BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By m4hooah:
Originally Posted By JC10311:
Originally Posted By JoshAston:
ETA:  Do not list multiple calibers in the caliber section of the Form 1, you're just increasing your chances of getting your form sent into error status.

I was suggesting putting the additional calibers in the Additional Marks block (4h), not in the caliber block.  Is that OK?  I posted how I plan to fill out the form a few responses above this.  I'd appreciate it is someone could verify that this novice (me) is getting it right.

Negative.  Just today, my son received a letter from the NFA branch stating that his Form 1 was returned for the following reason:

1. "Multiple calibers not accepted; additional configuration(s) must be listed on separate letter stating caliber, barrel length and overall length as related to the above mentioned firearm"

On line 4h, he entered "May also be used with 7.5", 12.5" barrels and 9mm caliber".  I've done that on all my SBR's, and they were all approved that way.  Now they won't accept that.  He sent his paperwork in almost 6 months ago, and we just now get this?!?  

VERY frustrating, to say the least!

This makes sense.  4h specifically states that it's for additional markings on the firearm, not additional info about the firearm.  There are a lot of things that they were letting slide before that they're not now.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By m4hooah:
Originally Posted By JC10311:
ETA:  Do not list multiple calibers in the caliber section of the Form 1, you're just increasing your chances of getting your form sent into error status.

I was suggesting putting the additional calibers in the Additional Marks block (4h), not in the caliber block.  Is that OK?  I posted how I plan to fill out the form a few responses above this.  I'd appreciate it is someone could verify that this novice (me) is getting it right.

Negative.  Just today, my son received a letter from the NFA branch stating that his Form 1 was returned for the following reason:

1. "Multiple calibers not accepted; additional configuration(s) must be listed on separate letter stating caliber, barrel length and overall length as related to the above mentioned firearm"

On line 4h, he entered "May also be used with 7.5", 12.5" barrels and 9mm caliber".  I've done that on all my SBR's, and they were all approved that way.  Now they won't accept that.  He sent his paperwork in almost 6 months ago, and we just now get this?!?  

VERY frustrating, to say the least!

This makes sense.  4h specifically states that it's for additional markings on the firearm, not additional info about the firearm.  There are a lot of things that they were letting slide before that they're not now.

Damn man. That sucks,

If you get a rejection for something like that, can you make corrections and re-submit or do you start at the back of the line again?

Also, I've decided to go with 5.56 for the form. If I intend to get a .300 blk also, I need to attach a letter, correct? Is there an official letter form to fill out, or just stick a brief note of explanation in the application package?
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Stantonizm:
Damn man. That sucks,

If you get a rejection for something like that, can you make corrections and re-submit or do you start at the back of the line again?

Also, I've decided to go with 5.56 for the form. If I intend to get a .300 blk also, I need to attach a letter, correct? Is there an official letter form to fill out, or just stick a brief note of explanation in the application package?

You get put in error status.  They'll contact you with the corrections needed and set your form aside until you submit the corrections.  Once they get the corrections, they'll approve it and send it to you.  Usually, as long as you take care of things in a timely manner, you'll only be in error status for about 2-3 weeks.

No, there's no need to attach a letter.  You can if you want to, but it's not required.  There is no official form for any letters, just type something up and include it if you want.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 11:23:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TYDEMAN] [#4]
Are folks using Quicken Living Trust Maker for their trust?  I notice it defaults saving it  to "John Doe Revocable Living Trust".   So can I just find/replace/edit the document and save it to be named in all places as  "My Cool Gun Revocable Living Trust" on the Form 1 and engraving on receiver?   (But leave out the words "Revocable Living" on the Form 1 and the engraving?)

Or is it best to omit the words "revocable living" on everything and just leave it simple "My Cool Gun Trust."

Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TYDEMAN:
Or is it best to omit the words "revocable living" on everything and just leave it simple "My Cool Gun Trust."

This.  You'll have to export it to word to edit the name.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Thanks.  Do you know Is there a difference between a regular "Trust" and a "Revocable Living Trust"?
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 11:41:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Thanks.  Do you know Is there a difference between a regular "Trust" and a "Revocable Living Trust"?

