Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:50:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Just an idea.. and not sure of the legalities...

Could AAC cut the back end off the tube, take out baffles, if needed, add a new rear end, recoat and send it back?

I assume since the tube is the serial numbered item, the serial number would not change, just the connection to the rifle.  Assuming what I am reading here is correct, would that solve the issue?
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Full disclosure - We offered a new and improved silencer to replace your existing silencer to which you declined. The last time the silencer was sent in it was tested, measured for concentricity and then repaired. We refinished it shipped back to you.

The Ranger 2 was a direct thread great entry level silencer with a stainless core. The 556-SD we offered features a all Inconel core and improved baffle technology along with the 51T fast attach mounting system. 556-SD is quite a bit of a improvement compared to the discontinued Ranger 2. In the entry level category we do not have a direct thread 556 silencer that is why we offered the 556-SD as a replacement.
View Quote
Seems reasonable if you also pickup the $200 stamp and ship direct back to customer.

OP wants a direct thread on can, so extra points if you weld a flash hider to the can so it becomes a 1/2x28 direct thread.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:04:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
@AAC
How about a $500 MSRP 6" direct thread 556 with wrench flats.
Build it out of whatever you want to keep under 16oz and $500

What's the back story on why the Ranger was canceled?
View Quote
Jesus, Brad, make your own thread for these questions. We want drama!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well this is odd because looking at the manual that came with my ranger 2 it states that it is inconel.
View Quote
FWIW, I have a copy of the Ranger2 Spec Sheet and it states 304SS.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Could AAC cut the back end off the tube, take out baffles, if needed, add a new rear end, recoat and send it back?

I assume since the tube is the serial numbered item, the serial number would not change, just the connection to the rifle.  Assuming what I am reading here is correct, would that solve the issue?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, they could repair it but they won't and say they can't due to parts. It doesn't even need baffles, the thread end could be cut off and a new one welded on. They say they don't have the parts.

Quoted:

Seems reasonable if you also pickup the $200 stamp and ship direct back to customer.

OP wants a direct thread on can, so extra points if you weld a flash hider to the can so it becomes a 1/2x28 direct thread.
Well that would be reasonable IF they had offered to cover the fees which the rep specifically pointed out that they won't. I would also have to purchase muzzle devices to use it.

A flash hider welded would not be acceptable to me, thats one of the issues I've run into with my 762-SD 18T. The only mounts I seemed to be able to get to lock up right without backing off were all flash hiders and they ring like mad after each shot. I bought a few brakes and couldn't get it to lock up on any of them and I had a few people tell me they're just incredible picky and you have to try a few mounts before you get one that indexes right with an individual can. I ordered 10 brakes ($1500 worth) and after lots of testing I found two that my can wouldn't back off and I sold the rest at a loss. All the more reason for aggravation with this company.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
http://www.advanced-armament.com/assets/images/pdf/manuals/aac_manual_ranger.pdf

Right off their site. SS and inconel. I can scan a copy of my manual as well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#7]
OST
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes, they could repair it but they won't and say they can't due to parts. It doesn't even need baffles, the thread end could be cut off and a new one welded on. They say they don't have the parts.

Well that would be reasonable IF they had offered to cover the fees which the rep specifically pointed out that they won't. I would also have to purchase muzzle devices to use it.

A flash hider welded would not be acceptable to me, thats one of the issues I've run into with my 762-SD 18T. The only mounts I seemed to be able to get to lock up right without backing off were all flash hiders and they ring like mad after each shot. I bought a few brakes and couldn't get it to lock up on any of them and I had a few people tell me they're just incredible picky and you have to try a few mounts before you get one that indexes right with an individual can. I ordered 10 brakes ($1500 worth) and after lots of testing I found two that my can wouldn't back off and I sold the rest at a loss. All the more reason for aggravation with this company.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think the mounts are incredibly picky.

Why have you continued to buy from AAC if you hate them so much? You were even considering buying another!

That said, if everything both sides have presented so far is true, AAC should fully refund the OP including the cost of the stamp so he can buy a can that doesn't destroy his groups. If AAC made something comparable, free replacement would make the most sense...but they don't.

