BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 57
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#2]
An intentional walk should still require the batter to take 4 pitches out of the strike zone from the pitcher. Fuck this automatic pass shit. Make the pitcher throw the pitches if they want to use the strategy of an intentional walk. The intentional walk is supposed to benefit the defensive team, if they remove the four pitches they are saving the pitcher from throwing 4 pitches which could result in the pitcher facing an extra batter that he might not have been able to face due to a high pitch count. It is even more of a benefit to intentionally walk a batter when you remove the four pitches.

If they want the game to move faster then remove the play reviews. Baseball has never been a timed game and should never be a timed game.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I hate the instant replay. Bad calls are part of the game.

Baseball is a perfect sport. People need to quit fucking with it, especially if your bright idea is to "modernize" it. It been fine for over a century the way it is.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#4]
How many intentional walks are there usually in a game.... Yeah, that's what I thought.

This new rule wont save any time.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#5]
It gets worse when you consider Intentional Walks are in your average American League game.

I'm not all that impressed with the Rob Manfred administration so far.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate the instant replay. Bad calls are part of the game.

Baseball is a perfect sport. People need to quit fucking with it, especially if your bright idea is to "modernize" it. It been fine for over a century the way it is.
View Quote

We can be friends.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Damnit Trevor Bauer. Everytime I try to hate you more you go and pull a stunt like this.... And totally redeem yourself!

ETA: Not sure why it didnt show, but on the last tweet; the shit emoji was after liberal. It read as 'liberal [shit] delivered to my phone' on Twitter.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:21:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Go Cubs!! Pitchers and Catchers report Feb. 14th
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I know you were being sarcastic, but like another poster pointed out, sometimes weird things happen on intentional walks.  Further, how often do they occur?  Once every 2 or 3 games, if that?  Never thought about it before, but they don't happen every game for sure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Four pitches takes too long. Ten minute replays every other inning? That's fine.

The Bucs couldn't unload McCutchen, but can you blame the other teams? Who needs another anemic bat in their lineup? Maybe moving him to RF will help him defensively, but he's on the downhill slope of his career now.

I know you were being sarcastic, but like another poster pointed out, sometimes weird things happen on intentional walks.  Further, how often do they occur?  Once every 2 or 3 games, if that?  Never thought about it before, but they don't happen every game for sure.

I've seen pass-balls on intentional walks lots of times, which usually/typically result in the guy being intentionally walked standing at 2nd base looking pleased, the defenses dugout... not so much.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 9:21:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Diamondbacks #1 team

but really though were bad.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:18:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Tigers owner has passed away apparently.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#12]
So Spring Training is upon us. All is well with the world.

We don't have Kang, who is back in SK dealing with his DUI there. McCutchen is keeping his #3 spot in the order, despite his anemic batting. At least they took Nicasio out of the rotation and made him a reliever. The Bucs have a decent infield (but really need a solid 1B), a good outfield, and horrible pitching (of course), but we also have some good prospects due to come up from the minors or are already on the bench just looking to make a mark.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:19:13 AM EDT
[#13]
MLB Network started 30 clubs in 30 days today with Chicago in AZ.

In all reality, I CANNOT wait for Spring Training games to start. You guys don't understand me. Yes, I hate every team that is not the Detroit Tigers, but that is only because that is what God wants. But, I still follow every team. I follow baseball from the end of the World Series until the end of the World Series every year. 

My point? This fucking offseason was a limp dick of transactions. There were no good free agents, all the decent trades were finished by the Winter Meetings, and I am so fucking sick of politics that if I don't get head to head baseball games soon then I am going to commit seppuku with a pair of safety scissors. 

FUCKING 

SWEAR 

IT!
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:28:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

In all reality, I CANNOT wait for Spring Training games to start. You guys don't understand me. Yes, I hate every team that is not the Detroit Tigers, but that is only because that is what God wants. But, I still follow every team. I follow baseball from the end of the World Series until the end of the World Series every year. 

