Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#1]
what size vacuum belt did you guys use as replacement when the regular belts broke?
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 7:36:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bm3] [#2]
Holy crap I can't believe I didn't do this earlier .

Edit for pics
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I feel I am being sucked into another hobby.  I just received my Lee 50th anniversary kit, dry media tumbler, .223 dies, 30-30 dies, reloading books, and now I see this.  This site is bad for my bank account :)

I have a tumbler from a long time ago.  It is about the same as the HF one but better quality.  Looks like i am going to have to order the SS pins now.  

I have some really ugly brass and was wondering how I was going to clean them.  This has given me an answer.  I will be picking up all of the brass I can now.

It will take a while to tumble the brass I have.  I have about 3k .223 brass, over 1k 9mm, 500 30-30,  I have shot and saved.  Now I know how to clean them.  

Buzz.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Yah but are the primer pockets clean. With my HF double can unit and 1 pound of SS pins in each I had to do it twice for 4 hours to get ALL the carbon residue out of the primer pockets. I have to believe a bigger tumbler could do better, faster.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 6:07:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By _DR:

Yah but are the primer pockets clean. With my HF double can unit and 1 pound of SS pins in each I had to do it twice for 4 hours to get ALL the carbon residue out of the primer pockets. I have to believe a bigger tumbler could do better, faster.

Not perfect after 2 hours of tumbling but hey what do you want for $100 investment.  

I do agree that bigger if better that's why I ordered a tumbler B .   I'll still use this for small work.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 6:23:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jdm033056] [#6]
I was inspired by a thread on another forum about home built tumblers, and needed one for deburring Sight Mount and doing brass; here is my finished attempt. I had a motor, and the framing material, bought pillow blocks and pulleys as well as a Lortone 12 pound drum that was being cleared out. I have a little over 100 dollars in it including the new drum compared to the 250 - 300 for a new one in this weight class. It is very quiet and is turning the drum at 68 RPM. Clean inside case, clean primer pocket, clean flash hole. I can easily do 3 -4 pounds of brass or sights in this set up. The silver thing at 3 o'clock is the magnet I was using to pick up stray SS pin media. I am happy. :D

Here's the whole set up

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bm3:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x332/Mike_Boles/8DF1E907-F657-4489-9426-F53FB6DA95AD-2904-000005B01A4FDD90_zps1cd444cc.jpg

Not perfect after 2 hours of tumbling but hey what do you want for $100 investment.  

I do agree that bigger if better that's why I ordered a tumbler B .   I'll still use this for small work.

Yeah, I am a stickler for immaculate primer pockets.  It seems to be less of an issue with pistol cases.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jdm033056:
I was inspired by a thread on another forum about home built tumblers, and needed one for deburring Sight Mount and doing brass; here is my finished attempt. I had a motor, and the framing material, bought pillow blocks and pulleys as well as a Lortone 12 pound drum that was being cleared out. I have a little over 100 dollars in it including the new drum compared to the 250 - 300 for a new one in this weight class. It is very quiet and is turning the drum at 68 RPM. Clean inside case, clean primer pocket, clean flash hole. I can easily do 3 -4 pounds of brass or sights in this set up. The silver thing at 3 o'clock is the magnet I was using to pick up stray SS pin media. I am happy. :D

http://i40.tinypic.com/73grw3.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2ain31l.jpg

Here's the whole set up

http://i39.tinypic.com/5dkktz.jpg

That is a sweet rig.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 11:20:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 11:37:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 12:23:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry You're right I didn't see a home built thread.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 8:54:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
It's time to get this thread back on topic as it's swerved off course.

Topic for this thread is Harbor Freight tumblers.

If you want to post about a Thumbler model B, use this thread;

If you want to post about a Home built tumbler, use this thread;

I realize the new guys probably don't know about the other two threads, but now you do.

Thanks, dryflash3

I understand the need to police threads for CoC violations, but all the above is still relevant to this thread topic and plays into the discussion of the advantages and shortfalls of the HF tumblers,
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 4:42:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#14]
I have the double HF tumbler as I mentioned before. The problem I find is that the dual canisters (two instead of one but otherwise the same canister as the HF single tumbler) are small and can't hold much water, media and brass, per canister, and this inhibits efficiency in my opinion.

So I thought about trying to double my volume by trying to find a longer canister that could be about double the size (length) of the single ones, and so would still fit in the tumbler. So far I have checked hardware stores and kitchen supply type stores looking for something that would serve, haven't been successful yet, Thought about making one out of PVC pipe, but that would be quite heavy.

Anyone have any idea for this, short of welding and threading one out of aluminum pipe?
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Try Googling tumbler replacement barrels and see if a Thumblers or Lortone double drum will fit..
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 9:14:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: danpass] [#16]
I started with the single barrel HF roller and quickly met the size limit. Based on that I considered having two barrels wouldn't actually be much better in terms of cleaning volume.

