User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 102
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JAR-SPR:
Looks fine.

I would wipe clean with CLP or some Simple Green then CLP to make sure there is no evidence of an end cap strike.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JAR-SPR:
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:
I'm assuming this is normal - it's just odd because it didn't look like this a year or so ago when I last used it.

I put 200 rounds through it (a mix of Magtech CBC and IMI Razorcore - both 77gr OTM) and this was about a year and a half ago. Just haven't had a chance to shoot since then with work and kids. When I brought it home after that range trip, it definitely didn't look anything like this, but I'm guessing having it sit in my safe over time, that eventually fouling from those 200 rounds will start to do this?

I guess I figured it would take more than 200 rounds to get this kind of fouling/corrosion? Or maybe this is totally normal and it's not a big deal.

If it is normal, is it worth cleaning it? It doesn't look like it's anything other than residue build up from spend rounds, but seeing as how I've only used this for a couple hundred rounds, I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7920/46463737524_bfac75d9b6_k.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7895/32245497897_0d4c5ec770_k.jpg
Looks fine.

I would wipe clean with CLP or some Simple Green then CLP to make sure there is no evidence of an end cap strike.
Cleaned it up with CLP - looks good now.

There is a very tiny tiny little mark on the end cap hole where it looks like something may have grazed it, but I mean it's really tiny - only noticeable if you look really hard. Doesn't appear to be anything serious.

I've heard that is common with these cans though? Not end cap strikes, but because the diameter of the hole is so small (compared to other 5.56 suppressors), that it's not uncommon to see super tiny little graze marks if you look closely at the end cap hole?
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Cleaned it up with CLP - looks good now.

There is a very tiny tiny little mark on the end cap hole where it looks like something may have grazed it, but I mean it's really tiny - only noticeable if you look really hard. Doesn't appear to be anything serious.

I've heard that is common with these cans though? Not end cap strikes, but because the diameter of the hole is so small (compared to other 5.56 suppressors), that it's not uncommon to see super tiny little graze marks if you look closely at the end cap hole?
View Quote
It may be a small burr from the slight chamfer from what I’ve been told. I’ve seen this on mine and it turned out to be fine.
Link Posted: 2/25/2019 11:48:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: k31user] [#3]
It's just the moisture in the air reacting with the powder fouling after sitting. Strikes happen, but rarely affect accuracy. I can usually take care of it in a day or two if it needs a bit of TLC.
RonA
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 1:53:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone tried one of the Spike's combo mounts in any of the AE cans? Not a huge fan of contouring the barrel on my AUG, and I wanna see what other options exist to circumvent that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By WriterClarke:
Has anyone tried one of the Spike's combo mounts in any of the AE cans? Not a huge fan of contouring the barrel on my AUG, and I wanna see what other options exist to circumvent that.
View Quote
Couple of us have. Go about halfway down pg. 26 you’ll see mine with all the specs.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Rothperson87:
Couple of us have. Go about halfway down pg. 26 you’ll see mine with all the specs.
View All Quotes
I think he's talking about this, not the gas block.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 5:43:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: boltcatch] [#7]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:
View All Quotes
I just threw one on a barrel.   Optics Planet has them at a bit of savings vs. direct from Spike's.

Haven't shot it yet.   Visually, it's a lot nicer than expected.   I'm getting out to shoot it in a week or two and will report back; expecting it to throw silly fireballs by itself but otherwise work fine.    I don't plan to ever shoot the thing with the can off after that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Is it possible to mount an aem5-30 on a 16" SCAR 17? Would the barrel need to be modified?
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it possible to mount an aem5-30 on a 16" SCAR 17? Would the barrel need to be modified?
View Quote
Send me a picture of the area between the gas block and the muzzle. I've done a few.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 2:35:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WriterClarke] [#10]
Originally Posted By boltcatch:

I just threw one on a barrel.   Optics Planet has them at a bit of savings vs. direct from Spike's.

