ninja flex.. so ya..
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:22:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Project I have on the backburner.... VZ-61 Skorpion receiver

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:45:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've had really good experiences with Shapeways, they do a ton of materials including some high-detail ones that'll print to 1/10th of a Milimeter.

I've been doing 3D printing for quite a while with Shapeways, here's a handgaurd I did for an H&K USC45 (with a barrel long enough to change the classification to our "class 1" type guns)

Made from the "strong white & flexible" dyed black. It's a very tough nylon material! Drop tests and impact tests on the previous model were fairly excessive to actually manage to brake it. Basically took a hammer to it to do structural damage!

http://i.imgur.com/xidxCsg.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone have experience outsourcing 3D printing tasks to online companies?

I've got some lidar models of trees that I'd like to have models made of at some point.

I've had really good experiences with Shapeways, they do a ton of materials including some high-detail ones that'll print to 1/10th of a Milimeter.

I've been doing 3D printing for quite a while with Shapeways, here's a handgaurd I did for an H&K USC45 (with a barrel long enough to change the classification to our "class 1" type guns)

Made from the "strong white & flexible" dyed black. It's a very tough nylon material! Drop tests and impact tests on the previous model were fairly excessive to actually manage to brake it. Basically took a hammer to it to do structural damage!

http://i.imgur.com/xidxCsg.jpg

Thanks, man.  I'll check them out.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#4]
what is the general skill level needed to do this?

i have absolutely no experience in 3d printing.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:  So can those lowers take the abuse of 5.56? Or will they crack?

I'm sure they would make great 22 lowers
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I just bought the Da Vinchi 1.0a...

For 379 USD!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/tAW72Y_XPF4

Holy trigger control!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Cool!

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:119291

Here is a floor plate for a Ruger 22/45

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:119291

Here is a floor plate for a Ruger 22/45
<a href="http://s314.photobucket.com/user/hdc_ar15/media/3D%20Printed%2022-45%20Floor%20Plate/22_45Floorplateonmag1rev7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll434/hdc_ar15/3D%20Printed%2022-45%20Floor%20Plate/22_45Floorplateonmag1rev7.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s314.photobucket.com/user/hdc_ar15/media/3D%20Printed%2022-45%20Floor%20Plate/22_45Floorplaterev7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i314.photobucket.com/albums/ll434/hdc_ar15/3D%20Printed%2022-45%20Floor%20Plate/22_45Floorplaterev7.jpg</a>

View Quote

Very cool
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 7:05:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Holy trigger control!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/tAW72Y_XPF4

Holy trigger control!

Dayum
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 9:03:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

about how much was the printer? is it easy to use for a beginer?
View Quote
Not Sure what 3D modeling software the OP is using, but I've been using a free one from Autodesk.  It's called fusion 360.  The floor Plate for the 22/45,  I did that one on Autocad, with their 30 day free trial.  AutoCad is quite a bit more powerful and I found it easier, But it's a lot of $$$$$.  

For anyone that wants to see what it takes from concept to print, I made this video for fusion 360 and a Makerbot printer.

Warning: It's long, a bit boring, and I say "ummm" a lot.  But will give you a good idea on what it takes.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc7v-ezPqs0

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#14]
i just realized I get the auto desk suite free as a student

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Is that a CONDOM hammer spring?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I didn't notice that till you mentioned it
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Aha!  So this has what you've been up to besides making bigger particle cannons for Dictators.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Aha!  So this has what you've been up to besides making bigger particle cannons for Dictators.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Indeed!  I love the all the things that go pew pew, futuristic and otherwise.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:14:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Can you print anime figures??

My daughter draws the anime stuff like it came of a copying machine

She's really good at it.

I want to get her into painting some figures and use the money to help

Pay for her cheerleading trips

View Quote

That's what most people do with their 3D printer. Print 3D figures of their favorite character/object and hand paint it.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#20]
3d printer should come in 2 days.... so exited

First thing I am going to do is flash it with repetier host and set up octoprint on a pi
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

First thing I am going to do is flash it with repetier host and set up octoprint on a pi
View Quote

no use Marlin. and the Octopi.

check the amps on the motors too.. I did a swap on Steppers this weekend. new one was 1.5a rated to replace a 2.5a. Motor got crazy hot melted my wade extruder and burned the shit out of my hand.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Shouldn't the condom be the safety?

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Someone needs to do 3D printed  1911 Gunner Grips.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:43:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

check the amps on the motors too.. I did a swap on Steppers this weekend. new one was 1.5a rated to replace a 2.5a. Motor got crazy hot melted my wade extruder and burned the shit out of my hand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think Marlin would require me to swap the mother board... I bought an entry level printer, Da vinci 1.0a
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think Marlin would require me to swap the mother board... I bought an entry level printer, Da vinci 1.0a
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wow not even an entry in boards.h in marlin for it.. I'm shocked..

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people run repetier without any issue. Why is marlin superior, more support, more stable?

ETA: the da vici uses an audrino like board so it is strange that they don't have an option for it
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:57:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Most people run repetier without any issue. Why is marlin superior, more support, more stable?
View Quote

I've found it more stable. and much more support.. I use the repetier host for slice and setup. then push to a octopi for printing. I LOVE octopi.

ETA, there is a fork of marlin for the board. but its experimental. so use at your own risk.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've found it more stable. and much more support.. I use the repetier host for slice and setup. then push to a octopi for printing. I LOVE octopi.

