BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 29
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 12:34:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The ACR's charging handle was less than ideal IMO. If they had kept the original location from the Masada, it would have been much better. Forward charging handles tend to interfere with tape switch routing for lasers and lights, which obviously isn't a consideration for most users, but still one that needs to be accounted for. After using SCARs, ACRs, 556s, etc, the AR's charging handle location is still the best for optics and laser/light placement. The SCAR is still the only "modular" gun that you can lock the action back with one hand(assuming the charging handle is on the left hand side).

There is nothing preventing you from putting an M4 style stock on the MCX. I plan on using a UCIW personally once the eform gets back. The appeal with the SAS stock isn't the adjustments, it's the folded/collapsed profile, same with the "subgun" style stock.

The thing that has crippled current "modular" weapons systems such as the SCAR and ACR has been the lack of modularity due to availability of parts. The SCAR only recently got factory SBR barrels, the ACR, still nothing. The MCX coming out in the first batch with multiple barrels is already setting itself apart from existing "modular" designs.

I'll give you the bolt release location on the ACR was ideal, but at least on my personal ACR, it required a lot more force to release than any of my ARs with a BAD lever and the bolt release operation isn't that big of a deal for the AR/MCX/SCAR in general if your gun isn't malfunctioning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
To make this clear, I'm not a fan of the SCAR etiher so it's not FN rocks Sig sucks type deal. And that's not to say that either one isn't a nice rifle, it's just if I'm going to switch from a well refined AR-15, that new platform must be better in every single way and not bring new faults to the table.

Side charging handle? Absolutely if you are producing a new platform. The forward side charging handle position and the bolt release on the trigger guard are inarguably the best spots for the those respective controls. It allows the user to manipulate the action without having to break their firing grip when done properly. Remington has it not only away from the rail to prevent interference with optics, but it folds down out of the way to prevent snag on gear. They nailed it. Additionally, I have no idea why Sig would go with the stock choice they did. I know they advertise how cool it is to change between the stocks, but the thing is all the stocks suck. Subgun stock or a Galil like fixed stock are your options. Not like anyone wears PCs right? ACR stock is height and length adjustable - which why not give those capabilities to the end user.

I could go on about other things that they missed the boat on IMO but this is not the thread for that. One last thing I'd like to point out, is the Remington ACR does have a QD barrel, it's not as fast as the Bushmaster or AUG, but it doesn't need to be. It's like the LMT MRP system and allows the gun with the re-worked rail to save a lb of weight.

The ACR's charging handle was less than ideal IMO. If they had kept the original location from the Masada, it would have been much better. Forward charging handles tend to interfere with tape switch routing for lasers and lights, which obviously isn't a consideration for most users, but still one that needs to be accounted for. After using SCARs, ACRs, 556s, etc, the AR's charging handle location is still the best for optics and laser/light placement. The SCAR is still the only "modular" gun that you can lock the action back with one hand(assuming the charging handle is on the left hand side).

There is nothing preventing you from putting an M4 style stock on the MCX. I plan on using a UCIW personally once the eform gets back. The appeal with the SAS stock isn't the adjustments, it's the folded/collapsed profile, same with the "subgun" style stock.

The thing that has crippled current "modular" weapons systems such as the SCAR and ACR has been the lack of modularity due to availability of parts. The SCAR only recently got factory SBR barrels, the ACR, still nothing. The MCX coming out in the first batch with multiple barrels is already setting itself apart from existing "modular" designs.

I'll give you the bolt release location on the ACR was ideal, but at least on my personal ACR, it required a lot more force to release than any of my ARs with a BAD lever and the bolt release operation isn't that big of a deal for the AR/MCX/SCAR in general if your gun isn't malfunctioning.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Gross.

All that effort and they mold in an A2 pistol grip.

I remember asking about that thing at Shot Show over 6 years ago. They had to have made the goofiest product rollout of all time with that one. .22LR pistols, etc and they are just now finally getting around to the actual 5.56mm version.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Gross.

I remember asking about that thing at Shot Show over 6 years ago. They had to have made the goofiest product rollout of all time with that one. .22LR pistols, etc and they are just now finally getting around to the actual 5.56mm version.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Gross.

The ARX has a lot going for it. Molding an A2 grip was not a good idea though... The price point is excellent on them at $1200. They just need to roll out with short barrels and .300 BLK.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm currently trying to decide between the SBR and the carbine.

I know "technically" accuracy isn't overly affected between these barrel lengths on the 300 blk but does it really play out that way in practice?  Thinking 100 yards.
5.56 is another story but I dont care about that here.

Other than the tax stamp - what advantage in practicality would the 16" barrel offer?

