Quote
Hehehe...was she Sudeten area?

Because I know exactly what you're talking about, and I've got the recipes to boot. Oh yeah....yep, that's some good stuff. Easy to make too.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Ever watch Charles Cather from youtube? He's an American teaching English in Serbia.

One thing that always bugged me was the word "srpski". Drzava je Srbija, zivis u Srbiji, pricas Srpski. Why use the "p"? I always thought Srbski would make more sense lol
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Because I know exactly what you're talking about, and I've got the recipes to boot. Oh yeah....yep, that's some good stuff. Easy to make too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Grandmother was Czech, she made this awesome ham and egg noodle casserole, what the fuck was it called, and do you have a decent recipe?
ETA: I know it's not the right country and I've asked anyone and everyone from that part of Europe for years

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Whatever interests you, ask away :) I will try to answer any kind of pic requests etc (and i will try to get to do those factory tours :)

Btw, here is the video of the whole military parade from yesterday, directly from our crappy national TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39LZ-jBtJVc

You can see a nice display of Russian Air Force acrobatic group "Strizi" in the end, really nice flying.

Oh, and Serbiaball would be a nice avatar, but I think is too racist as a meme (CoC and stuff) so I will try to sketch up something in the coming days. If anyone has a suggestion, shoot :D

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We've got a poster who's avatar is an Albaniaball holding an AK. you should be fine.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

We've got a poster who's avatar is an Albaniaball holding an AK. you should be fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I don't see that being against CoC.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ever watch Charles Cather from youtube? He's an American teaching English in Serbia.

One thing that always bugged me was the word "srpski". Drzava je Srbija, zivis u Srbiji, pricas Srpski. Why use the "p"? I always thought Srbski would make more sense lol
View Quote

Happens a lot in many languages - often in conjunction with the "s" sound.  It "hardens" the preceding consonant.  Hardens is probably not the right linguistic term... but b becomes p, v becomes f, d becomes t, etc.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:21:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think that's it... it was 10 years ago and they served beer there... my memory is a little fuzzy.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Slavija McDonalds. They still serve beer (all of them here do). But for under 4$, you can get a great pljeskavica (burger) and some beer anywhere (and the portions are huge, 1/2 pound of meat + bun + salad and stuff)

Quoted:

Haven't watched him, I will check out his channel

There is a tonal change, equalization of  consonants by...sound? And in Serbian, you write it as you pronounce it (one letter for one sound, O is for just O, not Ou like in English.  (take not, I haven't studied Serbian in years, so I may be off on the definitions).
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#43]
So what are the knife laws like there?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

What knife laws?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not properly defined. As in, they are whatever the cop searching you decides. There are some laws that allow blades under 4 inches, but they can always say that it is not a utility knife but an assault weapon, even if the blade is smaller than that. But it's mostly luck.
I EDC a Victorinox, I've never had any issues, but I did get some crap from the cops for having a Cold Steel Spike (Scottish model) in my bag when randomly searched (in the street, they have a right to do that)

Btw, Charles Carter videos linked above are great in showing you some Serbian "junk" food (as in food bought in the street, it's far from junk)
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Not properly defined. As in, they are whatever the cop searching you decides. There are some laws that allow blades under 4 inches, but they can always say that it is not a utility knife but an assault weapon, even if the blade is smaller than that. But it's mostly luck.

I EDC a Victorinox, I've never had any issues, but I did get some crap from the cops for having a Cold Steel Spike (Scottish model) in my bag when randomly searched (in the street, they have a right to do that)

Btw, Charles Carter videos linked above are great in showing you some Serbian "junk" food (as in food bought in the street, it's far from junk)
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn it a shame laws are like that over there. That would suck getting randomly searched.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Yup. I get searched quite a bit downtown (I have a long hair, that might be the issue), they usually try to find pot on teenagers, anyone with dreadlocks/mohawk is getting searched 99% of the time
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

What knife laws?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What knife laws?

That's my kind of place, unlike the rest of wussified Europe
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Started good and kinda went downhill.

But still beats most of Europe.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#50]
But generally, folders are OK (in any size) while bowie style stuff will get you a verbal warning (you can't explain how you use it as a tool to them). And that's for downtown Belgrade, through the country it's ok,
Page / 36
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top