The name doesn't make it a revocable living trust, the terminology right after the name does.  The way it's set up in Quicken it says something like "The John Doe Revocable Living Trust is a Revocable Living Trust." or words to that effect anyway.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 12:07:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Thanks.  Do you know Is there a difference between a regular "Trust" and a "Revocable Living Trust"?[/quote]

The name doesn't make it a revocable living trust, the terminology right after the name does.  The way it's set up in Quicken it says something like "The John Doe Revocable Living Trust is a Revocable Living Trust." or words to that effect anyway.[/quote]

Thank you.  I'll just leave it named as "Cool Gun Trust" as I notice there are other descriptors in the document that describe the document to be a living trust.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 10:38:15 AM EDT
[#9]
In box 8, Signature - do I sign the form Bobby Jones, Grantor     OR     Bobby Jones Trust, Grantor?

Do I need to right my personal name or the name of the trust? Please let me know and feel free to PM me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Your name, grantor.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Much appreciated!

I did a NOLO online trust this weekend and thinking it was a good idea transferred the AR15 rifle lower to the trust. Does it matter or was that a good or bad idea?

I plan on getting a money order at lunch and mailing out the paperwork this afternoon.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#12]
So lets say my SBR gets approved and I get the stamp back and assemble it.... Can I then put a vertical forearm on the SBR? I have heard rumors that I would then need to do a $5 AOW stamp to legally be allowed to.

The law's are soo poorly constructed Asking two different people from the ATF got me 3 different answers.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#13]
My trust Schedule A lists my AR Lower (the one  I am intending to get SBR'd and a flat screen TV. It is written in letter format NOT like a spreadhseet format that I have seen many written.

Do I need to provide space for them to write in the information on my schedule A or do I just need to provide a Schedule A to prove that the trust is funded?
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Can I include a generic Schedule A form that I found online that is blank or should I write the info in for them?
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#15]
A couple Questions regarding Form 1's and Engraving:

My trust name (as worded on the actual trust document) is written as "First Name, Middle Initial, Last Name, Revocable Living Trust"

Q1: For Box 3b. on my Form 1, and  For engraving my receiver, can I just put "First Name, Middle Initial, Last Name, Trust" for the name...or do I need to include "Revocable Living" as well?  **I know address is also needed**

Q2:  For Form 1's, is 244 Needy Road, Suite 1250, Martinsburg, WV 25405 still the appropriate address to mail all my stuff to?

Q3:  I'm sending in paperwork for 2 SBR's at the same time.  Should I enclose and mail them in separate envelopes, or can I put all paperwork for both applications in the same envelope, and just paperclip them separately?

Thanks for any help guys!

-Mike
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By dennisrl84:
So lets say my SBR gets approved and I get the stamp back and assemble it.... Can I then put a vertical forearm on the SBR? I have heard rumors that I would then need to do a $5 AOW stamp to legally be allowed to.

The law's are soo poorly constructed Asking two different people from the ATF got me 3 different answers.

Yes you can put a VFG on an SBR.  You can't put one on a pistol, that's it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#17]
My trust Schedule A lists my AR Lower (the one  I am intending to get SBR'd and a flat screen TV. It is written in letter format NOT like a spreadhseet format that I have seen many written.

Do I need to provide space for them to write in the information on my schedule A or do I just need to provide a Schedule A to prove that the trust is funded?

Provide the Schedule A.  They won't write anything on it.  Your Title I firearm on there is fine.  Include a separate note stating that the firearm o. The Schedule is currently in Title I status and in your possession.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Can I include a generic Schedule A form that I found online that is blank or should I write the info in for them?

Generic is fine.  It can't be blank, has to have something in it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Xskier45:

My trust name (as worded on the actual trust document) is written as "First Name, Middle Initial, Last Name, Revocable Living Trust"

Q1: For Box 3b. on my Form 1, and  For engraving my receiver, can I just put "First Name, Middle Initial, Last Name, Trust" for the name...or do I need to include "Revocable Living" as well?  **I know address is also needed**

Q2:  For Form 1's, is 244 Needy Road, Suite 1250, Martinsburg, WV 25405 still the appropriate address to mail all my stuff to?

Q3:  I'm sending in paperwork for 2 SBR's at the same time.  Should I enclose and mail them in separate envelopes, or can I put all paperwork for both applications in the same envelope, and just paperclip them separately?