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:40:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Info provided by AAC:

The 300 AAC BLACKOUT (300 BLK) cartridge is highly efficient and outperforms 5.56mm when used in a short barrel rifle
and comes very close to the energy of 6.8 SPC but with less powder and resulting blast. The included AAC BLACKOUT
flash suppressor eliminates all secondary muzzle flash. Compared to subguns like the MP5-SD, it has more accuracy,
more penetration, and 165% the energy at 200 meters. These properties make it ideal for personal security.
AMMO COMPARISONS
At muzzle: 5.56mm, 9 inch barrel, M855, 2570 fps, 909 fpe.
300 BLK, 9 inch barrel, 110 grain V-MAX, 2150 fps, 1129 fpe (24% better than 5.56mm).
6.8 SPC, 9 inch barrel, SSA 115 SMK, 2173 fps. 1206 fpe (7% better than 300 BLK).
At 300 yards: 5.56mm, 9 inch barrel, M855, 1873 fps, 483 fpe.
300 BLK, 9 inch barrel, 110 grain V-MAX, 1437 fps, 504 fpe. (4.3% better than 5.56mm).
6.8 SPC, 9 inch barrel, SSA 115 SMK, 1146 fps, 534 fpe (6% better than 300 BLK).
300 BLK, 9 inch barrel, 155 SMK, 1329 fps, 601 fpe (13% better than 6.8mm).

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw a post on another forum where a member says SIG is going to change back to a user-adjustable gas system due to fouling in the current design.

Anyone heard anything definitive about this?

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 12:57:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Do you have a link for that?

Sorry for the edit. My new powers are not fully mature. I meant to quote.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw a post on another forum where a member says SIG is going to change back to a user-adjustable gas system due to fouling in the current design.

It was either SIG Forum or SIG Talk. Let me see if I can find it and post a link. But it was just something he'd heard. No mention really of what changes we may or may not truly see.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It was either SIG Forum or SIG Talk. Let me see if I can find it and post a link. But it was just something he'd heard. No mention really of what changes we may or may not truly see.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-rifles/34043-sig-mcx-4.html
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THX!

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#11]
1 of the things about the gun is that it is supposed to maintain proper bolt speed suppressed and unsuppressed without fiddling with it. So going backward to a manual system would be a mistake in my book.

Maybe they are just going to add some kind of manual override to it in case the gun is very dirty or you have some bad ammo.

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

THX!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THX!

I wonder if the 7.62x39 version needs a multiple position system. It wasn't designed with supersonic/subsonic compatibility in mind like the 300BLK and tends to run dirtier due to the lower end ammo. Perhaps it is just the 7.62x39 that will have a different gas selector.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder when the upper kits will be available for us SBR owners.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wonder when the upper kits will be available for us SBR owners.
View Quote

I did speak with Sig about lower conversion parts about a week ago. They were estimating about 2 months for the time frame on the lower "extension". Didn't ask about selling the upper separate. I was more interested in seeing if I could quickly toss it one of my SBR lowers rather than wait for my stamp to come back.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#15]
The member on SIGTalk has posted again. Apparently no changes coming to the gas system at this time.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:51:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

With some other gen3 friends.

<a href="http://s897.photobucket.com/user/AssSupt/media/mcx/5FDFA945-654E-473E-89FA-C624E4EA36DD_zpsldi41ky1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac180/AssSupt/mcx/5FDFA945-654E-473E-89FA-C624E4EA36DD_zpsldi41ky1.jpg</a>
View Quote

That's an awesome collection. Add an MGI Hydra and Robarm XCR and it will be GEN3 perfection.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hmm.........maybe street price will be cheaper down the line since it's a single caliber. Cabela's carries the two caliber kit for 1,899.99...........I will keep on the lookout for them

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Hmm.........maybe street price will be cheaper down the line since it's a single caliber. Cabela's carries the two caliber kit for 1,899.99...........I will keep on the lookout for them

Quoted:
[
MAP is $1749 - so somewhere between that and $1850

What cabelas had them for $1899.00? Here locally they want $2099.00.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
[

The Billings, MT Cabelas had (or has?) the rifles for $1899.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 7:48:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's an awesome collection. Add an MGI Hydra and Robarm XCR and it will be GEN3 perfection.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With some other gen3 friends.

<a href="http://s897.photobucket.com/user/AssSupt/media/mcx/5FDFA945-654E-473E-89FA-C624E4EA36DD_zpsldi41ky1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac180/AssSupt/mcx/5FDFA945-654E-473E-89FA-C624E4EA36DD_zpsldi41ky1.jpg</a>

Thanks. When the funds allow they may be added
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#20]
The one local to me had them at that price

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
[

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 10:27:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
[

They had a $200 off sale going on but it's probably over.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quick update, ran about 300 rounds through my 9" in 5.56mm this weekend. 55gr PMC mostly suppressed. Didn't skip a beat. Ejection pattern didn't seem to change with/without the can. Despite having a sub-10 inch barrel, it was remarkably quiet with the suppressor compared to my other 10" 5.56mm guns(SCAR/AR/P556). Looking forward to trying out .300 Blackout subs next trip.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quick update, ran about 300 rounds through my 9" in 5.56mm this weekend. 55gr PMC mostly suppressed. Didn't skip a beat. Ejection pattern didn't seem to change with/without the can. Despite having a sub-10 inch barrel, it was remarkably quiet with the suppressor compared to my other 10" 5.56mm guns(SCAR/AR/P556). Looking forward to trying out .300 Blackout subs next trip.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=74135&prev=1
View Quote

keep the dirty pics and range report coming?