All of this is just my opinion, of course. I don't want to be named in the lawsuit.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://www.advanced-armament.com/assets/images/pdf/manuals/aac_manual_ranger.pdf

Right off their site. SS and inconel. I can scan a copy of my manual as well.
View Quote
The spec sheet I had was 2007, however 2008, 2009, 2010 catalogs added Inconel to materials.

OK so it looks like materials changed after 2007.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm sure you are, but only if I settle for a replacement with features that I specifically do not want, plus pay transfer fees, new tax stamp, and buy mounts for this replacement as well.

I really look forward to this being over with so that I can post the recording of the conversation with your rep today admitting that they did not and could not repair my suppressor, as well as revealing your lies about me demanding an upgrade to a $1800 suppressor that I don't even want.
View Quote
Does @AAC still produce the cyclone? That's direct thread.
I will acknowledge your desire to avoid 51t, that's understandable
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe Gemtech should do it form him
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ranger 2 manual link

Wayback machine link from 2010

States 316S and Inconel. My guess is that at that same time they were making the M4-1000 and 762-SD with an inconel blast baffle and SS baffles after that. I sold them retail at the time back when I did that kind of stuff. 316 was probably the tube as well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
You have been on a roll lately
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Damn you
I'm on the phone with someone and laughed out loud when I read this

Quoted:

You have been on a roll lately
I post a ton. Some are worthwhile
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:50:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Once you go remington, you never go back!
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't think the mounts are incredibly picky.

Why have you continued to buy from AAC if you hate them so much? You were even considering buying another!

That said, if everything both sides have presented so far is true, AAC should fully refund the OP including the cost of the stamp so he can buy a can that doesn't destroy his groups. If AAC made something comparable, free replacement would make the most sense...but they don't.

All of this is just my opinion, of course. I don't want to be named in the lawsuit.
View Quote
As someone who has dealt with 18T mounting problems for 7 years now, I do find them picky. When it takes 20+ mounts to find a few that work with your can because of the shitty spring design, that's pretty picky.

The Ranger 2 is the last AAC can I purchased and I bought them all back before I knew better. As far as entertaining the TiRant, well I know many people who have them and I have used them and it's a great can. My gut tells me to avoid them at all cost but I still would have been stubborn enough to change my order had they fixed this problem.

Regardless, my beef is with AAC as they are who wronged me and wouldn't make it right without putting me at a loss. I don't care if anyone does or doesn't agree with me and wants to support them, for their sake I just hope that they are delivered products that they will be satisfied with if they decide to buy from AAC.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
They do but that's a much larger/heavier can and I don't believe it's available is 1/2-28. Any replacement would also require me to pay another tax stamp and any transfer fees which I will not accept under any circumstances... well unless they want to buy me a can from a different company, then I'd gladly pay the stamp... A thunderbolts 556 can would be pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They do but that's a much larger/heavier can and I don't believe it's available is 1/2-28. Any replacement would also require me to pay another tax stamp and any transfer fees which I will not accept under any circumstances... well unless they want to buy me a can from a different company, then I'd gladly pay the stamp... A thunderbolts 556 can would be pretty sweet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Cyclone was discontinued last year. And like the OP said, he's not willing nor should he be made to pay for another stamp.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sounds fair.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Somebody tag Brittingham's stealth account. Let's turn the drama up to 11
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Cyclone was discontinued last year. And like the OP said, he's not willing nor should he be made to pay for another stamp.
View Quote
I think i misunderstood, or maybe i did
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Brad with another glorious idea, bring in the ringer
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Exactly. I would guess they still have stock on it and it is still on their site, but regardless it's not comparable to the can it would be replacing. Not to mention I ordered a Thunderbeast Ultra 7CB last night which is superior to any of theirs and I didn't even really need another 30 cal can, I definitely don't now.

The fact is that they don't have a comparable can to the one that they have determined needs to be replaced, so expecting me to settle for something that I don't want AND pay out of pocket to do so AND waiting for another transfer is ridiculous.

Calculating it out I'd be into the stamp and transfer $250 and another $300 for two brake mounts (so they don't fucking ring) to use it on the two rifles I want to. That's another $550 out of pocket for this ordeal for a total of $1325 including my original costs to have a suppressor that I don't even want. That's more than a OSS or surefire 556 can costs with tax stamp! I'd be money ahead to cut this thing into tiny pieces and mail it to them in a box of dog shit.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Best of luck, OP.