-Mike

1). Whatever your trust says.  That's why I advise people to take out the revocable living part.

2). Yes

3). Same envelope is fine.  Not 100% sure, but I believe you only need one set of supporting documents when submitting multiple forms, i.e. two fingerprint cards, one certificate of compliance, etc.  You can also pay with a single check or MO as long as its enough to cover each stamp submitted
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 12:26:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Xskier45] [#20]
Originally Posted By Xskier45:

-Mike

1). Whatever your trust says.  That's why I advise people to take out the revocable living part.

2). Yes

3). Same envelope is fine.  Not 100% sure, but I believe you only need one set of supporting documents when submitting multiple forms, i.e. two fingerprint cards, one certificate of compliance, etc.  You can also pay with a single check or MO as long as its enough to cover each stamp submitted

Thanks very much Sir.  

Do you know if I can change my Declaration of Trust to remove the Revocable Living verbiage?  I used Quicken, and have an exported copy in Word Format...so I know that technically, I can do it...but didn't know if it's acceptable.  The signed and notarized portion of the original Declaration makes no mention of "Revocable Living," so that original portion would remain as-is, but I could edit and re-print the other pages to omit where RL is used.  I have other three other tax stamps under the original name though...so doing that may create a conflict.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 5:04:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Type up an amendment changing the name.  Or start a new trust.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 11:47:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wgsig] [#22]
disregard
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Do i need to send in one copy of my Trust with my Form 1, or two copies of my Trust?  I swear with the silencers I kept reading you needed two copies of the Trust.

About to send the packet in, so wanted to confirm!

Thanks
KingOfTheBumps

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 12:42:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: November5] [#24]
Originally Posted By KingOfTheBumps:
Do i need to send in one copy of my Trust with my Form 1, or two copies of my Trust?  I swear with the silencers I kept reading you needed two copies of the Trust.

Thanks
KingOfTheBumps

One.  You need two copies of the Form 1 and two fingerprint cards.  Everything else you only need one of.  

ETA:  Fingerprint cards are only needed if you're submitting as an individual
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 2:15:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Oh fuck me. I didn't send fingerprint cards at all with my trust and Form1

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 2:18:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Nutro:

You don't need them with a trust.
Link Posted: 12/20/2012 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Thanks
KingOfTheBumps

One.  You need two copies of the Form 1 and two fingerprint cards.  Everything else you only need one of.

Originally Posted By Nutro:

You don't need them with a trust.

He got confused because you responded to my post, where I mentioned my Trust, and you added fingerprint cards needed.  I think you just missed my Trust in your initial reply to me, which is what created the confusion.

Might want to edit and strike through your original reply to me mentioning the fingerprint cards to prevent future confusion on people reading this thread.

Related to this, thank you for your answers and help!  I really appreciate it!

KingOfTheBumps

Link Posted: 12/20/2012 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#28]
He got confused because you responded to my post, where I mentioned my Trust, and you added fingerprint cards needed.

I was just generalizing that those are the only things you need to send in duplicate, the fingerpring cards and the Form itself.  Edited my original post to clarify.
Link Posted: 12/31/2012 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#29]
So what is the verdict on box 4h? Blank or put something in there?
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 12:52:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Well, my Form 1 was kicked back for 4E stating "4 in.-15in". and 4F "21in.-33in". The letter explains "Form must specify the barrel length and overal length, approximates and estimates are unacceptable".  They used a blue high lighter on my Form 1 too.  I used another personal APPROVED Form 1 as a template for this Form 1. GO FIGURE.  Anybody use white out strip and just use a type writer to correct barrel length and OAL??  Clock is ticking too.  The letter is dated 12/17/2012 and I just received it last week. WTF?

BTW, this is for a 9mm SBR with a 5 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 1:11:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By miker84:

I think it depends on your examiner
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 1:12:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Senorx:
Well, my Form 1 was kicked back for 4E stating "4 in.-15in". and 4F "21in.-33in". The letter explains "Form must specify the barrel length and overal length, approximates and estimates are unacceptable".  They used a blue high lighter on my Form 1 too.  I used another personal APPROVED Form 1 as a template for this Form 1. GO FIGURE.  Anybody use white out strip and just use a type writer to correct barrel length and OAL??  Clock is ticking too.  The letter is dated 12/17/2012 and I just received it last week. WTF?