Any wear in the upper?
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Any wear in the upper?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=74135&prev=1

Any wear in the upper?

Nothing really glaring at this point. Only thing I could see was a couple contact points on the upper under the charging handle latch from contact with the charging handle itself. Completely cosmetic(and you can't even see it unless you're pulling back on the latch). The steel channel inserts seem to be doing their thing. Should also note that whatever lubrication there was on it was from the factory.

I wiped the carrier and bolt down and lubed it with EWL. The finish has darkened on the carrier/bolt, which has been common with my ARs with FailZero carriers. Will do a more extensive teardown when I get through the first case.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#25]
What can are you running?  I was worried about installing a can with the 9" barrel since AAC doesn't warranty them that short.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What can are you running?  I was worried about installing a can with the 9" barrel since AAC doesn't warranty them that short.
View Quote

I used a Surefire -212 that I've had forever. Not really warrantied against that short of barrel but did just fine. Long term plan is a Thunderbeast Ultra-5 to use with both .300 and 5.56.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 5:20:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Here is something interesting for those with 300BLK rifles:

http://www.lehighdefense.com/products/300-aac-blackout-whisper-78gr-high-velocity-close-quarters-lead-free-ammo

Link Posted: 3/15/2015 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I see a few MCXs on Gunbroker and some went for as high as 3K (Pistol) and now a few have no bids. One "slightly used" one for $1849.00

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=473116806
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Here is something interesting for those with 300BLK rifles:

http://www.lehighdefense.com/products/300-aac-blackout-whisper-78gr-high-velocity-close-quarters-lead-free-ammo

View Quote

Interesting. I've been kinda hoping Barnes would make a lightweight .300 bullet. Subsonic isn't as interesting to me as the terminal ballistics of a good supersonic round are.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Maybe a stupid question, but are the MCXs imported or built here. I would love to buy the pistol version and SBR it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Built in NH.
View Quote

Excellent!

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:41:35 AM EDT
[#35]
tag. hopefully going hunting for an MCX tomorrow :D
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Wonder how long it will be until they sell the rifle with just the 5.56 barrel?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:41:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Good review I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eorJWpjazSo
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Price/timeframe on a sbr/pdw kit? If a upper/9in 300blk barrel/5.56barrel/ milspec lower adapter kit is available ill be selling my current upper today.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Price/timeframe on a sbr/pdw kit? If a upper/9in 300blk barrel/5.56barrel/ milspec lower adapter kit is available ill be selling my current upper today.
View Quote

I'm waiting for the 6.75" 300BLK option that Sig said will be available for civilian purchase.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I'm waiting for the 6.75" 300BLK option that Sig said will be available for civilian purchase.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If this is an option I'd prefer it with a matching length 5.56 barrel.

Just curious, I'm not a fan of the stock/s. Could you run a factory milspec ar lower and mvb a.r.c. stock with mcx upper?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Just curious, I'm not a fan of the stock/s. Could you run a factory milspec ar lower and mvb a.r.c. stock with mcx upper?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You need this adapter for the MCX upper to work on an AR lower. You could put the ARC on the folding AR stock adapter at that point, but it isn't going to be as compact as it is on an AR.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#42]
I may have missed something, but are they (sig) going to offer a telescoping stock on the mcx as they did on the mpx? Never been a fan of side folders. If it is available now, will it work with the milspec lower adapter?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:14:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If it is available now, will it work with the milspec lower adapter?
View Quote

I don't see any MCX parts or accessories on the SIG website.  Hopefully they haven't dropped the ball already.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:59:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Telescoping>side folder imho
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:13:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I don't see any MCX parts or accessories on the SIG website.  Hopefully they haven't dropped the ball already.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not going to see parts/uppers until more complete rifles/pistols are out there.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I may have missed something, but are they (sig) going to offer a telescoping stock on the mcx as they did on the mpx? Never been a fan of side folders. If it is available now, will it work with the milspec lower adapter?
View Quote

Any of the MPX stocks should fit the MCX. They are just getting part numbers in the system for the stocks from what I understand, but don't have ship dates.

The first adapter Sig showed appeared to not be milled for telescoping stocks, but the newer one appears to. Can't say for sure though since I've never seen them put a telescoping stock on a standard AR lower. I wouldn't assume they are going to work, but I'll check the dimensions when I get home on my MCX.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You're not going to see parts/uppers until more complete rifles/pistols are out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.  I wouldn't think they'd go hog wild with accessories and different barrels when they don't really know yet what the parts market will look like.  Still, it would be nice to see a 7.62x39 barrel or maybe another stock option for those who've already bought rifles.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yeah.  I wouldn't think they'd go hog wild with accessories and different barrels when they don't really know yet what the parts market will look like.  Still, it would be nice to see a 7.62x39 barrel or maybe another stock option for those who've already bought rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

x39 rifles/uppers/barrels aren't slated until later in the year, so there will still be a wait on those.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:39:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

x39 rifles/uppers/barrels aren't slated until later in the year, so there will still be a wait on those.
View Quote

Well, that's good news.  At least they've got them in the planning pipeline.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:20:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 29
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top