Haven't shot it yet.   Visually, it's a lot nicer than expected.   I'm getting out to shoot it in a week or two and will report back; expecting it to throw silly fireballs by itself but otherwise work fine.    I don't plan to ever shoot the thing with the can off after that.
View Quote
I'd love to hear how it works. If I can save myself from having to get my barrel cut, rethreaded, and contoured to top it off, that'd be awesome.

Also, which of the cans are you able to throw on it? Whatever can goes on it is pretty much going to be a permanent fixture on the gun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#11]

I'd love to hear how it works. If I can save myself from having to get my barrel cut, rethreaded, and contoured to top it off, that'd be awesome.

Also, which of the cans are you able to throw on it? Whatever can goes on it is pretty much going to be a permanent fixture on the gun.
View Quote
It's meant for the Spikes LRS/MRS cans, which use the same mount style as the AEM2, AEM3, etc... Not the AEM5.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:31:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WriterClarke] [#12]
So I can slap a AEM4 on it? Trying to go for as much suppression and least back pressure as possible due to the AUG's already overgassed system.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By k31user:
It's just the moisture in the air reacting with the powder fouling after sitting. Strikes happen, but rarely affect accuracy. I can usually take care of it in a day or two if it needs a bit of TLC.
RonA
View Quote
Thanks, Ron.

Looks like I was concerned over nothing - all is good.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Send me a picture of the area between the gas block and the muzzle. I've done a few.
View All Quotes
Thanks, Ron - will do.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:59:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KGLaw] [#15]
Originally Posted By Dinnertime:
Been thinking about cutting down a CZ 527 varmint and making my AEM 5 work or using a ruger american ranch.

Anyone have an AE can on a 16 inch bolt gun?
View Quote
@Dinnertime

This is just a mock up for you. Non-functioning in this configuration.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#16]
@WriterClarke

Sent a message about the Spike’s mount.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Anybody know where to find a .30 Cal AE/Ops Inc brake?
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I have them in stock.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:05:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I have them in stock.
View Quote
How much?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:39:27 PM EDT
[#20]
New rifle being built by Dresden Gun Works

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 2:02:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Beautiful! I'm planning on contouring my Grendel for an AEM5-30 if I can find one after tax season.
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#22]
What kind of covers are you guys using to reduce mirage off your AEM5s?  Anyone using this one, and would it fit?
Rifles Only HAD cover
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Marsh_Rat:
What kind of covers are you guys using to reduce mirage off your AEM5s?  Anyone using this one, and would it fit?
Rifles Only HAD cover
View Quote
Armageddon Gear.
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I have an armageddon gear one for my 308 can. Need to order another shorter one for my 556
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Marsh_Rat:
Rifles Only HAD cover
View Quote
I use that one you can see it on the last page. It works well.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Does anyone know if a spikes collar will fit an aem5-30?
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#28]
THis thread is a gold mine... and also the worst thing I have looked at in a long time.... for my wallet that is...

I got a Mk12 barrel in a trade, and thought well I will look into the AEM5 suppressor... ended up here and I am now have about 10 uppers half planned and I have not even made it to ordering a AEM5 yet...

Sadly I want to make the MK12 as quiet as possible, but I also want to use an AEM5-30 on my 308 eventually... guess I will have to start saving my pennies to get both

But bravo to all the guys in here posting good tech stuff and great inspirational pics of their builds.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Random question, does anyone know if AE offers a muzzle brake in 3/4x24 for a SR25?
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Shrockster:
Random question, does anyone know if AE offers a muzzle brake in 3/4x24 for a SR25?
View Quote
Here is a place to start looking:  https://adcofirearms.com/products/manufacturer/allen-engineering/
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Not enough meat to comfortably make a 22mm OD thread with a 3/4" ID thread.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Not enough meat to comfortably make a 22mm OD thread with a 3/4" ID thread.
View Quote
Thank you