The thumler setup was much more satisfying.

Either way, the SS method is the way to go.
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#17]
This is what happens when you leave a piece of brass in your drums for several months (haven't been shooting much so I haven't tumbled)

Think I might load a projectile into it and make it into a key chain or something :P
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 11:17:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By jbizzle:
This is what happens when you leave a piece of brass in your drums for several months (haven't been shooting much so I haven't tumbled)

https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/541/camerazoom2013051319190.jpg

Think I might load a projectile into it and make it into a key chain or something :P

should polish back up after a couple hours in the tumbler. It's still 100% brass.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#19]
So if I tumble my dirty brass for 2 hours with dawn and no media or lemishine, is that clean enough to run through my resizing die to deprime and resize, then tumble with media, lemishine, and dawn? Or am I doing this in wrong steps? I'm trying to avoid buying a vibratory tumbler. I bought the HB set up and everything, I hope I didn't ruin my dies?!?!

I thought I would resize then wet tumble with media and cleaners, and that would get the lube off. I think I might have just screwed myself.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 4:27:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#20]
Originally Posted By amedeo1227:
So if I tumble my dirty brass for 2 hours with dawn and no media or lemishine, is that clean enough to run through my resizing die to deprime and resize

I just do that in a 5 gallon bucket with soap and water. Just enough to get sand and grit off. Then again I use a universal decapping die that does not make contact with the walls of the cartridge, so the brass doesn't need to be very clean. I don't like to waste time tumbling brass with the spent primer still in since the primer pocket won't get clean.
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, I've been using this setup to slowly go through all of my 'really dirty' brass.  I'm happy with the results.

Pro tip: don't get lemi-shine in open cuts.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2013 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone else having a problem with the rubber tubing that lines the metal rod that rotates? On mine the tubing would move towards the plate that houses the motor and grind itself away until the whole thing just stops.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By D_LaMz:
Anyone else having a problem with the rubber tubing that lines the metal rod that rotates? On mine the tubing would move towards the plate that houses the motor and grind itself away until the whole thing just stops.

I believe mine was used although HF said it was new... The plastic had spots on it and its cracked and moved a bit. It runs fine though.

Did my first load last night and I'm super pleased.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By D_LaMz:

You can cut the tubing off and it still works fine.  I had problems with the shaft just spinning inside the tubing and not rotating the drum.  I just cut the tubing off and it works fine without it.  The drums are made of rubber so there is still enough friction to rotate the drum.

Link Posted: 5/23/2013 1:57:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#25]

I am planning to make a single long drum of PVC pipe that will replace the 2 heavy rubber drums. PVC is lighter and I'll be able to build in a screen filter to hold the pins back on one end and an open threaded cap on the other.

I am not impressed with those heavy rubber drums.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 11:16:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zlman] [#26]

I am planning to make a single long drum of PVC pipe that will replace the 2 heavy rubber drums. PVC is lighter and I'll be able to build in a screen filter to hold the pins back on one end and an open threaded cap on the other.

I think for the money they work great. I've had zero issues with the tumbler. I attribute that stroke of luck to the fact that I bought the $10 extended warranty which I never do, so now that I have it, I'll never need it

I own page 12, woohoo.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 11:45:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By zlman:

I think for the money they work great.

I don't disagree. But the weight of the rubber drums really cuts down on the amount (weight) of brass you can tumble since the motor can only handle so much weight and half of that is the drum (exaggerating a little), plus I'd rather just mess with one bigger batch at a time instead of two.

Link Posted: 6/18/2013 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Has anyone else had a problem with the rubber drums leaking? I had great success with the first 6 batches of brass I cleaned, then I put the tumbler on a shelf for a couple of weeks.

When I fired it up tonight, both of the drums leaked water and ss rods all over the bench - at least the bench is clean now

I'm thinking that a PVC replacement drum is the way to go, and wish I had bought the extended warranty...
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 11:12:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By glock099:
Has anyone else had a problem with the rubber drums leaking? I had great success with the first 6 batches of brass I cleaned, then I put the tumbler on a shelf for a couple of weeks.

When I fired it up tonight, both of the drums leaked water and ss rods all over the bench - at least the bench is clean now

I'm thinking that a PVC replacement drum is the way to go, and wish I had bought the extended warranty...

I don't see how mine could leak... If the lid is on right, the aluminum cover jams it down and the screw tension helps compress the container edges onto the lid. Mine haven't leaked ever. Make sure there is no air pressure once you get the lid on by pulling the lip of the container out a bit.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Well oddly, they didn't leak at first - it took around 4-5 minutes of tumbling before they started leaking.