My point? This fucking offseason was a limp dick of transactions. There were no good free agents, all the decent trades were finished by the Winter Meetings, and I am so fucking sick of politics that if I don't get head to head baseball games soon then I am going to commit seppuku with a pair of safety scissors. 

FUCKING 

SWEAR 

IT!
View Quote
dibs on guns
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:32:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
dibs on guns
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FUCKING 

SWEAR 

IT!
dibs on guns

I un-dib you. 

I would never let my guns go to Not A Tigers Fan. Also, all of my gun (no shit, literally all of my guns) would be illegal in California...and I'm pretty sure they'd all be illegal in Maryland too. 
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 2:54:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Is Green Tips and steel corz league a go this season?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:06:04 AM EDT
[#17]
What do you guys make of this arbitration situation with Betances and the Yankees?

Who's right?

I'm thinking he'll be traded by July 31st.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What do you guys make of this arbitration situation with Betances and the Yankees?

Who's right?

I'm thinking he'll be traded by July 31st.
View Quote

He won't get traded. He's under team control and they got him cheap. 

Betances filed for too much money. First year are eligible relievers aren't worth 10 times what they were just making. So, that was dumb because arbitration is a question between the number that the team submits and the number that the player submits. There is no right of the arbitrator to say 'You want to give him $3 he wants $5 let's give him $4.' Betances would have had better luck had he gone for a more realistic number. 

Now, that said, arbitration is a difficult process. The team has to go in and argue that their player isn't good enough for this huge unreasonable amount of money that they're asking for. Basically, they go in and argue that you just aren't that valuable, and paying you that much isn't worth it and the team needs to pay you less money because you don't play well enough to justify paying you more. It's not friendly at all, and when you're done you have to keep that guy around and smooth things over for team cohesion. A player with a grudge can poison a club house. 

So, winning the arbitration was a business move for the Yankees and it was the right move, because he ain't good enough to get that kind of bump, bottom line. BUT to go out, in New York and talk shit about the arbitration process to the New York press, is fucking stupid as hell. That's the exact opposite of the right thing to do. You want to go out there and say the opposite of everything whatshisass said. You want to go out and say 'Dellin is a great player and a valuable member of the team, and we're glad to have him and we believe in his ability to contribute to this club and continue to develop in a very high level reliever as we try to rebuild winning baseball here in New York. We want to get back to a World Series and we know that Dellin is a big part of that, yada...' 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:25:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Manfred shit a brick today at a press conference because the union told him to fuck off with his stupid damn rule changes. So, no automatic intentional walk this year.

However, Manfred said that the teams have pretty much unfettered ability to implement changes next season and implement these rules without the union in 2018, so it sounds like we delayed the inevitable by one year. 

Maybe we can start a petition on whitehouse.gov to get The Donald to strong arm Manfred into not implementing the automatic intentional walk. 
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:34:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

He won't get traded. He's under team control and they got him cheap. 

Betances filed for too much money. First year are eligible relievers aren't worth 10 times what they were just making. So, that was dumb because arbitration is a question between the number that the team submits and the number that the player submits. There is no right of the arbitrator to say 'You want to give him $3 he wants $5 let's give him $4.' Betances would have had better luck had he gone for a more realistic number. 

Now, that said, arbitration is a difficult process. The team has to go in and argue that their player isn't good enough for this huge unreasonable amount of money that they're asking for. Basically, they go in and argue that you just aren't that valuable, and paying you that much isn't worth it and the team needs to pay you less money because you don't play well enough to justify paying you more. It's not friendly at all, and when you're done you have to keep that guy around and smooth things over for team cohesion. A player with a grudge can poison a club house. 