I cant get ADCO to open on my work computer, hence I figured I would ask
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#33]

do i have enough meat left to turn it down for an AEM5? THATS the dream!
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
https://i.postimg.cc/htB9vXfB/IMG-20190313-121021.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/zXjfwvx5/IMG-20190313-121012.jpg

do i have enough meat left to turn it down for an AEM5? THATS the dream!
View Quote
Bolt gun? I was daydreaming about the setup this morning.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Use a Remington collar. I make them in either .800 or .850 ID. Turn the barrel back straight to a point 2.5" rearward + the length of the collar(about 3.02 total), Then thread it. The collar will slide back against the turned shoulder and stay put with just a drop of loctite. Pretty simple to do. ADCO does a nice job on this and gets it done quickly.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Use a Remington collar. I make them in either .800 or .850 ID. Turn the barrel back straight to a point 2.5" rearward + the length of the collar(about 3.02 total), Then thread it. The collar will slide back against the turned shoulder and stay put with just a drop of loctite. Pretty simple to do. ADCO does a nice job on this and gets it done quickly.
View Quote
ADCO's work:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 5:54:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#37]
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:
ADCO's work:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57471/IMG_0776_JPG-876190.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:
ADCO's work:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57471/IMG_0776_JPG-876190.JPG
Iron, that's a great pic. and thanks for the info Ron. i can either send it to adco or i I can crack off my barrel and work with my machinist instructor here if i wanna try it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 9:05:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: k31user] [#38]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:

Iron, that's a great pic. and thanks for the info Ron. i can either send it to adco or i I can crack off my barrel and work with my machinist instructor here if i wanna try it.
View Quote
If your machinist has any questions or needs a collar, let me know. That's a short SPR collar in the picture, they can be re-bored as well.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Ron are you currently making M4 AEM5 collars?
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Breakcontact:
Ron are you currently making M4 AEM5 collars?
View Quote
Yes, but i can only make blanks, then machine to fit the individual barrels. No two M4 barrels  are alike any more. Give me the dimensions of your barrel and I can make one for you.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:06:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Muzzle and at ear dB testing tomorrow. I’m pretty excited.

Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By goloud:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83570/2EFEA939-B11F-4D23-8425-7C40B140572E-877121.jpg
View Quote
Looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 5:38:56 AM EDT
[#43]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83570/2EFEA939-B11F-4D23-8425-7C40B140572E-877121.jpg
View Quote
Pete, you going to test SBRs as well as longer guns? Would love to see them on 11.5 and 10.5" guns (10.5" with a Spikes gas block or short collar).
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 5:42:11 AM EDT
[#44]

Pete, you going to test SBRs as well as longer guns? Would love to see them on 11.5 and 10.5" guns (10.5" with a Spikes gas block or short collar).
View Quote
Ron was nice enough to let me borrow a short upper as well.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 10:49:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Does the BA 16” SPR barrel have the correct contour for the Ops 12/AEM can? The others from the SPR line do, and the 16” premium Gov Tac profile does also. I have the Gov Tac profile (which is evidently the contour from the Mod-H). A stiffer barrel might be just what I need for my next build.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote
I hope you kept an eye out for cars while you took that picture of the suppressors laying in the middle of the street.

RonA
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By airpirate:
Does the BA 16" SPR barrel have the correct contour for the Ops 12/AEM can? The others from the SPR line do, and the 16" premium Gov Tac profile does also. I have the Gov Tac profile (which is evidently the contour from the Mod-H). A stiffer barrel might be just what I need for my next build.
View Quote
Yes. My 16" BA premium is on my MOD-H, no issue with my AEM-5.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By PR_addict:
Yes. My 16" BA premium is on my MOD-H, no issue with my AEM-5.
View Quote
The shoulders appear to be in much different locations. I do not think this is correct. I think different collars will be required.
Link Posted: 3/16/2019 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#50]

I hope you kept an eye out for cars while you took that picture of the suppressors laying in the middle of the street.

RonA
View Quote
I promise to wipe off the tire tracks before returning them...
Page / 102
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top