Of course, it wouldn't come down to luck if they did you right.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Tagging for recording of phone call. 
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:04:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

..... That's more than a OSS or surefire 556 can costs with tax stamp! I'd be money ahead to cut this thing into tiny pieces and mail it to them in a box of dog shit.
View Quote
This has been done before and it got some attention...

AAC must have taken a timeout to regroup, or they are one and done again.

ETA: Original Link  - Spikes Lower
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:18:12 PM EDT
[#29]
If AAC doesn't sweeten the offer, I guess you could have them send the can they're willing to provide, then you could sell it without ever taking it off Form 3. Not really a seller's market though.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:19:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Is it still secret?

Ill name names! I better not... Don't want to get sued for releasing secret information.

^^ Not directed at OP!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Fuck it, I'll tag this bitch.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:19:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Look at the brain on Brad!
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:24:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uhhhh ... in the immortal words of Jules Winnfield, "Check out the big brain on Braaaad!" 

(and my cheap tag on this thread)
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:24:38 AM EDT
[#34]
ok, tag...
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:45:07 AM EDT
[#35]
tag, OP is presenting a pretty strong case...

post up the recording OP
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:07:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

AAC must have taken a timeout to regroup, or they are one and done again.
View Quote
Look at the time of your post. Look at the time of their last post. Think about the normal business day.

Also consider that AAC really has nothing to gain by participating in an internet shitfest.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:11:13 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm so in this, TAG.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:21:02 AM EDT
[#38]
1.  I appreciate the OP sharing his experience.

2.  No product machined by humans is always perfect.

3.  Given the timing and regulatory dynamics of Class 3, we all expect manufacturers to be eager to fix our issues - especially when there appears to be a manufacturing defect.  Hell, most manufacturers are eager to fix problems WE create to generate goodwill.

4.  Someone at AAC realized at some point that there was a problem with the product.

5.  AAC APPEARS TO HAVE SENT A DEFECTIVE PRODUCT BACK TO THE CUSTOMER after being given the opportunity to look at it. CARDINAL SIN!

6.  I would be DISGUSTED if I received a can back that was not fixed and without a satisfactory plan to make me whole.  Someone at AAC made a serious mistake here.
This is dishonest behavior and should be recognized as such.  Someone at AAC chose to not fix this problem with their product.  PERIOD.  

7.  The monetary hit AAC avoided by not offering a full refund or a GREAT discount on a new can was really small compared to the effect bad press that exercises like this generate.  Badwill is really expensive and hard to measure.....but it has long-lasting effects.  Think about the cost of that can and the $200 tax stamp in comparison to a magazine ad or a person's monthly salary.  Less than peanuts.......

8.  AAC should be absolutely CERTAIN that posts like these plant a seed of doubt about their company / products with potential customers.  

9.  If AAC comes through for the OP I would appreciate a post.  Let's all try to reward good behavior as vigorosly as we call out shortcomings.  

10.  Good luck OP and AAC.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:25:39 AM EDT
[#39]
OP 1, AAC 0....................................
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 2:10:54 AM EDT
[#40]
I wonder if @BigWaylon or someone else can recommend an SOT who could do this type of repair?  I get that AAC isn't procedurally able to do so, but it seems like a mechanical solution is possible.

I don't think it's exactly fair to ask AAC to "refund" a tax not paid to or through them - sales taxes ARE refundable by law, NFA taxes I suspect not.  I believe OP and most observers here would agree though that avoiding any paying, refunding, or otherwise touching of NFA tax(es) is ideal, so that seems to devolve back to "get it repaired".

If AAC isn't able to repair this themselves, it sure seems like jobbing that out (e.g. AAC paying a reputable 3rd party) to do so would have been / would be the ideal solution.....
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:56:03 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't understand how this wasn't repaired....

If the threads are concentric to the suppressor core, but not the mating shoulder, you should be able to put the can in a 4 jaw chuck, indicate off the core or threads themselves then cut the mating surface so that it is correct. Or maybe I'm missing something here.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:58:20 AM EDT
[#42]
I think expecting a refund of the Tax Stamp is over the top.