So, winning the arbitration was a business move for the Yankees and it was the right move, because he ain't good enough to get that kind of bump, bottom line. BUT to go out, in New York and talk shit about the arbitration process to the New York press, is fucking stupid as hell. That's the exact opposite of the right thing to do. You want to go out there and say the opposite of everything whatshisass said. You want to go out and say 'Dellin is a great player and a valuable member of the team, and we're glad to have him and we believe in his ability to contribute to this club and continue to develop in a very high level reliever as we try to rebuild winning baseball here in New York. We want to get back to a World Series and we know that Dellin is a big part of that, yada...' 
View Quote

That bold part is why I think they'll trade him. They've been trying to younger as a club. If he performs well, his stock will go up, and both will get what they want. Betances another team, Yanks get a few more prospects or maybe even an A or B rated major leaguer.

Edit: Betances sounded bitter about what Lavine did (which you described above) and it was stupid of Lavine, I hope he got an ass chewing from Cashman about it. And you're right, Betances just seems money hungry at this point. Dudes numbers are just not there to demand so much money and his only October play (wildcard game against Houston) was less than stellar.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:22:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Manfred shit a brick today at a press conference because the union told him to fuck off with his stupid damn rule changes. So, no automatic intentional walk this year.

However, Manfred said that the teams have pretty much unfettered ability to implement changes next season and implement these rules without the union in 2018, so it sounds like we delayed the inevitable by one year. 

Maybe we can start a petition on whitehouse.gov to get The Donald to strong arm Manfred into not implementing the automatic intentional walk. 
View Quote

Automatic walk is stupid and extra innings starting with a runner on second is fucking communism.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:29:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Auto walk is the stupidest shit I've ever heard, or damn near.

Wild pitches / passed balls happen on intentional walks every season, let the game be played.

Hell, didn't Johnny Bench get a hit in the Series on an intentional walk pitch that he was able to reach?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:49:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Auto walk is the stupidest shit I've ever heard, or damn near.

Wild pitches / passed balls happen on intentional walks every season, let the game be played.

Hell, didn't Johnny Bench get a hit in the Series on an intentional walk pitch that he was able to reach?
View Quote

steve posted a few vids last page of intentional walk fuck ups
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:59:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Almost time for spring training and the WBC.

Go O's!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:41:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Automatic walk is stupid and extra innings starting with a runner on second is fucking communism.
View Quote

Is that an actual idea being discussed?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:48:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Is that an actual idea being discussed?
View Quote

Yep. This new commish is trying to pervert the game.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I wonder if the owners will feel enough pushback from players and fans to oust Manfred. They did it with Fay Vincent when the owners voted No-Confidence in him.

That's really what needs to happen. Get fans to start making waves until the MLB just stops with the dumb mistakes like auto-walks and replays.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#29]
In some ways, it almost seems like MLB is trying to go down the NASCAR road with these changes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In some ways, it almost seems like MLB is trying to go down the NASCAR road with these changes.
View Quote

I can understand the thinking behind replays, but if the goal is to speed up the games to lure in non-baseball fans, then stopping the game really isn't the way to go. The rule was intended for managers to ask for obvious bad calls to be reversed, like the runner is out by a mile but is called safe. But it's used on such marginal calls like bang-bang plays or too close to call steals and it just drags the game to a halt. I mean, when enough time has passed that the  pitcher has to warm up again, there is something wrong.

I think it's just the owners not realizing just what the fan base they have wants versus a prospective fan base that may never come to pass.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#31]
So apparently, I stole too soon. 

The Automatic Walk is in for this year. Other changes, like limiting trips to the mound have been denied. Manfred flipped because he didn't get everything that he wanted. But, the Automatic Walk is apparently in. 

Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I think it's just the owners not realizing just what the fan base they have wants versus a prospective fan base that may never come to pass.
View Quote

Which is the same mistake NASCAR has made over the last 10-15 years in an effort to lure in the 'non-traditional' fan.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:53:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Which is the same mistake NASCAR has made over the last 10-15 years in an effort to lure in the 'non-traditional' fan.
View Quote

Yep. This shorten the game thing is some pipe dream of bringing in new fans. Nothing is going to make them come. They're going to drive away real fans if this keeps up. Rob Manfred is no fan of MLB.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 2:58:34 AM EDT
[#34]
In on 3!