ETA, there is a fork of marlin for the board. but its experimental. so use at your own risk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I just saw it on github. Not going to try it cause I think I will go way over my head if I do.

Apparently it uses a DUE board
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 3:33:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone have a blueprint for ITW fastmag belt version or something similar (blade-tech, safariland, etc) to it that I can print.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Glad I saw this thread! Im currently waiting on my Root Gp3d printer to get here (got it on kickstarter for 375 bucks back in march). Kinda wish I had held off and gotten the davinci 1.0 though.

Either way I've had good luck printing a few glock backplates on the 3ds Cube2 that I used to have in my old office. I have a Queue of parts I've made in Solidworks and now in ProE (just learning it for a new job im starting in a week). I'll be sure to post the results when it arrives in the next month or so.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#32]

I wish they had that episode on netflix! I can watch that show endlessly! I seriously looked at the Lulzbot taz line, my next printer will be a much bigger one hopefully. I looked at the Wanhao Duplicator 5s and even talked to their tech support about enclosing and adding enclosure heater, and suprising they were on board and supportive of it lol. They're supposed to be releasing a Dual Extrusion version of it "soonish"
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#33]
My printer is running well.

What should be my first weapons related print?

I am thinking a magazine body of some sort
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Stick with repetier. It's what the cool kids are running...

Well, not the newest version. 0.95 F is the hotness.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:  My printer is running well.

View Quote

Warfairy's Charon.  Do EEEET...  
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Not printed, but neat, nevertheless.

Bolt-Together AR Lower

Downloadable PDF at the link.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Not printed, but neat, nevertheless.

Bolt-Together AR Lower

Downloadable PDF at the link.

Best,
JBR
View Quote

Interesting.  I've printed lowers before, but with those drawings it would be dead easy to make it printable. All those flat pieces would be a very easy print.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  My printer is running well.

I don't think I could print something that large

Besides I'm concerned about printing a lower while at the same time complying with the undetectable firearms act
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm totally tagging this thread.

I was gifted a Solidoodle 2 from a colleague a couple of weeks ago, and have been playing with it as I have time. I've got some experience with 3D modelling in the past (Blender), but have no "active" skillset in that area. I'm working on it.

By all means - if anyone has ideas for projects, post them here. I'd like the challenge, and would love to get involved with other Arfcommers who are interested in this stuff.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Would there be interest in a "Thingiverse for gun stuff"?

I'm working on a project already that will allow render previews of arbitrary file types. I'm adding a task now to render .stl files, and once that's done I don't think it would take long at all to toss up a quick site to allow people to post up files.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 1:12:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm working on a project already that will allow render previews of arbitrary file types. I'm adding a task now to render .stl files, and once that's done I don't think it would take long at all to toss up a quick site to allow people to post up files.
View Quote

look at grabcad..
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Iphone mount mount (before my proper optic arrived)  :

I modified a swivel mount intended for cars to mount my iPhone to my rifle.  Then I synced it up with my TargetVision camera system and could watch my impacts without getting off the gun.  I'm working on having one made from Aluminum, since the polymer didn't stand up to recoil.

Then there was that time I made a lower which lasted over 500 rounds.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/caboose314/5B5EFC61-A137-42A8-A2C3-4BD8424C1D04_zpsunkd37og.jpg

I modified a swivel mount intended for cars to mount my iPhone to my rifle.  Then I synced it up with my TargetVision camera system and could watch my impacts without getting off the gun.  I'm working on having one made from Aluminum, since the polymer didn't stand up to recoil.

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/caboose314/Arfcom/ABS%20Lower%20Project/1234_cleaned.jpg

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/caboose314/Arfcom/ABS%20Lower%20Project/GEDC1670-1_cleaned.jpg

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/caboose314/Arfcom/ABS%20Lower%20Project/4_cleaned.jpg
View Quote

should of printed it on its side, and not standing up.. less shear lines on the back of the stock.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only if you want to be to subject of a unlawful federal investigation.....
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/caboose314/5B5EFC61-A137-42A8-A2C3-4BD8424C1D04_zpsunkd37og.jpg

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/caboose314/Arfcom/ABS%20Lower%20Project/1234_cleaned.jpg

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/caboose314/Arfcom/ABS%20Lower%20Project/GEDC1670-1_cleaned.jpg

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/caboose314/Arfcom/ABS%20Lower%20Project/4_cleaned.jpg
View Quote

Very nice.... Might want to check out the fosscad phobos v1.2.... people are reporting they can not get it to fail
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I weren't already on their list, I'd be ashamed of myself.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. Fuck it same here
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Project I have on the backburner.... VZ-61 Skorpion receiver

http://i.imgur.com/sBAyq68.jpg?1
View Quote

What kind of printer are you using? It came out so smooth and sharp!
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Besides I'm concerned about printing a lower while at the same time complying with the undetectable firearms act
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Warfairy's Charon.  Do EEEET...  

That's why he broke it up into multiple parts that interlock and you glue together.

And unless you're going to run w/ a plastic bbl, bolt, and bolt carrier as well, there's plenty of metal in your assembled firearm to meet the standards of the Undetectable Firearms Act.  If you so desire, leave some voids in, and before you print over the top, drop some change in there.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Something new to fight.  Write your congressmen, and make sure they hear you.

State Department wants to control 3D files under ITAR.

http://3dprint.com/71532/itar-3d-print-guns/

These are the same fucks who can't keep the Chinese from stealing my security clearance paperwork.

Best,
JBR
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top