The tax stamp is between you and the US Government, not you and AAC.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:01:59 AM EDT
[#43]
To AAC:

You are a manufacturing and engineering firm.  You have a welder, a lathe, a mill, some fixtures, fix the damn thing and be done with it.

Saying it can't be fixed is lame, it's not the same situation as the tube of a Huntertown can blown up.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:17:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
OP 1, AAC 0....................................
View Quote
Yeah... I think the OP has a valid complaint and is reasonable in his expectations.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:23:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Seems reasonable if you also pickup the $200 stamp...
View Quote
I don't think so. Credit to cover the stamp in the form of an upgrade, reasonable, any form of cash outlay, unreasonable. The stamp has nothing to do with them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:28:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Full disclosure - We offered a new and improved silencer to replace your existing silencer to which you declined. The last time the silencer was sent in it was tested, measured for concentricity and then repaired. We refinished it shipped back to you.

The Ranger 2 was a direct thread great entry level silencer with a stainless core. The 556-SD we offered features a all Inconel core and improved baffle technology along with the 51T fast attach mounting system. 556-SD is quite a bit of a improvement compared to the discontinued Ranger 2. In the entry level category we do not have a direct thread 556 silencer that is why we offered the 556-SD as a replacement.

Furthermore from speaking to customer service you had demanded we replace your Ranger 2 (MSRP $549) with a TiTAN-QD 338 silencer (MSRP $1849). We want to keep every customer happy but some times no matter what we do it doesn't end well.

We are truly sorry for the issues and if you do change your mind we are still happy to replace your silencer.
View Quote
I hope you're getting your facts straight and will respond since you posted the above to begin with.

The OP called you an outright liar.  

Either you recieved your information wrong from your co-worker OR the OP us lying.

Honestly, this is one reason why I never think it's a good idea for manufacturers to respond in a internet forum.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 6:46:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Well....tag then. 
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I think expecting a refund of the Tax Stamp is over the top.

The tax stamp is between you and the US Government, not you and AAC.
View Quote
I disagree. The OP had to pay the tax stamp just to take possession of something that was allegedly fucked up from day one due to sole fault of the manufacturer. He should be reimbursed for total out of pocket expense, including the tax stamp and transfer tax in my opinion.

If everything we've read is true, anyway.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Guys, regarding the recording of the phone call, it will not be posted any time soon. I know I have already shared much more info than should be shared in the event of legal action, but the recording is something that I must retain for now regardless of how much I would love to. Sorry.

I also think my intentions of this post may have been miscommunicated based on some of the responses about getting AAC to do the right thing. They have had over 4 years to take care of this issue. For almost a year after the first time it went back, every phone call resulted in denial of a RMA. They have had their chance, and the last chance (yesterday) when they admitted to it being FUBAR and needing replacement they wouldn't even offer a reasonable solution that wouldn't cost me money. At this point even if they were to take care of it 100% it would only be to pay me to shut up and go away. Nothing would change the fact that they didn't care about a customer who was sold a defective item and they failed to do anything about it. This is about far more than money to me, this can was written off as a loss a long time ago. What I would love to see is them apologize, not to me, but to everyone who has had to deal with something like this, and actually put something in place to see that both current and future customers problems are addressed properly and fairly. It would be best for everyone involved, including them as it may actually restore some faith in their brand. Paying me to go away would be a pathetic move on their part.

Quoted:

I don't think so. Credit to cover the stamp in the form of an upgrade, reasonable, any form of cash outlay, unreasonable. The stamp has nothing to do with them.
View Quote
This is absolutely incorrect. The tax stamp is an expense that I incurred in order to receive their defective product which they have had 4 years and multiple chances to fix but couldn't. They absolutely are responsible for this expense.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

9.  If AAC comes through for the OP I would appreciate a post.  Let's all try to reward good behavior as vigorosly as we call out shortcomings.  

View Quote
Good behavior? If it takes posting AAC's mistake and shortcomings on a forum to get results, then how can it ever be called "good behavior"?

Have you ever seen someone having to call out DA, SiCo, Rugged, etc. to get results? NO

I guess that's why I don't buy AAC. I even passed on the $300 tirants years ago.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top