Since the HF sale goes through the end of June, I picked up another one today and will compare the tubs tonight. I'm thinking that the original tubs have lost some of their "stiffness" and the SS pins are working their way between the edge of the tub and the top seal, causing the leaks. I'll be sure to provide an AAR though.

Link Posted: 6/19/2013 7:27:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: glock099] [#31]
So yes, I did pull a Homer (doh).

It turns out that I did not push the inner lid down far enough into the barrell, and that's what was causing the leaking. Once I pushed it all the way down, it sealed fine and has been running for 2 hours now without a leak.
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By faldoc:

I don't see how mine could leak... If the lid is on right, the aluminum cover jams it down and the screw tension helps compress the container edges onto the lid. Mine haven't leaked ever. Make sure there is no air pressure once you get the lid on by pulling the lip of the container out a bit.

Yup. Gotta "burp" them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 11:42:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Optimal65G] [#33]
Anyone use any actual polish while wet tumbling? Looking for something to help buff up the shine in my wet tumbler for stuff that I am selling/trading. Nothing that is harmful to the brass though. Any tips greatly appreciated.

withdrawn
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 5:24:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Anyone having issues with the brass staying shiny?

It looks beautiful when I bring it out, but after drying off the brass gets darker and sometimes it has spots on it. I believe all the ugly spots were from the really hard water around here so I bought 1 gallon of distilled water and it still getting dark after its sits around after tumbling.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By InfiniteGrim:

It looks beautiful when I bring it out, but after drying off the brass gets darker and sometimes it has spots on it. I believe all the ugly spots were from the really hard water around here so I bought 1 gallon of distilled water and it still getting dark after its sits around after tumbling.

I'm finding that a couple of hours in the walnut media in a vibratory tumbler takes care of that. The Stainless media does a great job of getting the crud, but I find the walnut media really does a nice polish job.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I have my first batch of 45 cases spinning now. I need to know how much a half 9mm case of lem shine weighs? I don't have any 9mm cases.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By robrath:

what size vacuum belt did you guys use as replacement when the regular belts broke?

Never got a response from anyone on this, can someone chime in?

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By StretchMaK:
I have my first batch of 45 cases spinning now. I need to know how much a half 9mm case of lem shine weighs? I don't have any 9mm cases.

A 1/2 9mm case of lemi-shine weighs 6.0 grains.

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 11:35:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By samurai84:
Originally Posted By StretchMaK:

A 1/2 9mm case of lemi-shine weighs 6.0 grains.

Thank you

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#41]

interesting.  Details?
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 2:59:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Got my HF dual drum tumbler.  Very happy with its size as I don't have a lot of room in my garage and I'm only doing small batches (100 cases or less) at a time.

I sprayed some silicone on/in the bearings and am now wondering if I need to adjust tension on the belt from the default factory setting.  I've read that some of you have adjusted tension.  Is it mandatory?  I don't want to start breaking belts, but I ran a test (just with two empty drums) and it runs just fine and is pretty quiet.

I am probably going to cut a hole in the metal plate that covers the motor assembly and add an AC fan to help keep the motor cool, after reading about how some of you experienced softening of the plastic parts inside that compartment....

Picked up some Dawn and Lemonshine and am anxious to get started.  Got a 5lb bag of media from Midway a few months ago when they ran the special (think I learned of that special here).

One question... Will the SS media deburr the case mouths after trimming?
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 2:17:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tucansam] [#43]
I picked up the HF dual drum tumbler + 1 year protection at HF yesterday for $67 out the door (I know, I missed the coupon date by 48 hours, didn't know they were open on the 4th, oh well).  

I've done a lot of question asking here recently and figured I'd share some of my experience for others or for those who are still on the fence.  Started my first batch this morning, 100 rounds of Winchester once-fired .223, de-primed.

--

These weren't horribly dirty but there is obviously room for improvement.

--

I'm doing all of this by weight for now, not volume.  Empty drum weighs 14.75oz.

--

50 pieces of de-primed brass brings it up to 1lb 9.5oz.

--

Added just enough tap water to come to the bottom of the top layer of brass.  2lbs 1 5/8oz.

--

Added "about" 1lb of SS media, weight came up to 3lbs 1.5oz.

--

Decided to run a tad heavy and added water to cover the entire concoction, plus a tad more.  3lbs 8oz now.  I got the $10 warranty so I could put the tumbler through its paces, so I might as well start now.  I may adjust the SS media/water levels down a little based on how this first batch turns out.  I have some super dirty sun baked muddy range brass to try also, will be interesting to see if the same formula works for that.

--

Added five drops of Dawn and a small amount of Lemonshine.