I bleed Royal blue!

Still amazed that they made it to the World Series twice in my lifetime, and actually won one. Born and raised in KC, so I'm not expecting miracles, but.. World Series is coming back to KC this year.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:01:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So apparently, I stole too soon. 

The Automatic Walk is in for this year. Other changes, like limiting trips to the mound have been denied. Manfred flipped because he didn't get everything that he wanted. But, the Automatic Walk is apparently in. 

View Quote

So how does that commie shit work? Does the catcher just tell the ump we're walking this guy?

How about the opposing manager says fuck that, make him pitch?

Eta.. even intentional walk throws count on a pitchers arm. All part of the game.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:11:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So how does that commie shit work? Does the catcher just tell the ump we're walking this guy?

How about the opposing manager says fuck that, make him pitch?

Eta.. even intentional walk throws count on a pitchers arm. All part of the game.
View Quote

A signal from the dugout and the batter walks. That's it
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:12:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
In on 3!

I bleed Royal blue!

Still amazed that they made it to the World Series twice in my lifetime, and actually won one. Born and raised in KC, so I'm not expecting miracles, but.. World Series is coming back to KC this year.
View Quote

If Dayton Moore even thinks they're out of it in July, it's everything must go.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:38:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

A signal from the dugout and the batter walks. That's it
View Quote

If I was managing and that was used on me I would protest the game. Every fucking time.

Did FBHO somehow appoint this guy? Because the owners must have all been drunk.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 3:46:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

If I was managing and that was used on me I would protest the game. Every fucking time.

Did FBHO somehow appoint this guy? Because the owners must have all been drunk.
View Quote

What's weird is I see Manfred as the "fundamental change" commissioner. He's changing baseball in ways no real baseball fan wants, just like FBHO "changed" the country.

He's no baseball fan at all.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Let the games begin!  
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:00:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Can anyone give me a better platoon of six batters that can equal or outperform what the Astros are set up to do this year. I don't think you can.

Not the batting order but it should be close and these are definitely the top batters for the Astros :

1. George Springer
2. Alex Bregman
3. Jose Altuve
4. Carlos Correa
5. Yulieski Gurriel
6. Carlos Beltran

The biggest question mark is where will Beltran bat. He could be a cleanup hitter but then that bumps Correa. Last year when Hinch made the switch to put Springer at lead off and Altuve in the three hole, the runs started coming in.

Looking through the other teams rosters I can only come up with two other teams that could possibly have two separate "Top of the order" group of hitters. That would be the Rockies and maybe the Cubs.

The Rockies are stacked at hitting and make a good case to have a better platoon of hitters with Nolan Arenado, Carlos Gonzalez, Charlie Blackmon, Ian Desmond, Trevor Story and DJ LeMahieu.

I'm going to call it right now, League leaders for runs scored will be the Stros and the Rockies.

That is all
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Can anyone give me a better platoon of six batters that can equal or outperform what the Astros are set up to do this year. I don't think you can.

Not the batting order but it should be close and these are definitely the top batters for the Astros :

1. George Springer
2. Alex Bregman
3. Jose Altuve
4. Carlos Correa
5. Yulieski Gurriel
6. Carlos Beltran

The biggest question mark is where will Beltran bat. He could be a cleanup hitter but then that bumps Correa. Last year when Hinch made the switch to put Springer at lead off and Altuve in the three hole, the runs started coming in.

Looking through the other teams rosters I can only come up with two other teams that could possibly have two separate "Top of the order" group of hitters. That would be the Rockies and maybe the Cubs.

The Rockies are stacked at hitting and make a good case to have a better platoon of hitters with Nolan Arenado, Carlos Gonzalez, Charlie Blackmon, Ian Desmond, Trevor Story and DJ LeMahieu.