Yeah, they haven't been accepting forms with multiple lengths and calibers for a couple years at least.  White out and typewriter is fine.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 1:25:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Senorx:

Yeah, they haven't been accepting forms with multiple lengths and calibers for a couple years at least.  White out and typewriter is fine.

My last Form 1 was in 2009, so a couple of years sound right.  I called the BATF to inquire about the white out, but haven't received a call back.  I'll get on that white out and resend. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 8:08:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: miker84] [#34]
Originally Posted By miker84:

I think it depends on your examiner

I'm going to hedge my bets and send in two forms for two different lowers. I'll either get 2 approved at the same time, or one approved and the other goes to error status.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Got a hold of the BATF this morning and asked about correcting my Form 1. I was told a line across the typo with initials or white out strip would be acceptable for corrections.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#36]
I am doing an SBR lower and plan to run as a pistol in the meantime, should I do overall length as just the buffer tube or should I add the 1" for when a stock is installed?

Link Posted: 1/2/2013 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Uofaspyder:
I am doing an SBR lower and plan to run as a pistol in the meantime, should I do overall length as just the buffer tube or should I add the 1" for when a stock is installed?

OAL is measured with the stock fully extended.
Link Posted: 1/2/2013 10:57:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I printed my Form1 from the ATF website and filled it out.

Upon inspection of the application, I noticed it says to mail it to:

Martinsburg, WV.

I thought the applications had to mailed to Georgia. Anyone have any info on this?
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Form 4s go to Atlanta.  Form 1s go to Martinsburg.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Form 4s go to Atlanta.  Form 1s go to Martinsburg.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 6:22:55 PM EDT
[#41]
My lower is marked "CAL-MULTI". I have '.223, Multi' on my form 1 4c. Is this correct or should I put in only 5.56?

thx
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Doesn't matter what your lower is marked. Pick a caliber and go with it.  You can change uppers at any time but you can only build one initial configuration.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Doesn't matter what your lower is marked. Pick a caliber and go with it.  You can change uppers at any time but you can only build one initial configuration.

thx. stamp 3 off.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quick question...  I know I need to include duplicates of the 5320 and 5330, but do I need to include duplicate copies of the certified trust?  It's been a while since I've applied, and I swear that I only included one copy of the trust in the past, but I just want to make sure I don't need to include two.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By westford86:
Quick question...  I know I need to include duplicates of the 5320 and 5330, but do I need to include duplicate copies of the certified trust?  It's been a while since I've applied, and I swear that I only included one copy of the trust in the past, but I just want to make sure I don't need to include two.

Form 1/4 and fingerprint cards are the only forms you have to send in duplicate.  Since you're using a trust, you won't need fingerprint cards.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Here's a question that might have already been answered, but I haven't had time to go through all 18 pages.

My trust was set up in Georgia.  If I'm not mistaken, when you engrave a lower for Form 1 you put your trust name, and also city and state.  What do I do?  I've since moved from that state, and am not sure if I put the current city I reside in, or where my trust was set up.

Has anyone had issues with this before, or am I making too big a deal over that?
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Who is the check written to? The form 1 has Dept. of Justice, the instructions say Bureau of ATF.

Is this the correct address for a form 1?

NFA Branch
Suite 1250
244 Needy Rd.
Martinsburg, WV 25405-9431
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By gotigers:
Who is the check written to? The form 1 has Dept. of Justice, the instructions say Bureau of ATF.

NFA Branch
Suite 1250
244 Needy Rd.

Yes, that's the right address.  It really doesn't matter who you make the check out to, they'll still cash it.  As Tony is fond of saying, you could make it out to Mickey Mouse, they'd still cash it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 12:52:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By gotigers:

NFA Branch
Suite 1250
244 Needy Rd.

Yes, that's the right address.  It really doesn't matter who you make the check out to, they'll still cash it.  As Tony is fond of saying, you could make it out to Mickey Mouse, they'd still cash it.

Yep, I've made a check to DOJ and BATFE and they both were deposited.
Link Posted: 1/14/2013 6:32:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midwestoffroad] [#50]
My F1 was delivered today well see how long it takes..

Edit ATF cashed my check 1/23

Next update hopefully less than 8 months
Page / 15
Top Top