--

Will initially tumble for two hours and see what the results look like.  It was 90 degrees in my garage, and with the posts regarding softening of the plastic components in the motor housing, figured I'd cool it a little on this first run.  My ultimate plans are still to add a small AC fan to the metal motor housing cover.

So far I am pleased.  The tumbler is very small (which I like), very quiet, and I had no problems with sealing the drums or leaks.  So far its a pretty simple setup to operate.  The hardest part will probably be getting the materials/time component dialed in.

Will post back shortly with results of the initial tumble.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 3:05:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tucansam] [#44]
I did some research while I was waiting and will try this fan:

http://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-AI-80SCX-Control-Cabinet/dp/B009OY3EZG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1373222450&sr=8-4&keywords=80mm+120v+fan

After two hours of tumbling, I checked one drum.  Here are the results:

Pretty amazing all around.  Inside and outside of the case look new!!!  The primer pocket is not 100% clean, and the water is not sudsy.  Everything I've read says you want the water to be sudsy when you open it.  So I'm going to tumble for one more hour and then check the primer pocket, and next time around go with ten drops of Dawn per drum.

Happy so far.  The motor is WAY TOO HOT TO TOUCH despite putting the room fan on it, and the plastic parts inside the motor housing are, in fact, a little soft, so I'll be ordering the fan mentioned above.  If that doesn't cut it I'll likely order a ridiculously fast squirrel cage fan to blow super hard air right over the motor.  Based on my preliminary results I'd like this thing to last a while.  Two hours in my Lyman vibro tumbler with clean corncob media and NuFinish would have barely scratched the surface of the dirt on these cases...

More to come.

---

ETA

Well after another hour, primer pockets were still not totally clean, so I added five drops of Dawn to both drums and will tumble for another hour.

For those interested, the ambient air temp in my garage is 90F, and the motor itself is measuring 125F, with the plastic fan attached to the shaft measuring 105F.  This is after three hours of use.

ETA

--

For those interested, I found this post, which for me was very helpful and has some ideas I may use:

http://www.mailleartisans.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=11341&sid=d9b4fb24662a2c8dda2d41bb3734bdd7
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#45]

If you squeeze the drum while putting the Black top on it allows the air to flow out of the drum and it won't leak .
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 6:22:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tucansam] [#46]

Four hours total.  Pretty happy.  Primer pockets are mostly clean, a few have some thick stuff in there that didn't chip all the way down, but sure as heck reduced it to barely visible.  Sorting in my pie tin/strainer/sink was a huge PITA, even with this small batch.  Media sorter is definitely next purchase.

Only issue was two pins stuck in a flash hole on one case, had to get a small punch to remove them.

Added a heatsink to the bottom of the motor of the tumbler, will add a second to the top once I fabricate a new cover that includes a fan mount.

Link Posted: 7/7/2013 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 12:07:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: samurai84] [#48]
Every batch of .223 that I do has 1-5 cases with pins stuck in the flash holes depending on how long I tumble (I typically do 4 hours).  I just have make sure I check them and punch them out before I set them out to dry.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 12:58:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By InfiniteGrim:

i had this exact same problem, asked a few people how to fix it, and i think i made a thread about it happening, ANYWAYS:

a bunch of people replied with help, what ended up happening to me- i would rinse them really good, get all the pins out and then put them in a small bucket in my big sink in the laundry room, then set them out to dry in South Louisiana in the sun in 109 degree weather

i was rinsing them almost TOO good with cold water, i filled the bucket with hot water, added a 1/2 teaspoon of lemishine, as soon as put them in the mixture, BAM!!! instantly turned back to how they looked when coming out the tumbler. Stirred them a little, drained the water, gave the bowlingball dry method in a towel and put them in the oven at 200 degrees or outside in the hot sun, still looks like they did coming out the tumbler.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 11:24:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tucansam] [#50]
120 rounds of 22 Hornet (60 per drum) came out obnoxiously bright after three hours.  Like borderline uncomfortably bright.  The brass almost looked white.  It was beautiful.

Within a few minutes, and after I baked them on a cookie sheet at 200F for 12 mins, they were back to their brass color, still shiny though, just a little darker and with less sheen.

Lots and lots of pins stuck inside the cases, and the corncob media (this was previously tumbled brass) is still stuck in the flash holes.  

I took the drums outside and ran the garden hose in each for 30 seconds, then sloshed the mix around with my hands for a minute with the hose at the bottom of the drums.  No loss of media or brass, and rinsed everything pretty well.

Put the brass in a coffee can and shook the hell out of it, that seems to have loosened the SS media (which were wedged sideways inside each case near the bottom).  Now I gotta pick the brass out all over again.

Media separator and the ensuing violence it creates is definitely on the short list now.

ETA 22 Hornet

Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top