I'm going to call it right now, League leaders for runs scored will be the Stros and the Rockies.

That is all
View Quote

Ian Kinsler
Nick Castellanos
Miguel Cabrera
Victor Martinez
JD Martinez
Justin Upton

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Ian Kinsler
Nick Castellanos
Miguel Cabrera
Victor Martinez
JD Martinez
Justin Upton

View Quote

Those are both pretty damned strong.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:14:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Ian Kinsler
Nick Castellanos
Miguel Cabrera
Victor Martinez
JD Martinez
Justin Upton

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. George Springer
2. Alex Bregman
3. Jose Altuve
4. Carlos Correa
5. Yulieski Gurriel
6. Carlos Beltran

That is all

Ian Kinsler
Nick Castellanos
Miguel Cabrera
Victor Martinez
JD Martinez
Justin Upton

You've got 5, FIFY
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:24:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ian Kinsler
Nick Castellanos
Miguel Cabrera
Victor Martinez
JD Martinez
Justin Upton

There are a lot of strong lineups in the AL this year. Boston is going to be tough, Seattle is going to be tough, New York is going to be tough, Baltimore always hits a lot of home runs, Jef Banister works miracles in Texas. 

I think it's easier to count the teams who are out of it; Chicago, Minnesota, Oakland, Anaheim of Los Angeles (or vice versa, whatever), Tampa Bay and I think Toronto and KC are going to be around .500, not out of it, but not in it. Boston, New York, Baltimore, Cleveland, Detroit, Texas, Houston and Seattle are the teams that are going to be fighting for the playoffs. 

NL, I am going to say that Chicago isn't going to win another World Series. I think that Colorado (no one can pitch in Colorado), Cincinnati, San Diego, Arizona, Miami, Philadelphia and Milwaukee are out with St. Louis, Atlanta and Pittsburgh on the cusp. Washington, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco are going to be the playoff teams. I know, I'm going out on a limb here, but that's how I see it.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#46]
I agree with you about the AL teams.

And LA, NY and Washington are who I see in the NL.

And this commissioner has to fuckin go.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:38:20 PM EDT
[#47]
The Diamondbacks appear to be contenders for last place again.
I'm not sure what they're trying do but it doesn't look good.
But hey, baseball is back !!
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:42:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

There are a lot of strong lineups in the AL this year. Boston is going to be tough, Seattle is going to be tough, New York is going to be tough, Baltimore always hits a lot of home runs, Jef Banister works miracles in Texas. 

I think it's easier to count the teams who are out of it; Chicago, Minnesota, Oakland, Anaheim of Los Angeles (or vice versa, whatever), Tampa Bay and I think Toronto and KC are going to be around .500, not out of it, but not in it. Boston, New York, Baltimore, Cleveland, Detroit, Texas, Houston and Seattle are the teams that are going to be fighting for the playoffs. 

NL, I am going to say that Chicago isn't going to win another World Series. I think that Colorado (no one can pitch in Colorado), Cincinnati, San Diego, Arizona, Miami, Philadelphia and Milwaukee are out with St. Louis, Atlanta and Pittsburgh on the cusp. Washington, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco are going to be the playoff teams. I know, I'm going out on a limb here, but that's how I see it.  
View Quote

No Toronto this year? Interesting. 

Of course I'm biased but I'm not seeing anyone as strong as CLE this year. They're gonna be bigger and better than last. Although last year they had the element of surprise. That'll be gone this year. 
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:48:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Pittsburgh isn't on the cusp of anything but another 20 year losing streak. we just have no starters worth a damn, our franchise player (McCutchen) is on the downslope of his career, and our owners just don't want to spend the money to get the talent to make them competitive in a very tough division.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 11:54:39 PM EDT
[#50]

Go Tigers!

but they're not going to be good 
Page / 57
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top